• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

Cool. I don't think I'd really ever get a whole game out of it, but there are some VR game ideas/theories I really want to test out and see if they work. I'm a UX designer so it would be nice to just prototype some UI ideas too.

Good luck, and don't shy away from the UE4 thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789941&page=14) if you have questions. Obviously not everyone there is doing VR stuff, but VR-specific stuff is a relatively small piece of the puzzle when it comes to learning how to build things.

artsi

Holy shit, Project Cars is so much better with the native Vive support compared to Revive.

There's no pop-in anymore, and graphic settings actually do some stuff. Not to mention you can actually use the menus now.

I know this is how I'll be spending hundreds of hours in VR.

Krejlooc

Banned
My goldeneye dam level remake now has:
-bullet time
-grappling hooks (both static world and characters)
-instant teleportation
-bullet cuts style peak-a-boo teleportation
-superman flight
-shields
-working sniper rifle with scope
-ratcheting

It feels satisfying to hook someone across the room like scorpion, fling them towards you, activate bullet time, then fly towards them like Superman with your gun out, shooting them at the same time. Although admittedly it doesn't feel like GoldenEye, more like Max Payne.

Additionally you can jack cars in the demo. The demo is both rooms for and seated - before the demo begins, you are asked to place a chair in the corner of your room and map its location using the vive controller. When you teleport to a car to jack, the chaperone room orientation rotates to place your irl chair in the position and spot of the car's chair so you can go from standing to seated in game.

Next step - actually model the level instead of just using dummy assets.

CaLe

Holy shit, Project Cars is so much better with the native Vive support compared to Revive.

There's no pop-in anymore, and graphic settings actually do some stuff. Not to mention you can actually use the menus now.

I know this is how I'll be spending hundreds of hours in VR.

Thank God. AMAZING news. Can't wait to get home now.

My goldeneye dam level remake now has:
-bullet time
-grappling hooks (both static world and characters)
-instant teleportation
-bullet cuts style peak-a-boo teleportation
-superman flight
-shields
-working sniper rifle with scope
-ratcheting

It feels satisfying to hook someone across the room like scorpion, fling them towards you, activate bullet time, then fly towards them like Superman with your gun out, shooting them at the same time. Although admittedly it doesn't feel like GoldenEye, more like Max Payne.

Additionally you can jack cars in the demo. The demo is both rooms for and seated - before the demo begins, you are asked to place a chair in the corner of your room and map its location using the vive controller. When you teleport to a car to jack, the chaperone room orientation rotates to place your irl chair in the position and spot of the car's chair so you can go from standing to seated in game.

Next step - actually model the level instead of just using dummy assets.

That all sounds awesome. Do you have any plans on putting that demo out eventually?

Krejlooc

Banned
That all sounds awesome. Do you have any plans on putting that demo out eventually?

Yes, within a few weeks. It's actually going to be a stealth test of a VR ad server my company has developed. No actual advertising in the game, just a way for use to easily test huge numbers to see if we can serve people with our backend. Figure the easiest way to test like that is to bundle it in a free demo.

Krejlooc

Banned
How do you map the chair's location? Just place the Vive controller in it and click?

Looking forward to it.

the same way you map your room in the vive - you "draw" it using the vive controller. Actually, to keep things simpler, you don't trace it like you do the vive room set up, you just put the vive controller at each corner and pull the trigger. I store these positional values when you do this set up, and basically use the real-world locations as an anchor.

vermadas

Trying to cope with my G27 wheel overriding navigation control in the Steam VR menus is possibly the worst mindfuck I've had recently.. Please someone help..

Also, how to reset VR view inside Project Cars, I'm seeing my own headless neck..

If I recall correctly, I think it's unmapped to anything. You have to go into the control setup and map it to something.

Trying to cope with my G27 wheel overriding navigation control in the Steam VR menus is possibly the worst mindfuck I've had recently.. Please someone help..

Also, how to reset VR view inside Project Cars, I'm seeing my own headless neck..

HAve you tried reseting seat position in the SteamVR options ?

Lunar FC

Is Pierhead Arcade fun? Looks cool from the screenies.

Mostly want to know how the basketball mini game feels because I know my friends and I would get a kick out of going for high scores in that.

Now people should start to see the benefit of an open store. If you buy PC Cars on the Oculus store you can only play on the Oculus HMD. However, if you buy on the Steam store, you can play on any HMD you want.

jaypah

Is Pierhead Arcade fun? Looks cool from the screenies.

Mostly want to know how the basketball mini game feels because I know my friends and I would get a kick out of going for high scores in that.

It's ok. Once you get an understanding of ball release it can be a lot of fun. It's not a direct analog to shooting an actual basketball but it's the best motion control implementation that I've played so far. The real fun does come from beating other people's scores. My wife and I are in an eternal struggle right now though I have more high scores on the best games right now :p

Why not give it a shot and if it's too janky for you just get a refund? It's fine for me but it is still in development and the devs are adjusting and adding things all the time.

Now people should start to see the benefit of an open store. If you buy PC Cars on the Oculus store you can only play on the Oculus HMD. However, if you buy on the Steam store, you can play on any HMD you want.

Plus the added benefit that the Steam store version has you playing with a larger pool of players. I believe the Oculus store version is locked to only race against people who have a Rift.

IMACOMPUTA

Anyone know where to get a good set up for a Logitech dfgt for project cars? Last time I tried I spent a bunch of time on it and it never felt right.

Korezo

always get errors when starting steamvr, (unresponsive, headset not plugged properly, lighthouses taking forever to go green,,etc) Very annoying, I have to restart pc all the time. Can never plug in and play.

Lunar FC

It's ok. Once you get an understanding of ball release it can be a lot of fun. It's not a direct analog to shooting an actual basketball but it's the best motion control implementation that I've played so far. The real fun does come from beating other people's scores. My wife and I are in an eternal struggle right now though I have more high scores on the best games right now :p

Why not give it a shot and if it's too janky for you just get a refund? It's fine for me but it is still in development and the devs are adjusting and adding things all the time.

Just messed around with it for about 20 mins. A couple of the games are pretty fun. Basketball is alright while tiring. Feels like it takes too much effort to get the ball to the hoop. Maybe if they made the balls a little smaller, easier to throw and bouncy it could be better.

Sky Chief

I'm not sure because I'm at work but when I pull up Steam on my phone it seems that the update is just for the base version of PCars on Steam too. So no need to buy more DLC? If so then the game is $20 cheaper on Steam as well.

So I played some Project Cars, and that was a pretty good implementation of VR, but is there any way I can edit scale? Dude's body looked like I was a jokey and the cars seemed quite a bit smaller than what I am used to for similarly sized vehicles.

Edit: seems like there is a menu that I missed where you can make yourself human sized.

Korezo

Any way to put a fps counter to show on headset while in VR? Ran pcars at ultra with dx6 aa @1440p and was able to do a full lap on the Nordschleife, then I started to look around and instantly got sick. Wish sli worked because the game looks so bad default.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So DOOM does not currently support 3d reconstruction. However, it still works quite well (for me) in theater and full vr mode with VorpX. Disappointed that the 3d reconstruction didn't work, I kept playing for a bit. Then I decided "well, I might as well use my monitor" and switched back. After about 2 minutes, I was realized it was still way better with the Vive on.

I felt like an absolute bad ass in that first
outside sequence
jumping around and blasting things.

Ones that move as fast as Doom?

Yes. I was so hard up for games during DK2 that I would play anything and everything I could get to work.

jaypah

Just messed around with it for about 20 mins. A couple of the games are pretty fun. Basketball is alright while tiring. Feels like it takes too much effort to get the ball to the hoop. Maybe if they made the balls a little smaller, easier to throw and bouncy it could be better.

Adjusting the scale might make it easier for that game.

CaLe

So DOOM does not currently support 3d reconstruction. However, it still works quite well (for me) in theater and full vr mode with VorpX. Disappointed that the 3d reconstruction didn't work, I kept playing for a bit. Then I decided "well, I might as well use my monitor" and switched back. After about 2 minutes, I was realized it was still way better with the Vive on.

I felt like an absolute bad ass in that first
outside sequence
jumping around and blasting things.

Yes. I was so hard up for games during DK2 that I would play anything and everything I could get to work.

What do you feel makes it better with the Vive ? Doesn't the low resolution hurt it quite a bit ? Especially when it comes to text reading.

Did you notice any graphical glitches ?

Project Cars! Is Here!
Just did one lap hockenheim in a Porsche and that was great.
Then tried a single seater....and that was amazing! The cars presence is phenomenal. Judging a corner, with d wheel clipping the apex just feels special.
My only slight complaint, is that I set it up to centre the camera every race....but it sets it to the middle of the car, so I have to shift left or right depending on a left or right hand drive.
Luckily I'm playing on a sofa, so it's easy enough.

Blizzard

Banned
Project Cars! Is Here!
Then tried a single seater....and that was amazing! The cars presence is phenomenal. Judging a corner, with d wheel clipping the apex just feels special.
My only slight complaint, is that I set it up to centre the camera every race....but it sets it to the middle of the car, so I have to shift left or right depending on a left or right hand drive.
Have you tried the Caterham yet? I imagine it would be great fun. Even a go-kart might be fun.

Have you tried the Caterham yet? I imagine it would be great fun. Even a go-kart might be fun.

Not tried caterham yet, as I know that's what's next in my career save.
Just trying different cars on tracks I've been to watch races. Just about to try an F1 on Spa.

Now you've mentioned it....karts next!!
I feel like a kid in a sweet shop.

artsi

Project Cars! Is Here!

The VR section in pause menu allows you to shift your seating to left or right, if you haven't already checked that out.

IMACOMPUTA

I don't know if you guys remember, but I had a ton of problems with daytime headset tracking when I got my Vive. (avatarquote)

I tried literally everything.
As a shot in the dark, I found the email address of an engineer at Valve and sent him a detailed message about my issue. He responded within a day and started helping me troubleshoot.
I sent him recorded logs from SteamVR that indicated my base stations were losing track of each other. But it didn't make sense, as my base stations are wired.

A week or so passed and it seemed like we had hit a wall. I thought i was going to sell my Vive. And then it hit me while I was driving home from work.. "I wonder if it has anything to do with that radio tower?"

I sent Alan at Valve a message asking if that could have anything to do with it. He replied saying it'd take a very large radio tower to interfere, but it's possible. I sent him a picture from google maps and showed that I was literally a block from it and its a pretty major radio tower in the town I live in.

It all made sense.

During the day, the radio signal is significantly more powerful to combat solar radiation. At night, it's powered down. My Vive worked fine at night.
The headset lost tracking during the day, but not the controllers. This makes sense because the headset is plugged into power and way more susceptible to RFI.

Alan started telling me about using RFI chokes on my cables. I looked around at what to buy but he told me to wait because he was researching it and would send me something. A couple days later he set up a test scenario and reproduced my problem.

Well, I'll cut to the chase.

He sent me the ferrite toroids and even a second linkbox so I wouldn't lose cable length.
I just tried it out, and guess what!?

2016-05-12y2sij.jpg

IT WORKS!

I am absolutely blown away by the level of customer service I just received.

Bless you, Valve.
Bless you, Alan Yates!

artsi

I don't know if you guys remember, but I had a ton of problems with daytime headset tracking when I got my Vive. (avatarquote)

I tried literally everything.
As a shot in the dark, I found the email address of an engineer at Valve and sent him a detailed message about my issue. He responded within a day and started helping me troubleshoot.
I sent him recorded logs from SteamVR that indicated my base stations were losing track of each other. But it didn't make sense, as my base stations are wired.

A week or so passed and it seemed like we had hit a wall. I thought i was going to sell my Vive. And then it hit me while I was driving home from work.. "I wonder if it has anything to do with that radio tower?"

I sent Alan at Valve a message asking if that could have anything to do with it. He replied saying it'd take a very large radio tower to interfere, but it's possible. I sent him a picture from google maps and showed that I was literally a block from it and its a pretty major radio tower in the town I live in.

It all made sense.

During the day, the radio signal is significantly more powerful to combat solar radiation. At night, it's powered down. My Vive worked fine at night.
The headset lost tracking during the day, but not the controllers. This makes sense because the headset is plugged into power and way more susceptible to RFI.

Alan started telling me about using RFI chokes on my cables. I looked around at what to buy but he told me to wait because he was researching it and would send me something. A couple days later he set up a test scenario and reproduced my problem.

Well, I'll cut to the chase.

He sent me the ferrite toroids and even a second linkbox so I wouldn't lose cable length.
I just tried it out, and guess what!?

IT WORKS!

I am absolutely blown away by the level of customer service I just received.

Bless you, Valve.
Bless you, Alan Yates!

Wow, that's damn awesome service. Good you got it fixed!

The VR section in pause menu allows you to shift your seating to left or right, if you haven't already checked that out.

It doesn't seem to work for me.
The world scale works....so cars get bigger or smaller around me. But I can't shift the seat left ,right ,up or down!
I use the d-pad and gaze control...still doesn't work. Kind of off putting when I can see a clipped helmet in from of me. I have to keep moving my seat.

newsguy

So I played a little PCARS. Can anyone give me tips as to what resolution and performance settings I should be using. The default 720 seems so blurry thathe I can barely see ahead of me. I switched it to like 1200x900 120hz but it's still just nothe very sharp. Also I got terrible motion sickness. I'm sitting down trying to fight the nausea as I type.

Scapegoat

How is performance for others in Project Cars? I have everything on low and am still constantly missing frames (as soon as I pass out of the frontend menu and load the game it chugs). 970 GTX, i7 4790K, 16GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom