• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Chief

Okay. Prepare to be amazed by my stupid question.

The headset is connected via HDMI. My monitor is connected via DVI. The monitor correctly shows the display. Sound is coming through fine. But, I have no video from the headset.

Anything I am doing wrong?

Have you launched SteamVR? Are both lighthouses plugged in and powered on?

Okay. Prepare to be amazed by my stupid question.

The headset is connected via HDMI. My monitor is connected via DVI. The monitor correctly shows the display. Sound is coming through fine. But, I have no video from the headset.

Anything I am doing wrong?

What does the SteamVR status indicator say? Is the headset tracked and on?
Make sure you're connections to the breakout box are going to the correct devices and that the power is on.

Exuro

So how's everyone's experience with the tracking? The headset seems to be perfect, but my controllers like to wobble/jitter and move around here and there. Not sure if that's just something that or if there's something I can do to fix that.

artsi

Audioshield is pretty amazing, especially if you like to dance or enjoy games like DDR. It's particularly fantastic if you choose a good song.

It's great but I'm still waiting for something like it that allows people to make / share their own rhythm patterns, Audioshield feels too random most of the time :/

Compsiox

Banned
So how's everyone's experience with the tracking? The headset seems to be perfect, but my controllers like to wobble/jitter and move around here and there. Not sure if that's just something that or if there's something I can do to fix that.

Minimize reflections and close blinds. That's it really.

Do TVs generally create reflection problems? I've got a 55" in the same room as where I'm going to be setting up my Vive, wondering if I'm going to need to cover it with a sheet or not.

Same here...a 50" super reflective plasma no less. I'll try it covered, but I need that TV to function as my monitor too.

Monger

Can you isolate it to any specific area?

Turn off any extras like camera and Bluetooth to see if it matters, minimize reflections, and make sure the boxes are well secured/damped so they can't wobble.

The only issues I've had is when one of my boxes moved somehow. Threw off tracking in one area of the play space.

Edit:
Do TVs generally create reflection problems? I've got a 55" in the same room as where I'm going to be setting up my Vive, wondering if I'm going to need to cover it with a sheet or not.

Same here...a 50" super reflective plasma no less. I'll try it covered, but I need that TV to function as my monitor too.

My Plasma tv hasn't been an issue. Others have had issues with IR emission from the tv or reflections.

What does the SteamVR status indicator say? Is the headset tracked and on?
Make sure you're connections to the breakout box are going to the correct devices and that the power is on.

All of the settings are reading green. I can see what I am supposed to see, but the headset is black. I am even getting proper sound.

It's great but I'm still waiting for something like it that allows people to make / share their own rhythm patterns, Audioshield feels too random most of the time :/

Yeah, I agree - it's best when the patterns are really in sync with the music. There was one EDM song from the popular list that was particularly well done, but many feel random.

Used my Vive for a grand total of 20 mins earlier. My first ever real exposure to VR.

It's incredible, the deep sea angler experience was stunning. I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow.

Which mod did you use on yours?

I replaced the stock foam with the foam from my Gear VR. It's not quite as good as no-foam (which is hardly a mod at all and apparently pretty inadvisable), but it's comfy for long stretches and the clarity/FOV improvement is fantastic.

So, maybe you more knowledgeable folk can help me out here. I can't seem to get antialiasing to turn on in Minecraft on the Vive. When I press on the button it just does nothing but the option isn't greyed out or anything. What am I doing wrong?

I also can't access Minecraft through Radeon Settings in order to set the antialiasing from there. Minecraft just won't show up in the list of games even when I do a scan.

Was it blurry to you?

I found my first setup experience blurry. I then took of my glasses, brought the lenses tight into my face and tightened the head cover so that it was on correctly as it was too loose originally.

By the time I had TheBlu on it was sharp. I will say that I probably benefit being a glasses wearer be used I'm used to turning my head to see something rather than simply moving my eyes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So, maybe you more knowledgeable folk can help me out here. I can't seem to get antialiasing to turn on in Minecraft on the Vive. When I press on the button it just does nothing but the option isn't greyed out or anything. What am I doing wrong?

I also can't access Minecraft through Radeon Settings in order to set the antialiasing from there. Minecraft just won't show up in the list of games even when I do a scan.

Try adding javaw.exe in Radeon settings

kinggroin

Banned
img_20160503_170339fgku5.jpg

Justin

Has anyone has any success getting into chat with support. I have been trying all day but is says the support team is unavailable. I want my codes :(

Trojan

Do the Vive base stations have a 120 degree tracking angle in all directions, or just to the sides? I believe they said to angle them down 30-45 degrees but I wasn't sure if that 120 degree angle applied to all directions.

Has anyone has any success getting into chat with support. I have been trying all day but is says the support team is unavailable. I want my codes :(

They've never been available, HTC chat is apparently an AI customer service experiment gone wrong. I guess they pulled the plug.

First evening with the Vive. Is it blurry? Sure, it's not perfect, but the "sweet spot" is better than I was fearing, and once you're in a game, everything else goes out the window and you're just there. A joyous experience.

The FOV is less than I'd hoped, very much viewing through goggles, but this is the ground floor and for a first gen cutting edge product, it's astonishing. The mapping is beyond belief. And the cable is a non-issue, you've adapted and moving it without thinking within seconds.

Only issue I had was towards the end of the evening the headset would flick to grey for a second or two before the image returns. I'm not sure if that's a tracking issue? I'll look in to it. It didn't happen at first.

Blown away, future of gaming, yadda yadda I'm just repeating what others have said.

I've hardly touched any software, just flicked around a bit with Audioshield, SPT, Zombie Trainer (something like that), TheBlu and Tilt Brush. Every single experience was astounding.

Vive arrived today. Some quick notes:

Setting up the Lighthouses was far easier than I had anticipated. I've got a ~8ft tall bookshelf in one corner, but the other corner only has a ~4ft tall counter that would be suitable. Plugged both in, they saw each other immediately. Awesome. Placed it on top of some of the Vive's packing foam, and they track pretty much perfectly, down to the floor.

Installation went far more smoothly than the Rift. No issues with USB3 ports not being USB3 enough, etc. Weird hiccup when I attempted to install the Bluetooth driver: it totally killed the Vive, giving me a red light on the HMD that persisted through reboots, removing the BT driver, etc. Running Vive Home seems to have reset it.

Chaperone / camera are a game-changer, coming from the Rift. Being able to quickly see (for real) what's outside the HMD is great. Definitely makes it more likely that I'd use this thing, knowing that I can reach for a remote easily, etc. I can even read notifications that come in on my Apple Watch, if I hold it *right* up to the camera!

Interface is much more intuitive than Oculus' solution. Being able to point at the option you want to click with the tracked controllers is better than aiming with your head. SteamVR is a bit flaky, but isn't as... odd as Oculus Home felt.

Picture / optics quality: Upon first wearing it, noticed that the Vive sweet spot felt far smaller than the Rift, with anything outside of it *very* blurry. Looking for an unrelated support topic and...

em2CORZ.png

GDI.

newsguy

Got my Vive in. So far all good but the sound seems low. Any tips? I put the sound in my steam settings and computer audio settings all the way up

I ordered some thin foam + velcro and made a thinner padding for mine- it really reduces the blurriness at the edges for me (best is with no padding attached- but my thinner one, approx 3mm is a good compromise).

I just drew around one of the other ones on to the foam, cut it out, and then I've crudely attached velcro to it (the self-adhesive type). I honestly didn't even do a very good job of it, and it's such an improvement!

Absinthe

Anyone looking to buy my Vive? It arrived today (Unopened) and I have decided to keep my Rift instead. I don't have the space to enjoy room-scale and convincing the wife to let me create the space is proving to be more of a challenge than I anticipated.

I prefer to avoid Ebay if I can and I would rather someone on GAF get it. PM me if interested, Thank you.

Exuro

Man I just tried The Foo Show. I wasn't expecting much as I'd watched a video of it, but wow it was pretty fantastic. It might be the first time I've felt presence. I'm not sure what it is that did it but it was wild, despite being a talk show type thing.

newsguy

If you have Direct Mode on, it won't show up in the Nvidia Control Panel, I believe. Generally Direct Mode is better than having an extended display -- what are you trying to do to where you need the device to show up?

How can I do direct mode? I feel like my audio is way too low

Starviper

Well this is a bummer.. Didn't notice at first but the top-right click on the motion wheel for one of the controllers doesn't work; It won't click down fully or properly. I basically can't select the 2-shot gun in Space Pirate Trainer. Sent them a support email but I wish there was something I could do to get it working.

Jordan117

Two recurring problems I've been having with the Vive, wondering if anybody has a fix:

- Floor calibration issues on startup -- like spawning a few inches too high, or even several feet, where the floor is above your head. I know you can just run the SteamVR room set-up again to recalibrate the floor, but this also makes you redraw the room boundaries, which is a pain in the ass to optimize. It'll work fine afterwards, but more often than not it will misalign somewhere between shutting things off and booting them back up again later.

- Chaperone camera crashing. During extended play (2+ hours?), the front camera will just stop working. The chaperone boundaries still come up, but the IRL fade in effect won't work, and double clicking the button to bring up the room view just makes the graphics slightly grainy and replaces your in-game graspers with the default Vive wands. Any way to reboot the camera without exiting out completely?

Guys, isn't the blu a 5 minute "experience"? It's $20.........

The five minute whale "experience" is in Wevr Transport. for free, so you can just grab that if you want to check out a piece of The Blu. Apparently there's a myriad of other content in the full package, but I'm not super interested ATM. I can pick it up for $5 during a sale in a year.

Guys, isn't the blu a 5 minute "experience"? It's $20.........

This is one of the few times I prefer something on Oculus I wish blu was more like Ocean Rift. It's now basically a set of three VR movies you can walk around in. They both serve kind of the same purpose but Ocean Rift has more interactivity and "meat" to it. Obviously Blu is the more visually appealing thing to demo to people.

Anyone looking to buy my Vive? It arrived today (Unopened) and I have decided to keep my Rift instead. I don't have the space to enjoy room-scale and convincing the wife to let me create the space is proving to be more of a challenge than I anticipated.

I prefer to avoid Ebay if I can and I would rather someone on GAF get it. PM me if interested, Thank you.

Which country/state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom