• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have Quar impressions? I have $20 in my steam wallet and I desperately need more VR content. Right now, my library is:

• Audioshield
  • Adventure Time: Magic Man's Head Games
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Fantastic Contraption
  • The FOO Show
  • Job Simulator
  • The Lab
  • Surgeon Simulator
  • Vanishing Realms
  • Vertigo Demo
  • Minecraft VR mod

I really, really wanted to play ADR1FT but no one seems to know if the dev is quickly supplying Oculus home codes for Steam purchases like they said they would, and if this is the case if ReVive also works for ADR1FT. I would totally buy it now, install through Oculus Home, and use ReVive to play it until Vive support is official, but I have no idea if this is possible.

They're different enough IMO. VorpX is an injector that lets you play non-VR games in 3D with headtracking. It doesn't always support positional tracking, and it definitely doesn't support roomscale. Inversely, Virtual Desktop just projects your desktop on a polygonal surface, similar to what the menu in Steam VR does.

Vorpx has virtual desktop/ theater mode. Anyhow just came back from using it for darksiders 2 as I wanted to try a third person view. So first you cant as far as im aware get a total immersed version like luckys tale as the borders get all weird. But in virtual desktop mode you can get pretty close.you still have the borders but it is an open window to the world seems that 5:4 ratio works best to get the clearest settings at 1280* 1080 so far. I am still tinkering with it so. I am no expert.

Anyone have Quar impressions? I have $20 in my steam wallet and I desperately need more VR content. Right now, my library is:

• Audioshield
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Fantastic Contraption
  • The FOO Show
  • Job Simulator
  • The Lab
  • Surgeon Simulator
  • Vanishing Realms
  • Vertigo Demo
  • Minecraft VR mod

I really, really wanted to play ADR1FT but no one seems to know if the dev is quickly supplying Oculus home codes for Steam purchases like they said they would, and if this is the case if ReVive also works for ADR1FT. I would totally buy it now, install through Oculus Home, and use ReVive to play it until Vive support is official, but I have no idea if this is possible.

Haloball
Halopoint
SPT
blarp

• Audioshield
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Fantastic Contraption
  • The FOO Show
  • Job Simulator
  • The Lab
  • Surgeon Simulator
  • Vanishing Realms
  • Vertigo Demo
  • Minecraft VR mod

Afaik, Adr1ft is not working on the Vie :'(

Salamande

Kismet is a small, yet very well crafted fortune teller thing. I think it's worth five bucks.

Speaking of problems, my front camera has still never, ever worked in VR. It works in Google Hangouts, but I've never gotten it going in Steam, no matter which USB port I use and no matter which frequency. Pretty frustrating.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

• Audioshield
  • Brookhaven
  • Budget Cuts
  • Fantastic Contraption
  • The FOO Show
  • Job Simulator
  • The Lab
  • Surgeon Simulator
  • Vanishing Realms
  • Vertigo Demo
  • Minecraft VR mod

I like Quar. In my opinion the trailer didn't really manage to capture the game well. It's a nice little turn based strategy tabletop. You get new unit types as you progress, you can upgrade things. The art is nice and immersive and you can zoom in at the level of the battle. There is also a small bit of a story (you can see a kid writing letters to his dad or uncle who's in the battlefield, I'm not sure) but I didn't focus on that. If you like turn based battles I recommend it.

Zalusithix

Got the Vive setup. Everything for the most part went as planned. The magnetic mounts have a little less stability along the thin edge than I'd like, but nothing that impacts actual use. (Measures out to .59/.15/.11 max/std/rotation deviation for tracking jitter which is on par for those reporting direct wall mounts.)
6x9lyrS.jpg
4McKcex.jpg
rfwy95U.jpg
A few thoughts after a couple hours of use, mostly focused on the hardware side as I'm still formulating opinions on the various game/software options.
  • The weight of the headset isn't anything to me, and the straps/foam don't create any harsh pressure points for me, but the headset's inertia causing subtle movements/pressure changes makes it impossible to forget you're wearing it while moving.
  • The headset's sweet spot isn't hard for me to obtain, and I don't need to push it against my face to gain clarity.
  • SDE didn't really bother me, but the low resolution was obvious - especially on text.
  • Off center focus is definitely soft. It can be particularly annoying when playing games like Audioshield where you're trying to figure out where everything is coming from and blurred peripheral vision makes that all the more difficult. Likewise reading text off center is... less than fun.
  • Due to the soft peripheral vision, any larger of a FoV would be rather pointless IMO. Definitely going to need an optics change for a headset with a large FoV.
  • The fresnel lens artifacts, while suboptimal, are easy enough to tune out once you're in game.
  • The cable is most certainly noticeable and rather annoying when an the far end of the chaperone bounds. I'll have to mess around with cable handling over the weekend.
  • Bluetooth lighthouse on/off seems to be working fine.
  • The tracked controllers feel quite natural and certainly become an extension of your body. The haptics are nice, but nothing mind blowing after using the Steam Controller.
All in all, it was pretty much what I was expecting. SDE was better than what I was preparing myself for, but the rest falls in line. It's impressive, but certainly has the feel of early hardware. That said, the VR experience isn't the sum of its parts. While nothing is outright mindblowing it its own right, when everything is working in tandem it can provide experiences that simply can't be had elsewhere. That's a topic for another post though - one that wont be made until I've had sufficient time with a variety of titles.

viveks86

Seems like the bluetooth related issues have all been ironed out. Been working flawlessly all week, including sleep and wake up

FYI for those who are still tinkering with their new Vive... don't forget to try out new environments from the steam Workshop. There are also controller and base station reskins, which you can enable if you choose the beta version of SteamVR. Right click on SteamVR under the tools section in your library, go to properties, and then click option in the Beta tab to enable it.

I had a lot of fun toying around with that tonight.

Sky Chief

I feel bad for people who can't get the headset adjusted properly for their eyes. I have perfect clarity and no blurriness for at least 80% of the FOV even to the bottom. I do see blurriness occasionally but only when my head is angled forward enough that the Vive pulls away from my face. In high contrast scenes halos from the fresnel lenses are distracting but otherwise it is crystal clear, maybe too clear because of SDE but that is easy to ignore when you really get into it.

Exuro

Anyone else get woozy for a while after a play session?

I was having some issues today. Not sure if they were tracking or frame rate related but it didn't feel good. Also got that weird stuck in floor bug to happen while in the overlay room which was pretty weird. Another also, had the bug where bib picture mode wouldn't appear. I had to jump into desktop view to launch a game.

I feel bad for people who can't get the headset adjusted properly for their eyes. I have perfect clarity and no blurriness for at least 80% of the FOV even to the bottom. I do see blurriness occasionally but only when my head is angled forward enough that the Vive pulls away from my face. In high contrast scenes halos from the fresnel lenses are distracting but otherwise it is crystal clear, maybe too clear because of SDE but that is easy to ignore when you really get into it.
I'm still unsure of what IPD to use and I'm afraid I'm getting eye strain from going crosseyed or walleyed from my incorrect settings (my eyes can hurt a lot after use)

I'm still unsure of what IPD to use and I'm afraid I'm getting eye strain from going crosseyed or walleyed from my incorrect settings (my eyes can hurt a lot after use)

If your eyes hurt then you definitely aren't using the correct IPD. This is a good read for anyone having problems with IPD or vision problems in general.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gls52/im_an_optometrist_getting_a_vive_you_guys_have/?

I personally measured mine with a ruler quite a few times and then used the average. I have no eye strain after sessions of any length.

I like Quar. In my opinion the trailer didn't really manage to capture the game well. It's a nice little turn based strategy tabletop. You get new unit types as you progress, you can upgrade things. The art is nice and immersive and you can zoom in at the level of the battle. There is also a small bit of a story (you can see a kid writing letters to his dad or uncle who's in the battlefield, I'm not sure) but I didn't focus on that. If you like turn based battles I recommend it.

Thanks! I'll probably just end up pulling the trigger on it. I like strategy games, and being able to stand over it seems fantastic.

Anyone else get woozy for a while after a play session?

I was having some issues today. Not sure if they were tracking or frame rate related but it didn't feel good. Also got that weird stuck in floor bug to happen while in the overlay room which was pretty weird. Another also, had the bug where bib picture mode wouldn't appear. I had to jump into desktop view to launch a game.

I had something very similar happen to me about an hour ago. I had just installed a new light fixture in the middle of the ceiling this morning, and I think that it was just slightly blocking the lighthouses line of sight between each other. Removing the light fixture totally fixed it, and this was the only time I've felt anything close to nauseous with it.

I've also had the same tracking issues occur when one of the lighthouse mounting sockets loosened, and the angle shifted down too far.

kaskade

Man, feels weird being in the real world now. I kinda fudged my room scale in my room so I had this thought in the back of my head that I was going to hit my tv or smack into my bed. I'm going to bring it into my basement tomorrow which has an empty 10x10 room that I think will make me a little less cautious and more into the virtual world. I did hit my wall a bit throwing things in Job Simulator. I'm having a blast though. The lab was fun, when you go to the north face of the mountain and it's a cliff, I got some vertigo. The archery mini game was probably my favorite. It felt so good. Once I get everything set up properly I'm going to get holopoint.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
My god, VR is incredible. I was completely shocked of how amazing it felt starting Job Simulator. My jaw dropped to the first floor all the way from the 4th floor.

I moved some stuff around in my room to allow for more space, and I dunno what changed during the setup process but the tracking has been giving me issues all night. I spent about an hour in Job Simulator and then 20 minutes in Vanishing realms before I had to admit defeat and stop because I was so nauseous. In the last few minutes I also realized that the chaperone bounds were a solid foot away from where the actual wall was (as in, the wall was hitting my hand before the chaperone showed where it should be.

I don't really want to go through the setup process again, but I might have to entirely remount the lighthouses and start fresh. I haven't felt this VR sick since DK1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I moved some stuff around in my room to allow for more space, and I dunno what changed during the setup process but the tracking has been giving me issues all night. I spent about an hour in Job Simulator and then 20 minutes in Vanishing realms before I had to admit defeat and stop because I was so nauseous. In the last few minutes I also realized that the chaperone bounds were a solid foot away from where the actual wall was (as in, the wall was hitting my hand before the chaperone showed where it should be.

I don't really want to go through the setup process again, but I might have to entirely remount the lighthouses and start fresh. I haven't felt this VR sick since DK1.

there should be no reason to physically remount anything. Just try room setup again and redraw the room. Restart SteamVR and/or your PC just in case.

Helznicht

So went ViveR first time tonight with the Kids. First experience was, well, breathtaking. So much better than I was fearing from all the blurry/pixels talk. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Then I grabbed the IPD knob, and well it hasn't been the same since. Nothing is as clear as that first time in. I do feel by the end of the night I was getting close to where I was. I feel I really need to do a IPD measurement. After trying a few games, the only draw back is looking out into the distance. Games like the Labs Sling Shot (and the areas where you just look around, suffer because you kinda have to look out into the distance, and those boxes your aiming at in the distance are very low res looking. But look at the cores next to your head and you could swear those are real and tangible.

But with all the things it does do right, it was totally worth it for me. Totally awesome experience so far. Not one issue in tracking, display is free from defects, controllers are working perfectly.

Son came away saying it the best thing he has every tried (job sim is his jam).

SimplexPL

On this note, is there a good software way to measure IPD? I really miss the Oculus method. I actually still haven't dialed in my IPD accurately because I honestly don't want to break out a ruler. I tried the Warby Parker site but they never emailed me back.
This worked for me: http://www.trylive.com/demos/trylive-eyewear/pupil-distance

Requires a webcam. I later measured my IPD at glasses store (using a pupilometer) and it was the same as measured by the above method.

Scapegoat

If you purchase ADR1FT on Steam you can get a code for Oculus Home by simple filing a support ticket on their website. They simply request a screenshot of your purchase receipt email and then the key is yours. The Steam version of ADR1FT has yet to be patched with support for the Vive, last I heard (just after release, so quite some time ago) it was intended for sometime in May.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I want to see big expensive room-scale games, but I think all the high-budget VR stuff is aiming for the Rift or for both headsets right now.

That's too bad, moving back to a controller and seated experiences is tough

I really recommend trying out something like The Climb of you can. With a lot of other controller games it's hard to see what the VR stuff adds when you're seated and playing with a controller, but The Climb really shows that presence and head tracking can definitely enable really engaging seated controller experiences, with the added bonus being they're easier to play for a longer period of time.
There sadly a lack of things like that out at the moment, but I'm sure more will come.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Probably the most infuriating thing about the sweet spot is after attaining it, looking down, and the headset being pulled up your face so you lose it :(.

Fuck you wires.

The only way VR goes mainstream is if the process for getting the sweatspot is: Put on headset, adjust IPD, adjust distance (focus) and works every time.

I am sure today will be another day of me fighting blurriness instead of developing :(. So disheartening.

Trojan

Reposting for new page:

Are there any other "spaces" for the Vive Home lobby besides Museum and Space? I've downloaded a bunch of normal static picture backgrounds, but can't find any other Home replacement backgrounds that are animated and allow for teleportation.

Crispy75

The only way VR goes mainstream is if the process for getting the sweatspot is: Put on headset, adjust IPD, adjust distance (focus) and works every time.

If lens position can be motorised, then eye tracking should allow perfect sweet-spotting no matter how you put the headset on, with only FOV and central pixel density suffering due to mis-alignment.

Zalusithix

I've only had the Vive for a short period of time and I haven't played any seated experiences yet, but aside from cockpit games, I'm not sure I have any desire to. Having controllers that were intuitive extensions of my body and the ability to step/turn wherever (within limits) was just so natural. I could live with standing 360, but seated with a controller? If I'm not seated in the game... Meh.

Edit:
If lens position can be motorised, then eye tracking should allow perfect sweet-spotting no matter how you put the headset on, with only FOV and central pixel density suffering due to mis-alignment.
Not a great idea IMO. The detriment from the added weight of a motorized system would cancel out any benefit you got from the lens movements.

How good is the leap anyway? Using your actual hands to do things sounds too good to be true.

in Altspace it gives your avatar hands and near 1-1 hand gestures, but you're not able to pick anything up or interact with the environment. Not sure what other uses there are outside of that but with the Vive controllers in Altspace you're able to pick stuff up and interact.

Finally got Revive working last night and tried some controller games for the first time.

Technolust: Really cool atmosphere. It really makes you feel like you're in this cyberpunk future. This was also the first game that I noticed I couldn't physically look closer (or farther) at stuff and that was a bit jarring. This game in particular would gain so much more with room scale and tracked controls. Unfortunately I was feeling the onset of motion sickness after a while and decided to stop it early. It was the first thing I played when I got home and I didn't want to ruin the rest of my night. I'll definitely be coming back to it though.

Farlands:
Didn't play too much of this one but I thought the controller integration was really good here. I can see myself coming back and exploring this one more later.

Lucky's Tale: Alright. This was cool. It felt like controlling a living stuffed animal in a diorama that's in front and all around me. I'm not a huge 3D platformer guy so it's not something I would have bought, but playing this game got me REAL excited for other 3rd person games like Edge of Nowhere and Chronos.

So overall very interesting stuff. After a couple of days playing room scale stuff, it was nice to be able to sit down and relax in VR with a controller. There's definitely a place for both experiences.

Welcome to VR, my friend. I got mine last week and tinkering with the Vive has been some of my fondest gaming memories in many years. Have you tried VR before or did you buy sight unseen?
Gear Vr is the most I've done, while really fun I'm expecting this to blow me away.

Trojan

Gear Vr is the most I've done, while really fun I'm expecting this to blow me away.

I had zero VR experience before I bought my Vive, and it floored me. The room scale is game-changing. Breathes new life into games like Minecraft and the experience is just a whole separate level of gaming than you're used to.

I don't have any less interest in 2D gaming after using VR, it kind of scratches a different itch for me.

Onemic

in Altspace it gives your avatar hands and near 1-1 hand gestures, but you're not able to pick anything up or interact with the environment. Not sure what other uses there are outside of that but with the Vive controllers in Altspace you're able to pick stuff up and interact.

Unfortunate, but I cant say I'm surprised.

Onemic

Thats leap motion as a standalone product. I don't know how it works with the Vive controller, it may add another layer to the already extremely accurate tracking and control offered by the Vive.

Oh, you can combine it with the Vive Controller as well? Interesting.

I guess the main thing limiting it is that devs will have to explicitly design games with it in mind.

Randdalf

If you don't have glasses or freakish bulb eyes, adjust the lens distance to lowest setting (closest to face). It's the best FOV and I'd keep it there unless you can't focus on it.

Also, play with the IPD distance and focus on one distant object looking straight at it. If you know your IPD even better but a lot of people can figure it out through trial and error.

Padding: general consensus is to use the lower of the two padding a provided. Some people are actually cutting it and swearing that it drastically improved clarity, but do that at your own peril. I would press it close to your face to see if that helps first before doing anything drastic.

Nice, thanks. I honestly don't notice that much difference adjusting the IPD, but I measured it using a ruler/mirror and set it to that value.

I guess the main thing limiting it is that devs will have to explicitly design games with it in mind.

Not sure. I just saw a post regarding leap motion supporting the Vive. I would imagine thats what it does but not sure. I would read up on it but headed to a meeting.

Not sure. I just saw a post regarding leap motion supporting the Vive. I would imagine thats what it does but not sure. I would read up on it but headed to a meeting.

The recent story about Leap Motion supporting Vive is about how you can now use your hands in place of the Vive controllers now.

Article | Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom