• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I installed my Vive, my computer has been randomly turning off. Hard freeze for 10 minutes, then just turns itself off. Even when I unplug the dang headset, the computer will still turn itself off overnight. So confusing. Not even while gaming, only when idle. Computers man...

uz9PyUj.png

Nothing. I am just trying to get the headset to turn on.

What's the problem, specifically? If there's no video, you can try and uninstall the Vive drivers (under Settings -> Developer, I think?) and then plug the Vive in again to reinstall the drivers.

How can I do direct mode? I feel like my audio is way too low

Direct Mode shouldn't affect your audio. Regardless, it's a setting in the SteamVR app.

For audio, you might want to check the volume slider on the Steam menu inside the headset. It's a slider in the lower-left of the Steam interface.

As someone who wears glasses, I'm completely accustomed to blurred vision and frames when I look up, down, left or right. I'm wearing contacts for VR and having clear vision no matter where I look is actually a strange feeling for me. I guess that's why the blurred edges isn't something that bothers me at all. I'm used to moving my head to look more than my eyes due to wearing glasses.

Kusagari

So I got my Vive today and have everything set up but I'm stuck in the tutorial because I need sound and nothing I put in the jack on the Vive is giving me any sound output.

Lost at what's going on.

So I got my Vive today and have everything set up but I'm stuck in the tutorial because I need sound and nothing I put in the jack on the Vive is giving me any sound output.

Lost at what's going on.

I know there is a better way, but I've been disabling my speakers in the Sound menu of my computer's Control Panel to get it to work. I haven't looked into it much really, but I think I saw someone here mention setting SteamVR to Mirror will also give you audio without having to disable anything.

Compsiox

Banned
Ever since I installed my Vive, my computer has been randomly turning off. Hard freeze for 10 minutes, then just turns itself off. Even when I unplug the dang headset, the computer will still turn itself off overnight. So confusing. Not even while gaming, only when idle. Computers man...

uz9PyUj.png

Do a windows defense virus scan. I had the exact same thing you described and it turned out to be a hardware virus injector.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Quick question, drilling the wall mounts in now, but realized the base stations won't have line of site with each other because of the ceiling fan. Do they need to see EACH OTHER direct line of sight? Or just be able to see everything in the play space? Which they can.

How do I check it at the top of the headset?

Follow the wires into the top of the headset, make sure they aren't loose?

I had the same issue you had just 2 hours ago and nearly lost my shit because everything else was fine. Turns out it was just a loose DP cable.

Edit:

FYI there was just a firmware update released for the headset and the light houses. Log into SteamVR now!

Compsiox

Banned
Quick question, drilling the wall mounts in now, but realized the base stations won't have line of site with each other because of the ceiling fan. Do they need to see EACH OTHER direct line of sight? Or just be able to see everything in the play space? Which they can.

See each other. They need to sync. Just use the sync cable.

Anyone else just update the headset and lighthouse firmware? I didn't see any news or release notes so not sure what was fixed or updated.

TheRed

Tried my Vive for an hour in the Lab and wow I was not ready for how cool VR is, loved my Rift yesterday for the first day with it, and now the Vive motion controllers are mindblowing. I only have room for like 2 steps in any direction so chaperone shows up fast, but it's still really damn immersive. I'm loving VR.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I forgot how awesome Elite Dangerous is. I know it has the display issue currently but it honestly doesn't even matter.

With a HOTAS and VoiceAttack, you feel absolutely awesome screaming out commands and blasting people. A lot of people have said it is worse than the DK2 but I completely disagree with that assessment. I had been putting off playing it because of the display bug... that was a mistake!

Exuro

Are your guys screens grainy when it's dark? Looks fine when it's bright but when a scene is black it's pretty grainy. How do space games look in it?

Hari Seldon

First time ever using VR tonight. Holy fucking shit. I want to blow my money on a 980TI but I must stay strong lol. Just the damn balloon popping intro thing was amazing haha.

Haint

Are your guys screens grainy when it's dark? Looks fine when it's bright but when a scene is black it's pretty grainy. How do space games look in it?

Normal, think that's Valve's solution to minimize smearing and increase pixel response time, they never let the pixels shut off to pure black. Why it's looks like a dithering artifact you used to see on Plasma's, I have no idea.

Got my vive today. First experience with VR.

Easy set up. Did the tutorial, kinda cool. Did Blu. Meh. Then tried The Lab (or whatever it's called) and holy shit. I mean tons of fun. I liked exploring the mountain and tried the arrow thing. Bad ass.

Jams775

Does it prompt you to update the firmware to the lighthouses or do you have to connect it via USB and hope there is an update?

There's an option in SteamVR that checks the HMD, controllers and lighthouses at the same time.

You'll have to have steamVR running and all of the devices connected and ready to go for it to work.

Starviper

Guys, isn't the blu a 5 minute "experience"? It's $20.........

20$? It's only 10 on the steam store.

Also noticed the issue with my controller - the top right works fine if I just move my thumb in a bit so maybe not a big deal, but it doesn't have the same click to it that it does in other spots / on the other controller. Hoping the replacement process isn't too crazy, I paid a lot for this setup so I don't want to be stuck with a faulty wand.

Ok GAF, anyone have games suggestions for me? I'm starting to get pretty thirsty for content, and I feel like there isn't much left for me to buy. So far I've 100%'d (excluding the leaderboard style stuff) the following titles:

• AudioShield
  • Job Simulator
  • The Blu
  • The Lab
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Space Pirate Trainer
  • Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games

I've also played Tilt Brush and like five hours of Fantastic Contraption, and I've kind of had my fill of both. I find myself going back to The Lab just because of how absolutely polished the entire experience was, but I'm increasingly desperate for new content. I really want to play ADR1FT despite the reviews, but it won't have Vive support for a while. Hover Junkers looks serviceable, but I can't see myself playing it for more than a few hours and it's insanely expensive for what content it has. The only game I'm super hyped about but haven't played yet is Vanishing Realms, and I'll probably let myself dive into that tonight.

taoofjord

I love horror games and while they unnerve me and I love the tension and "oh shit!" moments when you're running away from something, I handle them quite well. I've been excited to try some horror stuff in VR but have been avoiding it because I didn't think I was ready to handle it yet. Well, tonight I picked up A Chair in a Room (which seems pretty decent so far) and found out I was right... the first few (minor) jump scares got me so bad I had to stop playing immediately. This doesn't so much speak to the quality of the game but as to how much scarier things are in VR. It really is on a whole different level.

I think I'm going to email Frictional and beg them to port SOMA and Amnesia to the Vive. It's got to happen!

I love horror games and while they unnerve me and I love the tension and "oh shit!" moments when you're running away from something, I handle them quite well. I've been excited to try some horror stuff in VR but have been avoiding it because I didn't think I was ready to handle it yet. Well, tonight I picked up A Chair in a Room (which seems pretty decent so far) and found out I was right.... the first few (minor) jump scares got me so bad I had to stop playing immediately. This doesn't so much speak to the quality of the game but as to the far more immersive nature of VR. It really is on a whole different level.

I think I'm going to email Frictional and beg them to port SOMA and Amnesia to the Vive. It's got to happen!

The lack of horror games at launch has been the only disappointing part of this experience for me. I'm a huge horror fan, and VR horror games are the only thing that has legitimately scared me since I was a kid. It's a hard feeling to capture because of how inevitably desensitized one becomes if a fan of the genre, and some of my favorite DK1 memories are from horror experiences (Slender, Among the Sleep, Dreadhalls, etc). So far, it seems like a lot of the games I played on dev kit hardware have had VR support pulled, and outside of the few jumpscare "horror" games like A Chair in a Room, there doesn't really seem to be anything legit spooky.

Also, on the subject of passionate letters someone needs to get Campo Santo to throw a few weeks at giving Firewatch VR support. That game feels like it was made for VR, and it would work perfectly with teleporting + roomscale.

Ok GAF, anyone have games suggestions for me? I'm starting to get pretty thirsty for content, and I feel like there isn't much left for me to buy. So far I've 100%'d (excluding the leaderboard style stuff) the following titles:

• AudioShield
  • Job Simulator
  • The Blu
  • The Lab
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Space Pirate Trainer

I've also played Tilt Brush and like five hours of Fantastic Contraption, and I've kind of had my fill of both. I find myself going back to The Lab just because of how absolutely polished the entire experience was, but I'm increasingly desperate for new content. I really want to play ADR1FT despite the reviews, but it won't have Vive support for a while. Hover Junkers looks serviceable, but I can't see myself playing it for more than a few hours and it's insanely expensive for what content it has. The only game I'm super hyped about but haven't played yet is Vanishing Realms, and I'll probably let myself dive into that tonight.

I don't know how many times I can say Minecraft... Minecraft.

And If you want a workout then you should definitely play Holopoint. If your not a scrub that is. But seriously take breaks if you aren't used to a more full range of motion.

Exuro

Normal, think that's Valve's solution to minimize smearing and increase pixel response time, they never let the pixels shut off to pure black. Why it's looks like a dithering artifact you used to see on Plasma's, I have no idea.
It's not quite dithering as it's consistent when I move, so I think your assumption is correct because of that. Doesn't matter all that much as I can only really see it if I focus my eyes closer vs looking out at whatever.

Got my game codes in. All three of the titles have been absolute blasts. I really like in fantastic contraptions that the floor is your room space so you know where you can walk to. Also putting the helmet on and off to go to the menu room is awesome. I think the reprojection was running most of the time which is why my controllers looking very low fps-y when messing around, but surprisingly i wasn't too bothered by it.

Also, for some negatives, the big picture mode screen likes to not show up half the time which is really annoying. Is there a way to reset Steam VR from the headset/controllers? It's extremely annoying having to take it off and reset due to bugs.

Hari Seldon

There's an option in SteamVR that checks the HMD, controllers and lighthouses at the same time.

You'll have to have steamVR running and all of the devices connected and ready to go for it to work.

Oh so you have to connect both lighthouses to the PC via USB to update the firmware?

Trojan

• AudioShield
  • Job Simulator
  • The Blu
  • The Lab
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Space Pirate Trainer

And If you want a workout then you should definitely play Holopoint. If your not a scrub that is. But seriously take breaks if you aren't used to a more full range of motion.

^ like he said, you gotta get the Vive Minecraft mod. If you have even a hint of nostalgia with Minecraft, it will blow your mind when you're digging life size caves and fighting Creepers.

Also, The Gallery: Call of Starseed is a great single player experience if you're looking for something atmospheric.

Jams775

Oh so you have to connect both lighthouses to the PC via USB to update the firmware?

Oh no, I think there was a way to set them up via the bluetooth on the breakout box. It was like two button presses if I recall (I should clarify a bit. They are options in the settings menu). Like one to install the bluetooth drivers and the other to get the lighthouses to pair with the pc. I don't remember if I had to connect the lighthouses first via usb, but I don't think I did.

Then they just showed up in the firmware check section and I could update them where they were.

I have no idea how I spaced this, but I've also played like 5 hours of Minecraft in the past few days. It's definitely an incredible experience.

Holopoint looks neat, I'll definitely check it out.

Does anyone know if some of the old DK1 experiences have been updated for either the new Oculus SDK or Vive? I'd kind of like to check out TF2 or Half Life 2 just to see how the experience compares now.

cakefoo

• AudioShield
  • Job Simulator
  • The Blu
  • The Lab
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Space Pirate Trainer

Out of Ammo - an RTS, tower defense and FPS all in one.
HordeZ - a zombie shooter with an interesting locomotion technique (a very slow, automated moving platform)
Blarp! - guide floating eyeballs to their goal. Sound effects give off a Pixeljunk Eden vibe.

I have no idea how I spaced this, but I've also played like 5 hours of Minecraft in the past few days. It's definitely an incredible experience.

Holopoint looks neat, I'll definitely check it out.

Does anyone know if some of the old DK1 experiences have been updated for either the new Oculus SDK or Vive? I'd kind of like to check out TF2 or Half Life 2 just to see how the experience compares now.

Installing vorpx now... should have some information in the next day or so.

Dude. Vanishing Realms is awesome. Everything in it is just so satisfying.

Still don't have my free game codes though lol. Come the hell on HTC.

^ like he said, you gotta get the Vive Minecraft mod. If you have even a hint of nostalgia with Minecraft, it will blow your mind when you're digging life size caves and fighting Creepers.

Also, The Gallery: Call of Starseed is a great single player experience if you're looking for something atmospheric.

Anyone know if Vivecraft would work with the windows 10 store version of Minecraft? That one is $10 vs the $30 version on minecraft.net. I don't really want to pay that much for it considering I wasn't really into minecraft before.

eroots

uz9PyUj.png

Maybe not enough power? What kinda power supply do u have?

On another note, I still can't get headphones to work with the Vive. There's some crazy issue where it is stuck at 0% volume. Regardless if I try to raise the volume within steamVR or volume mixer, the bar jumps down to 0% immediately. I'm at a loss here and it's really ruining the immersion for some games.

You have the correct audio device selected in the SteamVR settings? (SteamVR > Settings > Audio). For me, the first few times it would reset back to its default (which disabled the audio from the HMD).

I didn't get the firmware update prompt for my controllers until I connected them to the computer via USB. Is that how it's supposed to be done? The steam controller can update its firmware via wireless, so send odd if that's the case. Also, do I need to do the same for my light houses?

You have the correct audio device selected in the SteamVR settings? (SteamVR > Settings > Audio). For me, the first few times it would reset back to its default (which disabled the audio from the HMD).

Yeah, I did. I reinstalled windows because of some other issues and it has been working okay since then.

On another note, as great as a few of the experiences have been, after owning it a day, I'm already starting to get bored with the content.

Can't get Revive working with anything for the life of me. Everything keeps telling me I need to connect an Oculus Rift.

I have:
  • Unknown sources allowed in Home
  • SteamVR is running
  • I extracted the Revive folder and injector next to each game exe
  • Both the injector and game exe are set to run as administrator

Anyone else have this problem?

Maz

My only VR experience before the vive was the gear vr and I thought it was pretty good but you can clearly see the pixels. I usually dont really notice technical problems with games. Thought bloodborne was flawless, and didnt notice any framerate issues in the last of us ps3 (I know Im blessed with ignorance).

So the installation went perfectly, and the text during the startup guide was extremely easy to read. I am literally floored by how amazing this thing is, and my god roomscale is revolutionary. This is probably one of the best ways to spend $900.

Yeah, I did. I reinstalled windows because of some other issues and it has been working okay since then.

On another note, as great as a few of the experiences have been, after owning it a day, I'm already starting to get bored with the content.

I know your pain. The stuff that exists is often legitimately amazing (I loved every second I had with The Lab), but honestly this is entirely because of the hardware. I can't imagine how amazing VR is going to be when it can be applied to proper games. Something like Fallout with the teleportation mechanic used by Budget Cuts/The Lab, etc, would be totally serviceable. I'm sure it's not the best implementation of player movement possible, but it would be totally functional.

Maybe not enough power? What kinda power supply do u have?
HX750W. It was fine when I ran 770 SLI (peak 402W), so my single 980Ti (peak 302W) should be dandy. Plus it freezes/shuts down when idle. I'm going to mess with some of the C states on the processor since that's the only idle specific functions I can think of, but the Vive coincidence doesn't make sense...

It has to be driver related, and since USB/Bluetooth/Nvidia drivers all show up in the log when I installed the Vive, it's not an easy treasure hunt

If I didn't have an SSD it would be driving me up the wall

How does BigScreen actually work? There are no guides anywhere. When I'm in the BigScreen environment and try to launch a game via Steam, it just quits out of BigScreen and launches the game.

I didn't play with Vive for a few weeks, and since the latest updates I keep getting error -202.
Compositor is not fullscreen
'You'll need this to be fullscreen for SteamVR to work correctly.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom