• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

Well, I gave my girlfriend the first taste of it. I didn't even tell her I was getting it. She thought google cardboard was a cool little experience so I was thinking this would be a cool surprise. She was blown away. I did the thing that they did at press conferences. She was all set up with the headset on and I turned the controllers on (behind her). So then I was like just reach out and grab them when you see them. The fact that you can just grab them exactly where they are in real life just based off the VR view is crazy. It feels very Jedi.

I just had her play with some stuff in the lab, once I get it set up in the basement and we can show some real room scale stuff I think it's going to be even better. Tonight I'm going to have my grandparents try it out. I'm going to download the Blu since that seems like just a good experience to demo.

I still need to try out the Budget Cuts demo too.

You have to let us know how your grandparents got on!

bj00rn_

Banned
Anyone else feel like VR and the Vive has killed any interest in non VR gaming? Maybe its just a phase but I have no interest in playing The Division or any other game that isn't VR related at the moment.

No. But it has of course eaten into the total amount of time I spend on "games".

The sense of wonder created by being placed into a new world. It's a complete mind-f*ck. After a while you forget it isn't real. I mean, obviously it's not real, but that kinda floats to the back of your head.

I feel uneasy with underwater stuff in games, for instance, just jumping into the water in GTA5 bothers me. Tried TheBlu for about 2 minutes and just decided to nope right out of it. (Will try it again of course.)

Edit: I've only tried the following so far--

The Lab (the shop, defense castle thing, and the arcade, still need to check out the rest.)
TheBlu
Job Simulator (Just the convenience store part.)
Tilt Brush

Get holopoint

dodging the incoming shots from the cubes and turning around to fire at all the different targets and aiming up and down in this big dojo like thing is crazy.

Everytime I'm done I have no idea where I currently am located in my room. I love that it is such a weird feeling that I can't get over

A few more impressions:

GAMES:

Out of Ammo - This is really fun. Even with the low poly graphics, it's still really satisfying sniping and shooting at people. The only issues at the moment are that it's really hectic and hard to keep focus of both commanding and possessing your troops (co-op would go a long way here), and it's extremely light on content right now (it's an early access game). It's hard to say it's worth buying at the moment unless you're really looking for something new (the price isn't that bad) but definitely keep your eyes on this one.

Vertigo (Demo) - This one is interesting. Ultimately It's a sci fi game where you move through levels (by teleporting) and shoot little robots, but there's a little more to it than that and there are some issues that need to be ironed out for the final game. For example, in either hand you can toggle between a gun, a sort of lightsaber/stick, your regular hand, or this quantum rod thing. The problem comes in switching between all of that along with the multi functionality of the quantum rod. You see the rod has three modes that you toggle through by pressing the thumb pad. One slows down time, one sucks up quantum juice that fuels how long you can slow down time, and the third is your actual teleport (ie movement) functionality. So as you can imagine, only being able to move around the room while in one of three modes from one of four things you can possibly have in your hand can get tedious and that's obviously compounded by the heat of the moment of combat. In other words, some simplification and streamlining needs to happen there. Luckily, I've seen the dev mention on Reddit that he's already begun work doing just that so there's hope. I think if he can nail the balance there, this could be really cool.

Job Simulator - I was doubtful about this game before but after playing it, I get the hype. There's just so much interactivity and things to find and play with. Once I started messing with the computer in the office section and realized it had little apps in it (not to mention the games on CD hidden around) I was kind of blown away. There's a lot of content to explore. I only did one of the jobs and I was probably in it for about 30-45 minutes. The writing also ties it all together in to a cohesive experience really nicely. After having messed with it, I totally understand the price now. It's worth it.

EXPERIENCES:

The Visitor - A horror one where you're sit in bed while some scary ghost shit goes down. This was the first horror experience I've tried and I almost noped out of it early but made it to the end. One part involving a teddy bear got me hard. It's pretty short but if you have a spare dollar, I'd check it out.

Lost - Pretty cool. The sense of scale and atmosphere is pretty amazing. Seeing a 100ft robot walk right above you and it feeling real is like some next level shit I thought I'd never experience except out of maybe an elaborate theme park attraction. Check this one out.

Oculus Dreamdeck - Pretty disappointing if you compare it to The Lab, but there's a couple of cool things here. In particular, seeing the T-Rex in the museum (another life long dream) and there's also a really good Short about a couple of industrial robot arms having a fight.

MISC:

The Foo Show - This is so cool. I just played and beat Firewatch recently and being able to explore the watchtower from inside it was pretty awesome. The way it's set up where you can pick up all the objects as copies is a great idea and the whole thing felt like I was there with these guys listening in on their conversation. An extremely unique experience.

AltSpace VR - This was really odd and cool. It's extremely surreal to be walking around a space with other avatars that are actual people that you can hear (and talk to). I tried it pretty late so there weren't that many people on but after getting to the Welcome space and getting oriented, someone came in and asked if anyone wanted to join the downstairs room for an impromptu comedy show. So I was like "What the hell. I'll check it out.". And that's basically what it was. Two guys doing a little improvised impromptu comedy routine with a few audience members. So weird and yet so cool. Also I got my Leap Motion working so I was able to make actual hand gestures which was really cool. With some more things to do here and some more organized events, this could be really amazing.

So yeah. Good stuff. Still have a bunch more games to try and get deeper on. I have The Gallery to still fire up, want to get more than just the little taste I got of Hover Junkers, and I also picked up Chronos. It's going to be a good weekend.

JackHerer

Received my Vive this week and have been making my way through recommendations found here.

The Lab: The most polished experience/games I've tried yet. My favorite was the SMUP-esque game where you control the ship with your hand. The visuals, the haptics, the sound, and the game mechanics all worked so perfectly together, making the game a joy to play. Made me feel a bit like a kid playing with a model spaceship/plane. I really hope they expand on it or at least add more levels but that may be unlikely. I also really enjoyed the archery and the solar system (despite its simplicity). The dog was a nice touch.

Holopoint: Really fun little game. Graphics are overly simple but that goes away as the mechanics of aiming and dodging are quite fun and intense. Somewhere here said it felt like they were "channeling Legolas" and I concur. Became a bit of a workout: spinning, dodging, crouching, etc.

Audioshield: Such a great little game, only issue is that sometimes the rhythms don't feel too great on some songs from what I can tell. The use of haptic here is perfect though and really sells the impression that I'm actually blocking with my shield.

Hoverjunkers: Was pretty cool I guess but not sure I get the hype. I don't think I have played enough to fully evaluate it though. I played a few matches, the guns felt decent but not amazing. I haven't gotten into the customizing your craft thing at all and couldn't figure out how it works in the matches I played but I didn't try that hard and just assumed I hadn't unlocked it yet or something.

Space Pirate Trainer: I immediately got sucked into this game. The different firing modes on the gun feel nice and that shield is awesome. I really doubted how engaging a shooter like this would be but they have a nice formula here. Gameplay reminds me a bit of those oldish arcade games with the handguns and foot pedals for cover but 100x more engaging purely because it's in VR. It has an addictive quality to it that makes me feel compelled to try just one more time to beat my high score.

Holoball: Played for a couple matches. Is fun for a while because swinging the racket feels nice but it's essentially 3D VR pong.

Final Approach: When I first booted this up and got into the game I was floored by the diorama/God view-point. Leaning in to see the tiny figures running around. Sense of depth/3d is very apparent and looks great. The actual gameplay got old kind of fast though. Not a whole lot of depth: just guide the planes in over and over again and put out fires/scare seagulls. That said, I don't regret buying it because of how cool it is watching the island in miniature. I really hope that a ton of games are made using this approach to POV. It works so well in VR (especially room-scale) and has a really magical feeling to it. The Lab demo with the aperture robot repair in which you open a drawer with a pocket universe in it is another good example of this. Loved that bit.

I have a bunch more games to try out still.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Final Approach: When I first booted this up and got into the game I was floored by the diorama/God view-point. Leaning in to see the tiny figures running around. Sense of depth/3d is very apparent and looks great. The actual gameplay got old kind of fast though. Not a whole lot of depth: just guide the planes in over and over again and put out fires/scare seagulls. That said, I don't regret buying it because of how cool it is watching the island in miniature. I really hope that a ton of games are made using this approach to POV. It works so well in VR (especially room-scale) and has a really magical feeling to it. The Lab demo with the Robot in which you open a drawer with a pocket universe in it is another good example of this. Loved that bit.

How many levels have you tried? Because it gets quite different and engaging later on. Also the landscape changes.

datamage

A few more impressions:

EXPERIENCES:

The Visitor - A horror one where you're sit in bed while some scary ghost shit goes down. This was the first horror experience I've tried and I almost noped out of it early but made it to the end. One part involving a teddy bear got me hard. It's pretty short but if you have a spare dollar, I'd check it out.

Lost - Pretty cool. The sense of scale and atmosphere is pretty amazing. Seeing a 100ft robot walk right above you and it feeling real is like some next level shit I thought I'd never experience except out of maybe an elaborate theme park attraction. Check this one out.

Oculus Dreamdeck - Pretty disappointing if you compare it to The Lab, but there's a couple of cool things here. In particular, seeing the T-Rex in the museum (another life long dream) and there's also a really good Short about a couple of industrial robot arms having a fight.

So yeah. Good stuff. Still have a bunch more games to try and get deeper on. I have The Gallery to still fire up, want to get more than just the little taste I got of Hover Junkers, and I also picked up Chronos. It's going to be a good weekend.

Oh man, I gotta check out this stuff, thanks for the post! Is it easy to acquire Oculus content and getting it to work with the Vive? Is the "hack" flawless?

UnrealEck

If you like Space Pirate Trainer, try the demo for Vertigo. It's similar only you can move through a level like in Budget Cuts.

JackHerer

How many levels have you tried? Because it gets quite different and engaging later on. Also the landscape changes.

AH damn, I had a feeling I was missing something. Will give it another go. I mostly messed around in free-play and did I think two story missions (same island). Different landscapes is enough to get me to play more.

Colosse is a cool demo. It's a really cool way to tell stories because you really feel like you are there in the moment and that definitely ads a lot to it. Much ,much more than simply watching on a 2D screen that's for dang sure. Don't know if there will be any interactivity at all but it's a cool experience and I wouldn't mind paying to chill and experience the whole story when it comes out.

Also makes me excited for more things like this to come to VR. VR movies are going to be amazing.

Steam could potentially get a VR movie/media content streaming service going ala Netflix... I'm getting ahead of myself lol.

Oh man, I gotta check out this stuff, thanks for the post! Is it easy to acquire Oculus content and getting it to work with the Vive? Is the "hack" flawless?

Yep. Just install Oculus Home, download what you want, turn on unknown sources in Settings, and you're largely good to go. I had some issues initially with Revive but that was all on my part because I had somehow copied something over wrong. Some stuff might make you run both the game exe and Revive in Administrator mode but that's easy enough. There are a few things that still don't work (I couldn't get Epic's Showdown demo, or the Invasion short to work) but most everything does.

I'd like to play Chronos, but $50 is a bit steep for me when Revive isn't necessarily going to work in a few weeks (or even days, really). Not a fault of the developer and if you own a Rift, don't think $50 is unfair from what I've seen

Hopefully the exclusivity stuff dies with these launch titles. It's cancerous and only hurts the industry as a whole. No one is going to buy two HMD's for the same platform just to experience a handful of exclusive titles.

datamage

I'd like to play Chronos, but $50 is a bit steep for me when Revive isn't necessarily going to work in a few weeks (or even days, really). Not a fault of the developer and if you own a Rift, don't think $50 is unfair from what I've seen

Hopefully the exclusivity stuff dies with these launch titles. It's cancerous and only hurts the industry as a whole. No one is going to buy two HMD's for the same platform just to experience a handful of exclusive titles.

What does this mean? That it has the potential to stop working or?

And agreed, VR market needs to grow, limiting content is just silly. I wonder what the breakdown is of Rift vs Vive sales.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think I'm going to jump on chronos, the revive support seems solid enough for now and the style appeals. Will also check out lost and vertigo - thanks for the impressions everyone.

Might even check out final approach. I like flight control and the diorama style looks good - the underground sections in luckeys tale and the toy town in dream deck really work well in VR so I want to try more things that use that viewpoint

Neverfade

Looking to build a PC for VR, but I think I want to wait to spend big money on a 1080 Ti when it hits.

In the meantime, can anyone who is using a GTX 970 (which is the minimum required card, right?) confirm performance is sufficient for these early VR games?

Also, I mentioned it before briefly, but the VR short Henry is really worth checking out. It's a great little story. I just wish they had staged it less like a play where nothing happens behind you. If they had just positioned you closer at Henry's table and adjusted certain events around that, it would have taken better advantage of the medium. Still really good though.

And agreed, VR market needs to grow, limiting content is just silly. I wonder what the breakdown is of Rift vs Vive sales.

Revive is unofficial so any update to a game could potentially break compatibility. The devs are pretty on point though. The last time compatibility was broken, they had a new working version up within a couple days along with new features.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AH damn, I had a feeling I was missing something. Will give it another go. I mostly messed around in free-play and did I think two story missions (same island). Different landscapes is enough to get me to play more.

I'm curious if you like it better after. Final Approach is one of my favorite VR games, I think they put a lot of attention into the details.

Helznicht

What GPU do you have adnd what graphical settings are you using in ED? Do you think it would be possible to get 90FPS with 2x1080P with a 980ti?

First off my tests were all done in the big stations that you fly into, as its the most demanding from my experience. Now I do not have the moon landings expansion and that may be worse, cant say. But I can say I will not get the expansion (or future expansions) for a long while as a PC upgrade is not in the cards anytime soon. If I am still interested in ED when that happens will be dependent on how well they support the Vive over the next couple years.

I have a GTX970 and an I5 @ 3.9 ghz with 8m ram. To get the external imagery acceptable to me, I used VR-LOW with 1080p and X2 SS. I was getting around 40-45 fps.

In my opinion, I don't think a 980ti will get it done either. You would have to push x2 the frames, and SLI doesnt work in VR. So for me I think it would be a next generation card.

Mileage may vary though, its VERY smooth and playable @ 1080p, no SS, on VR low or VR high. Some still think its awesome, but it really knocks me out of immersion when landing on stations (which happens a lot), so much so that I do not think I will play it much in its current state, there is too much great content coming out that really caters to the current VR headsets. It really is just the amount of detail they put into the stations IMO, and loots awesome on a monitor. But if they simplified the stations details, aimed for using HMDs, i think they could get rid of the shimmering.

sk3tch

Looking to build a PC for VR, but I think I want to wait to spend big money on a 1080 Ti when it hits.

In the meantime, can anyone who is using a GTX 970 (which is the minimum required card, right?) confirm performance is sufficient for these early VR games?

One word on that 1080 Ti - you will be waiting about a year. Take a look at the 980 release cadence to get a preview.

09/14 980
03/15 TITAN X
06/15 980 Ti

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Been fine with mine so far. Get a good Overclockers and you'll be in 980 territory which helps.

Onemic

First off my tests were all done in the big stations that you fly into, as its the most demanding from my experience. Now I do not have the moon landings expansion and that may be worse, cant say. But I can say I will not get the expansion (or future expansions) for a long while as a PC upgrade is not in the cards anytime soon. If I am still interested in ED when that happens will be dependent on how well they support the Vive over the next couple years.

I have a GTX970 and an I5 @ 3.9 ghz with 8m ram. To get the external imagery acceptable to me, I used VR-LOW with 1080p and X2 SS. I was getting around 40-45 fps.

In my opinion, I don't think a 980ti will get it done either. You would have to push x2 the frames, and SLI doesnt work in VR. So for me I think it would be a next generation card.

Mileage may vary though, its VERY smooth and playable @ 1080p, no SS, on VR low or VR high. Some still think its awesome, but it really knocks me out of immersion when landing on stations (which happens a lot), so much so that I do not think I will play it much in its current state, there is too much great content coming out that really caters to the current VR headsets. It really is just the amount of detail they put into the stations IMO, and loots awesome on a monitor. But if they simplified the stations details, aimed for using HMDs, i think they could get rid of the shimmering.

Thanks for the impressions. Hoping the 1080 can run it well.

Helznicht

Got a 970, I5 and 8m ram. My rig has played every thing I have tried perfectly smoothly (1 exception below). Things i have tried:

Budget Cuts
Job Sim.
The Blu
Irrational Exuberance
Fantastic Contraption
The Lab
Elite Dangerous
Tilt Brush
Spell Fighter
BigScreen Beta (only exception, got some very slight studder in a couple of the environments)

EDIT: I'm surprised at how well I've aclimated to VR. I heard about you needing to build up kind of a tolerance but day 1 and 2 I'm in there for at least an hour or two, only needing to remove the headset to stop fucking sweating (I got some cloth headbands for my hair that are working pretty good though)

I bought it, seems to be the easiest way to watch 360 videos without issue.

If theres an easier way to do that I would love it.

Is there a way to make the videos not seem like 800 feet tall and 6 inches from my face?

The screensize/distance sliders don't do anything and it makes watching pornography star wars fucking terrifying

I'm guessing I'm okay with my 2600k, but anybody with one want to put my mind at ease?

my 2500k is doing it all 100% fine

Randdalf

So I've disassembled my Vive setup until I get the equipment to set up the lighthouses properly. How would I go about setting up my Vive for seated games? I've heard that I might only need to set up one lighthouse; but at what level, and so on?

So I've disassembled my Vive setup until I get the equipment to set up the lighthouses properly. How would I go about setting up my Vive for seated games? I've heard that I might only need to set up one lighthouse; but at what level, and so on?

I just move one lighthouse and point it at me at my desk. Then "reset seated position" in the VR menu.

Nzyme32

The lighthouses should stay in the same place as if you were doing roomscale really.

You can't really use just one lighthouse, as most seated games on the Vive still engage with 360 experiences, so you need tracking behind you. As long as the two lighthouses have a view of where you intend to sit / stand, and can have line of sight of the controllers (if you have to use them) then you should be fine.

Randdalf

I just move one lighthouse and point it at me at my desk. Then "reset seated position" in the VR menu.

The lighthouses should stay in the same place as if you were doing roomscale really.

You can't really use just one lighthouse, as most seated games on the Vive still engage with 360 experiences, so you need tracking behind you. As long as the two lighthouses have a view of where you intend to sit / stand, and can have line of sight of the controllers (if you have to use them) then you should be fine.

Alright, cool thanks I will try that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've had some pretty decent luck with tracking doing sit-down using a single lighthouse set to A. I played Elite like that for about 3 hours and didn't lose tracking once.

SomTervo

Glad my brain is not that naive.

image.php

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We can play Lost on the Vive? How?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Inspired by the Battlefield 1 trailer I played a bit more of Quar: Battle for Gate 18 (I know, I know there isn't too much of a link between the two, outside the inspiration from WW1) and I really enjoy the way the units play and how the game plays in general. I wish there were more strategy games using this tabletop view in VR.

aaaaa0

Anyone know how to completely reset the room setup?

I calibrated it wrong the first time, and now it thinks my floor is at chest level standing up, also I can't get the Chaperone to work because it always thinks I'm in standing VR mode.

I've gone through room setup multiple times, and it doesn't clear out the settings.

Yeah, the potential for revive to be broken by a patch is a bit disconcerting. Presumably there's a way to turn off autoupdates thought? Dunno, could be worth exploring. I'd probably be fine with playing the current version of the game once and never updating.

I think I'm going to jump on chronos, the revive support seems solid enough for now and the style appeals. Will also check out lost and vertigo - thanks for the impressions everyone.

Might even check out final approach. I like flight control and the diorama style looks good - the underground sections in luckeys tale and the toy town in dream deck really work well in VR so I want to try more things that use that viewpoint

Final Approach is neat. I don't see myself spending much more time with it, but I've enjoyed it for what it is.

Anyone know how to completely reset the room setup?

I calibrated it wrong the first time, and now it thinks my floor is at chest level standing up, also I can't get the Chaperone to work because it always thinks I'm in standing VR mode.

I've gone through room setup multiple times, and it doesn't clear out the settings.

Going through room setup should reset the floor calibration. The way you're doing it (assuming it is the room setup option in Steam VR) is the only way of completely resetting room setup AFAIK. What happens when you put the controllers on the floor and calibrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom