• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that much, but Win7 remains officially supported by both headsets, that's why I'm asking about actual "scientific" reason for using Win10 over Win7.

IIRC, theres optimizations for lower lag with HMDs in Win10. Somthing that Oculus worked with Microsoft to develop.

kaskade

Well, I gave my girlfriend the first taste of it. I didn't even tell her I was getting it. She thought google cardboard was a cool little experience so I was thinking this would be a cool surprise. She was blown away. I did the thing that they did at press conferences. She was all set up with the headset on and I turned the controllers on (behind her). So then I was like just reach out and grab them when you see them. The fact that you can just grab them exactly where they are in real life just based off the VR view is crazy. It feels very Jedi.

I just had her play with some stuff in the lab, once I get it set up in the basement and we can show some real room scale stuff I think it's going to be even better. Tonight I'm going to have my grandparents try it out. I'm going to download the Blu since that seems like just a good experience to demo.

I still need to try out the Budget Cuts demo too.

Onemic

The galaxy map and the textures for the stars and planets could be improved.

I have two Titan Xs (although I wasn't running SLI at the time) and an i5 3570k with a 4K monitor.

Admittedly the game doesn't look fantastic outside my ship, but the presence was stunning.

Does the resolution of your monitor matter for VR?

UnrealEck

It's amazing.
Throwing the knives seems a little iffy but it's still really cool.
The fact that you can just grab them exactly where they are in real life just based off the VR view is crazy. It feels very Jedi.

One of the things that stunned me was just how amazing the controllers look and act (1to1 mapping with no latency) in VR. It's literally just like you're looking at them outside of VR.

kaskade

It's amazing.
Throwing the knives seems a little iffy but it's still really cool.

One of the things that stunned me was just how amazing the controllers look and act (1to1 mapping with no latency) in VR. It's literally just like you're looking at them outside of VR.

Throwing stuff in general felt cool, especially in job simulator.

I was actually getting some frame drops in job simulator. More so than anything else. I think that's just unity though since the lab ran like butter even with the robot repair. Id imagine that was pretty taxing with the parts exploded.

The mapped controllers are awesome. Even the USB ports are modeled. I want to try plugging them in while in vr since it's such a small port. Also displaying the battery indicators in vr but not the real world is awesome.

Ended up downloading the blu and space pirate trainer before work to play later tonight. I can't wait to jump back in.

No, seriously, fuck Digital River. How on earth is it justifiable to charge me the almost €1000 if they have no intention of shipping within the 10 day window?

For context, the money they had charged me on the 26th were returned to my account since 10 days passed.

/rant

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, seriously, fuck Digital River. How on earth is it justifiable to charge me the almost €1000 if they have no intention of shipping within the 10 day window?

For context, the money they had charged me on the 26th were returned to my account since 10 days passed.

/rant

That was just the pre-authorisation on the card and this happened to a lot of people. Shipping should follow soon, before they make the actual charge. That's the pattern that we saw for a lot of people.

SimplexPL

I can confirm - I was "pre charged" on the 26th of April, few days ago the charge dropped and today I got shipping notification email (delivery on Monday).

KScorp

/rant

They do this part kind of strangely. They do an initial charge (which for a lot of people was on the 26th) just to check if the card exists, and to check if it will be approved. If they run into problems here, they will email you and tell you to sort it out. If the charge is approved, then everything is OK, and this charge will eventually disappear. Money should never be removed from your account at this point.

They don't actually charge you until the product ships. Some people have actually received their Vive before being charged. I was charged about 12 hours after getting a tracking number.

That was just the pre-authorisation on the card and this happened to a lot of people. Shipping should follow soon, before they make the actual charge. That's the pattern that we saw for a lot of people.

I know, but it is still shitty to do a pre-auth of such a large amount of money. I really don't see the need.

Bought Hover Junkers and was not expecting much because another title was over hyped in this thread but I was pleasantly surprised. The navigation controls and shooting mechanics are really well done, and most importantly the game is fun.

I have the absolute minimum amount of space for room scale and it worked perfectly for this game. I was ducking, diving, shooting, steering all the same time and it was intuitive. I had some guy join me on my ship, and at first it was a little uneasy feeling because you're sharing a virtual space with someone is just odd, but once we got rolling it was an awesome experience. I've never sweat that much playing a video game before and I am in decent shape.

So after a few days figured I'd type up some quick things

Setup: mostly painless, I ended up knocking out a small shelf next to my front door I used to use for keys to buy a few more inches. Managed a 2.1 x 2.3 space. I drilled the mounts for the lighthouses into the wall. Only issue I'm having is getting the bluetooth for them working. I dont want to have to unplug them every time

Tutorial: Really well done, the first time I spawned balloons and smacked them into each other I legit smiled, and couldnt believe I did.

The Lab:
  • Solar System: Pointless
  • Mountain Thing: Mostly pointless, though looking over the edge was cool
  • Secret Shop: First that I consider a neat experience, completely novel, but it was cool shining the light at the little creature and having him follow it, then teleporting onto the shelves and being all small n shit
  • Robot Repair: Pretty underwhelming, only thing that really stood out was the exploded view
  • Arcade Game: First experience with shooting and dodging. Really fun. Aiming was simplified a bit too much with the laser pointers, but overall with the dodging I was enjoying it
  • Archery Range: Easily the best part of the lab. Its just so much fun. The draw, the feed back, everything is just awesome. That first time you lean over to shoot down at one thats below you is just a wow feeling.

Space Pirate Trainer:
Definitely fun, swapping gun modes takes some getting used to and I was still getting used to the aiming. Overall it was like a more fun version of the arcade game from the lab

Audioshield:
Right now this is my favorite game. This might be the most intuitive gameplay ever created. I started playing on "Harder" basically immediately and just having a great time. Wish it was able to goto network drives by default. Ah well, mapped my network drive and problem solved.

Fantastic Contraption:
Moving and placing objects in 3D is just absurdly easy, which makes a relatively simple game a lot more fun than it otherwise would be. I dont see myself putting a lot of time into this, but its still fun.

Budget Cuts Demo:
This was the least intuitive of all the games I've played, however the benefit is that its the first showing of what a more complex VR experience can be.The teleporter felt wonkey to look through at first, and I ended up standing in a wall a few times, however once I got used to moving in my space before teleporting, as well as holding up the controller and turning my wrist to look through it it became smooth. Couple with the great inventory and throwing mechanics it was super fun. The first time you look around a wall to see if there is an enemy..a wall that you know isnt really there...so cool. I'm really looking forward to the full game.

Overall I'm psyched with the vive. My one worry is devs struggling, due to cost or difficulty, to create more complete experiences. Budget cuts proves its possible, but I would like to see games without using the teleport mechanic as a crutch. Maybe movement using one controller as an analog stick while also reading roomscale movement.

Anyone else feel like VR and the Vive has killed any interest in non VR gaming? Maybe its just a phase but I have no interest in playing The Division or any other game that isn't VR related at the moment.

/rant

I know, but it is still shitty to do a pre-auth of such a large amount of money. I really don't see the need.

Da-fuk? I don't understand why people who don't understand how the world works get upset because of their own lack of knowledge. Seriously look up how pre-auths work it's not rocket science and this isn't bankingaf.

Anyone else feel like VR and the Vive has killed any interest in non VR gaming? Maybe its just a phase but I have no interest in playing The Division or any other game that isn't VR related at the moment.

I like vr better but at the end of the day as it stands right now much deeper experiences are to be had with traditional methods.

sk3tch

I like vr better but at the end of the day as it stands right now much deeper experiences are to be had with traditional methods.

Same. Still going back to huge time sucks like ARK, personally. :) Also - nothing beats a quality MP FPS game...and the fidelity in VR is not that great so I still enjoy the wow factor outside of the VR space (even if its less wow now that I have experienced VR).

My faulty Lighthouse is official faulty. HTC are sending a courier round to collect, once they get it, they'll send a new one. 5-10 day turnaround apparently.

For the record, the LH should have 17 red lights. 15 in a cluster, then two single ones. One of those was not lit.

Despite was HTC support told me though, I've been able to still play with one LH by setting it to channel A. SteamVR then shows one LH as green, and I can launch games and play as well as I have been able to up until this point.

Looking forward to getting 2 LH up and seeing if it improves tracking.

Well, I gave my girlfriend the first taste of it. I didn't even tell her I was getting it. She thought google cardboard was a cool little experience so I was thinking this would be a cool surprise. She was blown away. I did the thing that they did at press conferences. She was all set up with the headset on and I turned the controllers on (behind her). So then I was like just reach out and grab them when you see them. The fact that you can just grab them exactly where they are in real life just based off the VR view is crazy. It feels very Jedi.

I just had her play with some stuff in the lab, once I get it set up in the basement and we can show some real room scale stuff I think it's going to be even better. Tonight I'm going to have my grandparents try it out. I'm going to download the Blu since that seems like just a good experience to demo.

Introduced my wife to it yesterday. She loves it, and she was really sceptical of it before. She drew some stuff in tilt brish, played Brookhaven experiment, the lab, and now she's playing fantastic contraption

Definitely. I have Uncharted 4 preordered and it's getting great reviews...but I'm just not looking forward to it at all. I almost feel obligated to get it because it's the kind of game that used to interest me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My faulty Lighthouse is official faulty. HTC are sending a courier round to collect, once they get it, they'll send a new one. 5-10 day turnaround apparently.

For the record, the LH should have 17 red lights. 15 in a cluster, then two single ones. One of those was not lit.

Despite was HTC support told me though, I've been able to still play with one LH by setting it to channel A. SteamVR then shows one LH as green, and I can launch games and play as well as I have been able to up until this point.

Looking forward to getting 2 LH up and seeing if it improves tracking.

Yeah you can play seated stuff just fine with one LH set to A. It basically becomes a Rift.

UnrealEck

Any tips? I can't throw those knives for shit.

No, I suck at it big time. I guess maybe a 'tip' but get in close. Get within like 6 or 7 feet of the target.

I was actually getting some frame drops in job simulator. More so than anything else. I think that's just unity though since the lab ran like butter even with the robot repair. Id imagine that was pretty taxing with the parts exploded.

What kind of CPU and GPU are you using? I think I saw you say a GTX 970 earlier.
The Lab looks incredible. I was surprised how good it looks in VR compared to just seeing it on a monitor. The detail on things is so good.
By the way speaking of controller models in VR, do you know how to change the model of them in the SteamVR interface? I subscribed to a couple of ones made by that Brad guy. Portal controllers and cameras but I can't find where to set them. I only found how to change the backgrounds.

Not really for me. I'm still interested in going back to regular games now and again.
I still think VR games need time to mature into 'proper' games. Right now they feel like bite-size experiments and experiences.

I think the limitations of room size and locomotion are a problem for personal home VR. I hope it doesn't stop big-name developers from exploring though. Right now the only name in VR games I recognise is Crytek.

kaskade

What kind of CPU and GPU are you using? I think I saw you say a GTX 970 earlier.
The Lab looks incredible. I was surprised how good it looks in VR compared to just seeing it on a monitor. The detail on things is so good.
By the way speaking of controller models in VR, do you know how to change the model of them in the SteamVR interface? I subscribed to a couple of ones made by that Brad guy. Portal controllers and cameras but I can't find where to set them. I only found how to change the backgrounds.

I have a 970 and a 3570k OC to 4.2 GHz. I could probably crank it to 4.4 without much issue if it seems CPU bound.

I never dove into OC my GPU since I never needed too. I'll see how these new Nvidia cards are since I can do the step up program. Or if it's soon enough I could probably just exchange it on amazon.

Sky Chief

I haven't played a traditional game since I got my Vive a month ago. Honestly, traditional gaming had started to bore the hell out of me. However, I've been waiting for Uncharted 4 for years so I'll give that a go next week. Room scale VR is just such a fresh revelation. Even seated VR bores me incredibly.

I can verify that this has happened to me as well...

I can second this. Even seated experiences are making me question my level of interest.

I need to sit down and finish Dark Souls 3 at some point, I was on the last boss a week ago. I also forced myself to download the Overwatch beta, because I'm sure I'll love that game. But all I want to do is VR.

Dex815

How performance heavy is the theater mode? I tried DS3 and as soon as I get into the game (after the menu), it misses frames to an unplayable point. Same with DS2 but to a lesser degree.

I am on a GTX 770 4Gb so probably that is not enough at all but I am doubting that even a GTX 980 can hold 50-60 fps in DS3 and 90 fps in the theater scene.

MaDKaT

I can't fully say it has killed my interest for traditional gaming as, to be honest, my interest has be waning for years. However for the first time in a long time, Im looking forward to getting out of work and playing some games. Didnt even have that feeling when I picked up the PS4 at launch or built my new PC a few months ago.

artsi

I'm just waiting for more interesting VR content.. haven't used my Vive for a while now.

I'm just waiting for more interesting VR content.. haven't used my Vive for a while now.
this is what I'm worried about. I'm a person that highly values story in a game. Will i ever get anything satisfying on Vive? Maybe as a sit down experience but that would be wholly underwhelming. PSVR and Rift are completely uninteresting as standard controllers immediately kill everything impressive about VR

UnrealEck

How performance heavy is the theater mode? I tried DS3 and as soon as I get into the game (after the menu), it misses frames to an unplayable point. Same with DS2 but to a lesser degree.

I am on a GTX 770 4Gb so probably that is not enough at all but I am doubting that even a GTX 980 can hold 50-60 fps in DS3 and 90 fps in the theater scene.

I tried Dark Souls 3 in theatre mode briefly and it looked like it was running at 30 FPS in the headset. But on my monitor it was 60.

Where do I find theatre mode?

Also I was browsing the web using the controllers and headset last night through the steam dashboard but couldn't figure out how to click a link. Any help?

Helznicht

Yeah, after two weeks with this thing (and two years with the DK1 and DK2) I can indeed safely say it's not just you. I knew the resolution wasn't going to be all that, but considering this is a CV the image quality overall is borderlining shocking to me. Elite Dangerous is just one symptom of the sorry state of affairs. Not the least the sweet spot is a lot narrower than I could ever imagine (why did the press at pre-launch tell us how wonderfully better it was..). The lens artifacts themselves are so bad that I suspect that that current solution VR technology as it is today isn't going to survive for many years to come. Considering that we're trying to move form factor to a better place at the same time, putting in larger and wider displays and lenses to mitigate fucked up IQ isn't going to cut it either.

Disclaimer: I've been having tons of fun with roomscale and will continue to have fun with the Vive despite IQ problems.

I had no experience with VR until my Vive, had it for 3 days now. I don't come away with it feeling anywhere near that bad. Actually, I think the clarity is exceptional, much better than I feared.

Clarity: Yep its a bit blurry, but I typically wear reading glasses. I tried it with my 1.25x's and the image was noticeably clearer. But I like the lenses closer to my eyes to increase the FOV so I roll without. When I get close to things (like the AI Cores in the Lab and hold them up to my face, I dont see pixels, the item is not blurry at all, looks tangible and is anything but blurry/pixelated.,

Elite Dangerous: Cockpit looks great to me, very immersive, just lean a little to get monitor texts legible. But its pixel soup in the distance. But ED lets you turn up the Super Sampling to 2x1080p (to around 4k). The image in the distance is MUCH improved. Yes its softer than a monitor (probally be better with my readers on), but it is still very pleasant to me. Unfortunately I cannot run ED on my rig at 4k @ 90fps, so its a non-starter. But it does tell me I can get better image quality on the existing headset by improving my PC graphics capability.

Overall I think they made the right quality/cost choices.

Onemic

I had no experience with VR until my Vive, had it for 3 days now. I don't come away with it feeling anywhere near that bad. Actually, I think the clarity is exceptional, much better than I feared.

Clarity: Yep its a bit blurry, but I typically wear reading glasses. I tried it with my 1.25x's and the image was noticeably clearer. But I like the lenses closer to my eyes to increase the FOV so I roll without. When I get close to things (like the AI Cores in the Lab and hold them up to my face, I dont see pixels, the item is not blurry at all, looks tangible and is anything but blurry/pixelated.,

Elite Dangerous: Cockpit looks great to me, very immersive, just lean a little to get monitor texts legible. But its pixel soup in the distance. But ED lets you turn up the Super Sampling to 2x1080p (to around 4k). The image in the distance is MUCH improved. Yes its softer than a monitor (probally be better with my readers on), but it is still very pleasant to me. Unfortunately I cannot run ED on my rig at 4k @ 90fps, so its a non-starter. But it does tell me I can get better image quality on the existing headset by improving my PC graphics capability.

Overall I think they made the right quality/cost choices.

What GPU do you have adnd what graphical settings are you using in ED? Do you think it would be possible to get 90FPS with 2x1080P with a 980ti?

Not really for me. I'm still interested in going back to regular games now and again.
I still think VR games need time to mature into 'proper' games. Right now they feel like bite-size experiments and experiences.

I think the limitations of room size and locomotion are a problem for personal home VR. I hope it doesn't stop big-name developers from exploring though. Right now the only name in VR games I recognise is Crytek.

I definitely agree that the VR experiences available now are shallow, glorified tech demos but even then I find myself wanting to engage in these shallow experiences more so than playing traditional games. I too have noticed that my interest in gaming has been on the decline since my late twenties and now into my early thirties. Something about the combination of tech and VR experiences has reinvigorated that sense enjoyment and excitement. Hoping it doesn't go away once VR becomes old hat and mainstream.

Where do I find theatre mode?

Also I was browsing the web using the controllers and headset last night through the steam dashboard but couldn't figure out how to click a link. Any help?

Just go into your library in SteamVR. You'll probably need to turn off the VR filter which is enabled by default and you'll be able to see all of your games. When you launch a non-VR game while in SteamVR it will automatically go into theater mode (and the play button should change to "play in theater" or something).

Sky Chief

this is what I'm worried about. I'm a person that highly values story in a game. Will i ever get anything satisfying on Vive? Maybe as a sit down experience but that would be wholly underwhelming. PSVR and Rift are completely uninteresting as standard controllers immediately kill everything impressive about VR

I think that room scale VR should be especially compelling for story based games. Actually being there and soaking up the atmosphere while people are talking to you and the story is progressing would be amazing.

Yeah you can play seated stuff just fine with one LH set to A. It basically becomes a Rift.

Yes I was very relieved, feared the worse.

I'm now at home playing Audioshield, works OK with one LH. And SPT is OK as well. I'm OK with Roomspace as long as I don't turn too far left.....

Flight Control was horrible fading to grey as I was spinning round. Forward and seated experiences only for the time. A shame, was going to give Minecraft a go this weekend. Guess I'll have a crack on Re-Vive instead.

To echo sentiments here, right now all I want to do is live inside the VR gamespace, I have no interest in regular games as they're muted. Of course, I've had my Vive for 4 days, so it's still a huge novelty item. I've only touched a quarter of my VR game library so far.

Just go into your library in SteamVR. You'll probably need to turn off the VR filter which is enabled by default and you'll be able to see all of your games. When you launch a non-VR game while in SteamVR it will automatically go into theater mode (and the play button should change to "play in theater" or something).

Nice. Thanks

datamage

After finally getting mine and setting it all up.. I can just repeat what everyone in here has already said. Wow. I was expecting it to be pretty damn cool, but it's even better than I imagined. (First VR experience.)

Cannot wait to get home from work to tinker with it some more and see my GF use it for the first time.

SimplexPL

I haven't played a traditional game since I got my Vive a month ago. Honestly, traditional gaming had started to bore the hell out of me. However, I've been waiting for Uncharted 4 for years so I'll give that a go next week. Room scale VR is just such a fresh revelation. Even seated VR bores me incredibly.

In theory it should be possible to play Uncharted 4 in VR in theater mode using the remote play app (but only in 720p)

datamage

The sense of wonder created by being placed into a new world. It's a complete mind-f*ck. After a while you forget it isn't real. I mean, obviously it's not real, but that kinda floats to the back of your head.

I feel uneasy with underwater stuff in games, for instance, just jumping into the water in GTA5 bothers me. Tried TheBlu for about 2 minutes and just decided to nope right out of it. (Will try it again of course.)

Edit: I've only tried the following so far--

The Lab (the shop, defense castle thing, and the arcade, still need to check out the rest.)
TheBlu
Job Simulator (Just the convenience store part.)
Tilt Brush

TheRed

Yep audioshield is the best game I've played in vr
I agree. Give Holopoint a try too, it's my second favorite now, well worth the $8.

Wish I enjoyed Hover Junkers as much as I expected to, the movement felt neat but I just didn't have fun in the shootouts. For $35 I just asked for a refund since I just felt like playing Holopoint. Glad steam has good refund policy now, I'll think about trying Hover Junkers again when it's out of early access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom