• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't too sure about dropping that kind of money on one game since I knew that I had a limited amount left to spend on games after buying the Vive, but I'm so glad that I did.

It's so much fun that I find myself loading it up at least once every time I use my Vive.

Have you tried Unseen Diplomacy?

Yep I have Unseen Diplomacy too. I pretty much make everyone that demo's the Vive play through it. The end is always just confusing bit of nonsense, but everything that leads up to it is a really awesome way to introduce people to VR. The way it uses Roomscale is just perfect.

Sky Chief

This thing is the single most impressive experience to come out of video games. Ever.

Yeah, it's pretty incredible. The only gaming related jump that is comparable in my opinion was the jump from 2D to Mario 64 but even then this is a way bigger and more impressive advancement.

I totally had the same thing happen to me. The more comfortable you are with VR, (from a mental standpoint, and physical space standpoint) the better that game is. Its the one game so far that I continue to play.

The sense of movement is SO crazy, really tricks your brain into thinking its real.

kinggroin

Banned
So if anyone can help.

I have The Lab installed, but when I click on "Play" a Ste dialog box says "checking configuration" then it vanishes and I'm taken to the store page to download The Lab...yet, it says on the page, "You already own this game". There is a click here to play, button. Clicking it just starts that process over.

The game never actually launches.

So if anyone can help.

I have The Lab installed, but when I click on "Play" a Ste dialog box says "checking configuration" then it vanishes and I'm taken to the store page to download The Lab...yet, it says on the page, "You already own this game". There is a click here to play, button. Clicking it just starts that process over.

The game never actually launches.

I would delete the game or local content and re-install... Unless you've done that already.

Justin

the feeling of your space being invaded when the Brookhaven zombies or those Holopoint samurais get up in your face is amazing. Very unsettling especially the first time.

the feeling of your space being invaded when the Brookhaven zombies or those Holopoint samurais get up in your face is amazing. Very unsettling especially the first time.
Yep. It's unsettling in most VR experiences. Go into altapace VR and have someone blink in your personal space. Such an odd sensation.

kaskade

I can't wait to try this out for myself. It's so weird, you see the videos and stuff but I imagine with the experience, it's almost impossible to judge how it really feels. Viewing it 2d just doesn't seem to do it justice.

kinggroin

Banned
I can't wait to try this out for myself. It's so weird, you see the videos and stuff but I imagine with the experience, it's almost impossible to judge how it really feels. Viewing it 2d just doesn't seem to do it justice.

You're correct, but actually, you're understating it as well.

The gulf in immersiveness between what you see on a 2D screen vs when you're in the game is large enough to fit all the hyperbole I'd normally use to describe that difference .

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

It doesn't. It's breathtaking how crazy it is to be there, walking around in a virtual world, walking up and touching something, hearing something behind you and turning around to greet it.

It's like nothing I've ever experienced.

artsi

Hmm I haven't touched my Vive in a couple of days, maybe I should try get DolphinVR working again. For some reason every game has a black box floating in front of me, some kind of HUD overlay layer that's solid instead of transparent.

Tain

It doesn't. It's breathtaking how crazy it is to be there, walking around in a virtual world, walking up and touching something, hearing something behind you and turning around to greet it.

It's like nothing I've ever experienced.

wait until you're playing Space Pirate Trainer and you block lasers to your side without even looking

It's really weird. Like I watched a bunch of videos of Vanishing Realms before playing it and that still didn't prepare me for when the first enemy shows up and he's taller than me and 3D and right in front of me and swinging his sword down and without any prompting my first instinct was to block it with my sword and it actually worked. It's so crazy.

jaypah

Yeah, really. I'm not new to VR but I am new to the Vive (as of last night). Watching lots of video of Job Simulator was fun and I knew it would feel cool but I didn't know how cool. Man, after about 10 seconds I was RUNNING that cashier job. It was all just so insanely intuitive, my God. We only got to do Job Simulator and Realities (which was also really dope) because it was 1 in the morning and we both had to get up for work early. Tonight we're going to dive into more stuff since we have some hours to devote to it. This thing is fucking amazing and has surpassed my expectations easily.

Yup I played it through twice yesterday cuz it's so damn cool. It and xortex need to be full fledged games.

Xortex was brilliant, had a quick play of that earlier. I've spent more time showing other people the Vive than playing it myself so far.

My 6 year old loves job simulator but she's too short to grab the food orders or open the meat section the fridge so she needs a lift.

That little creature that stares at you in the Secret Shop creeped me the fuck out. I wasn't expecting that. Robot Repair startle me as well when the damage robot came in the room and Glados showed up at the end. No matter how much I realized none of it was actually there my lizard brain was still fooled. I also almost fell over reaching for the skull in the Lab because I expected to press up against the counter. So crazy.

I almost leaned in to the wall while crouched behind it during Budget Cuts. I get it now. Especially in the heat of the moment, you forget the shit isn't real.

Also the Budget Cuts demo was amazing. Even after all the hype and after playing a bunch of stuff the day prior to blow through the initial VR wonderment phase, I wasn't prepared for how awesome it would be. Considering that was old and pre-alpha and they're basically getting direct Valve support now, I can't imagine how crazy the final game is going to be.

datamage

Got my shipping confirmation and should have this thing in by Friday, can't wait to get it all setup.

For mounting the base stations, they say above head height-- should they be placed above your arm reach, or just head height? Also, how long are the power cords for the base stations?

Thanks guys.

Beaner

Just received my Vive in Alberta, Canada (March 17 order). No email from FedEx or HTC, and findmyorder still shows pending fulfillment. Side effect of this seems to be that I haven't got the free games.

newsguy

The initial valve load screen that has you on a platform surrounded by red valves had me leaning over to look down. I almost fell over IRL

I played some seated experience last night (ran through the Adventure Time game again as well just b/c boredom). Honestly, I'd pay $100 for a Steam Controller that had Vive tracking integrated so you could see it in game like the wands.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I almost leaned in to the wall while crouched behind it during Budget Cuts. I get it now. Especially in the heat of the moment, you forget the shit isn't real.

Also the Budget Cuts demo was amazing. Even after all the hype and after playing a bunch of stuff the day prior to blow through the initial VR wonderment phase, I wasn't prepared for how awesome it would be. Considering that was old and pre-alpha and they're basically getting direct Valve support now, I can't imagine how crazy the final game is going to be.

I think that must be conscious vs subconscious. You brain knows things aren't real, but you aren't 'thinking' about leaning on a wall. Your subconscious just goes 'wall there, why not lean on it to help you get up' as part of that movement you're doing. I've done it a couple of times now but each time I've caught myself before stumbling, plus I'm usually crouching when it happens so less damage if I fall over

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My 6 year old loves job simulator but she's too short to grab the food orders or open the meat section the fridge so she needs a lift.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OwlchemyLabs/status/727572843148382208

RfvjwVk.jpg

Trojan

I've spent more time showing other people the Vive than playing it myself so far.

I've spent more time demoing than playing myself as well. It's just so fun seeing people's reactions. My sister just sat down on my living room floor while she was playing the Coral Reef section of TheBlu, just staring around with an open mouth. When she finished, she took off the headset and said "I had a really awful week at work, and this just took me to another world that was so relaxing. Amazing."

Qassim

The thing with Budget Cuts is that it isn't only a compelling premise for a game that plays really well, but they nail all the other fundamentals of VR (at least what we understand are fundamentals this early on).

They work well with the constraints and emphasise the strengths. It's a really fantastic piece of software, I'm really looking forward to full release.

Trojan

For mounting the base stations, they say above head height-- should they be placed above your arm reach, or just head height? Also, how long are the power cords for the base stations?

Mount the base stations above 6.5 feet high. I would have them at least 7 feet high to be safe and to follow Valve's recommended guidelines. The higher they are, the better your tracking will be (in theory).

The cords for the base stations are approximately 10-12 feet long, so make sure they're somewhat close to an outlet. You can use extension cords to make up the difference, but at least have an outlet close so you aren't running cord across your whole room.

I've spent more time demoing than playing myself as well. It's just so fun seeing people's reactions. My sister just sat down on my living room floor while she was playing the Coral Reef section of TheBlu, just staring around with an open mouth. When she finished, she took off the headset and said "I had a really awful week at work, and this just took me to another world that was so relaxing. Amazing."

I've got my business annual conference this Friday and I'm so tempted to take along the Vive setup as I know there will be huge interest. If I could only come up with a solution for the lighthouses then I'd take it. Mine are fixed to the wall and I don't plan on buying a couple of stands for a one off occasion.

datamage

Mount the base stations above 6.5 feet high. I would have them at least 7 feet high to be safe and to follow Valve's recommended guidelines. The higher they are, the better your tracking will be (in theory).

The cords for the base stations are approximately 10-12 feet long, so make sure they're somewhat close to an outlet. You can use extension cords to make up the difference, but at least have an outlet close so you aren't running cord across your whole room.

Perfect, thank you.

Okay. After all the issues I had with setup, I am a believer.

Tilt Brush is great. I am a TERRIBLE artist, but my body reacts when I move through the forms. Like, it expects to feel something, so it puts something in. I have never had this experience before.

Labs - All the games are fun. Korlax or whatever is awesome.

Job Simulator is a great demo. I am looking forward to my 6 year old playing it.

Budget Cuts - I get it. VR is the future of games. After playing this demo, I have no doubts. That was incredible. I dont want to spoil anything, but crawling around is great fun.

Trojan

I just recently got back into PC gaming after being away many years, and I'm remembering why I loved it so much. Steam is so great with their refund policy now. I bought Virtual Desktop sight unseen because I heard it was amazing, but then within a week BigScreen Beta comes out doing essentially the same thing for free with updated features. I have only spent 5 min with VD, so got a refund without issue.

Steam refund policy is such a great safety blanket for VR. There are some shaky VR experiences out there for high prices, and that refund policy keeps everyone in check.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
how solid is revive now? curious about trying Chronos, The Climb or Blaze Rush (just requested a refund from steam as the devs don't seem to intend ever adding official support for Oculus Rift or Vive in the steam version..)

Revive is pretty solid. The only problem I've had is with BlazeRush. For some reason the framerate seems to be locked quiite low and I get judder. It isn't exactly a graphically intense game or anything... but others have gotten it working so idk.

bj00rn_

Banned
The thing with Budget Cuts is that it isn't only a compelling premise for a game that plays really well, but they nail all the other fundamentals of VR (at least what we understand are fundamentals this early on).

They work well with the constraints and emphasise the strengths. It's a really fantastic piece of software, I'm really looking forward to full release.

Yep. Was already sick of hearing about it so it was one of the last things I tried. But it ended up being one of my top favorite experiences. It hits all current VR- and room scale notes.

Randdalf

Just had a first go on mine after a painful few hours setting it up. It really is amazing, although lower resolution than I expected going in. I only really played the tutorial for an extended period of time, making those balloons and confetti is so much fun. Then I tried out the Lab, which I think my computer might be struggling to run (I am below recommended specs) because I got a lot of black flickering at times and Robot Repair felt like it was rendering at a lower resolution? Either way, I had to take steps back when Atlas walked in the room, WAY bigger than I expected. GLaDOS was also very imposing as well. Can't wait to try some more.

Of course this is happening now.

Can anyone get anything from:

https://www.htcvive.com/us/setup/

It just goes to a white page for me.......so no setup software.

You don't need the HTC software, and I'd suggest not installing it (as it installs crap that you don't need, and is always running).

The Vive installs all of its drivers when you plug it in.

(No sense junking up your PC with crap you don't need -- I wish I knew that before I installed the HTC crap on my first machine!)

I still can't get Revive to work. Either the game or an error box tells me I need to connect a Rift headset, or it launches like a regular app and not in VR. Anyone know what's going on?

In Home there's no Rift under connected devices because I don't have one. Is that the problem?

charpunk

I've had my vive for two weeks now and have been having issues getting it to fit right. Finally decided to use the narrow padding and now it fits perfectly and being in the sweet spot is so much easier now.

Hopefully my vr covers come soon so I can start demoing both the rift and the vive to friends.

jotun?

I'm planning on getting a couple of these as extensions instead of AC extension cables

Be careful playing Holoball, I was smashing the lounge wall and ceiling with the controllers :)

Although I would probably like that game, I think I'm going to avoid it after seeing soooo many of these kinds of comments about it

So how long before someone makes some aftermarket straps for this thing? It's not bad as is, but it could be a lot more comfortable and secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom