• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seriously? I don't mind a bit of physical activity in Audioshield or Budget Cuts, but I draw the line at jumping like an idiot whenever I need to nerdpole out of a hole.

There must be a button or something.

just teleport. If you hold the vive controller up and point down you can use that as a jump substitute.

hodgy100

So I just got a "Your HTC Vive PreOrder Authorization" email..

m52D9F0.png

Ordered via credit card so how far off am I GAF?!?!

UnrealEck

So I just got a "Your HTC Vive PreOrder Authorization" email..

Ordered via credit card so how far off am I GAF?!?!

Within a couple of days they'll test charge your bank account. Then within another couple of days they'll charge fully and ship.
You might be playing your Vive some time next week.

UnrealEck

Project Cars seems almost unplayable with a Titan Black. (I have 2 but sli doesn't work) I turn all of the settings down but then it looks like I'm playing Daytona USA on the Sega Saturn. And the framerate is still iffy! These 1080's need to hurry up and drop!

Try going into documents/project Cars and deleting graphicsconfigdx11.
You might need to set things again but I had performance issues and deleting solved my problem.

:O

I only ordered it this week!!

I checked my emails. I got that same email you got above on the 26th of April. Then I got the actual test charge on the same day. So if your account gets charged and all goes well they'll probably send your Vive soon. Maybe even Monday and you might get it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0c7O_AW0-Y

I borrowed a third consumer version vive controller. Got mixed reality to work. Yeah the video is crap, but I'm pretty excited. I just need to work out all the little details now.

I can't figure out the cfg file at all. Like when it's accessed to try different values, or what values are allowed and by how much. I've been changing x, y, and z by increments of 100 and not seeing anything.

here's an example picture with everything at 0. what values can I try changing, and how can I 'refresh' to see these changes?

kdlp3M9.png

arghelghlgheleg

BIGWORM

My order just went to pending fulfillment, but I'm not expecting for it to ship until June. I'm confused. Am I possibly gonna get it earlier than expected?

newsguy

Can you guys enjoying PCARS tell me your graphics settings? Not only did it make me terribly nauseated, everything in the distance looks really blurry or is shimmering.

Jams775

Can you guys enjoying PCARS tell me your graphics settings? Not only did it make me terribly nauseated, everything in the distance looks really blurry or is shimmering.

I have an 8350 4.3Ghz 16GB DDR2 RAM and a 390x 8GB.

I reset the graphics config and left it default. I think it's mostly set to all low.

It runs mostly okay but can get pretty hitchy and is definitely not smooth. I get the shimmery effect too.

I don't get nauseated by it though and I can play the game fine still.

kenmid

My order just went to pending fulfillment, but I'm not expecting for it to ship until June. I'm confused. Am I possibly gonna get it earlier than expected?

you'll probably will get it next week, I got my today and I think it went pending fullfillment last
Friday just make sure you called your credit card company to let them know that you have big charge coming.

Onemic

you'll probably will get it next week, I got my today and I think it went pending fullfillment last
Friday just make sure you called your credit card company to let them know that you have big charge coming.

It's completely random. I've had my status at pending fulfilment for over 2 weeks now.

The Rocky IV soundtrack and Audioshield were made for each other, the songs are mapped very well. Especially the song War, best mapped song I have played and it's fucking amazing... In a dumb way.

Samaritan

Hoping I can get some help in here. Just got my Vive earlier this afternoon and have been tinkering with it ever since, so far everything is going great, except for finding the sweet spot. I've yet to find the correct spot where the chromatic aberration vanishes entirely. I'm not sure if I'm just being too picky and there will always been some semblance of chromatic aberration, or if I just haven't gotten the sweet spot down right.

From what I can tell, I'm wearing the headset correctly, with the "cup" resting on the back of my head and the screen as close to my eyes as it'll allow. I've also measured and set my IPD accordingly, though I could hardly tell a difference as I adjusted it.

Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions for how to get my Vive zeroed in on the sweet spot?

Anyone experience a lighthouse losing sync after continuous play for an hour or two? Does disabling the power saving help?

I've had this happen.

Actually, if I'm completely honest, the tracking has been incredibly spotty for me over the past few weeks. The first week of owning it, everything was perfect. Now, it consistently loses tracking, or has to be completely reset because of drift. Nothing has changed in my room, at all, so I don't know what could be causing this.

I demoed it for someone today, and the tracking stopped working three times. I felt terrible about it, but luckily they didn't feel sick.

I am sure this has been answered before, but here it goes again:
I suppose that I can replace the hdmi and usb cables that go from my PC to the box with longer ones so that I can move a bit further, right?

XShagrath

I am sure this has been answered before, but here it goes again:
I suppose that I can replace the hdmi and usb cables that go from my PC to the box with longer ones so that I can move a bit further, right?
Absolutely. I've got 50' running to another room. For the USB, make sure you get an active extension, as they're not supposed to go more than 16' without a repeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0c7O_AW0-Y

I borrowed a third consumer version vive controller. Got mixed reality to work. Yeah the video is crap, but I'm pretty excited. I just need to work out all the little details now.
Ok. Until I make a big breakthrough, I'll try not to post anymore videos after this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXhS1Gk6P3o

I just really like the concept, and also that regular people can do crazy video editing and green screen stuff and mixed reality for FREE*
"Big Breakthroughs" I need to figure out:
-Forground alphamasking (currently faking it by making black transparent)
-the values of the cfg file (I'm manually draging/stretching the webcam output to match the game video. with correct cfg values I wouldn't have to do that and also just put the cfg into any game and it'd work without adjustments)
-Getting my green screen (est wednesday)

jotun?

I just got my shipping confirmation, but it's a bit weird:

http://i.imgur.com/LTATy1E.png

"When your order was sent to the warehouse for fulfillment, the product was no longer available and has been substituted with a similar product of equal or greater value."

Product Name is just listed as 11289560, where others I've seen actually say Vive and have a picture of it

Anyone else seen this? What does it mean? Am I getting a phone instead? Older model? New model?

coggy9

Neo Member
I just got my shipping confirmation, but it's a bit weird:

http://i.imgur.com/LTATy1E.png

"When your order was sent to the warehouse for fulfillment, the product was no longer available and has been substituted with a similar product of equal or greater value."

Product Name is just listed as 11289560, where others I've seen actually say Vive and have a picture of it

Anyone else seen this? What does it mean? Am I getting a phone instead? Older model? New model?

I got the same thing. I'm hoping it's just a glitch, as the only reason I can think of having another Vive unit item in their system is that it's the Vive without the preorder bonus. I guess we'll find out when they arrive.

Kysen

Broke out my racing wheel for PCars this time around and went karting. Initially getting around was difficult but then it clicked. I can't believe I skipped this class on the console version.

I thought my 780 was enough but some parts of the track framerate wobbles, immediate sensation of nausea. Funnily enough the framerate chugs in the exact same spots as PS4. Mainly around stadiums. The 1080 cant come soon enough.

Helznicht

Broke out my racing wheel for PCars this time around and went karting. Initially getting around was difficult but then it clicked. I can't believe I skipped this class on the console version.

I thought my 780 was enough but some parts of the track framerate wobbles, immediate sensation of nausea. Funnily enough the framerate chugs in the exact same spots as PS4. Mainly around stadiums. The 1080 cant come soon enough.

Yeah, it runs ok on my 970 but have to turn everything down. It looks SO bad, but is SO fun with a wheel, its all I can play. Have to play just a few races though and take a break, as it does make me car sick.

jotun?

I got the same thing. I'm hoping it's just a glitch, as the only reason I can think of having another Vive unit item in their system is that it's the Vive without the preorder bonus. I guess we'll find out when they arrive.

Is the preorder bonus just the 3 games (tilt brush, job sim, fantastic contraption)? Because I got the email with that code just now

bj00rn_

Banned

Funny you should say that. I haven't played PCars before and I had a lot of fun in VR with the 124cc karts at the kart-track.

What a shimmering mess though..

So how come some titles like PCars and Elite Dangerous has all this awful shimmering while f.ex. "theBlu" is for the most part relatively rock solid..? Is there a technical explanation for this. It's not logical to me.

This is definitely not the actual VR consumer generation for sure. We need a lot more resolution and a lot more power to drive it.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
I've had this happen.

Actually, if I'm completely honest, the tracking has been incredibly spotty for me over the past few weeks. The first week of owning it, everything was perfect. Now, it consistently loses tracking, or has to be completely reset because of drift. Nothing has changed in my room, at all, so I don't know what could be causing this.

I demoed it for someone today, and the tracking stopped working three times. I felt terrible about it, but luckily they didn't feel sick.

It´s a little bit scary, I also saw various things looking like this on Reddit. People were saying that this may coming from the hardware if I'm correct. If not, well, I hope the Vive will be updated really soon.
I wonder if the Oculus is also getting strange problem like this.

Ok. Until I make a big breakthrough, I'll try not to post anymore videos after this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXhS1Gk6P3o

I just really like the concept, and also that regular people can do crazy video editing and green screen stuff and mixed reality for FREE*
"Big Breakthroughs" I need to figure out:
-Forground alphamasking (currently faking it by making black transparent)
-the values of the cfg file (I'm manually draging/stretching the webcam output to match the game video. with correct cfg values I wouldn't have to do that and also just put the cfg into any game and it'd work without adjustments)
-Getting my green screen (est wednesday)

It's stuff like this where the robustness of Valve's Lighthouse solution for tracking really shines. I don't see why any Gen 2 consumer VR would stick with camera-based at all considering how absurdly simple and configurable this is.

Animator

Fuck HTC. People who ordered vive last week are already getting their tracking numbers and I ordered March 1st and still no word with the customer "service" jerking me around with "oh no it will totally ship soon promise" week after week.

wwm0nkey

Fuck HTC. People who ordered vive last week are already getting their tracking numbers and I ordered March 1st and still no word with the customer "service" jerking me around with "oh no it will totally ship soon promise" week after week.

Wait really? Man I should have ordered through HTC but I only have a month left till the MS store gets it so oh well.

welcome to digital river. The company really needs to just go out of business so no one ever uses them again.

TheJerit

Cancel it and reorder through the friends and family site. Check out Reddit for more info. Its been verified several times with an extremely fast turnaround from order to shipment. Qty is limited though. I couldn't believe it...

Edit: Here you go http://store.us.htc.com/store?Action=home&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=htcus&ThemeID=38797800

viveks86

Funny you should say that. I haven't played PCars before and I had a lot of fun in VR with the 124cc karts at the kart-track.

What a shimmering mess though..

So how come some titles like PCars and Elite Dangerous has all this awful shimmering while f.ex. "theBlu" is for the most part relatively rock solid..? Is there a technical explanation for this. It's not logical to me.

This is definitely not the actual VR consumer generation for sure. We need a lot more resolution and a lot more power to drive it.

Built for VR from the ground up vs bolted on VR. The textures, shading, AA, geometry, LoD will all need to be created with VR in mind. Otherwise you end up with a mess of pixels, especially in games that require you to look well into the distance.

Mazre

Mounted my lighthouses, think I"m just past 5m apart but everything started up fine. Set up my space for 3.5m x 2.5m, could probably square it out but this gives me some buffer to my walls. Still managed to bump a wall during robot repair during the disassembly part as their was so much in my field of view I lost track of the chaperone bounds.

Tried out Budget Cuts demo, very fun and tense, need to work on my throwing aim. Super satisfying and a little disturbing when you hit a bot dead on.

Went through some more lab demos, slingshot was simple but fun. Longbow was good too and surprisingly tiring.

KScorp

Has anyone used longer cables to connect their PC to the link box? I'm planning to get a 15ft HDMI and USB cables in order to get the link box closer to my play area without having to move my PC. Kind of worried that longer cables might cause problems.

XShagrath

Has anyone used longer cables to connect their PC to the link box? I'm planning to get a 15ft HDMI and USB cables in order to get the link box closer to my play area without having to move my PC. Kind of worried that longer cables might cause problems.
Someone asked this same question earlier today. I run 50' cables with no problems.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-out-of-stock-us-orders-halted-united-states/

The HTC Vive has recently become listed as “out of stock” for U.S. orders. The company says it’s no longer taking orders for the headset in the region “due to extraordinary demand.”

In a curious move, HTC has halted Vive orders to the U.S., citing high demand as the culprit. Attempting to order the headset from the company’s site today reveals an out of stock message and a pop-up which allows customers to opt-in to be notified when shipments resume.

So don't cancel anything yet if you're in US.

Exuro

Man making a controller skin is sooo simple. They just need to fix the scroll pad thing, add some names to the psd layers and it'll be perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom