• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wowwwwww Elite Dangerous in Vive is remarkable. My mouth was wide open for several minutes and I literally gasped several times as I flew around stars and planets.

I bumped up all the settings to max with 4k resolution. I'll mess around with supersampling next to see what else I can improve.

Alright friends, my Vive is finally arriving early next week. What games are the must buys?

Vanishing Realms. One of the best experiences I've had with the Vive so far, but it's definitely short.

People in here swear by Audioshield, Holpoint, Space Pirate Trainer and to a lesser extent, Hover Junkers. They're all really fun and I could definitely recommend any, but the lack of content is real. I think Audioshield probably has the most replayability out of all of them, although Hover Junkers will probably have more content in the next few months. How much you enjoy Holopoint and SPT is intrinsically tied to how quickly you get tired with shooting gallery experiences.

If you like Adventure Time, I think Magic Man's Head Games is worth the $6. It's about 40 minutes and seated, although you can get up and walk around your playspace if you want to.

Edit: This is free so I forgot to mention it, but I think The Lab is the best thing I've played in my Vive. It looks amazing, the writing is impeccable, and each experience offers something entirely unique. It's a shame it's so short, but I cant' wait to see what else Valve is working on in VR. Budget Cuts is also amazing for a demo.

The Minecraft mod is amazing. The only reason I'm not playing it right now is because I've already put in a few thousands hours of Minecraft over the past five years, and even with VR it's hard to go back. That said, it made Minecraft feel fresh for another 15 hours, which is amazing to me.

I also really enjoyed The Blu. It's expensive for what it is, but it looks great. Incredibly immersive experience, and you can try the whale segment for free in Wevr Transport. There's also a demo for some space experience, which is fairly mindblowing for the 10 minutes it lasts. Great stuff.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Got damn this thing is amazing.

Interesting experience though, tried to demo theBlu whale experience to a friend, and she instantly wanted to take the headset off and said she felt sick. Which I found odd for a room scale experience. Maybe she just didn't understand the feeling? I didn't prep her much, just said, "hey, put this on".

Got damn this thing is amazing.

Interesting experience though, tried to demo theBlu whale experience to a friend, and she instantly wanted to take the headset off and said she felt sick. Which I found odd for a room scale experience. Maybe she just didn't understand the feeling? I didn't prep her much, just said, "hey, put this on".

This is going to sound fairly shitty of me, but this happened to two people I demoed it to because my roommate put up posters in my Vive room. I had showed about 20 people at that point and put a solid 20 hours of VR time into it personally, and no one had ever had any issues with nausea. As it turns out, having four theater sized glass posters on the walls messes up the Vive tracking, and I hadn't used it since they had been put up. It was still useable, but not comfortable for more than a few minutes.

Anyway, TL;DR of that is something might have gone wrong for them just in that moment.

Randdalf

Lmao, just realized it came with earbuds here aswell.

I've been using my wireless Corsair headset which works great. I couldn't actually figure out which ear the headphones go in so I gave up on those for now.

--

In terms of the games I've played, Job Simulator and Audioshield are the two that have really impressed me so far. For a game that looks incredibly boring and simple on a screen, Audioshield is surprisingly intense and fun. Every time I entered a new scene in Job Simulator I was asked. The thrill of being teleported to a new and unknown virtual space is a feeling I didn't expect.

I enjoyed what I played of Fantastic Contraption too, but it did leave me feeling a little weird afterwards.

I have a problem where I'm not allowed to mount my lighthouses, so I had to put them on top of mantelpiece and bookshelf, which worked fine for most of the VR space, but rendered one quarter of the space completely untrackable, and thus JS and FC completely unplayable in some areas. I've ordered some cheap clamps and ceiling props to mount them on, but for now I'm going to try out some seated VR stuff.

Also, last night, I can't tell if it was because I was tired or not, but I felt really quite odd for a while, as if my eyes were still adjusted to being in the headset. It was a liitle hard to look at a computer screen for a while. I might be more stringent on session length in the future.

"I've been using my wireless Corsair headset which works great. I couldn't actually figure out which ear the headphones go in so I gave up on those for now."

The earbuds? They're not symmetrical in shape, the part that goes in your ear is offset from the rest of the housing. The bulky part of the earbud should be oriented towards the back of your head.

Randdalf

"I've been using my wireless Corsair headset which works great. I couldn't actually figure out which ear the headphones go in so I gave up on those for now."

The earbuds? They're not symmetrical in shape, the part that goes in your ear is offset from the rest of the housing. The bulky part of the earbud should be oriented towards the back of your head.

Right, I was a little impatient after a painful time setting it up, so I didn't spend much time thinking about it.

Hey guys, need a bit of help.

Here's a pic of my room showing my Lighthouse setup.

I've been experiencing tracking issues, namely small stutters and jumps to the left or right during play. It generally works, but if I speed up my movement it's unplayable. I'm also suffering pretty bad from sim sickness (even in the tutorial and Tilt Brush), so much that I need to take Dramamine before I play, and I suspect this is the cause. Could the right one be reflecting off the light (I turn off when I play) Are they too far apart? I can still play so I don't think it's a problem, but I can't get rid of these stutters.

System is 3.4, GTX 970 4 gig, 16 gig, Win 7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TheRed

Audioshield and Holopoint are my favorite games so far. I need to get Space Pirate Traininer as it seems like it'll give the same type of enjoyment. I'm gonna refund Hover Junkers as I didn't really have much fun in it and it costs more than holopoint and audioshield together and I've gotten 10 hours out of those so far.

Starviper

I've been experiencing tracking issues, namely small stutters and jumps to the left or right during play. It generally works, but if I speed up my movement it's unplayable. I'm also suffering pretty bad from sim sickness (even in the tutorial and Tilt Brush), so much that I need to take Dramamine before I play, and I suspect this is the cause. Could the right one be reflecting off the light (I turn off when I play) Are they too far apart? I can still play so I don't think it's a problem, but I can't get rid of these stutters.

System is 3.4, GTX 970 4 gig, 16 gig, Win 7. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't really see anything obviously wrong with your room setup. I'd suggest moving the sensors so that they're maybe a bit closer to the space you're moving around in - looks like one is farther out than the other? Could try having them exactly opposite from each other, and additionally make sure they're angled down ~30 degrees.

For my setup I placed my sensors in the corners of the room so they're diagonal across the center to each other. Haven't had any problems with tracking beyond the lighthouse units both going out once in awhile and needing a reboot.

EDIT: Looking at it again, it looks like your units aren't even angled to face each other which would explain a lot.

Waikis

The lighthouse unit on the left should be pointing to the right and your play are should be in the middle of the lighthouses.

Mirrors are the worst....can't see any there, but do the pictures on the wall have glass covers that could be reflective? This could cause problems.

I'm going to try to move the lighthouse on the right and mount it ontop of the brown bookcase pointing down. I didn't know the lighthouses needed to be facing each other head on, just in the general direction with a clear line of sight which mine have (hard to see in the pic). Anyway, I've just ordered some tripods so I can put one near the door and the other in the lower right of the picture at 9ft high, both 45 degrees down. I can't get the mount out of the wall on the right, power drills are just stripping the screw. It's loose as is, and now won't budge. I can only remove the lighthouse and use tape I suppose, or use the tripods that come with threads. This is a pain in the ass.

Every game I play stutters and jumps around like crazy, some more than others (Vanishing Realms is especially bad). Not just because of sim sickness, I can't play like this.

Tadie

I'm going to try to move the lighthouse on the right and mount it ontop of the brown bookcase pointing down. I didn't know the lighthouses needed to be facing each other head on, just in the general direction with a clear line of sight which mine have (hard to see in the pic). Anyway, I've just ordered some tripods so I can put one near the door and the other in the lower right of the picture at 9ft high, both 45 degrees down. I can't get the mount out of the wall on the right, power drills are just stripping the screw. It's loose as is, and now won't budge. I can only remove the lighthouse and use tape I suppose, or use the tripods that come with threads. This is a pain in the ass.

Every game I play stutters and jumps around like crazy, some more than others (Vanishing Realms is especially bad). Not just because of sim sickness, I can't play like this.

Do you use SteamVR Beta?

I would recommend you to go back to the stable version.

The beta was totally broken for me.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The lack of content is going to kill this thing. I'm worried those headsets will be collecting dust in 3-6 months. Very frustrating.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's interesting how the gaming taste changes the perspective. I didn't even have time to play everything that I got for it yet.

Or maybe I just have less free time for gaming.

Waikis

Where exactly is your play area? in the middle of the bookcase and the green thing on the left?
You essentially need one lighthouse in front of you and another one behind you. That way the lighthouses can still keep track of you where ever you turn to.

With the current setup, you basically only have front facing tracking and it will cause issue if you turn around as the lighthouses are behind your headset.

UnrealEck

I think I had minor issues getting the LH to see my controllers/headset a couple of times. But it was because I hadn't positioned them facing downwards more. I'd reccommend messing with the angle of them a little if you haven't already and checking to see if it improves the tracking.

I envy those with large spaces to play in. Mines is tiny. Setup configures mine as the smallest space (the minimum 2x1.5m) even though the space is a touch bigger.

I think I had minor issues getting the LH to see my controllers/headset a couple of times. But it was because I hadn't positioned them facing downwards more. I'd reccommend messing with the angle of them a little if you haven't already and checking to see if it improves the tracking.

I envy those with large spaces to play in. Mines is tiny. Setup configures mine as the smallest space (the minimum 2x1.5m) even though the space is a touch bigger.

My case exactly.

Also, my bedroom floor is polished granite, im afraid its messing with the tracking sometimes :(

sk3tch

Video Question:

I have my breakout box connected to my PC via DisplayPort - on the orange side, the HDMI (and other two cables) goes to the Vive headset. Do I take the HDMI connection from the non-orange side and run it to my TV if I want to mirror what is shown in the headset (obviously in 2D)? Or is this something done separate from the breakout box altogether? Just wanting to create a better "shared" experience for those not in the headset...online docs (https://support.steampowered.com/steamvr/HTC_Vive/) don't cover it at all...or the FAQ.

I made my bed part of the room scale area. Makes laying down and relaxing in virtual environments comfortable. I wish Valve would add more environments to The Lab.

Bought SelfieTennis in the sale and still think I paid about $10 too much. Extremely bare bones.

I made my bed part of the room scale area. Makes laying down and relaxing in virtual environments comfortable.

Relaxing?

vr.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Video Question:

I have my breakout box connected to my PC via DisplayPort - on the orange side, the HDMI (and other two cables) goes to the Vive headset. Do I take the HDMI connection from the non-orange side and run it to my TV if I want to mirror what is shown in the headset (obviously in 2D)? Or is this something done separate from the breakout box altogether? Just wanting to create a better "shared" experience for those not in the headset...online docs (https://support.steampowered.com/steamvr/HTC_Vive/) don't cover it at all...or the FAQ.

separate. The HDMI/DP port on the breakout box is just so you have a choice of how to connect your headset. You connect to your PC monitor separately as normal and the same if you want to connect to a TV.

Helznicht

Wowwwwww Elite Dangerous in Vive is remarkable. My mouth was wide open for several minutes and I literally gasped several times as I flew around stars and planets.

I bumped up all the settings to max with 4k resolution. I'll mess around with supersampling next to see what else I can improve.

Whats your rig? I have a 970 and a 1080p monitor. I was less than impressed with visuals outside my ship, but I cant run it 4k either. But I tried 1080p with 1.5x supersampling and with 2x SS. 1.5 didnt make a difference to me, but 2x cleaned up a lot of shimmering outside your ship. Of course, 1080 X 2SS = Slideshow on a 970.

Mazre

Day 2 of HMD woes (error 208):

Verified my PC HDMI port and cable by connecting to TV, instantly had mirrored display up so that checks out. I get audio through the usb (I'm assuming, had a youtube video providing audio over the HMD headphone jack), and all the USB stuff goes from gray to white when refreshed in SteamVR. LED is solid red on the HMD. Verified all connections at the HMD are well connected, unconnected and reconnected all of them. Have removed all the drivers multiple times, multiple restart, attempted custom configuration for display resolution. Attempted to switch from mirror'd to extended display but the HMD display doesn't even show up in nVidia control panel.

Now I descend into the hellish realm of Steam Support, do not weep for me, I am already dead.

Onemic

How does the game look like when you peer out into space?

Helznicht

anybody know how to get the menu helmut in Fantastic Contraption? My daughter played it and now its at an advanced level and I want to go back to the beginning, but cant for the life of me figure out how to get to the menu's

sk3tch

separate. The HDMI/DP port on the breakout box is just so you have a choice of how to connect your headset. You connect to your PC monitor separately as normal and the same if you want to connect to a TV.

Thanks! That makes sense. "Duh" to me now that I think of it. :)

I wonder if I can take advantage of the Steam Link? Unlikely today because you go into Steam VR to play VR and Big Picture is separate. Hopefully they support it in the future. I'm not too worried about maximum fidelity for those that are watching what's happening in the VR headset on a TV screen.

MaDKaT

Finally got setup last night. Needed to make some wall mounts that could hang on the smallest, single nail frame hook.

vive wall mount

Previously only tried a DK1 briefly but my girlfriend and I spent several hours last night with the Vive and it was absolutely amazing. Even just running through the initial setup was stellar. I played mostly SPT and Holopoint, she was all about Job Simulator. The Blu was pretty cool and the 3rd episode/act/scenario was quite unnerving.

Only issues I currently have.
- My 390 may not last as long as I would like so an upgrade may be sooner rather than later. (so far just stuttering with The Blu)
- Need to figure out something for the head straps. Not so bad for me but my gf has a much smaller head and is at the lower limits of the the top strap. Im thinking something similar to whats on my welders mask.
-Damn that cable! Games like Holopoint have you turning a lot and I need to step out of the wrap a lot.

Not really having an issue with the 'sweet spot' or SDE even in desktop mode. Was worried it was going to be an issue reading some comments and Im glad that I mostly just forget about it.

Today at work is going to be a long day. Really just want to get home and try other things. Install revive, set up project cars or something.

Really want to finish work and try some more.

How does the game look like when you peer out into space?

The galaxy map and the textures for the stars and planets could be improved.

Whats your rig? I have a 970 and a 1080p monitor. I was less than impressed with visuals outside my ship, but I cant run it 4k either. But I tried 1080p with 1.5x supersampling and with 2x SS. 1.5 didnt make a difference to me, but 2x cleaned up a lot of shimmering outside your ship. Of course, 1080 X 2SS = Slideshow on a 970.

I have two Titan Xs (although I wasn't running SLI at the time) and an i5 3570k with a 4K monitor.

Admittedly the game doesn't look fantastic outside my ship, but the presence was stunning.

elyetis

The galaxy map and the textures for the stars and planets could be improved.

I have two Titan Xs (although I wasn't running SLI at the time) and an i5 3570k with a 4K monitor.

Admittedly the game doesn't look fantastic outside my ship, but the presence was stunning.
Usually people first reaction when I make them try Elite Dangerous in VR/DK2 ( friends who already play the game ) is "Wow my ship is huge". The sense of scale is really something else in VR.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
- Need to figure out something for the head straps. Not so bad for me but my gf has a much smaller head and is at the lower limits of the the top strap. Im thinking something similar to whats on my welders mask.

Have you tried using the other foam (the one for narrow face) that's in the box?

SimplexPL

Is Win7 perfectly fine for VR, or is Win10 better? I know that Virtual Desktop works better in Win10, but is there anything else I should be aware of?

SimplexPL

I know that much, but Win7 remains officially supported by both headsets, that's why I'm asking about actual "scientific" reason for using Win10 over Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom