• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I can't wait anymore with a vive and no PC at home: I'm buying one around a 980ti. Will I get better results replacing it ASAP with a 1080, or with a second 980ti in SLI ?

I can't wait anymore with a vive and no PC at home: I'm buying one around a 980ti. Will I get better results replacing it ASAP with a 1080, or with a second 980ti in SLI ?

You'll be better off by getting a 970 and then a 1080, or more reasonably just the 980ti. SLI isn't really a thing for VR yet, so it's not a great option if you don't like waiting.

So one thing I've had trouble with when having friends over to play is my computer is across the room from the couch where everyone else can sit "safely". I also move the computer chair more or less out of the room to have more playspace. That means if I want to do anything on the computer to control the experience I have to get up, dodge whoever is playing, and crouch in front of the computer. I have a Surface so what's the best way to control my computer from my couch through that? I'm guessing TeamViewer?

I heard that current gen SLI (meaning up to 980ti) SLI isn't worth it for VR. No idea when 1080 comes around but yeah at least I know 980ti SLI is a bad idea just for vr

hodgy100

Authorisation payment failed. But got a text from my bank to authorise the payment so I allowed it and updated my order to re attempt the payment. Payment seems to have left my account. But not had a confirmation email yet.

Could I actually get a vive within a week of ordering one. That would be pretty immense!

Sheytan

So i cleared a room for vr and i want to use longer cables does 5 meter hdmi and 5 meter usb 2.0/3.0 cable work to connect my pc to the link box.

Kahoona

No matter what I do, the base stations aren't being detected at all. They worked yesterday, but today they don't. I tried manually updating the firmware via this tutorial, but now, when I plug them in, I see the white light for a split second and then I only see a tiny red light. After a minute or so I can hear the IR sensor inside spinning really fast and emitting a hum. Am I screwed?

kenmid

I got my Vive yesterday but haven't even open it yet I had to setup a new desk to give me more room. What is best solution for me to extended the cable of the box going into the PC? I bought a pretty big desk but I wanna run my vive on the opposite side of where I have my CPU. And if do run a longer cable is that going to take away in resolution?

Has anyone figured out a solution for making the straps fit on a small head? My nephew loves the thing, and it seems to work fine for him, but there's no way to make it stay on his face.

Exuro

Cool. How do you make these?
Followed this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/skins

And if you open the psd file theres a a few layers you want to play with, like the ones in the color folder to change the main colors. The baked shadows are part of the background layer so you can for the most part just paint a color and the shadow lays over it.

Theres a few weird things though, like the scroll pad(when the touchpad turns into the scrollwheel) has a separate layer/color that doesn't have separating shadows, meaning you can't easily change the color on it. I copied/rotated the main pad over it and was able to color it like that, but lost the inner shadows that appear next to the scroll wheel. Getting that fixed to have the shadows on the background like everything else would be good.

Followed this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/skins

And if you open the psd file theres a a few layers you want to play with, like the ones in the color folder to change the main colors. The baked shadows are part of the background layer so you can for the most part just paint a color and the shadow lays over it.

Theres a few weird things though, like the scroll pad(when the touchpad turns into the scrollwheel) has a separate layer/color that doesn't have separating shadows, meaning you can't easily change the color on it. I copied/rotated the main pad over it and was able to color it like that, but lost the inner shadows that appear next to the scroll wheel. Getting that fixed to have the shadows on the background like everything else would be good.

Awesome. Thanks!

aaaaa0

I sent an email to HTC asking if I could buy some extra sets of foam face cushions.

Nope, not yet.

Any alternatives? I know about VR Cover and have some on order, but they won't ship until late June. :(

cakefoo

Has anyone figured out a solution for making the straps fit on a small head? My nephew loves the thing, and it seems to work fine for him, but there's no way to make it stay on his face.
The weight distribution might get skewed- I haven't tested it- but you can stick the side straps to the velcro up top.

OwgV8iq.jpg

Or just glue more velcro to extend the tightening range of both the top and sides.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You'll be better off by getting a 970 and then a 1080, or more reasonably just the 980ti. SLI isn't really a thing for VR yet, so it's not a great option if you don't like waiting.
Thanks for your answer. I'm buying a second hand PC (8 months old), in what seems like a heck of a deal:

Processor: i7 6700k
Mother board: Z170 Pro gaming
RAM: 2 x 8GO DDR4 corsair vengeance 2400mhz
Graphic card: MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6GB
Case: fractal r5
Power: corsair RM850i modulaire
Blower: BE QUIET Dark Rock 3
DD: Barracuda 1T ( 1000 Go)
SSD : 256go samsung 850 evo pro

Screen: Asus 24" 3d vg248qe

All this for 1600€ = $1800

It's the best deal I found, what do you think of it?

Odrion

Banned
So Elite Dangerous crashes at boot for me. And Project Cars will run but on the monitor instead of the Vive.

This is awful, send help.

lazybum

Neo Member
So Elite Dangerous crashes at boot for me. And Project Cars will run but on the monitor instead of the rift.

This is awful, send help.
Elite Dangerous was doing that for me until I started making sure I was launching the 64 bit version from the Elite launcher. Launch in VR in steam, but before putting the headset on click on the 64 bit version in the separate Elite Dangerous launcher and hit start there.

UnrealEck

What would you recommend for watching 3D videos (youtube) and so on? Virtual Desktop?

Virtual Desktop as far as I'm aware is the only thing that displays videos in 3D that you can download externally. I haven't bought it yet though since I'm sure free software like this will come shortly, maybe even by Valve.
I know someone made a little program to play 360 videos on youtube in Vive but it has no 3D and the quality isn't great.

To be honest though, I think 360/3D video in general is a bit shitty in Vive. I've never tried any other VR so not sure if there's any better elsewhere.
But most videos I've seen, the resolution is too low to make out decent detail (like faces) all that well. I've also found some videos have fucked up proportions where there's like 4 people around you and in one side they look about the right size you expect and you turn around and the other people are giant.
I've also found videos where it's hard to focus on things at specific distances or angles. It feels like you're going cross-eyed and your eye muscles are being strained.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What would you recommend for watching 3D videos (youtube) and so on? Virtual Desktop?

Yes, Virtual Desktop is still the best one for this. There are a couple of other players out there, but either they play just the videos on their own network or their interface it's too clunky.

Samaritan

Is the "sweet spot" on the Vive as small as it seems to be for me? Basically if I move my eyes even a tiny amount, things lose clarity fast and become chromatic aberrationed all to hell. This is less noticeable in games, but when I bring up the Steam interface, nothing is in focus save for the very precise center of my vision.

Has any of you requested a new download for Vorpx? How long does it take for those idiots to give you one?

What kind of company doesn't let you redownload something you paid for?

UnrealEck

Is the "sweet spot" on the Vive as small as it seems to be for me? Basically if I move my eyes even a tiny amount, things lose clarity fast and become chromatic aberrationed all to hell. This is less noticeable in games, but when I bring up the Steam interface, nothing is in focus save for the very precise center of my vision.

It's worse if you don't have the headset perfectly in the centre of your eyes. So try adjusting it until it's the biggest sweet spot.
I've only ever tried Vive but I noticed things get blurry when you keey your head still and look at them by moving your eyes to the corner/sides to see them. The further away from the centre, the blurrier it is.

Has any of you requested a new download for Vorpx? How long does it take for those idiots to give you one?

What kind of company doesn't let you redownload something you paid for?

If you can get a refund, there's a new software coming out soon that is free and does what Vorpx does.

It's worse if you don't have the headset perfectly in the centre of your eyes. So try adjusting it until it's the biggest sweet spot.
I've only ever tried Vive but I noticed things get blurry when you keey your head still and look at them by moving your eyes to the corner/sides to see them. The further away from the centre, the blurrier it is.

That's how lenses work, unfortunately. You really need to remember to move your head.

If you can get a refund, there's a new software coming out soon that is free and does what Vorpx does.

I bought it years ago, I just have to re-install to update, but I lost the .exe.

artsi

Yeah, it is small. I hope gen 2 improves it, personally I would gladly pay for higher quality lenses if they were available.

It's an issue that needs to be solved before foveated rendering becomes useful, even if the tech itself was ready.

That's how lenses work, unfortunately. You really need to remember to move your head.

*current VR lenses

No problem with my eyeglasses, 100% sharp vision all over and zero glare problems. When the HMD lenses are as good, I'm satisfied.

Samaritan

Yeah, it is small. I hope gen 2 improves it, personally I would gladly pay for higher quality lenses if they were available.

It's an issue that needs to be solved before foveated rendering becomes useful, even if the tech itself was ready.

Thanks for the response guys! I was going crazy trying to figure if it was just me or just my headset or if this is how it is for everyone. It's a shame that it's so limited as so far it's the only thing keeping me from full immersion.

Practically everything in the Steam VR overlay having significant chromatic aberration on it, even when looking straight on, made me think something was wrong. It's a good thing that's far less noticeable in games.

*current VR lenses

No problem with my eyeglasses, 100% sharp vision all over and zero glare problems. When the HMD lenses are as good, I'm satisfied.

Yeah, current lenses. Even though I doubt we'll see big improvements here. Flat lenses might do the trick, but tech is experimental right now.

Thanks for your answer. I'm buying a second hand PC (8 months old), in what seems like a heck of a deal:

Processor: i7 6700k
Mother board: Z170 Pro gaming
RAM: 2 x 8GO DDR4 corsair vengeance 2400mhz
Graphic card: MSI GTX 980Ti GAMING 6GB
Case: fractal r5
Power: corsair RM850i modulaire
Blower: BE QUIET Dark Rock 3
DD: Barracuda 1T ( 1000 Go)
SSD : 256go samsung 850 evo pro

Screen: Asus 24" 3d vg248qe

All this for 1600€ = $1800

It's the best deal I found, what do you think of it?

It's a really good PC, but you should probably ask in the PC building thread for opinions on price. I don't really have a good handle on what prices are like in different countries.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Took the gamble on Revive and purchased 4 oculus games not in the wiki yet. Airmech: Command, Fly to Kuma, Smashing the Battle, and Esper 2.

Airmech was the only one to not work, which is annoying since it's the most expensive and the one I most wanted to play, but I guess 3 out of 4 isn't bad, and someone needed to test it for the wiki.

Really would like to see Airmech ported to vive, but it doesn't sound like the developers are interested in doing so.

Waikis

Took the gamble on Revive and purchased 4 oculus games not in the wiki yet. Airmech: Command, Fly to Kuma, Smashing the Battle, and Esper 2.

Airmech was the only one to not work, which is annoying since it's the most expensive and the one I most wanted to play, but I guess 3 out of 4 isn't bad, and someone needed to test it for the wiki.

Really would like to see Airmech ported to vive, but it doesn't sound like the developers are interested in doing so.

Theres a compatibility list..

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki/Compatibility-list

Also i would defense grid 2 as unplayable as it crashes every few mins.

So there's a Kickstarter going on right now for a game called Rescuties that looks like it could use some love.

5kHrQpF.gif

LOfKwSI.gif

wekbIjH.gif

Rescuties! VR will have you dashing around your living room catching babies, cradling pets, and tossing them to safety. Through a variety of ever-crazier emergency situations, your skills will be put to the test in your quest to save the most cuties in the fastest time. It's easy to play, but tough to master.

• Ten scenarios, each crazier than then next! From busy city streets, to thousands of feet above the Grand Canyon, to a cruise ship taking on water!
  • Propel parachutes to panicked passengers! Loft life preservers to sinking swimmers!
  • Stand suspended between helicopters! On the back of a Cessna! Chasing a school bus! Scrambling around someone's back yard!
  • Rescue babies! Puppies! Koalas! Baby chicks! Baby babies! Giant babies!
  • Hunt for all sorts of hidden easter eggs, from the Magic Mushroom to the Cutie Combiner!
  • ...it's a VR arcade game about helping people and animals out in crazy scenarios!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674610728/rescuties-vr-save-the-day-with-your-htc-vive-oculu

There's a playable preview build too.

Waikis

I know, I was the one to update it with those 4 games.

Ah, could have sworn airmech was already in the unplayable list when I was looking at the compatibility last week.
Edit: woops you also mentioned the wiki in the original post too! It's still early in Australia sorry

Odrion

Banned
So how do you make the lighthouses stop buzzing after use? I was told there was an option inside the Steam VR's "general" settings but it's not there.

Finally beat Uncharted 4 so I'm on the Vive again. Got a chance to delve into some Call of the Starseed. All I have to say is wow, the developers did a really good job. I must admit when I saw the trailer I was really, really underwhelmed. But after getting into the world and seeing their traversal/locomotion implementation I am a believer. I also think the sound design, in addition to the overall game world, really ties this game together.

Zechs

I just bought a new PC and I'm ready to experience this but I honestly don't want to have to wait until June for it to ship. Has anyone gotten theirs way earlier than expected or is it hopeless now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom