• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the lenses. I think resolution is as good as we can reasonably expect considering what is needed to drive the current resolution at acceptable framerate. However, I don't think they needed to make such huge compromises with the lenses. Heavier, thicker, I'm sure those are things they desperately wanted to avoid but the trade offs for that choice are the most glaring issues with the current tech.

Man I hope one of my wand things isn't busted. Just opened the box and the right part of the circle pad on one of the controllers doesn't click down satisfyingly like the other controller does. It clicks but it feels like it's kinda stuck down. Just what I want to find after paying close to a grand on all this stuff. Hopefully it isn't totally busted. Now I got to decided whether or not to contact support to send back the controller.

I've also been having my PC randomly turn off since I got the Vive. Defender found nothing so I'm not sure what's going on.
Try this: uninstall the HTC Vive application

I've been 24 hours shutdown free since doing it. Reliability History shows idle shutdowns occurring immediately after installation, and not once since uninstall

Vive plays just fine without it

jaypah

Anybody have any experience with Pierhead Arcade? Or maybe a better question is what's a good game for $10 or less? I'm buying SPT but I only have $25.

Yeah, after two weeks with this thing (and two years with the DK1 and DK2) I can indeed safely say it's not just you. I knew the resolution wasn't going to be all that, but considering this is a CV the image quality overall is borderlining shocking to me. Elite Dangerous is just one symptom of the sorry state of affairs. Not the least the sweet spot is a lot narrower than I could ever imagine (why did the press at pre-launch tell us how wonderfully better it was..). The lens artifacts themselves are so bad that I suspect that that current solution VR technology as it is today isn't going to survive for many years to come. Considering that we're trying to move form factor to a better place at the same time, putting in larger and wider displays and lenses to mitigate fucked up IQ isn't going to cut it either.

Disclaimer: I've been having tons of fun with roomscale and will continue to have fun with the Vive despite IQ problems.

What were you expecting having had a dk1&2, the cv resolutions of both headsets are not that much more and there was always going to have some sde. Problem is shoehorning graphically intensive games into this round of headset hardware. Certain art styles will show better. Cell shade is king this round. Delevopers need to recognize this.

Starviper

Are these blur/IQ issues more of a problem than they are on the Oculus, or is it about the same?

Vive owner - haven't tried the Oculus, but the word seems to be that the Oculus has a wider sweet spot, whereas the Vive has a smaller one. Both displays are the same resolution, but I have to adjust each time to get it to be in the exact right position on my face.

Who knows, there may be something they can do software-wise to get things to display more clearly. I know Elite Dangerous is more clear on the Rift, which is why i'm waiting until they update and add proper support before trying it on my Vive.

TheRed

I haven't noticed much difference between how clear the Rift and Vive are , in fact I feel the Vive is just as clear. The only noticeable difference is how light you make the Rift feel with just a little adjustment. The Vive doesn't feel heavy though.

There's nothing else I want to play besides ADR1FT at this point, and that's a month or more off.

I feel like my Vive is just going to be sitting on my desk collecting dust for the better part of the year :c

TheRed

There's nothing else I want to play besides ADR1FT at this point, and that's a month or more off.

I feel like my Vive is just going to be sitting on my desk collecting dust for the better part of the year :c
I can't imagine this for me considering how many hours I've put into audioshield already. I will always come back to that. All the free stuff is great too. Haven't even touched a lot of them yet. The only thing I've bought is audioshield and I'm satisfied. Can't wait until I can get more stuff like Hover Junkers. I've never gotten a console with this much fun stuff to play ever, this is great to me.

I can't imagine this for me considering how many hours I've put into audioshield already. I will always come back to that. All the free stuff is great too. Haven't even touched a lot of them yet. The only thing I've bought is audioshield and I'm satisfied. Can't wait until I can get more stuff like Hover Junkers. I've never gotten a console with this much fun stuff to play ever, this is great to me.

I wish I enjoyed Audioshield. I love rhythm games (probably my favorite genre tbqh), and I spent like four hours in Audioshield trying to like it, but it's not for me. The patterns are too random and feel really detached from the music, at least from what I played. I don't think anyone is wrong about it, I just couldn't get into it because of this.

I tried Hover Junkers. It's fine? I dunno, that's kind of how I've felt about most Vive games. Hover Junkers is awesome, for about two hours. Vanishing Realms is insane, for about two hours. The Lab is absolutely life changing, for about two hours. Every VR experience I've had ranges from "great" to "this is the coolest thing I've ever experienced with a videogame", which is pretty amazing. I love my Vive, and I love VR. But there's so little content, and all of it is barely breaking past tech demo length.

I've thrown like $240 at games since I got my Vive, and I don't necessarily regret it, but these 90 minute experiences are consistently making me want more despite not having more to offer.

Man I hope one of my wand things isn't busted. Just opened the box and the right part of the circle pad on one of the controllers doesn't click down satisfyingly like the other controller does. It clicks but it feels like it's kinda stuck down. Just what I want to find after paying close to a grand on all this stuff. Hopefully it isn't totally busted. Now I got to decided whether or not to contact support to send back the controller.

After having mine for a couple weeks I just noticed that one of my controllers is like this too. I'm not sure if it just started or it's always been like this, but I'll probably wait until I'm a little burnt out on the current offerings then I'll setup an RMA.

TheRed

I wish I enjoyed Audioshield. I love rhythm games (probably my favorite genre tbqh), and I spent like four hours in Audioshield trying to like it, but it's not for me. The patterns are too random and feel really detached from the music, at least from what I played. I don't think anyone is wrong about it, I just couldn't get into it because of this.

I tried Hover Junkers. It's fine? I dunno, that's kind of how I've felt about most Vive games. Hover Junkers is awesome, for about two hours. Vanishing Realms is insane, for about two hours. The Lab is absolutely life changing, for about two hours. Every VR experience I've had ranges from "great" to "this is the coolest thing I've ever experienced with a videogame", which is pretty amazing. I love my Vive, and I love VR. But there's so little content, and all of it is barely breaking past tech demo length.

I've thrown like $240 at games since I got my Vive, and I don't necessarily regret it, but these 90 minute experiences are consistently making me want more despite not having more to offer.
Hmm yeah guess I'm more satisfied cuz I have the Rift for playing Elite and Chronos, I enjoy EVE Valkyrie too even though a lot of people are down on it.

Exuro

Definitely send it back. A quarter of one of my touchpads doesn't click at all. It literally makes it impossible to make a blue balloon in the tutorial. Right now most games seem to use the touchpad as a single button so it took a while to notice, but when that changes and more games split up the pads then your controller is literally not going to work for those titles. I've already got my labels to ship both back(the other controller has a deadzone when clicking) and I'm going to ship them out on the weekend.

I've barely cracked 10k myself but I'm starting to get better with that charge shot. What's sad is that my space is as big as that guy's too haha.

I'm just now getting to do 9-11k consistently, but I use single shot and not charge shot. Guess I have to switch if I want to break into the big leagues.

Justin

Started having problems this evening. There are times where in steam VR the controller will just fly from my hand into the background. Then I was playing Holopoint and the world kind of just flew away. I was thinking it was the lighthouses but nothing is touching them and they are mounted in the wall. When u take the headset off the computer is flashing that steam lost tracking on the headset.

Started having problems this evening. There are times where in steam VR the controller will just fly from my hand into the background. Then I was playing Holopoint and the world kind of just flew away. I was thinking it was the lighthouses but nothing is touching them and they are mounted in the wall. When u take the headset off the computer is flashing that steam lost tracking on the headset.

If you have the camera activated, try to reduce frame rate to 45 or 30.

Mazre

So I can't get my headset to connect, error 208. I've been through all the listed troubleshooting steps but am having no luck. Anyone have experience solving this?

Definitely send it back. A quarter of one of my touchpads doesn't click at all. It literally makes it impossible to make a blue balloon in the tutorial. Right now most games seem to use the touchpad as a single button so it took a while to notice, but when that changes and more games split up the pads then your controller is literally not going to work for those titles. I've already got my labels to ship both back(the other controller has a deadzone when clicking) and I'm going to ship them out on the weekend.

Doing some googling it seems this problem has been around since the vive-pre days

DVI has no specifications for carrying an audio feed, but then looking at Wikipedia I see "Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series).". So it may end up working for him. I hate relying on non-standard implementations of specs though.

Note that, according to this Nvidia support article, "newer cards" send audio over DVI, while older ones do not - and this article is from 2010. Given that no pre-2010 GPU is likely to be used in a Vive setup... it's a pretty safe bet that DVI -> HDMI with audio will work.

I will say that I had no idea that this was a thing until hooking up my Rift, using my 980ti's HDMI for the HMD, and a DVI -> HDMI adapter to my receiver...and got 5.1 sound with no setup needed. I thought I was imagining things.

Scapegoat

So I can't get my headset to connect, error 208. I've been through all the listed troubleshooting steps but am having no luck. Anyone have experience solving this?

Tried rebooting PC and disconnecting/plugging headset back into breakout box?

UnrealEck

Got a Vive today. Delivered at night, so I didn't get a lot of time with it. This was my first time ever using VR. I've never even used cardboard or Virtual Boy.

Everything went really smoothly. I mean it took very little time to get going. Maybe 10-15 mins after the base stations were mounted. No problems with any of the hardware either. I've only seen a minor bug when exiting games a certain way.

My only complaint I have really is the headset itself. I find myself fidgeting with it almost constantly for a while until I get it sitting right.
The visual clarity and quality is fine. Great even I'd say for what I expected. More than enough to be immersed. The sweet spot is a little small though I guess. But that's only really an issue with things like reading a bunch or desktop. In games it's not really an issue.

The earbuds are pretty good. I read they were good and I agree.

Now I'm trying to install the bluetooth drivers to allow control of the lighthouses but the driver seems to be failing to install and just looping infinitely.
I guess that means I need to switch them off manually all the time, right?

Starviper

What did you do as far as contacting their support team? I wrote an email about mine, have the exact same issue with one of the controllers where the top-right area doesn't click unless you move your thumb inward. Haven't heard anything back.

The earbuds are pretty good. I read they were good and I agree.

Earbuds??? I didn't see any in my box.

kenmid

What are the best headphones I can buy for around $100 or what headphones is everyone using? And yes I know it comes with earbuds I just want get the best possible solution.

What are the best headphones I can buy for around $100 or what headphones is everyone using? And yes I know it comes with earbuds I just want get the best possible solution.

The neatest solution I have seen is the porta pros with magnets. Kind of emulates what the oculus headphones are like.

UnrealEck

I don't know about $100 but if I didn't have the ones I have now, I'd try the Sennheiser HD598. They're light, comfortable and have excellent positional audio and spacial sound.

Zalusithix

I have 15 different games to try in VR, yet both evenings have ended up with me doing one thing and then going to Audioshield for the rest of the night. I'm rather surprised at this since I was skeptical about that game going by videos. It's a pity that the file browser sucks in it.

Korezo

Any racing game with full vive support? Racing is what I'm most excited for since I have a wheel/cockpit setup. I hope atbleast eurotruck has support.

Starviper

Lmao, just realized it came with earbuds here aswell.

Yeah I could have sworn I got everything out of that box, but it's possible I overlooked a bag - there was a LOT in there lol

Any racing game with full vive support? Racing is what I'm most excited for since I have a wheel/cockpit setup. I hope atbleast eurotruck has support.

I think the truck sims are the only "racing" game with proper Vive support currently.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

ATS and ETS do have support. However, it is far from optimal. I do really enjoy the games in VR but the reality is their performance is pretty poor. The support just isn't there yet.

Live For Speed is going to be your best bet at the moment. It does have a demo and runs pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom