• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmid

tumblr_mpz1jgubiD1rome1po1_r1_400.gif

I just got my Shipping Info, getting deliver tomorrow.

How is performance for others in Project Cars? I have everything on low and am still constantly missing frames (as soon as I pass out of the frontend menu and load the game it chugs). 970 GTX, i7 4790K, 16GB.

I am in the same boat as you. Except an i7 3770.
Everything on low.
It's definitely a bit twitchy.
Those new gtx 10 series cards can't come fast enough.

Jams775

Been trying to play PCars but my stupid fucking G27 racing wheel makes the controls have a spaz attack in the menus. Anyone have a fix for this?

Edit: Re: the quality

It was okay (still jittery at points but playable) during qualifying but was barf city in a Barcelona map that had like 30 cars all around me in the start.

All settings low with a 8GB 390X, 16GB DDR2 and an AMD 8350 4.3Ghz

Redditors report a fix: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...rs_patch_110_htc_vive_support_is_here/d338wix

Oddly enough I sort of had this problem with my G27, though I never had it spazz out that much, just some scrolling through selections and a non-working throttle in game. What fixed it for me was simply running the "calibrate pedals" in the options > controls screen.

Thanks, I'll try the combining Axis fix. Already tried calibrating and that did nothing. Though I got to play a couple of races, once I got to that 30 car race I don't think I'll be able to play it until there's a fix or something that lets me lower the quality settings more.

Scapegoat

Been trying to play PCars but my stupid fucking G27 racing wheel makes the controls have a spaz attack in the menus. Anyone have a fix for this?
Redditor reports a fix: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...rs_patch_110_htc_vive_support_is_here/d338wix

Oddly enough I sort of had this problem with my G27, though I never had it spazz out that much, just some scrolling through selections and a non-working throttle in game. What fixed it for me was simply running the "calibrate pedals" in the options > controls screen.

SimplexPL

So helpful. Is this Win10 advocacy thread?

I highlighted relevant fragments:
http://www.htcvive.com/us/support/faqs/GUID-ABA623FC-B51F-43F7-B2B5-D4C83A37C992.html said:
What are the recommended system requirements?
To use Vive, your computer must meet the following recommended minimum system requirements.

GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970, AMD Radeon™ R9 290 equivalent or better
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4590/AMD FX™ 8350 equivalent or better
RAM: 4 GB or more
Video output: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer
USB port: 1x USB 2.0 or better port
Operating system: Windows® 7 SP1, Windows® 8.1 or later, Windows® 10

Oh sorry. I could have sworn 10 was recommended. Maybe that was for Rift? Anyways, have you tried doing a fresh install of the drivers or download a beta driver?

Well it's certainly recommended as some software like Big Screen and Virtual Desktop just flat out don't work on Windows 7 because they use new features MS added in later versions of Windows. Plus, Win10 has improvements that Oculus asked for in the kernel which essentially eliminated some critical areas where Windows used buffers which obviously introduced unnecessary latency from the OS. So while it may work on Win7, it's best to have Win10.

But to help out, do a clean install (it's a checkbox during install for the drivers which removes everything). If that doesn't work try using different versions of the driver going back to the March 28 VR drivers and find one which works. If you're doing multi-mon, try unplugging all but one monitor as well to try to narrow things down.

Korezo

So I played a little PCARS. Can anyone give me tips as to what resolution and performance settings I should be using. The default 720 seems so blurry thathe I can barely see ahead of me. I switched it to like 1200x900 120hz but it's still just nothe very sharp. Also I got terrible motion sickness. I'm sitting down trying to fight the nausea as I type.

How is performance for others in Project Cars? I have everything on low and am still constantly missing frames (as soon as I pass out of the frontend menu and load the game it chugs). 970 GTX, i7 4790K, 16GB.

Yeah, I have a 980ti and the game has judder on any decent setting I try, is everything low the only way to play the game? The two times I played I got sick.

TheRed

PCars has been a very disappointing experience for me on both the Rift and Vive. Glad I found it for $16 and didn't go all in on the GOTY edition before trying like I thought about doing. Gonna give Live for Speed a try and waiting for Dirt Rally.

I cannot get Vive to work under Win7. When SteamVR starts, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then I get an error:

Screenshot%202016-05-13%2001.36.51.png

Here's my system report from SteamVR:
http://pastebin.com/SiX0rHh8

If I wanted Valve to help, who should I contact?

You might want to try an earlier driver. I used 362.00 on both of my machines (one my main PC as a VR test, and the other my VR machine that got set up later), and both of them are running Windows 7. I haven't had a driver issue on 362.00, but I've read of others having issues on later versions. Downgrading might be worth a shot.

Justin

Anyone have any Audioshield songs that are searchable in the game that you have found particularly fun? Just did Everlong and on the hardest difficulty it was really fun.

Zaptruder

Banned
Hi all,

Ready to reveal my paper on VR locomotion.

The system is called: Controller Assisted On the Spot movement (or CAOTS for short).

You can download it here.

https://mega.nz/#!08BBUDLA!OZtIYs45ww43Zg7j0L3lLMJVQup4QwUFNb18LwNhPLk

The paper includes a reasonably thorough primer on the state of VR locomotion, why it's important, and how this solution solves for a lot of the problems of VR within the practical constraints of current day VR tech.

The basic synopsis of CAOTS is that the user uses a tracked motion controller to provide the movement directionality and intent of movement, but not the actual velocity of movement itself, which is instead inferred by the head bounce motion of the user’s head mounted display as the user walks, jogs or runs on the spot.

VR Locomotion is an issue that has the potential to effect the trajectory of VR adoption and thus society as a whole. An intuitive and immersive locomotion method that works well within the necessary limitations of the systems will help to drive forward the range of possible VR experiences. At this stage, the VR industry as a whole has not settled on such a solution, but a keen and considered implementation of Controller Assisted On the Spot (CAOTS) movement that pairs well with room scale movement will go a long way towards enabling that desirable locomotion standard for a majority of all VR experiences. This in turn allows users to switch between many VR experiences without having to guess at or relearn basic traversal and navigation concepts.
In summary, with CAOTS, we have access to a VR locomotion method that
• Can use standard existing room scale VR hardware
• Allows for unlimited traversal within the virtual environment (VE)
• Synergizes with room scale movement
• Provides proprioceptive and vestibular cues that approximate actual movement and is therefore more immersive
• Provides a natural sense of movement through VEs
• Allows for more intuitive changes to the rate of movement.
• Requires minimal training (a few minutes to get used to it).
• Enhances the sense of scale of VEs, by getting users to actually use their bodies to traverse VE space.
• Provides users with a fitness and health positive traversal solution
• Helps mitigate and minimize motion sickness.
• Decouples the direction of motion from the direction of the head and allows users to easily look around in the VE without disrupting the direction of travel.
• Is compatible with a wide range of play space sizes.
This solution does not provide the user with a perfect 1:1 visual motion to vestibular motion relationship. But it does allow for users to engage that room scale mode to the extent that it is physically possible, while affording a compromise to VR locomotion that is likely going to be as good as it gets. This is especially true when taking into account the necessary constraints of mainstream consumer usage of VR – which include consideration for cost, complexity, extra peripherals/components/ accessories as well as the physical limitations of the play space that most people will be able to use their VR systems in.

There's actually a demo of it that you can try made by Ryan Sullivan/Deprecated Coder called RIPMotion.

http://smirkingcat.software/ripmotion/

Worth noting that it's not a direct implementation of CAOTS as described in the paper - but the key principles are there - directionality indicated by controller heading, and intentionality signaled by the user. It can be held in hand (I'd suggest is a better solution than putting it in your belt for a number of reasons, among which is, not everyone is wearing the appropriate attire), uses head bounce for velocity measurement, not arm swing. I'd also suggest turning on beginner to advanced chaperone boundaries if you haven't already, because you will drift as you run in place, and having the bounds pop up as you drift helps you recenter very easily.

Also, the implementation is rough around its edges - especially in terms of the stride length. The ideal is to get it so that it feels like your body motion is directly responsible for the motion - the paper suggests a detailed movement scaling system that provides this feedback.

Nonetheless, it's a great demo of the principles discussed in the paper and you should give it a shot if you haven't already (and if you have, try it again with the minor modifications that I suggest - holding it in hand, while taking note of things like scale, vection, the ability to look around, moving around in room space and larger VE space, etc).

I've talked with deprecatedcoder and apparently he's made some modifications and will be releasing a demo soon - so looking forward to seeing that.

Jams775

Just chiming in to say that the frame rate on PCars improved after I deleted all the xml files in the documents\pcars folder. Still struggled with the G27 racing wheel but for some reason I got it to work. I think it's because I just launched it from the monitor and didn't bother with using the vive controllers and never messing with the steamVR menu system. Also don't forget to bind a reset position before you get into a game!

Helznicht

Yeah, I have a 980ti and the game has judder on any decent setting I try, is everything low the only way to play the game? The two times I played I got sick.

970 with an i5 here. Can run it 1080p with high textures and the very basic of AA. Everything else on low or off, or I get judder. (race with 40+ cars in clear weather)

With these games that have far draw distances (PC, ED) we are going to see pixel crawl. IN ED when I ran 4k super sampling, it cleaned up a lot of it, but still a very soft distant image. Limitation of the low res these headsets have.

I just wish I could squeeze in low shadows, they do a lot to cement the environment, but alas, my 970 cant even handle that.

newsguy

970 with an i5 here. Can run it 1080p with high textures and the very basic of AA. Everything else on low or off, or I get judder. (race with 40+ cars in clear weather)

With these games that have far draw distances (PC, ED) we are going to see pixel crawl. IN ED when I ran 4k super sampling, it cleaned up a lot of it, but still a very soft distant image. Limitation of the low res these headsets have.

I just wish I could squeeze in low shadows, they do a lot to cement the environment, but alas, my 970 cant even handle that.

It's sucks for me cause I got the GOTY version and immediately realized I get horrible motion sickness from this game. I was nauseous for about 2 hours. On the upside, my rig can run the 2D game on the gsync monitor with basically everything highest and it looks and plays great. So no PCARS VR for my stomach.

Also, the softness and screen door effect really stick out like a sore thumb in this game. In all of the room scale stuff I don't even notice sde, but in a racing game where distance is crucial, I feel like I'm far worse at the game in VR. I can't judge turns fast enough cause I have trouble seeing what's coming up. It's a real bummer because I was looking forward to playing the truck simulator games on my Vive, but after seeing PCARS I might not even try.

So how do you guys keep the cord from kinking up? It feels like after a few mins of playing Holopoint I have to pause the game to untangle the cord.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So how do you guys keep the cord from kinking up? It feels like after a few mins of playing Holopoint I have to pause the game to untangle the cord.

Holopoint specifically I keep in mind which way I'm turning and basically rotate on a hinge instead of doing full rotations all the time. Back and forth, rather than forth and forth.

SimplexPL

As for my Win7 issue - I did a clean driver reinstall, using Display Driver Uninstaller, which did not help, but I will try older driver.
Both Rift and Vive officially support win7, but I am aware that VR works better on win10, since 7 is quite old. I do have win10 on the second partition and no problems there, but I want to find a solution for win7 too.

Samaritan

So whatever happened to the Alien Surgeon Simulator demo? It was getting shown around a lot before the Vive was out, but it seems to have completely vanished.

Also, what's the consensus on which is better? BigScreen or Virtual Desktop

derFeef

Bought Solus Project and it's great without VR even, hopefully it runs well on the Vive but that update came out yesterday to improve things :)
Hopefully this day passes fast, need my Vive :D

artsi

Are you playing with a high car count? What's your CPU?

4790K + 980Ti here and I can play with medium/high settings no problem, but I don't usually play with over 20 opponents so maybe it's that.

taco543

Hi all,

The system is called: Controller Assisted On the Spot movement (or CAOTS for short).

The paper includes a reasonably thorough primer on the state of VR locomotion, why it's important, and how this solution solves for a lot of the problems of VR within the practical constraints of current day VR tech.

There's actually a demo of it that you can try made by Ryan Sullivan/Deprecated Coder called RIPMotion.

Worth noting that it's not a direct implementation of CAOTS as described in the paper - but the key principles are there - directionality indicated by controller heading, and intentionality signaled by the user. It can be held in hand (I'd suggest is a better solution than putting it in your belt for a number of reasons, among which is, not everyone is wearing the appropriate attire), uses head bounce for velocity measurement, not arm swing. I'd also suggest turning on beginner to advanced chaperone boundaries if you haven't already, because you will drift as you run in place, and having the bounds pop up as you drift helps you recenter very easily.

Also, the implementation is rough around its edges - especially in terms of the stride length. The ideal is to get it so that it feels like your body motion is directly responsible for the motion - the paper suggests a detailed movement scaling system that provides this feedback.

Nonetheless, it's a great demo of the principles discussed in the paper and you should give it a shot if you haven't already (and if you have, try it again with the minor modifications that I suggest - holding it in hand, while taking note of things like scale, vection, the ability to look around, moving around in room space and larger VE space, etc).

I've talked with deprecatedcoder and apparently he's made some modifications and will be releasing a demo soon - so looking forward to seeing that.

that video on the site is really amazing. looks great!

SimplexPL

You might want to try an earlier driver. I used 362.00 on both of my machines (one my main PC as a VR test, and the other my VR machine that got set up later), and both of them are running Windows 7. I haven't had a driver issue on 362.00, but I've read of others having issues on later versions. Downgrading might be worth a shot.

That was great advice - 362.00 works, every later driver crashes. Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone have a good solution for hanging the controllers on a wall? I've seen a 3D printing model but I don't have access to one so would prefer something I can buy from a shop.

Tadie

1080p? Isn't the resolution setting just for the mirrored image on the monitor?

I dropped the resolution to 640 x 480.

XShagrath

that's thinking outside of the box :) I was trying to find something like angled dowelling to hang via the big hoop. Wrist straps would be too long though - I'd like to put them in a cupboard like this guy
The hooks in that picture look like something you would normally hang keys from. I picked up some coat hooks thinking I would use them to hold the 50' HDMI cable I run to the 'VR Room', but that didn't work. They'll work excellently for holding the controllers though. Gonna build a shelf and get an armature to put the headset on, and then hang the controllers on either side with the hooks.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_590596-81227-163955_1z140au__?productId=50156926&pl=1&Ntt=hooks

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
What do you feel makes it better with the Vive ? Doesn't the low resolution hurt it quite a bit ? Especially when it comes to text reading.

Did you notice any graphical glitches ?

I'm really not a big fan of the word but "immersion" really. Having your vision filled with the demons from Hell of Doom is a lot more fun for me than having them on my 27" monitor.

With FOV set to 130 and image zoom to around .6-.7 or so the full-screen version is nice. The HUD could be a little better though. In theater mode with the image zoomed in a bit fixes that and cutscenes are more comfortable. I haven't decided which I prefer.

Helznicht

1080p? Isn't the resolution setting just for the mirrored image on the monitor?

I dropped the resolution to 640 x 480.

Just tried, I think your right, no change in HMD. Although dropping to 640x480 did not help with performance at all either, Any change above what I had at 1080p causes judder at 480p also. :(

SimplexPL

The card is indeed overclocked, however the crash happens ONLY when I try to launch SteamVR, at the precise moment when Vive screens are supposed to turn on.

Also, it does not happen on 362.00 drivers (on the same overclocked settings), but happens on all newer drivers (except the ones released today, because I did not test them yet). And it does not happen on Win10 (also on bumped clocks). So it's definitely some problem with drivers/windows 7.

pj

Banned
The card is indeed overclocked, however the crash happens ONLY when I try to launch SteamVR, at the precise moment when Vive screens are supposed to turn on.

Also, it does not happen on 362.00 drivers (on the same overclocked settings), but happens on all newer drivers (except the ones released today, because I did not test them yet). And it does not happen on Win10 (also on bumped clocks). So it's definitely some problem with drivers/windows 7.

Does it happen if you put the card back at stock clocks? Maxwell can be weird with OCing

executor

Huuuuuu nice paper, i'll properly read it in the next days :)

Hi all,

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Hi all,

I really like this solution but it has one major problem. You have to sacrifice a controller to get "chest direction". This just highlights a major oversight by valve; needing more sensors for different body parts out of the box.

Ideally CV2 will come with a "VR Belt" that has both front and rear sensors for detecting chest/pelvis direction. As for right now, I am trying to do some math to figure out if I can get a rough estimate of chest direction by averaging vectors from the two controllers (can't use head because it should be free to move as it wishes.

Do you know if the developer is using Unreal or if he plans on releasing his research? I am curious how he is setting the speed. I assume it is just any up or down movement of the headset (normalized) multiplied by a movement value.

Yoritomo

Oh god project cars.

So first thing I did trying out the vive patch was select my real life car.

World was scaled way too small. Immediately apparent. So I open up the options and they let you change the world scale.

Right around 1.10 the car clicked.

"Oh shit, this is my car."

As far as I can tell 1.10 is full scale in VR for the vive.

Jams775

Oh god project cars.

So first thing I did trying out the vive patch was select my real life car.

World was scaled way too small. Immediately apparent. So I open up the options and they let you change the world scale.

Right around 1.10 the car clicked.

"Oh shit, this is my car."

As far as I can tell 1.10 is full scale in VR for the vive.

where is that option? In the VR settings? I'll have to check that out. Does it make the drivers body look less like a toddler?

Samaritan

Well guys, today's the day! By 8 o'clock tonight I'll finally be in virtual reality! I've got my games downloaded, my room space all cleared and setup, just waiting on that 20lb box now!

Is there anything I should know going into this that isn't readily apparent? Stuff like the best way to wear the Vive, how tight to wear it, anything like that?

Yoritomo

where is that option? In the VR settings? I'll have to check that out. Does it make the drivers body look less like a toddler?

Yup, world scale is off on the vive with default settings. Using my own car as reference, 1.10 seems about right, might still be a bit small, but the main reference that was off at that size is the gear shift knob is wrong (still too small). Scale feels good right about there, with other things that feel off probably being up to small modeling errors (like the gear shift knob)

Can't remember what menu it's in right now, but you can access it while in a race.

I'll have to mess with photo mode but VR photo mode is awesome to really inspect the cars.

Move your seat to a corner of the play space and go into photo mode at a flat part of the track. Reset the VR view so your looking into your play space from a corner or side.

I'm just going to look at cars all weekend... and I guess race...

Zaptruder

Banned
Huuuuuu nice paper, i'll properly read it in the next days :)

Cheers! Looking forward to thoughts/feedback.

I really like this solution but it has one major problem. You have to sacrifice a controller to get "chest direction". This just highlights a major oversight by valve; needing more sensors for different body parts out of the box.

Ideally CV2 will come with a "VR Belt" that has both front and rear sensors for detecting chest/pelvis direction. As for right now, I am trying to do some math to figure out if I can get a rough estimate of chest direction by averaging vectors from the two controllers (can't use head because it should be free to move as it wishes.

Do you know if the developer is using Unreal or if he plans on releasing his research? I am curious how he is setting the speed. I assume it is just any up or down movement of the headset (normalized) multiplied by a movement value.

Hi, thanks for the response!

To be sure, CAOTS has you using the direction controller in your hand - RIPMotion demos it with the controller in the belt. CAOTS is the system in the paper I wrote, RIPMotion is the implementation that occurred independently of my paper.

With that been said - your hand is occupied while you're moving around in CAOTS, that's true. The flipside is, it's completely free when you drop into room scale, and can easily switch back and forth between room scale and caots. Also, it's not completely occupied - you just have to hold your hand roughly in the direction you want to move. Also, you have freedom to move your arm around if the touch disc/analog stick (which adds onto the controller direction) implementation is used.

I envision that in a scenario where the player is running around with a sword and shield as an example, that they'll still be able to freely run around with both things while using CAOTS... and generally, you'll drop out of CAOTS to swing your weapons around as it tends to require real foot work (although you can still swing one arm around while running around with CAOTS).

The number of scenarios where you'll be actually moving around while still using both hands dextrously (i.e. for more than just holding onto things) is very few as far as I can tell. I mean, even in real life that's a rarity. Probably the only one is firing a two handed weapon... and in reality, running and gunning is inaccurate... and it'll be inaccurate with CAOTS too!

bj00rn_

Banned
Redditor reports a fix: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...rs_patch_110_htc_vive_support_is_here/d338wix

I've been trying to find "combined axis mode" in the profiler for the last 20 minutes.., I don't get it, where is it..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom