• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I send sound to both my speakers and the headphones connected to the Vive?

In Steam VR settings...audio options.
It asks for an audio output on start up, and an option for a secondary sound source. I have both running. It was awkward when demoing the Vive for people not to hear what you could hear.

Trojan

Do any of you guys use additional Minecraft mods with Minecrift Vive? Do you have compatability issues? I want to mod up my Vive version with Optifine and a few other shader mods but wasn't sure if this was going to break the Vive version.

derFeef

I just tried Minecraft on the GearVR with a S7 and it's pretty cool. But I was disappointed by the headset and lenses - hopefully the Vive is better, far better.

Scapegoat

I just tried Minecraft on the GearVR with a S7 and it's pretty cool. But I was disappointed by the headset and lenses - hopefully the Vive is better, far better.
They're not... The Gear VR lenses are actually quite nice as they don't have god ray artifacts. Don't worry though, hand controllers + standing is the real game changer. The experiences available on the Gear VR pale in comparison to those on the Vive! You will be disappointed initially but it will soon all melt away as you become lost in the experience. Sitting down and positional tracking are still great too.

derFeef

I can see that, yeah. Also it was a quick try without any adjustment of the headset and getting the most out of the fov.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So, got the Vive, not really gonna review it since its awesome and most people have done it better than I.

I do have a couple questions though.

1) I initially found it really hard to get into the "sweet spot", that was until i pushed in on the headset and found my sweet spot is closer to the lens than the current Vive padding allows (I shit you not, everything went blindingly clear like a film had been lifted). What is my best option for getting a thinner face padding?

On Reddit people claim padded sleep masks work great and I ordered a cheap one to try but I am wondering if there is another option. Valve should have really included a thinner option for their removable padding.

2) I want my mom to be able to try this on Mother's Day but she wears glasses. What is the optimal notch on the Vive to fit glasses without hitting the screen?

1) I initially found it really hard to get into the "sweet spot", that was until i pushed in on the headset and found my sweet spot is closer to the lens than the current Vive padding allows (I shit you not, everything went blindingly clear like a film had been lifted). What is my best option for getting a thinner face padding?

On Reddit people claim padded sleep masks work great and I ordered a cheap one to try but I am wondering if there is another option. Valve should have really included a thinner option for their removable padding.

I really agree with this. It was not until yesterday (after having it since Friday) that I really pushed it into my face so it was almost touching my eyeballs, and almost every fresnel artifact disappeared. I'm looking into making some alternative face padding as well.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I really agree with this. It was not until yesterday (after having it since Friday) that I really pushed it into my face so it was almost touching my eyeballs, and almost every fresnel artifact disappeared. I'm looking into making some alternative face padding as well.

I'm thinking about cutting the padding down on the "Narrow face" insert since neither I, nor my wife, uses it.

I should be getting the sleep mask on Friday so I will let yall know how it goes. Peeps on Reddit swear by it.

I really hope some company offers millimeter increment face padding soon :p.

Onemic

I forgot how awesome Elite Dangerous is. I know it has the display issue currently but it honestly doesn't even matter.

With a HOTAS and VoiceAttack, you feel absolutely awesome screaming out commands and blasting people. A lot of people have said it is worse than the DK2 but I completely disagree with that assessment. I had been putting off playing it because of the display bug... that was a mistake!

How does it look like when you peer out into space?

So, got the Vive, not really gonna review it since its awesome and most people have done it better than I.

2) I want my mom to be able to try this on Mother's Day but she wears glasses. What is the optimal notch on the Vive to fit glasses without hitting the screen?

The Gear VR padding is much thinner. I'm going to try using it tonight because people claim the FOV and clarity improve greatly.

asker

Do any of you guys use additional Minecraft mods with Minecrift Vive? Do you have compatability issues? I want to mod up my Vive version with Optifine and a few other shader mods but wasn't sure if this was going to break the Vive version.
Optifine is included in the Vive version but it's of course an old version for 1.7.10 so ShadersModCore is not integrated. In order to get this going you need to get Forge (download here). Then make sure you install the Vive-mod with Forge support checked. Then download the ShadersModCore and whatever shader you want as usual.

If you get the "Stitching texture atlas" error, add -Dfml.skipFirstTextureLoad=false to your JVM arguments in your Minecraft Vive profile. Have fun!

Are you dragging the proper game exe into the injector exe?

Yeah I believe. Lucky's Tale for example, I'm dragging LT.exe in to the injector. For all the Unreal games, I know to look for the exe that ends with "shipping". I should clarify that some things actually do run like Unreal's Showdown and the Collosse short but they don't run as a VR game. Just as a windowed game.

jotun?

The Gear VR padding is much thinner. I'm going to try using it tonight because people claim the FOV and clarity improve greatly.
I don't remember exactly where it was, but in one reddit conversation about changing/removing padding, a Valve employee chimed in and recommended against it

I think the issue is that even though it feels like you're increasing your FOV by getting the screen to fill more of your vision, you're actually creating an FOV mismatch. Same idea as how console FOV settings that are designed for a TV across the room don't work well on a close-up PC monitor that takes up more of your vision. He said it would cause some subtle visual problems when looking around, like objects appearing to move slightly when they shouldn't, and could increase chances of nausea

Blarp received a lot of good reviews from GAF and for 2.99 its not a bad title. I just think you all over hyped the game, its not that cool.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I don't remember exactly where it was, but in one reddit conversation about changing/removing padding, a Valve employee chimed in and recommended against it

I think the issue is that even though it feels like you're increasing your FOV by getting the screen to fill more of your vision, you're actually creating an FOV mismatch. Same idea as how console FOV settings that are designed for a TV across the room don't work well on a close-up PC monitor that takes up more of your vision. He said it would cause some subtle visual problems when looking around, like objects appearing to move slightly when they shouldn't, and could increase chances of nausea

I need thinner padding to not have a blurry image...

deadfolk

Anyone know if Vivecraft would work with the windows 10 store version of Minecraft? That one is $10 vs the $30 version on minecraft.net. I don't really want to pay that much for it considering I wasn't really into minecraft before.

Optifine is included in the Vive version but it's of course an old version for 1.7.10 so ShadersModCore is not integrated. In order to get this going you need to get Forge (download here). Then make sure you install the Vive-mod with Forge support checked. Then download the ShadersModCore and whatever shader you want as usual.

If you get the "Stitching texture atlas" error, add -Dfml.skipFirstTextureLoad=false to your JVM arguments in your Minecraft Vive profile. Have fun!

Did you manage to get it to work with forge? I installed the exact version of forge that the Minecrift installer specifies, but when I run the Minecrift installer, the option to install with Forge is greyed out.

So you're upset that you wasted $2.99 and didn't like it ?

Nowhere did I say I was upset nor did I say I didn't like it.; I said VIVE GAF over hyped it. And keep in mind I spent nearly 1,000 USD on a headset, so 2.99 USD isn't really something to be upset about.

Hari Seldon

I wear glasses, I just cranked the the all the way to max and it was fine.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
You should adjust the IPD settings. There is a web app that measures IPD (or go to your eye doctor for a better measurement.

Doesn't help, my father in law is an eye doctor and he gave me the right IPD measurement. If I push in on the headset (compacting the padding a bit to get the lenses closer) everything gets better.

For my eyes (more sunken, or maybe my forhead sticks out more ) I need the lenses closer. Thus I need less padding.

Everyone's head, eyes, and vision is different. Valve only half way took this into account. If I could shave a few millimeters off of the padding it would be perfect.

asker

Did you manage to get it to work with forge? I installed the exact version of forge that the Minecrift installer specifies, but when I run the Minecrift installer, the option to install with Forge is greyed out.
Yes I had the same error as well. I had downloaded the precompiled .exe from Brad Lynch's install guide but the box was grayed out. So I downloaded another precompiled installer from somewhere else and in that version it worked fine (I first installed Forge normally).

I don't remember where I got the file but I uploaded it here. I don't recommend downloading executables linked by random people on internet forums so run it through VirusTotal (I did already and it looks clean) or similar to assure yourself it's free of malicious code before running.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Blurry image?

Not an issue really, its a fit problem for me, but most people (Like my wife) are good with the default set up. I just need a tad thinner padding to get in my "Sweet Spot". The sweet spot is the perfect position for your eyes where everything becomes clear.

The resolution isn't perfect though, but that is a limitation of all current optics.

Hari Seldon

How do you play 3D videos without Virtual Desktop? Is there another 3d video player? I don't want to upgrade to Win 10 just yet haha.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
How do you play 3D videos without Virtual Desktop? Is there another 3d video player? I don't want to upgrade to Win 10 just yet haha.

My question is, How do you use Virtual Desktop with the vive. Steam complains at me that it doesn't support vive controllers :(.

Jams775

Doesn't help, my father in law is an eye doctor and he gave me the right IPD measurement. If I push in on the headset (compacting the padding a bit to get the lenses closer) everything gets better.

For my eyes (more sunken, or maybe my forhead sticks out more ) I need the lenses closer. Thus I need less padding.

Everyone's head, eyes, and vision is different. Valve only half way took this into account. If I could shave a few millimeters off of the padding it would be perfect.

Have you tried using the other pad that comes in the box? It's more for "narrow" faces (though not sure what that means exactly, smaller head? features closer together?).

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Have you tried using the other pad that comes in the box? It's more for "narrow" faces (though not sure what that means exactly, smaller head? features closer together?).

I have a wide head lol. Using the narrow one (for skinny headed peeps) wont work. :p

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I thought the narrow foam was literally just less padding. I don't think it's a different shape beyond that. I haven't really examined mine though so maybe I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure it is actually more padding and intended to be used by people with narrow faces so that light doesn't come through gaps.

Just use M+KB

Uhh, I can't see my keyboard and mouse :p. Nor will it be comfortable using them while standing or sitting on the couch.

deadfolk

I thought the narrow foam was literally just less padding. I don't think it's a different shape beyond that. I haven't really examined mine though so maybe I'm wrong.

I think the narrow one is actually more foam - i.e. to fill out the space if you have a small head.

Yes I had the same error as well. I had downloaded the precompiled .exe from Brad Lynch's install guide but the box was grayed out. So I downloaded another precompiled installer from somewhere else and in that version it worked fine (I first installed Forge normally).

I don't remember where I got the file but I uploaded it here. I don't recommend downloading executables linked by random people on internet forums so run it through VirusTotal (I did already and it looks clean) or similar to assure yourself it's free of malicious code before running.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure it is actually more padding and intended to be used by people with narrow faces so that light doesn't come through gaps.

Uhh, I can't see my keyboard and mouse :p. Nor will it be comfortable using them while standing or sitting on the couch.

Well in VR desktop mode I sat down with a mouse + kb on a lapboard since the movement in vr space no longer applied.

Blarp received a lot of good reviews from GAF and for 2.99 its not a bad title. I just think you all over hyped the game, its not that cool.

So you're upset that you wasted $2.99 and didn't like it ?

Nowhere did I say I was upset nor did I say I didn't like it.; I said VIVE GAF over hyped it. And keep in mind I spent nearly 1,000 USD on a headset, so 2.99 USD isn't really something to be upset about.

Neohype strikes again. Cant expect everyone to like the same stuff.

I really like Blarp. It's really simple, unique, surprisingly relaxing, and also perfectly priced. BUT, it's probably not the game you'll be spending hours in at a time. It's just not that type of game. It's the palette cleanser kind you play to wind down after intense sessions of Holopoint or SPT, or just from a stressful day at work.

Replacement headset arrived today, for dodgy pixel, all new with the protective film etc, took 9 days in total, so worth doing for anyone on the fence.

TheRed

Audioshield blew my mind last night, it really did. I saw I haven't stored any music locally in forever so the only thing of mine I could find at the moment was The Witcher3 soundtrack. It was so epic, it felt like I was reliving in my favorite game. Might be kinda weird but after spending hundreds of hours in that game with that soundtrack. The music hit me hard and I was grinning so wide, I also almost teared up in the middle of it.

Played through 2 hours straight and got a good workout in the middle of the night. Love dat Audioshield. I hope there's many more impactful experiences in VRs future. I can't wait.

A quick note for any gym-rats here. Do not introduce VR into your life the same week you're trying to kick your body into ketosis.

The brain can only handle so much....

kaskade

My vive is at home waiting and I won't be able to play much tonight. On the plus side I had to pick up my contacts so I know my real IPD.

Korezo

What are good pods to mount the sensors on? I don't want to drill any holes on the walls of have stuff permenant. Looking for something I can mount the sensors that on and then easily put away when I done.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
What are good pods to mount the sensors on? I don't want to drill any holes on the walls of have stuff permenant. Looking for something I can mount the sensors that on and then easily put away when I done.

With VR you are never done. Welcome to OASIS....

I want some VR game to have a black screen come up when the game starts that says "Ready Player One" so bad :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom