• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine will be at my house tomorrow!
I've got 2 shelves in the opposite corners of my room

One is

Height: 64 1/8 " (163 cm)

And the other

Height: 74 3/4 " (190 cm)

Is it okay if they're different heights? The room is about 11x11 and should have a decent amount of floor space

Also I think I'm gonna get audioshield for sure. Is hover junkers still well liked?

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'm very excited about getting my Vive tomorrow. Fortunately, it falls right at the beginning of a lengthy vacation from work. This reminds me of getting a Super Nintendo during the Christmas break and being able to play almost nonstop during those days off. It's going to be a great vacation.

Hari Seldon

Mine is on a truck! I was going to cancel it since I am still waiting for graphics cards but I am glad I didn't now lol.

Anyway, since I can't really play any of the real VR games, is Vorpx legit? How is it for 3rd person games?

taco543

Order Date: 3/2/2016
Pre-order Authorization Email : 4/25/2016
Card Authorized : 4/26/2016
Ship Date: 5/02/2016
Shipping Notification Email : 5/03/2016
Expected Delivery Date: 5/04/2016
Cmon!

Order Date: 2/29/2016
Pre-order Authorization Email : 4/25/2016
Card Authorized : 4/26/2016
Ship Date: N/A
Shipping Notification Email : N/A
Expected Delivery Date: N/A

I have never dealt with digital river, but this has been a fucking joke from start to finish. I hope never have to deal with them again.

Anyone know how the Vive is with a smaller play space? Like 6.3 feet by 7 feet?

Depends on the game, I think. That's about the size of my space, and it does feel a little cramped sometimes. Mostly games that allow for a lot of moving around -- I get so absorbed in what I'm doing that I forget to use the teleport feature every so often.

how long is the HDMI cable in the box? 1m?

Shorter I think. I used my own that's around 1m instead.

Just tried Euro Truck Simulator 2 again and quickly remembered how fast that game made me feel sick when I used the DK2, particularly while trying to park the trailer. I'm perfectly fine playing windlands, any flight games, and even most driving games that doesn't have as much stop-and-go motion. My body would try to compensate for the expected g-force by leaning backwards during braking and forward during acceleration. I think I may also have to do with the proximity of buildings, crates, and other object closely nearby while inside the parking areas. Does anyone else experience something similar?

I have played around with American Truck Sim quite a bit now, and I was actually surprised how it hasn't made me uncomfortable at all, even with some bad performance in cities.

Try to open your config.cfg file (located somewhere in documents/euro truck simulator 2/profiles/) and make sure that these settings are set:
uset g_hmd_no_artifical_movement "1"
uset g_cam_physics "0"
uset g_cam_steering "0"
uset o_openvr_independent_timewarp "0"
uset o_openvr_interleaved_reproject "1"
uset r_manual_stereo_buffer_scale "1"

That last setting is what you use for scaling instead of the ingame option. Ingame menu should be set to 100%, and then you use this to scale up or down (0.75 for 75%, 2 for 200% and so on). I had to leave it at 1 because of performance, but it makes reading some of the dashboards pretty hard.

The o_openvr_independent_timewarp and o_openvr_interleaved_reproject options are mutually exclusive. You either set 1 on one of them or 0 at both. I found that o_openvr_interleaved_reproject worked best, so this config will put it like that.

There might also be some other options ingame that introduces artificial cabin movement. Can't really remember, but double check to make sure anything that introduces extra movement is disabled or set to minimum value.

I know theres a vive shipment thread but just wanted to ask this one question here since its alot more populated.

Was charged last Monday and checked bank account and its back in there today. I called friday and they said they got the payment. No reason to be concerned right?

jaypah

I know theres a vive shipment thread but just wanted to ask this one question here since its alot more populated.

Was charged last Monday and checked bank account and its back in there today. I called friday and they said they got the payment. No reason to be concerned right?

Nope, happened to a lot of folks. Some got shipping info shortly after that and some had to wait a bit longer but it seems like that's par for the course.

Just wall mounted the lighthouses. The packed rawl plugs and screws are pretty naff. I think they're masonry plugs however try as I might the screw would not open the plug... Even when using a hammer drill. I'm not particularly DIY minded so I nipped to our local hardware store and the chap looked at them said "they're pish, use these" and handed me some other plugs and screws better suited to the plaster walls I'm using.

Back to the play space and banged the new plugs up and mounted the lighthouses inside 5 minutes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mine will be at my house tomorrow!
I've got 2 shelves in the opposite corners of my room

One is

Height: 64 1/8 " (163 cm)

And the other

Height: 74 3/4 " (190 cm)

Is it okay if they're different heights? The room is about 11x11 and should have a decent amount of floor space

Also I think I'm gonna get audioshield for sure. Is hover junkers still well liked?

quoting myself from the previous page:

You might get away with it. The issue with height is not tracking, it's synchronising with the other base station. If they can't see each other then they can lose sync and you lose tracking. Having them above head height means they can see each other while you're walking about. On the floor or waist height means you'll be blocking them regularly.

Two ways around it
1) you might get lucky. If you have light coloured walls and the base stations aren't too far apart, the sync pulse might get through via reflections. Not sure I'd want to trust it as a long term solution though

2) sync cable. If you connect the base stations with the included 3.5mm cable then they don't need optical sync, and you can put them at ground level just fine. Be careful you don't vibrate them when walking around though or it'll mess up tracking

edit: oh, a nice £20 phone bill for calling htc supprt when my payment failed. Along with the £50 postage thats £70 it cost me to have the benefit of being made to wait several weeks because of their cockups.

So finally got my Vive yesterday. Had an annoying setback where drilling the mounts in to the wall was unfeasible so I had to jury rig a setup with the lighthouses sitting on stacks of boxes. Luckily tracking worked totally fine other than cutting my play space down about a foot or so since I couldn’t angle them downward. Didn’t get to play everything but first impressions:

Headset:
First thing I noticed was the sweet spot was a lot larger than I expected. I guess I had really low expectations thanks to this thread lol. I was expecting to never be able to move my eyes beyond a straight ahead position but I only really had trouble focusing when looking at the very edge and, more particularly, down.

The cord wasn’t too much of a distraction but was definitely annoying at times. Definitely a few moments during Holopoint and SPT where I stepped on it too high and it yanked my head back. If I could have just one improvement for the Vive2, it would be a wireless headset (I know that won’t be any time soon though).

Overall though really happy with it. Pretty comfortable. Looks great.

Game Highlights:

TheBlu
Started with this first and only did the whale one but wasn’t as blown away as others were as a first time experience.

Irrational Exuberance
This on the other hand was pretty amazing. The first time I busted through the wall and saw space I was kind of blown away. I think as a first time experience, this one is the way to go since it starts you out in a small environment that encourages you to move around and mess with it and you’re rewarded with your world opening up. It kind of drags on after the first “wormhole” though. Really curious to see what the rest of it will be.

Holopoint
I was hating on this game due to the not so great art direction, but the actual game itself is totally legit. People weren’t lying when they said you feel like a badass playing it. I came out of this one sweating with my heart pumping hard. I’m still not totally grasping when I need or don't need to grab a new arrow from my back though.

Space Pirate Trainer
Pretty fun though I had a hard time aiming. The sights weren’t working too well for me specifically. They just did an update adjusting the barrel angle so I’ll have to mess with it. Honestly, I wasn’t as hot on this as others seem to be, but it’s definitely fun. Just feels a bit shallow at the moment.

The Lab
Didn’t get to go through all of it but really enjoyed all the Aperture Labs experiences. GLADOS is huge! Also Xortex needs to be a whole game.

Audioshield
Just as awesome as I expected. I loaded up a few of my friend’s songs (mostly dance stuff) and had a damn blast. I probably played this the longest and kind of had to force myself to stop so I could try other stuff.

So yeah. Had a lot of fun. Can’t wait to get back to it. I have a bunch of meatier experiences I want to get to (The Gallery, Budget Cuts, Hover Junkers, Final Approach, etc) but will probably save most of it for later in the week when I have more time. Still waiting on my free game codes too >:| which sucks because I’m dieing to try TiltBrush. Also demoed it for my GF and her friend (neither of which re gamers) and they were pretty blown away.

Just got notification that my Vive is coming today instead of tomorrow! So... two questions. And yes, I think both have already been addressed, I apologize.

1. Can you control and load programs via mouse on the PC for the person with the Vive headset on? My dad is coming this weekend and I would like to demo it for him, but I am concerned about him being able to navigate the menus.

2. When do you get your "free codes" email for the downloads?

Just got notification that my Vive is coming today instead of tomorrow! So... two questions. And yes, I think both have already been addressed, I apologize.

1. Can you control and load programs via mouse on the PC for the person with the Vive headset on? My dad is coming this weekend and I would like to demo it for him, but I am concerned about him being able to navigate the menus.

Yep.

This is kind of random. You're supposed to get them within about 24 hours of shipping, but I got my Vive yesterday and still don't have a code. I had to contact HTC yesterday and the rep confirmed they never sent it and he had to push it out to me (which somehow takes 24 hours). That's not uncommon so if you haven't received it yet, you might want to contact them (after checking your spam folder).

Schryver

Welp. As I feared got the official cancellation notice today (after I changed my mind and tried to un-cancel last week). Let's see what my options are

1. Yes
2. I got it later the same day they had sent my headset. My friend didn't get it at all and had to talk to support.

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate the help.

Has anyone tried the early access Descent Underground? I am so tempted, being that it was one of my favorite games as a kid.

I'm kinda surprised by how visible the black rings of the lenses are. A lot of times it destroys the immersion when im in game. Is there some adjustment I can make to alleviate that?

I'm kinda surprised by how visible the black rings of the lenses are. A lot of times it destroys the immersion when im in game. Is there some adjustment I can make to alleviate that?

Outside of the lens width and lens distance or focal length there isn't much you can do. That's just a limitation of first gen hardware for the rift, vive and PSVR.

I find myself forgetting its even there as soon as I start a game or experience.

Jams775

Has anyone tried the early access Descent Underground? I am so tempted, being that it was one of my favorite games as a kid.

I keep forgetting to ask about that. The only problem I have with purchasing that game right now is that I'm told it's only multiplayer. Otherwise I haven't heard anyone talk about what it's like in VR.

Hahah dammit.

Out of the blue I got my shipping notification that my Vive is being delivered today.

Except my room isn't quite set up yet. And I need to make space on my computer for all the games. And the Overwatch beta is out. And I stayed up til 2 playing it last night. And I want to keep playing it. I think I'm going to end up falling asleep with my Vive on tonight and fall over breaking the thing on my first day lol

RedFox85

Should be at my house tomorrow as well! I am so hyped.. everything was quiet and then BAM email with fedex info and it's coming TOMORROW? Wow.. I am not ready, I don't know what to expect really as I have 0 exposure to VR or even HMD's. I plan on diving into tiltbrush asap.. I enjoy drawing so it sounds like it will be a good fit! The only bummer is that I can't take a day off of work for this.. hah.. well it's going to be a long week.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I keep forgetting to ask about that. The only problem I have with purchasing that game right now is that I'm told it's only multiplayer. Otherwise I haven't heard anyone talk about what it's like in VR.

I played it for a few minutes and was pretty disappointed with it. I loved the series growing up and it is still early, but it didn't do much for me. Maybe it will grow on me. I need to give it a fair shot.

Outside of the lens width and lens distance or focal length there isn't much you can do. That's just a limitation of first gen hardware for the rift, vive and PSVR.

I find myself forgetting its even there as soon as I start a game or experience.
Between chaperone, headset weight, cord, lense artifacts, and small sweet spot, something always prevents me from getting fully immersed. I feel like I'm constantly fighting against one aspect of limited gen 1 tech at any given moment

If I'm golfing I notice the headset weight when I'm holding my head sideways in the golfing pose...

In Holopoint I notice the cord and have to be conscious of which direction I turn how many times...

In Audioshield I notice my blurry peripheral and have to be conscious not to swivel my head too quickly...

I'm hoping a bigger play space will help a bit with immersion and take one less worry off my plate. Those few fleeting moments when I forget about the headset instead of battling it are wonderful. Can't wait for the killer games (or tech) that make it permanent

Zaptruder

Banned
So I played Fruit Ninja VR ZenBlade tonight. Not bad. Then I decided to copy the Node guys and velcro (2-sided reusable velcro) my Vive controller to my bokken (a wooden training katana).

Man... oh man. Oh man. So so good. Having the weight and the heft, changes the game a lot. Your swings are actually more accurate as the momentum is carrying it forward and stabilizing it. It's incredibly satisfying to swing then swing back again in the other direction - your two hands counterbalance the sword and allows you to keep the momentum up.

Plus its taking real and considerable energy. My hands are fatigued and a little shaky after an hour long session.

Kinda like the difference between a force feedback steering wheel and a Mario Kart plastic shell controller.

I can forsee people selling plastic or other shell attachments for these controllers to help create the same sense of tactile feedback and handling of more realistic weapons. Especially as we start to see more and more weapon combat games coming out.

And for once, they won't be useless gimmicky crap (although some, maybe even most will be due to poor design). Just make sure you have a lot of room clear. Luckily I only bashed the curtains in front of my wardrobe once.

Between chaperone, headset weight, cord, lense artifacts, and small sweet spot, something always prevents me from getting fully immersed. I feel like I'm constantly fighting against one aspect of limited gen 1 tech at any given moment

If I'm golfing I notice the headset weight when I'm holding my head sideways in the golfing pose...

In Holopoint I notice the cord and have to be conscious of which direction I turn how many times...

In Audioshield I notice my blurry peripheral and have to be conscious not to swivel my head too quickly...

I'm hoping a bigger play space will help a bit with immersion and take one less worry off my plate. Those few fleeting moments when I forget about the headset instead of battling it are wonderful. Can't wait for the killer games (or tech) that make it permanent

I agree on Holopoint, the cable completely fucks up the enjoyment of it, but I'm hoping my dual dog lead ceiling setup for getting the cable off the floor will work out tomorrow.

The arcade shooter game in the Lab is the best experience I've had so far with the Vive. Most of the other experiences have been disappointingly underwhelming.

Hari Seldon

Welp. As I feared got the official cancellation notice today (after I changed my mind and tried to un-cancel last week). Let's see what my options are

I cancelled like the day after it said order processing or whatever, 6 days went by, and they shipped it anyway and said I could refuse shipment if I wanted to return it. I'm keeping it lol.

So I played Fruit Ninja VR ZenBlade tonight. Not bad. Then I decided to copy the Node guys and velcro (2-sided reusable velcro) my Vive controller to my bokken (a wooden training katana).

Man... oh man. Oh man. So so good. Having the weight and the heft, changes the game a lot. Your swings are actually more accurate as the momentum is carrying it forward and stabilizing it. It's incredibly satisfying to swing then swing back again in the other direction - your two hands counterbalance the sword and allows you to keep the momentum up.

Plus its taking real and considerable energy. My hands are fatigued and a little shaky after an hour long session.

Kinda like the difference between a force feedback steering wheel and a Mario Kart plastic shell controller.

I can forsee people selling plastic or other shell attachments for these controllers to help create the same sense of tactile feedback and handling of more realistic weapons. Especially as we start to see more and more weapon combat games coming out.

And for once, they won't be useless gimmicky crap (although some, maybe even most will be due to poor design). Just make sure you have a lot of room clear. Luckily I only bashed the curtains in front of my wardrobe once.

Just remember to switch your grip and stance every now and then to properly strengthen the other side of your body as well. I do that with holopoint and any kind of weapons training that I do for that matter. I will have to try doing the Velcro thing with my bokken as well.

Zalusithix

And the number of broken TVs etc will skyrocket. Considering chaperone bounds assume the controller is the furthest point, anything that extends the controller will poke through the bounds before a warning even shows up. You'd have to artificially shrink your bounds to be safe, and that requires some foresight - something people have repetitively shown to lack.

I agree on Holopoint, the cable completely fucks up the enjoyment of it, but I'm hoping my dual dog lead ceiling setup for getting the cable off the floor will work out tomorrow.

Tell me more!
I love Holopoint, but the I feel the lead stops me from getting really good scores. It's the one game where I feel I need a solution for the trailing wire.
How are you using the dog leads?

I keep having controller tracking issues. 90% of the time it works fine, but occasionally when I open steamVR and then turn on the controllers, they track initially but then steam VR turns white and the controllers disappear. The only way I've gotten them to work again is through resetting and repairing them. This has happened three times now. Has anyone else had this issue or know why it could be doing this?

Zaptruder

Banned
And the number of broken TVs etc will skyrocket. Considering chaperone bounds assume the controller is the furthest point, anything that extends the controller will poke through the bounds before a warning even shows up. You'd have to artificially shrink your bounds to be safe, and that requires some foresight - something people have repetitively shown to lack.

It's possible to design the attachment so that the controller is the furthest element out.

I keep having controller tracking issues. 90% of the time it works fine, but occasionally when I open steamVR and then turn on the controllers, they track initially but then steam VR turns white and the controllers disappear. The only way I've gotten them to work again is through resetting and repairing them. This has happened three times now. Has anyone else had this issue or know why it could be doing this?

Happens to me all the time. I shake them before doing anything else. Works more often than not.

I had a similar issue, but haven't had it again since I turned the camera down from 60 to 45 fps.

Tell me more!
I love Holopoint, but the I feel the lead stops me from getting really good scores. It's the one game where I feel I need a solution for the trailing wire.
How are you using the dog leads?

It gets in the way so badly, it's the only game that I manage to pull the cable out from the breakout box whilst playing, so tangled.

I'm gonna make an YouTube video tomorrow if it works, but it should do, but it's basically 2 hooks that screw into the coving or ceiling (coving seems better) basically opposite each other across the room, hang a retractable dog lead on each one, run the headset cable up the wall, attach to the dog lead clip so it's taught and holds the cable up, run the headset cable along the ceiling, pull out other dog lead and attach prob about 3/4 metre up the headset, then it's completely suspended in the air, with a vertical bit of cable above your head, then each lead will retract and pull as necessary, with no chance of the cable being pulled out either.

The good thing with dog leads is they have spinning clips which will move/rotate when you do, helping movement.

It gets in the way so badly, it's the only game that I manage to pull the cable out from the breakout box whilst playing, so tangled.

I'm gonna make an YouTube video tomorrow if it works, but it should do, but it's basically 2 hooks that screw into the coving or ceiling (coving seems better) basically opposite each other across the room, hang a retractable dog lead on each one, run the headset cable up the wall, attach to the dog lead clip so it's taught and holds the cable up, run the headset cable along the ceiling, pull out other dog lead and attach prob about 3/4 metre up the headset, then it's completely suspended in the air, with a vertical bit of cable above your head, then each lead will retract and pull as necessary, with no chance of the cable being pulled out either.

The good thing with dog leads is they have spinning clips which will move/rotate when you do, helping movement.

You mean something like this?

Setup in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8otQV_h_eMU

How to set it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTRzImvAuik

I was having this issue and also with the lighthouses being weird. I turned down the refresh rate on the camera from 60hz to 30 hz in the SteamVR settings, and it made all the difference in the world. The only issue I have now is that my projector is causing an issue with my lighthouses. I guess the light from the projector was causing interference with the IR or something, but it's not a terrible issue.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing a YT vid when it's done. Post a link when you're done please.

Still not sure if the Mrs is gonna put up with more shit being attached to our lounge walls ;-)

Yeah pretty similar, not liking the ID retractors though, so short, don't think he's using any kind of rotating clips either.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing a YT vid when it's done. Post a link when you're done please.

Still not sure if the Mrs is gonna put up with more shit being attached to our lounge walls ;-)

The only things you'll see are the metal hooks, you can assemble and take the leads down really easily. My wife would have been crying too if it wasn't for that.

Tadie

So today I downloaded BlazeRush in the Oculus Store and use it with LibreVr with my Vive.

Man, this Game rockz!

I can really recommend it. It's just 10$ and really really awesome.

Audioshield is pretty amazing, especially if you like to dance or enjoy games like DDR. It's particularly fantastic if you choose a good song.

On another note, I still can't get headphones to work with the Vive. There's some crazy issue where it is stuck at 0% volume. Regardless if I try to raise the volume within steamVR or volume mixer, the bar jumps down to 0% immediately. I'm at a loss here and it's really ruining the immersion for some games.

This has been a buggy beginning to VR for me.

I asked this before but didn't get any replies. What are you guys using to record your screen? I want to record a few of my Audioshield and eventually Tilt Brush play throughs.

Okay. Prepare to be amazed by my stupid question.

The headset is connected via HDMI. My monitor is connected via DVI. The monitor correctly shows the display. Sound is coming through fine. But, I have no video from the headset.

Anything I am doing wrong?

Compsiox

Banned
Okay. Prepare to be amazed by my stupid question.

The headset is connected via HDMI. My monitor is connected via DVI. The monitor correctly shows the display. Sound is coming through fine. But, I have no video from the headset.

Anything I am doing wrong?

Make sure SteamVR is installed and USBs are in tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom