• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought this over to my parent's house last night to show my dad. He acted like it was a stupid toy and nerdy when I told him about it, but he ended up hogging SPT for like 45 minutes :p

MaDKaT

Received my unit yesterday but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Killing me being at work when I could be at home making my wall mounts and getting it setup.

datamage

LaDa9EZ.png

K8ySn3e.gif

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the trick to getting past the "use the scanner by moving your head closer" part in Farlands? I read the new ReVive exe fixed this issue, but I just tried it last night and I still couldn't get past it.

I was trying both the controller and the keyboard... the UI for the scanner comes up, but no matter where I position it the game never registers it as being correct.

Owari

Any great free games? Super poor after buying the Vive and the 980. Any more VR purchases and I'll have to eat into my bills budget. I have Tilt Brush and Budget Cuts demo. I was thinking about setting up Vivecraft.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I played with this at my friends house last night for like 5 hours. So much fucking fun!! I was amazed. The potential is through the roof. We only played a bunch of mini game stuff but man I was blown away. It seriously felt like the next big evolution in gaming imo. I need to get one of these ASAP.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
ah SPT was the first game I played. I was trying to remember what that one was called. tons of fun. dodging the incoming fire and blocking shots with your shield felt sooooooo good. We played this zombie demo too where you just stand in one spot and take down incoming zombies with a handgun. I was absolutely amazed at how accurate you could be when firing the gun. I purposely missed quite a few times just trying to see how accurate i could get it when firing.

Man I can't stop thinking about it. Straight up jealous of anyone who has this lol.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Man, Vanishing Realms was just getting good and then the game....just...ends...

I think the hardest pill to swallow for me concerning VR (Vive in particular), other than the obvious technical limitations of the head set, are how shallow these launch games are. Is there a game on the Vive that goes beyond being a neat tech demo? Thankfully I am developing for it because otherwise this thing might not get used after the millionth SPT match or 1 hour run through of Vanishing Realms.

I am not trying to say that multiple 20 hour AAA titles should have been ready at launch but I think its not unheard of to question why Valve themselves didn't have a single AAA experience ready at launch.

Instead they just threw the vive to the wolves with only a few minigames to sate their hunger. I mean, Valve is a SOFTWARE company for the most part, yet they provided almost no software for their flagship platform. That is...unheard of.

Its almost like they knew CV1 isn't up to snuff visualswise and are waiting for version two to really drop the software bomb.

I'd almost encourage people to download the 4.12 build of Unreal Engine and start using it in VR. That shit is impressive, and might be the future of game design once blueprint and scripting can be done in Virtual Reality.

I'm trying not to go crazy buying every game I want right off the bat but there's so many cool things in it that I'm finding that to be a challenge

What's the deal with using it with glasses? I put my contacts in yesterday knowing it was coming but my wife used her glasses and felt that they were being jammed into her face by the foam. Should we switch to the narrow face foam thing? We adjusted it for it to sit comfortably but she felt it was still really tight, and it took her glasses off when she took off the headset

datamage

I am not trying to say that multiple 20 hour AAA titles should have been ready at launch but I think its not unheard of to question why Valve themselves didn't have a single AAA experience ready at launch.

Instead they just threw the vive to the wolves with only a few minigames to sate their hunger. I mean, Valve is a SOFTWARE company for the most part, yet they provided almost no software for their flagship platform. That is...unheard of.

Yeah, it's the reason a few of my friends are not jumping onboard yet. I think it may take a bit before we see a few AAA games. I imagine they'd like to ensure VR is a success before investing money into it. You're right, however, I would have expected Valve to have something. Ah well. I look forward to tinkering around with it and seeing where it goes.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yeah, it's the reason a few of my friends are not jumping onboard yet. I think it may take a bit before we see a few AAA games. I imagine they'd like to ensure VR is a success before investing money into it. You're right, however, I would have expected Valve to have something. Ah well. I look forward to tinkering around with it and seeing where it goes.
We are going to have to be able to see clearly beyond 30ft for AAA stuff to take off. Playing vanishing realms made me hyper aware of just how terrible the iq gets in the distance. Any type of long range shooting game is DOA because of this (which means no military shooters).

For current gen all the action really needs to happen right in front of you, particularly if you are using locational damage.

This is why Budget Cuts gets so much praise. Its corridors are tight and you don't have long sight lines. Any target is right in front of you and it feels good.

Food for thought, any AAA style game in development will be coming out after CV2 and possibly CV3. Us early adopters are literally beta testers at this point. We will have replaced these headsets before anything meaty comes out.

Onemic

I think the hardest pill to swallow for me concerning VR (Vive in particular), other than the obvious technical limitations of the head set, are how shallow these launch games are. Is there a game on the Vive that goes beyond being a neat tech demo? Thankfully I am developing for it because otherwise this thing might not get used after the millionth SPT match or 1 hour run through of Vanishing Realms.

Its almost like they knew CV1 isn't up to snuff visualswise and are waiting for version two to really drop the software bomb.

I'd almost encourage people to download the 4.12 build of Unreal Engine and start using it in VR. That shit is impressive, and might be the future of game design once blueprint and scripting can be done in Virtual Reality.

I just started using UE4. Would you suggest learning level design in VR first or learning it the traditional way?

parabolee

Anyone else getting micro stutters? Or know how to fix them?

I have an GTX 980, i7 4770K & 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) so it shouldn't be a performance issue.

It's not massive or enough to spoil the experience but I know it can't be normal and must be fixable.

I am having to run a 50ft HDMI and USB extension to get the Vive into a room I have the space to play in. So I hope it's not those. I made sure I got ones that were reported as compatible on the Reddit thread -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables

Everything seems to work great, but I often get these tiny micro-stutters when moving my head. Like a small amount of frames are being dropped.

Going to try a few different things this weekend to eradicate this. Will report back but if anyone already experienced this and knows a fix I would appreciate it!

Thanks

Anyone else getting micro stutters? Or know how to fix them?

I have an GTX 980, i7 4770K & 16GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) so it shouldn't be a performance issue.

It's not massive or enough to spoil the experience but I know it can't be normal and must be fixable.

I am having to run a 50ft HDMI and USB extension to get the Vive into a room I have the space to play in. So I hope it's not those. I made sure I got ones that were reported as compatible on the Reddit thread -

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables

Everything seems to work great, but I often get these tiny micro-stutters when moving my head. Like a small amount of frames are being dropped.

Going to try a few different things this weekend to eradicate this. Will report back but if anyone already experienced this and knows a fix I would appreciate it!

Thanks

I ran into this problem but I don't have your set up. What fixed it for me was turning reprojection off, trying some games and then turning it back on again. Hope that helps for you!

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I just started using UE4. Would you suggest learning level design in VR first or learning it the traditional way?

ooo, um honestly the concepts should be the same, only the controls (and experience ) change.

The problem with UE4 in VR is that the performance tanks really quickly. So if your scene is complex its impossible to use VR for development (though playing the level might be perfectly fine). I hope that makes sense.

Epic should be improving performance for editor VR and 2017 pascal cards will help too.

As for right now, I would stick with traditional methods due to the performance cost unless your levels are going to be pretty simple.

The future though, man, the first time I zoomed out and viewed my level like it was sitting on a table top....my mind was fucking blown. Game design will be done in VR in the future, that I am 100% certain of.

I ran into this problem but I don't have your set up. What fixed it for me was turning reprojection off, trying some games and then turning it back on again. Hope that helps for you!

Is reprojection screen mirroring?

Helznicht

Its an incredible experience well worth $19.99.

Picking that up tonight for sure.

Sat down with Elite D. for about an hour messing with graphics settings. Came away with the feeling you need a lot more that a 970 and a i5 to get this looking any where decent. Space station interiors are a shimmery mess in the vive HMD in both VR Low and High (both settings ran solid & smooth up to 1080p res). But to make stations look like anything other than pixel soup, super sampling x2 at 1080p is what I had to have. And at that level, framerate was way to jittery (was running around 45 fps, what happened to re-projection? doesn't seem to work on vive in ED).

Strangely enough the text was mostly a non issue for me as it just took a little leaning left/right, to read my displays.

After seeing ifixit's teardown I have a feeling the display panels in the Vive may be upgradeable. At least someone from the modding community will be able to do so with relative ease.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Interleaved Reprojection. It's got some kinks at the moment where it unnecessarily cuts framerate to half sometimes when detecting dropped frames in certain engines because the developers weren't aware of it soon enough. Switching it off and then back on again fixed all of my problems though.

Interesting, have seen no talk about it on Unreal VR boards. Hopefully it isn't an issue for us.

After seeing ifixit's teardown I have a feeling the display panels in the Vive may be upgradeable. At least someone from the modding community will be able to do so with relative ease.

Problem is 4k panels dont exist yet, neither does the computer to output to them :p.

parabolee

Thanks I will try that!

Does it happen in every application and during actual gameplay? I know they can happen when stuff is loading in or when first launching an app.

I noticed it most in loading screens. Mainly because once in game I was distracted. But it was definitely also happening in games (although maybe less).

Interesting, have seen no talk about it on Unreal VR boards. Hopefully it isn't an issue for us.

Problem is 4k panels dont exist yet, neither does the computer to output to them :p.

Panels been out since last year Sony 4K phone of course I don't know the refresh max on those

UnrealEck

Twenty to six and still no arrival of my order despite it being sent two days ago as express (next day) at a cost to me of £47.48.
It was even held for twelve hours yesterday at the one place.

Sky Chief

Personally, I think it's the best software launch I've ever seen. I've had mine since launch day and still have a huge backlog and I'm not getting bored at all of the software. Well, I did get a little bored of The Lab after initially being so enamored because there's no progression. But games like SPT and Holopoint just keep getting better and better the more that you play them.

Anyway, there are at least half a dozen games that I've played already that have me way more enjoyment than any AAA game that I've played in years.

Can anyone confirm that using extension cords for the headset/breakout box will work ok? Got my dual dog lead setup working but just need longer cables.

Can anyone confirm that using extension cords for the headset/breakout box will work ok? Got my dual dog lead setup working but just need longer cables.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4eiqda/10ft_extension_cables_after_the_breakout_box/?

I'm sorry I keep answering a lot of posts with Reddit links guys. There is just a lot of information there that pertains to our needs.

Is it just me or do a lot of the vr games take a long time to load up? My experience has been that they take significantly longer.

Pretty much the same length of time as standard games for me and sometimes faster. I haven't noticed much of a difference at all. I have all of them on my SSD though.

Yoritomo

Probably the most infuriating thing about the sweet spot is after attaining it, looking down, and the headset being pulled up your face so you lose it :(.

Fuck you wires.

The only way VR goes mainstream is if the process for getting the sweatspot is: Put on headset, adjust IPD, adjust distance (focus) and works every time.

I am sure today will be another day of me fighting blurriness instead of developing :(. So disheartening.

My headset placement was fragile until I extended the top strap to allow the headset harness to cup the protrusion at the rear of your head that's above the base of the skull (occipital bone?)

Set the top strap first. It should be able to maintain position but hang slightly open at the bottom of the headset when the side straps aren't tightened. Tighten side straps until you have even pressure around the face weld. That should make it pretty resilient and keep it in the proper position in front of your eyes.

"I think the hardest pill to swallow for me concerning VR (Vive in particular), other than the obvious technical limitations of the head set, are how shallow these launch games are. Is there a game on the Vive that goes beyond being a neat tech demo? Thankfully I am developing for it because otherwise this thing might not get used after the millionth SPT match or 1 hour run through of Vanishing Realms."

It's true that the current crop of non-cockpit games (that I've tried anyway, admittedly few) are mechanically simplistic. They're fun and they give you an idea of the potential for VR, but yeah. Most AAA games are mechanically simplistic too, though.

With the glut of upcoming VR games I have no doubt that at least a few devs will stumble upon some real magic.

Drakken

So my Vive came today. Unfortunately am thinking I won't be able to keep it, as money is a lot tighter than when I preordered. :-/

For those who ordered with a credit card - when did you see the final charge show up? There was a pending charge from HTC for the full amount when I checked a week or so ago which I expected to transition over into a finalized transaction, but now there's nothing. I'm assuming it'll show up in a day or two; just seems strange that I've received the Vive without having been charged.

Yusaku

Are there any troubleshooting tips for pairing an iPhone to the Vive? The app gives almost no feedback as to why it does't pair when I follow the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom