• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Ugh my wireless drill's battery died(had it fully charged) while getting the second basestation set up. Have class to go to so I'll let it charge up and hopefully it'll have enough juice.

SimplexPL

How is a company so completely unaware of when their customer's order will ship ? I mean, don't they have access to the queue and an approximate number of shipments made per day ?

Just called HTC to get an update on my order (pre-authorization has been made like a week ago on my CC), and obviously they were completely unhelpful.

Same here, they just told me "Everything with the order is okay, now wait patiently for it to arrive" (Meaning: we have absolutely no clue when will it ship)

BrettWeir

How is a company so completely unaware of when their customer's order will ship ? I mean, don't they have access to the queue and an approximate number of shipments made per day ?

Just called HTC to get an update on my order (pre-authorization has been made like a week ago on my CC), and obviously they were completely unhelpful.

It seems to be all over the place. People that ordered on April 4th are receiving theirs. I ordered before that. They took money out right at time of order due to PayPal, but no idea when mine will come.

I'm not bitching though....there are still people out there that ordered waaaaaay before I did and have yet to receive theirs.

It makes zero sense.

CaLe

Same here, they just told me "Everything with the order is okay, now wait patiently for it to arrive" (Meaning: we have absolutely no clue when will it ship)

It seems to be all over the place. People that ordered on April 4th are receiving theirs. I ordered before that. They took money out right at time of order due to PayPal, but no idea when mine will come.

I'm not bitching though....there are still people out there that ordered waaaaaay before I did and have yet to receive theirs.

It makes zero sense.

Well that's not very reassuring. Not sure how they expect to have a hit on their hands if they're unable to get products to their customers. From a devs point of view, I wonder what the user base count is right now. Making a good amount of profit selling anything on this device must be quite hard at the moment.

Onemic

I ordered in March and am still waiting.

I'm not really mad though, considering that my shipment was estimated to be in May and May just started.

Just got done a 2 hour session..........Um holy shit. I did not expect to be THAT blown away (Even with high expectations anyway) Just wow

Only downside really is resolution but honestly it doesnt matter once you get going.

Gonna eat some pizza then head back in. Need to do proper headset adjusting to get it tight enough on my head, it was a little wobbly.

SomTervo

I'm getting my Rift today, and here are the currently Vive-only things I'm most jealous of:
  1. The Lab
  2. Budget Cuts demo (and eventually the game)
  3. Tilt Brush
  4. Space Pirate Trainer
  5. TheBlu
  6. Audioshield
  7. Hover Junkers
  8. Job Simulator
  9. Fantastic Contraption
  10. Final Approach
  11. Star Wars: Trials on Tatooine (whenever it arrives)

That's a lot of jelly, pug!

No Vive support on release tho :(

They only recently received their Vive. :/ They said they are working on it though.

My point was that I am more than a little hesitant to spend money on something like VorpX that I might not like. Especially at the price they are asking. Also, knowing how the PC community is with tinkering and putting out stuff like this I decided to wait and see if any cheaper options or better solutions where coming along. At elast something I could try before I buy.

It only makes sense that now as VR is launching people will start to announce all of the projects they have been working on.

Ha, preordered both my Rift and Vive on the day preorders opened, and after waiting and waiting and waiting, the stars align and both my Vive and my Rift are scheduled to arrive on the exact same day. To be fair though, my Vive was always a May estimated delivery, my Rift was estimated to arrive in March.

Edit: sorry probably more appropriate in the shipping thread.

Helznicht

My first couple days with the Vive I thought it was blurry but it still had a significantly bigger sweet spot than the DK2. Then I realized that I was wearing the Vive to low on my face. The bottom should not be on your cheeks but literally resting right on the edge of your cheek bone by the eye sockets. I tightened the top strap and now it's easy to get this position every time. If you wear it like this and get the correct IPD the entire FOV is clear.

I cant understand how moving the HMD up/down clears out the L/Rsides of the view lens if you are still the same distance left and right. Cant wait till I get mine and can tinker with it.

I'm prefacing my post by saying that I really do have a lot of fun while playing games with my vive, so don't take this the wrong way -- I don't regret my purchase.

-----

Man, I've followed every piece of advice on gaf and reddit, and I just can't seem to get the headset situated in a way that feels good. It's just not comfortable.

Also, I have to echo the blurry sentiment. Well, not blurry so much as pixelated, I guess? Hard to explain. Using virtual desktop, text is illegible unless I have my face pressed to the virtual screen.

Things I've tried adjusting:

- straps ad nauseam (even went without and just moved it around while holding it to my face)
- lens distance - even each lens independently
- IP distance (feels like I may be below the minimum)
- headset placement/angle
- foam inserts

Are my head/eyes just not a good fit? Argh, so frustrating.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

Does your head look like the fella on the left or the right?

335889-acc63b0a-5e45-11e3-8eb9-1c57f26bd260.jpg

If your nickname is Bigfoot ...ya might need to make a custom foam insert ;-)

I'm prefacing my post by saying that I really do have a lot of fun while playing games with my vive, so don't take this the wrong way -- I don't regret my purchase.

-----

Man, I've followed every piece of advice on gaf and reddit, and I just can't seem to get the headset situated in a way that feels good. It's just not comfortable.

Also, I have to echo the blurry sentiment. Well, not blurry so much as pixelated, I guess? Hard to explain. Using virtual desktop, text is illegible unless I have my face pressed to the virtual screen.

Things I've tried adjusting:

- straps ad nauseam (even went without and just moved it around while holding it to my face)
- lens distance - even each lens independently
- IP distance (feels like I may be below the minimum)
- headset placement/angle
- foam inserts

Everyones head is going to be different to some degree. I think I must have a weirder than average shaped head and the things that I have found that works for me so far is,

A. Adjusting the cup at the back of the headstraps so that it actually sits further down than most suggest. I had nearly all of the straps tightened all the way before with the cup up higher like most suggest and it was just not staying on my face right while at the same time too tight. So, I moved the cup down further to cradle the back of my head and I found that I don't even have to tighten all of the straps nearly as much as before and it fits much better and stays in place where I need it for best clarity. For me this is absolutely NOT at the tops of my cheek bones like so many others suggest because my forehead slopes back quickly and If I wear it like that the sweet spot is too high for me.

B. I did this custom foam replacement mod. It works wonders for me. This mod is fantastic for me and really increases the FOV and clarity. So much that I can't go back to the stock foam.

After doing those things I can have multiple hours long sessions with no problems at all except for soreness of muscles due to roomscale shenanigans. :p

The only other thing I can think of for you if you are feeling any discomfort on your head where the straps lay is to maybe line the straps with foam by using some Velcro zip ties so you can easily adjust where you need the pressure to be relieved. Different people have differently shaped skulls and this can create points of pressure where due too elevation the pressure from the strap isn't evenly distributed and is instead focused on a smaller area. You would actually want to place the foam or padding on either side of this point in order to distribute the pressure more evenly otherwise it will just end up compressing that spot even more.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I get pressure on rear of my head on the left side - near the triangular strap part. Can't seem to adjust it away. I almost wish I could refocus the screen a little as the sub pixels are so clear (on solid backgrounds especially). Also there is a clear grey 'fabric' look on very dark scenes.

Still bloody great though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ah, ok. AJ and others had me scared there for a second :p
You should be scared. They're acting as if everything is dandy, just a little low res. NO. It is blurry. Move your head, not your eyes? Ok? Who lives like that? It's compromising the experience. Mod this foam, do this, do that... Whatever. I paid $800 for this. I'm not going to mod it like a Kickstarter project. I'll sell it first.

At the end of the day, it works. But to pretend you'll feel magically transported into some alternate reality is crazy. My expectations were too high.

Yes, my gpu is below minimum spec but no, I doubt that's the reason why things are blurry. There's a small sweet spot in the center where things are crisp. Everything else is blurry. I'll keep adjusting my headset but it's always been on my upper cheekbones. I'm just disappointed. I hope adjusting it will fix the blurring but I doubt it. And I'll get Pascal when it comes out. But again, I doubt it'll fix my clarity issue.

I could be doing things wrong. I admit it.

Onemic

You should be scared. They're acting as if everything is dandy, just a little low res. NO. It is blurry. Move your head, not your eyes? Ok? Who lives like that? It's compromising the experience.

At the end of the day, it works. But to pretend you'll feel magically transported into some alternate reality is crazy. My expectations were too high.

Yes, my gpu is below minimum spec but no, I doubt that's the reason why things are blurry. There's a small sweet spot in the center where things are crisp. Everything else is blurry. I'll keep adjusting my headset but it's always been on my upper cheekbones. I'm just disappointed. I hope adjusting it will fix the blurring but I doubt it.

:/

Dont trigger my first experience of VR where I put on a knockoff GearVR that felt like a smartphone strapped to my face.

kinggroin

Banned
You should be scared. They're acting as if everything is dandy, just a little low res. NO. It is blurry. Move your head, not your eyes? Ok? Who lives like that? It's compromising the experience. Mod this foam, do this, do that... Whatever. I paid $800 for this. I'm not going to mod it like a Kickstarter project. I'll sell it first.

Yes, my gpu is below minimum spec but no, I doubt that's the reason why things are blurry. There's a small sweet spot in the center where things are crisp. Everything else is blurry. I'll keep adjusting my headset but it's always been on my upper cheekbones. I'm just disappointed. I hope adjusting it will fix the blurring but I doubt it. And I'll get Pascal when it comes out. But again, I doubt it'll fix my clarity issue.

Sucks man.

If it makes you feel better, I had no issues with focus at any point while playing, and everyone who tried it at the party felt "transported" the way you expected. Fooled by the tech so to speak; it was quite magical. We never had to mod this or follow strap instructions. Throw it on our faces, tighten it up, and just go at it.

Fwiw, I have to wear glasses when using it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Sucks man.

If it makes you feel better, I had no issues with focus at any point while playing, and everyone who tried it at the party felt "transported" the way you expected. Fooled by the tech so to speak; it was quite magical. We never had to mod this or follow strap instructions. Throw it on our faces, tighten it up, and just go at it.

Fwiw, I have to wear glasses when using it.
I bet I'm doing it wrong. I believe you.

Chili

Mine is pretty blurry too on the outer edges, but is mostly noticeable at the bottom which is a shame as that is where a lot of the action will happen as opposed to the top. Case in point, if you open the SteamVR dashboard the three icons for Steam, Desktop and Vive in the bottom-centre are a little blurry.

I've tried a lot of adjusting, but ultimately a large part of it will come down to one's anatomy. Changing the IPD and position of the lens is one thing, but the size of someone's eyes or the curvature of their eyeballs is going to impact things as well, to the point where a different headset's lenses might suit them better. I have to wear the headset pretty low, while others claim that wearing them high so that the bottom rests on your upper cheekbone is better. No way is that the case for me - that makes the middle of the view blurry too. Ironically I wouldn't notice these problems if I wore my glasses instead of contacts.

I have to say though, I never really noticed these issues with the DK2. It could be rose-tinted, fond memories, but while the lenses of the DK2 were plastic and "cheap", they provided great FOV and an all-round clearer picture than the Vive (excluding the difference in actual screen quality), albeit were deficient in other areas/ I think the bigger improvement in the next generation will come from better lenses more than the screens sitting behind them.

Exuro

I'm having some issues where the steamvr window is saying the base stations are set too far apart. I plugged in the sync cable and have the channels set to A and B, but it's still spitting that warning.

wonderpug

Neo Member
That's a lot of jelly, pug!

A week into Rift ownership and I'm very very happy with it, but the long yet indeterminate wait for the Touch controllers is by far the worst part. I'm getting a taste of room scale with games like DreamDeck and Farlands, and they're just screaming out for hand motion controls. Also whenever I demo VR to someone new, the first thing anyone wants to do is reach out and touch things with their hands.

On the plus side, 6+ months may be just enough time for me to convince The Wife we should get rid of our guest bed so I can have more roomscale space.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
My Vive has been at the FedEx facility since 1am, but it said "Not scheduled for delivery" so sat there.

Not too concerned though, working a shift tonight, and when I get off tomorrow morning I will rest a bit, then install the Vive and goooooo.

jaypah

My Vive has been at the FedEx facility since 1am, but it said "Not scheduled for delivery" so sat there.

Not too concerned though, working a shift tonight, and when I get off tomorrow morning I will rest a bit, then install the Vive and goooooo.

Yes, mine arrived 30 minutes away on Sunday morning at 4:30. It sat there all day Sunday and all day today (my last off day until next Sunday). But I can't even be mad that its coming tomorrow, we ordered April 3rd so I'm just happy it's coming at all.

Sorry for the off topic. I've already put all the information about my order in the shipping thread.

mr stroke

Can anyone tell me if its possible to place light houses at hip level or even on the floor?

Ive noticed that its possible, but how is tracking at lower heights...?

Can anyone tell me if its possible to place light houses at hip level or even on the floor?

Ive noticed that its possible, but how is tracking at lower heights...?

I wouldn't recommend putting it anywhere below your head. I'm pretty tall, so it's a bit of a challenge to get it above my head with a clear view of the floor and everything, but if it's anywhere below my head tracking inevitably goes nuts (hands floating away, playspace shifting position, etc.). Given that nausea usually coincides with those kind of experiences, I wouldn't chance it.

I'd say that having it above your head is really the only way to have tracking be as reliable as possible.

Everyones head is going to be different to some degree. I think I must have a weirder than average shaped head and the things that I have found that works for me so far is,

A. Adjusting the cup at the back of the headstraps so that it actually sits further down than most suggest. I had nearly all of the straps tightened all the way before with the cup up higher like most suggest and it was just not staying on my face right while at the same time too tight. So, I moved the cup down further to cradle the back of my head and I found that I don't even have to tighten all of the straps nearly as much as before and it fits much better and stays in place where I need it for best clarity. For me this is absolutely NOT at the tops of my cheek bones like so many others suggest because my forehead slopes back quickly and If I wear it like that the sweet spot is too high for me.

B. I did this custom foam replacement mod. It works wonders for me. This mod is fantastic for me and really increases the FOV and clarity. So much that I can't go back to the stock foam.

After doing those things I can have multiple hours long sessions with no problems at all except for soreness of muscles due to roomscale shenanigans. :p

The only other thing I can think of for you if you are feeling any discomfort on your head where the straps lay is to maybe line the straps with foam by using some Velcro zip ties so you can easily adjust where you need the pressure to be relieved. Different people have differently shaped skulls and this can create points of pressure where due too elevation the pressure from the strap isn't evenly distributed and is instead focused on a smaller area. You would actually want to place the foam or padding on either side of this point in order to distribute the pressure more evenly otherwise it will just end up compressing that spot even more.

Letting the top strap out enough for it to cradle the very back of my head, with the foam insert bent out around the nose/cheekbones, seems like an improvement. I don't have a small nose at all, but there was a significant gap before. Doing it this way the headset is touching my nose now, but not resting on it. Not a huge improvement in clarity or comfort, but I'll take what I can get! Thinking about doing that foam mod you linked... [Edit: Bought lol]

I wonder, does the 'cup' in the rear rest snugly against the back of your head? It doesn't for me and I'm not sure if it should. Kind of wish it was a less rigid material.

Jams775

I could be doing things wrong. I admit it.

I don't know. You could have everything set up right but the way it is just bothers you. I think almost every other time I put the headset on I almost get obsessed and a bit nervous trying to fit it to the best position. Then I eventually say, "fuck this" and give up and forget about it. Once I do, I forget all about the blurry parts. It does help though that I'm a bit near sighted so I'm used to everything being a bit blurry.

Do you maybe have super vision or something?

Starviper

Got my Vive all setup and I love it! I will say that the blur on the edges of the lenses is annoying and i've tried fine tuning as much as possible but it's what I expected going into it.

Space Pirate Trainer is a great time and so is The Lab, gotta try out some more stuff still.

One thing I am wondering - I have my TV + 2 monitors and Vive hooked up. I got my main gaming monitor setup as the main, but is there a way to display Vive games in fullscreen automatically on the TV? I can do it manually but I feel there's a better way to configure that.

Justin

Got my Vive today but I haven't gotten to codes for the games yet. Does it usually take a few days? I have been checking my spam folder.

Got my Vive today but I haven't gotten to codes for the games yet. Does it usually take a few days? I have been checking my spam folder.

That's strange. I got my codes 2 days ago and my Vive doesn't arrive until tomorrow. Maybe there is an issue with your email? Did you get all of the other Vive emails? Shipping etc?

kaskade

I thought the codes were supposed to come in 24 hours after it ships. Hopefully mine does I can't wait to try job simulator.

Ok so I love what ive done with my Vive today and resolution is fine, it's low but you get over it. What i cant get over is my vision just being shit in real life and shit in VR, my glasses fit and work well to help make everything clear. BUUT every time im done and take my headset off the lenses have a werid "breath on glass" like effect only it doesn't wipe away like that, it goes away on its own but not immediatly. I've only used my glasses in the Vive twice but stuff like that worries me. Is it fine or should just take the plunge and get contacts?

I think I have a broken vive controller. The top right part of the pad isn't clicking in. You can't make the blue balloons in the tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJJ4T1AzY7w

Anyone have any issues like this?

I initially had an issue with the bottom-left of the touchpad on my left Vive controller, but it seemed to quickly resolve itself after doing some other stuff outside of the tutorial. When looking at the controllers in VR, the little dot that shows where you are touching would flicker on and off or just not appear. It is fine now. Not sure what happened.

Exuro

I initially had an issue with the bottom-left of the touchpad on my left Vive controller, but it seemed to quickly resolve itself after doing some other stuff outside of the tutorial. When looking at the controllers in VR, the little dot that shows where you are touching would flicker on and off or just not appear. It is fine now. Not sure what happened.
Does is click in like the rest of the pad? It seems on both controllers that it doesn't press in as far in the top right as the rest of the pad.

edit: Yeah I think I'm going to have to get these exchanged. The top right quadrant on both pads are having issues. Ones a bit worse in that you can't press down and the other you can kind of press down, but both of them seem to not be physically correct. I grabbed my steam controller and it's perfectly clickable everywhere while this isn't. Going to have to get them exchanged which I've heard is a hassle with htc. Sucks since it isn't a huge problem but it can stop games from working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom