• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowhere did I say I was upset nor did I say I didn't like it.; I said VIVE GAF over hyped it. And keep in mind I spent nearly 1,000 USD on a headset, so 2.99 USD isn't really something to be upset about.
I completely agree with this opinion. No idea what the hype for the game is about.

RedFox85

So I got my vive but I had to go to work 45 minutes later. I set that thing up super quickly, tore through the box and got it up and running with 30 mins or so to spare. My jaw was just on the floor.. This was my first VR experience, I played nothing but just the presentation of the tutorial impressed me. I finally understand that feeling of presence and no video can do VR justice.

My only question now is how do I redeem my pre order games? Was there a code in the box??

Trojan

Let us know what performance is like, and what shaders you use. I think I experimented with sonic ether shaders ages ago but I lost touch with things.

I definitely will...once I get home on Friday from a work trip 😑 I travel a lot for work and my first week away from the Vive is killing me. Experimenting with that thing is so fun.

I've got a couple good leads on how I can get some legit shaders setup without sacrificing much performance. I was floored at vanilla Minecraft so getting shaders setup is going to be some next level immersion.

artsi

MocuMocuDance is the killer app. Audioshield? Pffft, I'm grooving with my waifus in roomscale.

RpX2InN.gif

Trojan

I haven't tweaked the lens distance or padding at all yet, is there a good process for figuring that stuff out?

If you don't have glasses or freakish bulb eyes, adjust the lens distance to lowest setting (closest to face). It's the best FOV and I'd keep it there unless you can't focus on it.

Also, play with the IPD distance and focus on one distant object looking straight at it. If you know your IPD even better but a lot of people can figure it out through trial and error.

Padding: general consensus is to use the lower of the two padding a provided. Some people are actually cutting it and swearing that it drastically improved clarity, but do that at your own peril. I would press it close to your face to see if that helps first before doing anything drastic.

Lunar FC

Finally fired up the budget cuts demo. Felt legit fear when I got caught and was running for my life fumbling with my knives. Pretty awesome.

Brisal73

Got my Vive today.

Took a while to setup but that was due to the walls in my house and a lack of a power drill.
Then had slight issue with headset connecting, but moved the USB and it worked fine after that.
Keep in mind I have never tried VR until today.
Then came that white training lesson room. Wow the tricks that it does to your brain is amazing.
Then the Blu... I had to step back, again it felt like I was underwater.

Wife comes home soon she is going to flip out.

spannicus

Most of my picture frames, sound bars and artwork in my house are hung with those. The ones I have holding the lighthouses hold 12 pounds. I have NEVER had one come off the wall. Ever. They are legit and I'm not sure what people are using that claim "vibrations" cause them to come loose.
Thank you

Lunar FC

Got my Vive today.

Took a while to setup but that was due to the walls in my house and a lack of a power drill.
Then had slight issue with headset connecting, but moved the USB and it worked fine after that.
Keep in mind I have never tried VR until today.
Then came that white training lesson room. Wow the tricks that it does to your brain is amazing.
Then the Blu... I had to step back, again it felt like I was underwater.

Wife comes home soon she is going to flip out.

Awesome man. What else you gonna try out?

Also, play with the IPD distance and focus on one distant object looking straight at it. If you know your IPD even better but a lot of people can figure it out through trial and error.
A critical component of my Vive kit:

lfnHdcK.jpg

Kinda creepy to stare into their eyes up close for a moment, but they'll forget all about it once VR starts up

Brisal73

Awesome man. What else you gonna try out?

Tried Minigolf. Pretty cool but a bit disorienting as I was always trying to walk to the ball and sometimes when I teleported I was floating in the air.

I bought a ton of games so I will try them all out.
Any recommendations?

BTW I really like how the controllers can be sitting on my desk and I can easy grab them even though they are floating in mid air.

Amazing stuff and will only get better.
I can truly see people dedicating whole bedrooms into a vr room, once they become lighter, wireless, and cheaper

I am already thinking of ways to improve my space.

Lunar FC

Tried Minigolf. Pretty cool but a bit disorienting as I was always trying to walk to the ball and sometimes when I teleported I was floating in the air.

I bought a ton of games so I will try them all out.
Any recommendations?

BTW I really like how the controllers can be sitting on my desk and I can easy grab them even though they are floating in mid air.

Amazing stuff and will only get better.
I can truly see people dedicating whole bedrooms into a vr room, once they become lighter, wireless, and cheaper

I am already thinking of ways to improve my space.

Do you have the pre-order games? Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption are both great things to start out with. Also mess around with The Lab and Budget Cuts demo.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Got it today, only played with the dk1 before, sold my cv rift , 2.9 m x 2.3 m space ... Absolutely floored by just the tutorial and the blu

Daughter screamed like crazy and she refused to keep playing after doing the turtle demo, she's 7

Wife told her, 'why are you yelling it's just a game', then it was her turn and she made me take of the headphones because the whale demo was too much with sound and video

Brisal73

Do you have the pre-order games? Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption are both great things to start out with. Also mess around with The Lab and Budget Cuts demo.

I have
Audioshield
Budget Cuts
VR minigolf
Fantastic Contraption
Call of Starseed
Hoiver Junkers
Job Sim
The Lab
Space Pirate
theBlu
Tilt Brush
Vanishing Realms
The Visitor

A critical component of my Vive kit:

lfnHdcK.jpg

Kinda creepy to stare into their eyes up close for a moment, but they'll forget all about it once VR starts up

On this note, is there a good software way to measure IPD? I really miss the Oculus method. I actually still haven't dialed in my IPD accurately because I honestly don't want to break out a ruler. I tried the Warby Parker site but they never emailed me back.

Compsiox

Banned
On this note, is there a good software way to measure IPD? I really miss the Oculus method. I actually still haven't dialed in my IPD accurately because I honestly don't want to break out a ruler. I tried the Warby Parker site but they never emailed me back.

Keep changing it it and putting it on your head until you don't feel/see your eyes cross.

ducksauce

I played some seated experience last night (ran through the Adventure Time game again as well just b/c boredom). Honestly, I'd pay $100 for a Steam Controller that had Vive tracking integrated so you could see it in game like the wands.

Absolutely this! Valve has to add lighthouse tracking to the next version of the Steam controller. Not only would it make it much easier to find if you have to put it down but they could also add Workshop support for controller skins.

Also, I know I'm in the minority in this thread but I want more good seated experiences. Don't get me wrong, room-scale is great but so is variety. Like millions of other people, I have a physical job where I'm on my feet all day, sometimes 45 or 50 hours a week. The last thing I want to do when I get home is flail around in the living room working up a sweat. I save that for my days off.

newsguy

I bought the blu just for my wife. She put on the hmd in the lobby with the view of earth and almost had a panic attack. She freaked out and took it off within 10 seconds. So... Great. Anyway the abyss thing is super creepy.

Dodecagon

Is there an in game VR dota 2 client yet like in the launch trailers... I want to keep playing VR games but I also want to watch the dota2qualifiers

Running into what feels like stuttering in audiophile, only in the slower sections of the songs where the balls freeze for a sec then jump forward.

My setup:
4k TV main screen + monitor
I7_4790k
980Ti
16Gb ram
SSD
Windows 10 and steam beta

So far this is the only game to do this

This has probably been one of the few times where sweating is fun, the game is alot of fun.

Edit: if the max rooms are size is 5x5 meters, it means the max distance between lighthouses should be 7 meters. So why does it give me a warning that I exceeded the max distance of 5meters between lighthouses, it's 6.5m right now and I had 0 tracking issues so far.

It does when you open the vr up and click on the lighthouse.

I completely agree with this opinion. No idea what the hype for the game is about.

I assumed a gaffer made it and people were being polite about it.

Im not sure if a gaffer made it or not but it is a fun original game none the less.

I bought the blu just for my wife. She put on the hmd in the lobby with the view of earth and almost had a panic attack. She freaked out and took it off within 10 seconds. So... Great. Anyway the abyss thing is super creepy.

Talk her into doing The Blue Demo and then sprinkle some water on her... A spray bottle works as well.

Also, Seriously guys, try putting a fan on you in games where it fits. Like the Photogrammetry demos and Vivecraft. Talk about immersion.

Talk her into doing The Blue Demo and then sprinkle some water on her... A spray bottle works as well.

Also, Seriously guys, try putting a fan on you in games where it fits. Like the Photogrammetry demos and Vivecraft. Talk about immersion.

My wife has some school work tonight, but I'm definitely doing the above this weekend ^

Are you all trying to electrocute your wives? Seriously though since when has spraying water on electronics ever been a good idea?

Tried the foam face mask trick and it's quite comfortable. The problem? It doesn't breathe enough so the lenses fogged up in seconds. Lol Tested it on top of the normal foam insert and it had enough airflow to keep things from fogging, but now the lenses are too far away, reducing IQ. Oy.

Dodecagon

What's the best waterproof mask? it'd be nice to clean it in between uses from person to person

Trojan

Are there any other "spaces" for the Vive Home lobby besides Museum and Space? I've downloaded a bunch of normal static picture backgrounds, but can't find any other Home replacement backgrounds that are animated and allow for teleportation.

Are you all trying to electrocute your wives? Seriously though since when has spraying water on electronics ever been a good idea?

Well yeah, it would be kind of dumb to spray the HMD. I'm talking about the arms, legs or any exposed skin...

I had a tank top on and my wife sprayed water on my arm as a prank the first time I tried The Blue... It was the weirdest and coolest feeling of immersion ever. I told her I would usually think that something like that would just be a corny gimmick in most other circumstances like those 4D theaters but in this instance it totally worked. Just like the fan does where it would apply or make sense in whatever you are playing.

Came home frome work looking to relax with some 360 videos so I booted up my vive. Headset powers upd, light houses power up and is detected. I attempt to turn on my controllers and get a solid blue light on both, which of course means the controllers are not detected and are no longer paired.

I know for a fact that I didnt change anything on my PC the day before and everything worked fine prior to me turning it on today.

So I go through all of the recommended pairing procedures from hitting the menu plus system button, resetting the controller completely, switching USB ports, reinstalling USB drivers, reinstalling steamvr, uninstalling asus ai suite, and even updating firmware. Nothing seems to fix the issue.

Finally after two and half hours of troubleshooting I decide to uninstall steam and the vive completely. After reinstalling steam and steam VR the headset and controllers finally work.

Tl;dr Being an early adopter sucks balls sometimes.

Edit: when the vive works its great but there are still some serious kinks. Whether it be the light houses losing sync for no reason to the headset not tracking, and now the controllers not pairing. I know valve will iron out the issues with firmware and software improvements but it can be frustrating dealing with new tech.

so what's the consensus on getting virtual desktop or vorpx? Or are they different enough for it to not be a choice?

I'm thinking Virtual Desktop but i dunno

I bought hollowpoint based on this thread and that game is the shit. I didn't know they were shooting back though so I kept failing wave 1 and was real confused for a couple of tries until I started moving

also is there a way to get the sound to output to both my speakers and the vive headset without any extra hardware? wanting to hear what my wife is hearing when she's playing

so what's the consensus on getting virtual desktop or vorpx? Or are they different enough for it to not be a choice?

I bought hollowpoint based on this thread and that game is the shit. I didn't know they were shooting back though so I kept failing wave 1 and was real confused for a couple of tries until I started moving

also is there a way to get the sound to output to both my speakers and the vive headset without any extra hardware? wanting to hear what my wife is hearing when she's playing

You can set the audio to mirror in steamvr settings.

newsguy

Anyone else have a trigger that doesn't fully depress? In the lab, I was blowing balloons with the little controller you get on the table, and realized my left controller wouldn't stop blowing up the balloon after I had let go of the trigger. I tried on the other controller and it worked fine. I checked closely and that trigger never fully extends out unless I push it out from underneath...

Anyone know where you can get more of the Vive wide or narrow face sponges? Dare I say it, some of these sessions on Holopoint and Holoball can get a bit sweaty, so if I'm demoing, it would be great to have a few spare to change over.

Not sure about spare foam/sponge cushion thingies, but you can get covers at https://vrcover.com/. They come in sets of 2. I've read about others here making their own.

Kritz

Banned
Got my vive. Is awesome.

A few oddities/thoughts I've encountered:

In tiltbrush (which I adore), I often back up while drawing things, and more than a few times I've backed up into my television. The border of my chaperone has a decent buffer distance, but when backing up you don't really have much perspective that you're leaving the play area.

I also messed around installing random workshop things into my SteamVR environment. Though for some reason one of the user made things I downloaded just hard crashed SteamVR, and I was unable to even use my Vive until I worked out how to uninstall the content (by unsubscribing from it in the workshop). It's really weird that the SteamVR thing isn't sandboxed off from user content being able to crash it.

It's amazing how fast people pick up using the Vive, I've had people who have never played a game before in their life be able to start shooting things / simulating jobs / drawing 3d art, and they 'get it' instantly.

It's weird that in the room setup, you trace around the playable area of your room and it draws a little box inside, I was expecting the little box to be the play area games used, but some games seem to draw the outlined room as the play area instead. I felt like I was better served having a smaller play area away from doors and televisions, so I just made a 2x2 metre square in the middle which serves me well.

Coming from a DK2 though, I'm friggin blown away by everything about the device. The room scale stuff is monumental, the controllers are really nice and sturdy and have withstood a few hard whacks against walls already. For the first half hour I was a little concerned about the resolution, but honestly I don't even notice it now. Everything I've played, from awesome polished Valve thingos, to little early access prototypes, have been spectacularly immersive. The cable's a minor hassle, but after a few hours I'm already subconsciously stepping over it (and I do mean subconsciously - not even aware that I'm doing it).

I'm a little concerned that I should mount the lighthouses, since they're just sitting on shelves, but the tracking has been completely 1:1 so far. Performance wise, I'm not sure if my 970 is entirely up to the task, as every now and then I'll get a half second freeze frame, it's like... it's like the opposite feeling to jolting awake after falling in a dream, but just as mind-fucky.

Anyway, I expect to spend the next three days in a virtual reality coma, while simultaneously trying to force language crimes hip new VR lingo into the lives of the "realies" around me.

Are there any AAA games in the works for room scale?

I'm starting to question how well this would work, if I'm honest. I bought and played 30 minutes of Vanishing Realms tonight, and about 15 minutes into that I realized that most of the time, I was just standing in the center of the room idly and teleporting literally everywhere. The few times I got really immersed and wanted to move around (dodging some traps in a hallway, for example), I almost immediately ran into the chaperone bounds and was brutally torn out of that feeling. I'm also horribly afraid of being far enough away from the bounds to not see them, but close enough to hit the wall if I swing the remote in a wide arc as a sword.

To be clear, I have a pretty big playspace. In fact, I feel like I probably have a drastically larger, emptier space than most Vive users. It's a rectangular 4.5x4 meter room, with literally no furniture. I'm a student, so everything I own fits in my room and I happen to have a giant empty living room in my apartment right now. It even has a desk sized nook to put my desk in, so I have access to the entire area. And I still wish it was bigger. I want a warehouse to use the Vive in.

They're different enough IMO. VorpX is an injector that lets you play non-VR games in 3D with headtracking. It doesn't always support positional tracking, and it definitely doesn't support roomscale. Inversely, Virtual Desktop just projects your desktop on a polygonal surface, similar to what the menu in Steam VR does.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Man i am having a really hard time getting and staying in the sweet spot. Ive tried everything and my constant adjustment is hurting the overall experience.

For the record:
- My ipd is set correctly at 63.4ish.
- i assume i have it on right or at least the way most guides tell you.
- i have offset the bottom padding so the headset fits a bit lower and closer to my eyes.

Earlier today i had it perfect and playing vanishing realms was a dream. I could actually read the health/mana text and the inventory wasn't a blurry mess!

But tonight was a complete struggle.

Sometimes i think it's me, like expecting more clarity that what is possible.

I really hope vive 2.0 has a bigger sweet spot and optics that don't get blurry on the edges. That shit drives me crazy particularly when trying to aim with one eye or out of the corner. Eye tracking would be nice.

Also, when everything is clear the shimmering and low resolution is extremely noticible. VR tech still has such a long way to go. Its awesome and worth my purchase but in no way ready for mainstream appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom