• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

tensuke

Going up to my brother's tomorrow for the weekend, and I get to try his Vive! So excited to finally try real VR (besides the couple of buggy DK2 demos I played). Heard great things about SPT, can't wait. Too bad he sold his Leap Motion with his DK2, apparently they're just starting to make it useful in games. :p

Hickee

Need help. One of the power cables for the Base stations has a small defect at the part where it plugs into the station itself. I was having intermittent problems with syncing and after investigating, it seems that this is the culprit. The Base station was losing and regaining power quickly, after taking the cable out and trying it on the other Base station it had the same effect but will now only work if pushed up tightly which isn't ideal.

I've contacted support for a replacement but in the meantime is there any other way to power the adapter by using a similar power cable safely? I'm assuming there should be a power cable out there that would work but I'm not sure when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Zalusithix

I have my PC connected to my TV using DVI HDMI cable and I can select TV's speakers as output.

DVI has no specifications for carrying an audio feed, but then looking at Wikipedia I see "Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).". So it may end up working for him. I hate relying on non-standard implementations of specs though.

I've got a problem :( One of my lighthouses isn't working properly.

When it was first setup a couple of days ago, the Vive screen would sometimes go completely grey, then fade back up. I looked it up and it's a tracking issue.

I spent sometime yesterday and today playing around, and it's definitely one of the Lighthouses. It syncs up, but if you stand with you back to the working lighthouse so it's occluded and just use the faulty one, it doesn't track the controllers or headset. Turn around a bit so the working one can see you a bit, and it's fine.

I've gone over everything I can think of. Bluetoooth on / off, firmware is up to date, turned off all wifi and consoles and lights and everything else. I swapped the Lighthouses around with each other to confirm, and yep, it's definitely that one.

Up until this point, I'd been launching games from a monitor and then putting the headset on. It was only when I went to launch while inside the headset that I noticed the faulty Lighthouse is showing in the VR room at being very low to the ground? It's 2m in the air, but it's showing as maybe 50cm high.

Not sure what I can do other than contact HTC support tomorrow and hopefully get a replacement.

When it was first setup a couple of days ago, the Vive screen would sometimes go completely grey, then fade back up. I looked it up and it's a tracking issue.

I spent sometime yesterday and today playing around, and it's definitely one of the Lighthouses. It syncs up, but if you stand with you back to the working lighthouse so it's occluded and just use the faulty one, it doesn't track the controllers or headset. Turn around a bit so the working one can see you a bit, and it's fine.

I've gone over everything I can think of. Bluetoooth on / off, firmware is up to date, turned off all wifi and consoles and lights and everything else. I swapped the Lighthouses around with each other to confirm, and yep, it's definitely that one.

Up until this point, I'd been launching games from a monitor and then putting the headset on. It was only when I went to launch while inside the headset that I noticed the faulty Lighthouse is showing in the VR room at being very low to the ground? It's 2m in the air, but it's showing as maybe 50cm high.

Not sure what I can do other than contact HTC support tomorrow and hopefully get a replacement.

You might want to re-run your room setup. I had that happen one of the times I set it up, and re-running the room setup brought it back up to the correct height.

Zalusithix

Did you try running the sync cable between them just to rule out them being out of sync?

You might want to re-run your room setup. I had that happen one of the times I set it up, and re-running the room setup brought it back up to the correct height.

Spent 2 hours re-setting up and counting :( It's not just the height, it flat out doesn't work if it's the only lighthouse that can view the controllers or headset.

Sync cable - no I've not actually done that. I did move the mounting holes on the way much to the wife's dismay (more holes in the lounge!) so, yeah, trying a cable would make sense. I'll give that a try :)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it just me or do a lot of the vr games take a long time to load up? My experience has been that they take significantly longer.

Some of them load quick, but I've definitely noticed that The Lab and The Gallery both have really long load times when loading a new area.

I'm contemplating getting a Vive in late august. How backed up are orders? Would it make sense to put in a preorder now that I could cancel later if I change my mind?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Lab is pretty rough with the loading screen, FPS drops so I have to close my eyes while loading else I feel ill.....

I have a feeling that the lab actually dumps the Lab hub and loads an entirely new executable for every experience. It definitely has to for some of them, because they use different engines.

Probably the most infuriating thing about the sweet spot is after attaining it, looking down, and the headset being pulled up your face so you lose it :(.

Fuck you wires.

The only way VR goes mainstream is if the process for getting the sweatspot is: Put on headset, adjust IPD, adjust distance (focus) and works every time.

I am sure today will be another day of me fighting blurriness instead of developing :(. So disheartening.

Today was the first time since Tuesday that I've actually really noticed bluriness and the lense rings.

Looking at the irrational exuberance and the star in particular I could help but noticing the halo rings. The bluriness seemed more in the left eye and I'm conscious that my finger tech the left lense when I was packing it up yesterday. I'm sure this is the initial cause however what's seen can't be unseen and I found myself getting annoyed that I could see these issues.

I think I may also have had the visor pressed too tight to my face now.

Compsiox

Banned
Read your manuals people!

I know you're all excited to tear open your Vives and hookem up but I've been seeing a lot of stuff in here that is in the manual.

Zalusithix

He's talking about connecting the TV through the display port to HDMI cable.

DP to HDMI gets you into the whole passive cable vs active adapter issue. Depending on the source and target it might work passively. It might not, in which case it will require an active adapter which is more expensive. It's just more foolproof (and typically cheaper) to go HDMI->HDMI and DP->mDP. You can technically do all sorts of crazy things to the signal chain and have it work. That doesn't mean you should. KISS principle and all that.

kinggroin

Banned
No luck, sync cable hasn't resolved the issue :(

Make absolutely sure you see the letter B on one lighthouse, and the letter A on another if you're using the sync cable.

Otherwise, one is B one is C without it.

Lighthouses should both have green light indicating they see each other.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Make absolutely sure you see the letter B on one lighthouse, and the letter A on another if you're using the sync cable.

Otherwise, one is B one is C without it.

Lighthouses should both have green light indicating they see each other.

On mine it's a white-ish light when they see each other.

Thanks for the advice. I'd already gone through all those suggestions. I'm convinced the Lighthouse itself is faulty, regardless of position or orientation, if that's the only one which has line of sight to a controller or headset, it immediately loses tracking.

I'll give HTC a call tomorrow and hopefully they'll have a fix or if not they'll arrange a replacement, and hopefully I'll not have to return the faulty unit until the new one appears. Given only one is tracking, it's working remarkably well and I'm OK on games like SPT which play over 270 degs.

So the only way to watch 360 videos is by spending £15 for Virtual Desktop?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have Virtual Desktop, but I've been using Whirligig and like it alot better for 360 videos.

There's a free version that I started with and a paid version that costs a few dollars but includes some additional features, which I picked up once I got a feel for the program.

Just a tip, the best control method seems to be using an Xbox controller as M+KB and Vive controller support seems to be missing some features that appear to be available only when using an Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller.

I could be wrong about that, but just wanted to share what I've learned so far :)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Remember when I said things were blurry? Well, it still is, after tinkering. It's better but not perfect. I'm probably more sensitive to quality of these things than most. However, it's good to see people are also finally coming around to noticing the blur. There's no need to be delusional about the tech. It's great but a 1.0 product at the most.

I wonder what the upgrade cycle will be. Two years? It desperately needs higher resolution.

bj00rn_

Banned
Remember when I said things were blurry? Well, it still is, after tinkering. It's better but not perfect. I'm probably more sensitive to quality of these things than most. However, it's good to see people are also finally coming around to noticing the blur. There's no need to be delusional about the tech. It's great but a 1.0 product at the most.

I wonder what the upgrade cycle will be. Two years? It desperately needs higher resolution.

Yeah, after two weeks with this thing (and two years with the DK1 and DK2) I can indeed safely say it's not just you. I knew the resolution wasn't going to be all that, but considering this is a CV the image quality overall is borderlining shocking to me. Elite Dangerous is just one symptom of the sorry state of affairs. Not the least the sweet spot is a lot narrower than I could ever imagine (why did the press at pre-launch tell us how wonderfully better it was..). The lens artifacts themselves are so bad that I suspect that that current solution VR technology as it is today isn't going to survive for many years to come. Considering that we're trying to move form factor to a better place at the same time, putting in larger and wider displays and lenses to mitigate fucked up IQ isn't going to cut it either.

Disclaimer: I've been having tons of fun with roomscale and will continue to have fun with the Vive despite IQ problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom