• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Cheers! Looking forward to thoughts/feedback.

Hi, thanks for the response!

To be sure, CAOTS has you using the direction controller in your hand - RIPMotion demos it with the controller in the belt. CAOTS is the system in the paper I wrote, RIPMotion is the implementation that occurred independently of my paper.

With that been said - your hand is occupied while you're moving around in CAOTS, that's true. The flipside is, it's completely free when you drop into room scale, and can easily switch back and forth between room scale and caots. Also, it's not completely occupied - you just have to hold your hand roughly in the direction you want to move. Also, you have freedom to move your arm around if the touch disc/analog stick (which adds onto the controller direction) implementation is used.

I envision that in a scenario where the player is running around with a sword and shield as an example, that they'll still be able to freely run around with both things while using CAOTS... and generally, you'll drop out of CAOTS to swing your weapons around as it tends to require real foot work (although you can still swing one arm around while running around with CAOTS).

The number of scenarios where you'll be actually moving around while still using both hands dextrously (i.e. for more than just holding onto things) is very few as far as I can tell. I mean, even in real life that's a rarity. Probably the only one is firing a two handed weapon... and in reality, running and gunning is inaccurate... and it'll be inaccurate with CAOTS too!

Would it not be better to get direction from the touch pad? Aiming with the whole controller fucks with the ability to use one hand for aiming a gun.

I am trying to work through the math in my head for attempting this in UE4. I wonder if I could just get the velocity of the headset, convert that into a vector length (aka float) and then multiply that by a speed.

It would work better if I could convert the velocity length to a number between 0 and 1.

Maybe clamp velocity to an average number that happens while running and then divide by the vector length by this number. That way I can set one walking speed (say 300) and multiply it by the number to get anywhere between 0 and 300 for movement speed.

basically in psudocode:
float AVel "somenumber"; (average velocity found while "running", could also call this sensitivity sense a lower number will allow you to RUN with less effort)
float Max Speed = 300;
velocity(vector3 Derived from headset movement velocity) -> GetVectorLength(float HVel)

if(Hvel >= AVel)
HVel = AVel);

float Dif = HVel/AVel;

float speed = Dif * MaxSpeed;

Pass on to move logic.

Edit: HOLYSHIT, i just realized something, combine this with leaning and you can move naturally in all directions (forward, strafing and backwards). We naturally lean while doing that too. So JUST use up and down movement for deciding speed. You dont actually have to move your feet, just bob your head and MIME running.

I think I can put together a prototype.

Korezo

Are you playing with a high car count? What's your CPU?

4790K + 980Ti here and I can play with medium/high settings no problem, but I don't usually play with over 20 opponents so maybe it's that.

I have a 2600k oced, and Im playing with no ai just myself.

Jams775

I've been trying to find "combined axis mode" in the profiler for the last 20 minutes.., I don't get it, where is it..?

In the logitech profiler it's in on of the menu drop down menu Items. I think it's like Device Settings or something like that (not at the computer now to check). I think it's the option above the degree you can set the wheels ability to turn (which I'd recommend maxing out) default is at 200 degrees of rotation.

It didn't work for me in the end though. I just launched the game from the monitor and didn't touch the in VR menu.

Zaptruder

Banned
Would it not be better to get direction from the touch pad? Aiming with the whole controller fucks with the ability to use one hand for aiming a gun.

You can use the touchpad in a few ways.

Without motion input, touchpad input is relative to the fixed bounds of the room. i.e. pressing up on the touchpad will always set your movement direction to the north, pressing down will always set it south.

Problem with this suggestion is... we don't orient ourselves in absolute terms (actually there's a rare tribe of humans that have this capability, but most people do not - especially not in doors with a HMD on).

Otherwise we can use the directional vector of the HMD, and modify that with the directional input of the analog stick/touch pad. This isn't that bad a solution tbh - it still incorporates the intentionality that the user indicates. It does have a critical flaw in that when you turn your head to look at something while intending to continue walking in your intended direction of movement... you'll actually move in the direction that you're looking - causing a moment of vection as your visual motion expectation adjusts. To put it more simply, it feels better to be able to look around freely while you walk around.

The last option, suggested in the paper is to use the directional vector of the controller, and modify it with the touchpad input.

It does have the weakness of occupying your arm to some degree - but when weighing up the pros and cons of various solutions, it's probably the most robust and useful one for us - as it allows you to look around freely, rather than driving movement primarily via your head and secondarily through the touch pad.

If pointing simultaneously with two hands with accuracy is an essential feature though, then the HMD as primary directionality might work. Personally, I have a hard enough time trying to shoot with two hands standing still - it'd be difficult to imagine trying to do so with any accuracy while also running around with CAOTS or a variation of it.

As far as lean to move goes, from what I've research, those that have tried it have reported less than stellar results (although maybe that was without conjunction with OTS movement). In my own experimentation, if free head look while moving around is desirable - you're going to come up against occasional conflicts against the lean to move solution. Still, worth experimenting on if you're up for it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
You can use the touchpad in a few ways.

Without motion input, touchpad input is relative to the fixed bounds of the room. i.e. pressing up on the touchpad will always set your movement direction to the north, pressing down will always set it south.

Problem with this suggestion is... we don't orient ourselves in absolute terms (actually there's a rare tribe of humans that have this capability, but most people do not - especially not in doors with a HMD on).

Otherwise we can use the directional vector of the HMD, and modify that with the directional input of the analog stick/touch pad. This isn't that bad a solution tbh - it still incorporates the intentionality that the user indicates. It does have a critical flaw in that when you turn your head to look at something while intending to continue walking in your intended direction of movement... you'll actually move in the direction that you're looking - causing a moment of vection as your visual motion expectation adjusts. To put it more simply, it feels better to be able to look around freely while you walk around.

The last option, suggested in the paper is to use the directional vector of the controller, and modify it with the touchpad input.

It does have the weakness of occupying your arm to some degree - but when weighing up the pros and cons of various solutions, it's probably the most robust and useful one for us - as it allows you to look around freely, rather than driving movement primarily via your head and secondarily through the touch pad.

If pointing simultaneously with two hands with accuracy is an essential feature though, then the HMD as primary directionality might work. Personally, I have a hard enough time trying to shoot with two hands standing still - it'd be difficult to imagine trying to do so with any accuracy while also running around with CAOTS or a variation of it.

To answer your question you only take the headsets pitch and roll into consideration. Ignore the yaw (head turn). Use a deadzone to keep small deviations from effecting direction.

You could also use "Distance from a starting point" to decide direction that is rotation independent. Every time you press the grip button it will reset the headset start position. Go from there.
This would be perfect with a separate chest sensor that can detect pitch and roll (or distance direction). Much better than pointing with a controller.

Actually, the distance on the x,y plane would be better than pitch and roll. With pitch and roll you wouldn't be able to look up and move forward.

Using distance you could.

Distance requires you to have a stationary sensor though. You have to get the headsets position relative to something else and that something else has to be tied to your torso's facing direction.

Dingles

I've got several stuck pixels in my headset. Not noticeable in games really but as time goes on, I'm getting more annoyed by them. Think I'll RMA it this weekend (UK). Hopefully the pain of waiting will be alleviated by Doom/Overwatch.

Play it on a daily basis atm, so I really don't want to RMA it! but maaaaaaaan stuck pixels on a VR headset, as hard as they are to find...

Reading Reddit horror stories of people on to their third headsets with stuck pixels in each replacement.

Zalusithix

I've got several stuck pixels in my headset. Not noticeable in games really but as time goes on, I'm getting more annoyed by them. Think I'll RMA it this weekend (UK). Hopefully the pain of waiting will be alleviated by Doom/Overwatch.

Play it on a daily basis atm, so I really don't want to RMA it! but maaaaaaaan stuck pixels on a VR headset, as hard as they are to find...

Reading Reddit horror stories of people on to their third headsets with stuck pixels in each replacement.

I have a number of green ones on my left eye's screen. I probably wont bother with RMA precisely because it's more of a headache than it's worth. They're only visible in certain dark greyscale environments (pure black seems to deactivate them strangely), and since they're only visible to one eye, the brain filters them out easily enough. I can find them when I'm looking for them, but for the most part they're invisible. Not worth RMA hell with no guarantee they wont be on the replacement(s). Obviously the screens have a high defect rate. The saving grace is the fact that they're less noticeable in VR compared to a traditional screen IMO.

Zaptruder

Banned
To answer your question you only take the headsets pitch and roll into consideration. Ignore the yaw (head turn). Use a deadzone to keep small deviations from effecting direction.

You could also use "Distance from a starting point" to decide direction that is rotation independent. Every time you press the grip button it will reset the headset start position. Go from there.
This would be perfect with a separate chest sensor that can detect pitch and roll (or distance direction). Much better than pointing with a controller.

Actually, the distance on the x,y plane would be better than pitch and roll. With pitch and roll you wouldn't be able to look up and move forward.

Using distance you could.

Distance requires you to have a stationary sensor though. You have to get the headsets position relative to something else and that something else has to be tied to your torso's facing direction.

Yeah, you're basically thinking through the same sort of process I did to arrive at the CAOTS solution. It's not to say that those implementations can't work - but all abstract solutions for movement will have some sort of flaw that will annoy someone somewhere. The trick is to figure out a combination of pros and cons that is most robust. Even if the specific implementation(s) of CAOTS described in the paper isn't standardized, it provides useful information for developers to understand the pros and cons and the factors involved in figuring out and settling on a workable solution.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I have two that are visible in my left eye. I only notice them in completely black loading screens. My guess is that most of the displays will have some dead or stuck pixels, it is just a matter of where they are in your view.

I wont bother with the RMA. The black loading screens aren't much of a bother to me.

Randdalf

I wonder if you could build an "intelligent treadmill" if you have accurate feet tracking using the base stations. You'd still only be able to do games on flat surfaces, but I think it would be an interesting challenge. I've heard someone say that treadmills aren't actually that good for VR, but I think if it was done right it could be very immersive.

Dingles

I have a number of green ones on my left eye's screen. I probably wont bother with RMA precisely because it's more of a headache than it's worth. They're only visible in certain dark greyscale environments (pure black seems to deactivate them strangely), and since they're only visible to one eye, the brain filters them out easily enough. I can find them when I'm looking for them, but for the most part they're invisible. Not worth RMA hell with no guarantee they wont be on the replacement(s). Obviously the screens have a high defect rate. The saving grace is the fact that they're less noticeable in VR compared to a traditional screen IMO.

I have two that are visible in my left eye. I only notice them in completely black loading screens. My guess is that most of the displays will have some dead or stuck pixels, it is just a matter of where they are in your view.

I wont bother with the RMA. The black loading screens aren't much of a bother to me.

True, like you guys have said - in-game it's unnoticeable unless you're hunting them. Green on dark backgrounds isn't bad. Seen people reporting consistent blue pixels. I'm sure if these displays were laid out without the lenses the pixels would stick out way more.

artsi

I have a 2600k oced, and Im playing with no ai just myself.

Well, that's strange. In time trial I get 100-120fps with all high settings, so sounds like there's something funky going on. Hard to believe CPU would make that much difference either.

If you guys enjoyed Budget Cuts, make sure you give Vertigo a try.

There's a free demo that has something that scared the crap out of me at the end of it, so I'm curious if it'll freak other people out.

It's not a jump-scare per se, just something that you see that made me really uncomfortable and I'm curious if it'll do the same to other people.

There's a free demo that has something that scared the crap out of me at the end of it, so I'm curious if it'll freak other people out.

It's not a jump-scare per se, just something that you see that made me really uncomfortable and I'm curious if it'll do the same to other people.

Its a little bare at the moment, it need more polishment.

Its a little bare at the moment, it need more polishment.

I'd definitely like to see refinement in terms of the way you switch between tools/weapons.

It's a little hectic the way they have it at the moment, and I agree that it's a very short sample of what will hopefully be a much more fleshed out game.

Lol.
Are you talking about the turrets? I opened that room and went "Oh shit". I kind of crept forward since I wasn't sure if they were actually going to shoot at me and then when the closest one did, I tried to "run" towards the end of the room and got gunned down.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but I think Vertigo can end up really good if they can streamline the weapon/item switching process. That and decoupling teleportation from being one of three modes on one of the 4 items that your hand can be.

Lol.
Are you talking about the turrets? I opened that room and went "Oh shit". I kind of crept forward since I wasn't sure if they were actually going to shoot at me and then when the closest one did, I tried to "run" towards the end of the room and got gunned down.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but I think Vertigo can end up really good if they can streamline the weapon/item switching process. That and decoupling teleportation from being one of three modes on one of the 4 items that your hand can be.

It's what comes in the room immediately after the turrets :p

I thought I remembered seeing someone else bring that up earlier, and yeah I totally agree.

Jams775

So it turns out I wasn't bad at sim racing. I just needed to be in the world looking at the turns. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to non VR racing again.

bj00rn_

Banned
In the logitech profiler it's in on of the menu drop down menu Items. I think it's like Device Settings or something like that (not at the computer now to check). I think it's the option above the degree you can set the wheels ability to turn (which I'd recommend maxing out) default is at 200 degrees of rotation.

It didn't work for me in the end though. I just launched the game from the monitor and didn't touch the in VR menu.

Thanks. But I didn't find it. However, I did what you did, and it's kind of like a temporary fix I guess. Anyway, the PCars Vive mode with a wheel is not intuitive at all, especially navigating the menus kinda sucks, and I really need a button for resetting positional tracking inside the cockpit. But it's way better than nothing.

For some reason I hated that demo..and I love Budget Cuts.. Glitches and lack of polish may have something to do with it..

In other news, after two weeks of flawlessly and automatically activating and deactivating the basestations via bluetooth (or whatever it's using..) it suddenly out of nowhere stopped working :( I just cannot for the life of me figure out why.. I have my basestation rather high and with cables neatly hidden, turning them off manually is really awkward..

For some reason I hated that demo..and I love Budget Cuts.. Glitches and lack of polish may have something to do with it..

While I didn't run into any glitches I did notice the lack of polish and ran through it in what felt like 15 minutes. I think its a nice foundation to build on. The moment to moment gameplay seems like it could be fun in a full length title with much more enemy/weapon/environment variation.

Kysen

Just did a 3 hour stint in Project cars and yup I just found my killer app. All the problems I had in cockpit view with restrictive fov are gone. I can look into my turns, see both mirrors at a glance and most importantly judge speed correctly. No way i'm going back to my PS4 version.

I had the most nerve wracking racing experience on Circuit de la Sarthe going 3 wide right after the long straight and trying to keep my car from clipping the other racers on both sides. When you can see just how close they are with a quick turn of your head, the sense of immersion is immense.

Running a single 780 with 20 cars on track had very few hiccups, though I am running on low with AA off. Comments I have seen and read from the sim community saying you can barely see into the next corner are wildly exaggerated. I wouldn't trade this experience for a multi monitor setup ever.

Qassim

Whoa. Just tried Project CARs. I don't know if something changed with me, or the game itself, but when I had tried it with Revive, it made me feel quite uncomfortable - very weird feelings in my head - not sickness, just an odd feeling.

Just played it with the new update and no odd feelings whatsoever (at least none that wouldn't make me feel a bit odd in a real car, anyway). It's a comfortable experience, could see myself playing it for hours with my G29. Really excited to give that some proper time (only tried it with my XB1 controller just as a quick test).

I turned up some of the graphics settings and it looks quite good. Overall, very happy with that. I'm not sure what changed, whether Revive wasn't as good as it seemed or I just got used to it, or SMS made some changes to make it in general more comfortable, but either way - I'm really happy.

artsi

Whoa. Just tried Project CARs. I don't know if something changed with me, or the game itself, but when I had tried it with Revive, it made me feel quite uncomfortable - very weird feelings in my head - not sickness, just an odd feeling.

Just played it with the new update and no odd feelings whatsoever (at least none that wouldn't make me feel a bit odd in a real car, anyway). It's a comfortable experience, could see myself playing it for hours with my G29. Really excited to give that some proper time (only tried it with my XB1 controller just as a quick test).

I turned up some of the graphics settings and it looks quite good. Overall, very happy with that. I'm not sure what changed, whether Revive wasn't as good as it seemed or I just got used to it, or SMS made some changes to make it in general more comfortable, but either way - I'm really happy.

Revive was broken in many ways, the native support is really better.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Project Cars with a 1080ti will be quite something next year.

Mrbob

Excited to finally be able to set this up during the weekend. Box has been taunting me while I finished finals this week.

Mazre

YUSSSSS! So as chronicled earlier in the thread my VIve doesn't work with my laptop over hdmi but apparently works flawlessly when connected via mini display port (just got cable in today). After a week of troubleshooting I finally have a functional VR system and it is just as glorious as I remember from demoing at PAX last year. Literal feelings of joy and wonder.

Actually had the urge to move out of the way when the golf cart was zipping towards me during the tutorial, spent some time in job simulator, fired up the lab and was just floored by the vista demo, did a little xortex and then I needed a break.

Still need to finalize my setup by mounting my basestations, they're currently sitting on a couple of ladders. Once that's done I should have a nice max sized play space to work with. Clarity was pretty good, especially head on and up close, peripheral was good except for downward. I'm still trying to get used to the headset and find what's most comfortable, glasses were plenty comfortable inside but nose definitely got sweaty and was near impossible to reach with the HMD on.

cakefoo

Does Revive do anything to accommodate for the differences between the Rift and Vive's field of view and optical distortion? If not, I could see that causing a vague sense that something's off.

Jams775

Thanks. But I didn't find it. However, I did what you did, and it's kind of like a temporary fix I guess. Anyway, the PCars Vive mode with a wheel is not intuitive at all, especially navigating the menus kinda sucks, and I really need a button for resetting positional tracking inside the cockpit. But it's way better than nothing.

There is an option to edit a button for reset position in the control settings on the edit assignments tab.

(if you have the G27 at default settings) On the wheel, you can use the bottom two left red buttons next to your left thumb to move up and down and the bottom right button to accept.

Just be careful when going into edit assignments because if you use that accept button instead of looking, it'll jump into that menu ready to change the steer left option so use your head mouse to get into it (I didn't realize this because I kept thinking I was canceling out of that popup but instead was changing left turn to button 21. So use your head to get in edit assignments look at the thing you want to change and hold still for a couple seconds.

Then around the very bottom middle (I think 3rd column on very bottom) was an option to set a button for resetting your position. I used the first red button on the stick shift control area. Don't think anything was assigned to it. I got pretty comfortable with those 3 red buttons to navigate around and that red button for reset position.

Project Cars seems almost unplayable with a Titan Black. (I have 2 but sli doesn't work) I turn all of the settings down but then it looks like I'm playing Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn. And the framerate is still iffy! These 1080's need to hurry up and drop!

jotun?

Yup, lol. We were going to do 3M sticky stuff, that was the plan since we put the Vive order in. We got the Vive, looked at the 3M, looked at those beautiful lighthouses, looked at each other and she said, "Get the drill".
For anyone who might still be considering using adhesives, they're a no-no because the lighthouses vibrate and will eventually loosen themselves and fall.

Jams775

Project Cars seems almost unplayable with a Titan Black. (I have 2 but sli doesn't work) I turn all of the settings down but then it looks like I'm playing Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn. And the framerate is still iffy! These 1080's need to hurry up and drop!

Have you tried deleting the xml config files in the documents/pcars folder? I had a race with 30 cars that was unplayable and thought I wouldn't be able to play the game but after trying that it was a lot better. Still not perfect but totally playable for me.

jaypah

Yeah, 290x ain't cutting it at all. 4 car race, dry weather, looks and runs like dead ass. Some tracks fare a little better than others. I'm assuming the smaller the track the better the performance but I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom