• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samaritan

My order says pending fulfillment now.

How close am I guys?

Could be days, could be weeks. It's best to think of HTC fulfilling orders as a lottery system cause that's how it feels. My order page was stuck at "Pending Fulfillment" for over three weeks before getting my shipping email earlier this week. The real way to know for sure is when they put a pre-auth on your credit card. When that happens, it's safe to assume your Vive is coming soon.

Jesus christ at those prices. A single controller is $120? A lighthouse beacon is $130?

Funny to say this, but thank goodness I have STEMs coming.

I agree those prices are crazy. I wonder how long till they come down. Also makes me wonder what the price of the touch controller will be and if it is cheaper if Valve will lower the price accordingly.

Krejlooc

Banned
I agree those prices are crazy. I wonder how long till they come down. Also makes me wonder what the price of the touch controller will be and if it is cheaper if Valve will lower the price accordingly.

I think somewhere in the $150-$200 range.

Suddenly the price of the new STEM system ($199) doesn't seem so crazy anymore.

Bookoo

Jesus christ at those prices. A single controller is $120? A lighthouse beacon is $130?

Funny to say this, but thank goodness I have STEMs coming.

Yea it sucks. I really was hoping they would be more reasonable so I could mount them to my wall and have some back ups for travelling.

Defect

Could be days, could be weeks. It's best to think of HTC fulfilling orders as a lottery system cause that's how it feels. My order page was stuck at "Pending Fulfillment" for over three weeks before getting my shipping email earlier this week. The real way to know for sure is when they put a pre-auth on your credit card. When that happens, it's safe to assume your Vive is coming soon.
Ah okay. I had to cancel my April 17 order yesterday and re order because of a failed charge. I used PayPal credit this time and it shows pending.

"Suddenly the price of the new STEM system ($199) doesn't seem so crazy anymore."

This doesn't seem to be the price of the STEM any more, so the website shows? They're listing a 2 tracker bundle with the controllers, tracking modules, and base for 695 USD.

And that's ignoring the fact that Sixense has been blasting through projected ship dates like a wet paper bag.

Zalusithix

I would think a controller would be more expensive than a lighthouse

The lighthouses have two motor assemblies in them, lasers, LEDs, a wireless chip, LED display, etc. They're high precision mechanical devices, so it's no surprise they're at least as expensive as a controller. That said, both are a bit more than I expected. I was figuring somewhere in the $80-100 range. It'll be interesting to see what the Oculus Touch controllers come in at. If those prices are anything to go by, then the folks with a Rift might have a bit of a sticker shock coming up.

Also, different nose pieces? Interesting that they didn't pack one of each in with the Vive like they did with the face cushions. Speaking of which, at $25 for 2, I see no point in putting in an order for VR covers.

The lighthouses have two motor assemblies in them, lasers, LEDs, a wireless chip, LED display, etc. They're high precision mechanical devices, so it's no surprise they're at least as expensive as a controller. That said, both are a bit more than I expected. I was figuring somewhere in the $80-100 range. It'll be interesting to see what the Oculus Touch controllers come in at. If those prices are anything to go by, then the folks with a Rift might have a bit of a sticker shock coming up.

Also, different nose pieces? Interesting that they didn't pack one of each in with the Vive like they did with the face cushions. Speaking of which, at $25 for 2, I see no point in putting in an order for VR covers.

Really though? I remember when we were all speculating prices for this stuff, people were constantly downplaying the extra cost the lighthouses would add.

Wallach

Ordered a set of the nose things since someone posted that they fit perfectly in the Rift as well. Figured I'd grab 'em in case I find the "nose gap" distracting, though I have a giant beak where most people have noses so maybe I won't see much there...

Also a bit surprised at the cost of the replacement lighthouses and controllers. Is that price for a single controller?

Krejlooc

Banned
"Suddenly the price of the new STEM system ($199) doesn't seem so crazy anymore."

This doesn't seem to be the price of the STEM any more, so the website shows? They're listing a 2 tracker bundle with the controllers, tracking modules, and base for 695 USD.

That's outdated pricing. They clarified in the most recent kickstarter updates. The old system, the one you're quoting at, is too expensive to produce save for kickstarter backers, they actually cost $995 at-cost for 2 controllers + 2 trackers. Their new system is a miniture, cheaper version of the same system, called StemVR, and sells with 2 controllers and 2 trackers for $399, or 2 trackers alone for $199.

Ordered a set of the nose things since someone posted that they fit perfectly in the Rift as well. Figured I'd grab 'em in case I find the "nose gap" distracting, though I have a giant beak where most people have noses so maybe I won't see much there...

giphy.gif

Don't know if that's what you meant exactly but I have a big nose too... :p Let me know how it works!

Zalusithix

Really though? I remember when we were all speculating prices for this stuff, people were constantly downplaying the extra cost the lighthouses would add.

I can't speak for speculation, especially speculation made before everything was torn down. I mean, just take a look at the tear down of a lighthouse:

From both a mechanical and electrical standpoint, it's at least as complex as any controller.

magnumpy

That's outdated pricing. They clarified in the most recent kickstarter updates. The old system, the one you're quoting at, is too expensive to produce save for kickstarter backers, they actually cost $995 at-cost for 2 controllers + 2 trackers. Their new system is a miniture, cheaper version of the same system, called StemVR, and sells with 2 controllers and 2 trackers for $399, or 2 trackers alone for $199.

lol, video gaming has become a very expensive habit :)

good to hear that is being addressed at least somewhat!

Samaritan

Ah okay. I had to cancel my April 17 order yesterday and re order because of a failed charge. I used PayPal credit this time and it shows pending.

From what I've gleaned from this thread, it sounds like people who used PayPal are getting theirs a lot faster than credit card customers. That could be completely circumstantial, but that's definitely the sense I've gotten. Hope your's ships out soon!

"That's outdated pricing. They clarified in the most recent kickstarter updates. The old system, the one you're quoting at, is too expensive to produce save for kickstarter backers, they actually cost $995 at-cost for 2 controllers + 2 trackers. Their new system is a miniture, cheaper version of the same system, called StemVR, and sells with 2 controllers and 2 trackers for $399, or 2 trackers alone for $199."

I see. I guess the cost issue is the main reason they've been so delayed in getting Stem to market then?

Krejlooc

Banned
"That's outdated pricing. They clarified in the most recent kickstarter updates. The old system, the one you're quoting at, is too expensive to produce save for kickstarter backers, they actually cost $995 at-cost for 2 controllers + 2 trackers. Their new system is a miniture, cheaper version of the same system, called StemVR, and sells with 2 controllers and 2 trackers for $399, or 2 trackers alone for $199."

I see. I guess the cost issue is the main reason they've been so delayed in getting Stem to market then?

Their latest issue at least. Early on they spent actual time engineering a better tracking solution, then got stuck for a while trying to get their design to pass FCC cert. Now, they have a working product that passed FCC cert, and are trying to figure out how to produce it reasonably. Their early design would have actually cost $5000 a unit to produce. They're actually a-ok with kickstarter backers asking for refunds, because they're going to be losing about $700 per kickstarter order.

Their last update was lengthy and included their short term and long term goals. They've secured funding to produce the kickstarter kits, and have miniaturized it with an emphasis on mobile to bring cost down. Compare this prettied up render of the kickstarter edition (the actual 3D printed protos are even larger:

tMBqHFX.jpg

to their new kit:

ETuzCpA.jpg

They claim they are finally actually manufacturing them, at an actual plant, and will post updates through the manufacturing process, and will ship in october (knock on wood). I have no delusions that they will corner the market, I just want mine because it can act like additional SteamVR controllers and that's actually really useful for quite a number of things. Example - I can pretty easily write a program that could use 8 trackers (Vive Headset, 2 Vive controllers, plus 5 STEM trackers) to do some rudimentary mocap for skeletal animations, or using one stem tracker for an Mixed reality broadcast, or even using the STEM system as a way to do bootleg 2-player Vive development.

In other words, I still see a lot of utility in their product as a developer, and thus I still want mine.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So has anyone been able to handle room scale Windlands without struggling to not fall over or get sick?

It's really hard to imagine a more motion sickness inducing game than that. I got used to the walking and jumping stuff fairly quickly, but flying through the air in one direction while having to physically move your body in a different direction while finding and lining up your next hookshot is very intense. It's the only time this thing made me feel sick.

I can handle it with a Xbox controller, but it's hard to give up free aiming with the Vive controllers.

Kysen

So has anyone been able to handle room scale Windlands without struggling to not fall over or get sick?

It's really hard to imagine a more motion sickness inducing game than that. I got used to the walking and jumping stuff fairly quickly, but flying through the air in one direction while having to physically move your body in a different direction while finding and lining up your next hookshot is very intense. It's the only time this thing made me feel sick.

I can handle it with a Xbox controller, but it's hard to give up free aiming with the Vive controllers.

Its why i only play it sitting down with the wands. I just cant keep my balance while standing. The disconnect between motion in game and real life is too great.

Starviper

I can play it standing fine but I do get a bit of motion sickness; it's the only game that's done it to me so far.

Old news but I refunded my copy. The motion sickness when playing it the way it was more or less meant to be played (standing) was too much for me. And for a lot of people. Even a little bit of motion sickness makes it not worth owning. We don't play games to make us sick.

Sheytan

So i cleared a room for vr and i want to use longer cables does 5 meter hdmi and 5 meter usb 2.0/3.0 cable work to connect my pc to the link box.

So i bough a cheap 5 meters 1.4 hdmi cable and it didn't work, so i borrowed a high end 4 meters hdmi cable from a friend and it worked perfectly.

sigh now i have to buy a expensive high end cable

SimplexPL

No problem, I'm glad it helped!
I also tested the latest Doom drivers - uninstalled 362.00 using DDU and then installed latest drivers. VR works.

I only had a weird problem in theBlu Reef Migration - at one point framerate dropped to 40s for no reason (this was around the moment that jellyfish appeared en masse) - the GPU usage was below 50% (it was actually dropping along the framerate) and CPU usage was 19% (i7 6700K). The drop was occurring for over a minute, then subsided. I have no idea what caused it

UnrealEck

I notice in Project Cars, the window on the monitor is able to display the Rivatuner performance overlay. It says 45 FPS in that when I'm getting full zero stutter performance inside the headset. Obviously it's 45x2=90 for the Vive, but I'm wondering how it's measuring the 45. Where's that 45 coming from? Because each eye is still 90hz, right? Surely it's not that reprojection thing that's merging every frame or whatever.

viveks86

I notice in Project Cars, the window on the monitor is able to display the Rivatuner performance overlay. It says 45 FPS in that when I'm getting full zero stutter performance inside the headset. Obviously it's 45x2=90 for the Vive, but I'm wondering how it's measuring the 45. Where's that 45 coming from? Because each eye is still 90hz, right? Surely it's not that reprojection thing that's merging every frame or whatever.

It is that reprojection thing. OpenVR drops the fps to 45 with reprojection if you aren't able to hit 90.

So i bough a cheap 5 meters 1.4 hdmi cable and it didn't work, so i borrowed a high end 4 meters hdmi cable from a friend and it worked perfectly.

sigh now i have to buy a expensive high end cable

You just need a good hdmi cable, not an expensive one. It just need to have enough bandwidth.

UnrealEck

It is that reprojection thing. OpenVR drops the fps to 45 with reprojection if you aren't able to hit 90.

Cool. So I have some tests to do then to see how the game looks at 45 with OVR's smoothing versus a native 90 frames a second.
To be honest when it was saying 45 I thought it was just running at the proper full 90.

What's bugging me is that when it was saying 45 FPS, my GPU was only being used at about 70-odd percent load. Maybe the game devs have room to improve the performance.

Helznicht

Cool. So I have some tests to do then to see how the game looks at 45 with OVR's smoothing versus a native 90 frames a second.
To be honest when it was saying 45 I thought it was just running at the proper full 90.

Its pretty good, but you can tell when passing cars and if you look close at your hands when they are moving. Try a game with just you and another with lots of cars, you can tell (at least on a 970).

UnrealEck

Its pretty good, but you can tell when passing cars and if you look close at your hands when they are moving. Try a game with just you and another with lots of cars, you can tell (at least on a 970).

I've noticed at times there was juddering or jerking motion. That's when I turned some settings down a bit. But it smoothed it out, however it was still saying 45 in Rivatuner.

Does SteamVR have that performance tool for other games in VR that we saw with the robot repair demo?

I'm guessing that extra GPU power that's not being used is only because even using that extra power it wouldn't be enough for 90 FPS.

viveks86

What's bugging me is that when it was saying 45 FPS, my GPU was only being used at about 70-odd percent load. Maybe the game devs have room to improve the performance.

That's because hitting 45 doesn't require the full power of your gpu. Unlike ATW on the Rift, OpenVR doesn't render at rates between 45 and 90. So if your card doesn't hit native 90, it is bound to be underutilized

Does SteamVR have that performance tool for other games in VR that we saw with the robot repair demo?

Nope. Even that robot repair demo performance test was not the final version that we got in the lab. The lab version doesn't do multigpu, for example.

Defect

Wtf I went to check my order history and it says I have no orders. Can't find anything on findyourorder either. Glitch or should I be worried?

UnrealEck

That's because hitting 45 doesn't require the full power of your gpu. Unlike ATW on the Rift, OpenVR doesn't render at rates between 45 and 90. So if your card doesn't hit native 90, it is bound to be underutilized

Yeah that's what I thought.
More GPU or less graphical details is the only options then.

DS2X is something I feel I need to keep or it looks really jagged in the distance.

Helznicht

Yeah that's what I thought.
More GPU or less graphical details is the only options then.

DS2X is something I feel I need to keep or it looks really jagged in the distance.

DS2X doesnt seem like it does much of anything for me. Even the much higher levels seem to have limited effect. The only thing I think really works in VR (from testing with Elite D) is Super Sampling. So I think we need rigs that can run PCars at 4Kx90fps to get those backgrounds cleaned up. If thats true we are likely 2 gens away from being able to do that at ultra settings.

Trouble

Banned
Their latest issue at least. Early on they spent actual time engineering a better tracking solution, then got stuck for a while trying to get their design to pass FCC cert. Now, they have a working product that passed FCC cert, and are trying to figure out how to produce it reasonably. Their early design would have actually cost $5000 a unit to produce. They're actually a-ok with kickstarter backers asking for refunds, because they're going to be losing about $700 per kickstarter order.

Their last update was lengthy and included their short term and long term goals. They've secured funding to produce the kickstarter kits, and have miniaturized it with an emphasis on mobile to bring cost down. Compare this prettied up render of the kickstarter edition (the actual 3D printed protos are even larger:

tMBqHFX.jpg

to their new kit:

ETuzCpA.jpg

They claim they are finally actually manufacturing them, at an actual plant, and will post updates through the manufacturing process, and will ship in october (knock on wood). I have no delusions that they will corner the market, I just want mine because it can act like additional SteamVR controllers and that's actually really useful for quite a number of things. Example - I can pretty easily write a program that could use 8 trackers (Vive Headset, 2 Vive controllers, plus 5 STEM trackers) to do some rudimentary mocap for skeletal animations, or using one stem tracker for an Mixed reality broadcast, or even using the STEM system as a way to do bootleg 2-player Vive development.

In other words, I still see a lot of utility in their product as a developer, and thus I still want mine.

Seems neat and all but doesn't this thing live or die based on developers coding in support for it? I look at their webpage and they don't have any developers or games listed as planning on supporting it. Seems like a chicken & egg problem, developers won't want to spend the time to support a 3rd party add-on until a decent chunk of users own it, users won't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a product until a decent chunk of games support it.

Odrion

Banned
So I have an issue where things that hit or instantly pressures down hard on my head can activate severe pain. The Vive is actually very comfortable and easy to get on, but the goddamn wire keeps twisting around the headset and hitting the back of the head that's where the right outside of the second "cord loop".

I want to think of a work around, but I'm out of ideas. I could pull all the cords of the loop and have them hang down forward but that shifts the weight of the headset all the way to the front.

Anyone have any ideas?

Durante

I just got to ~ 24000 points in Holopoint, which is over twice my previous highscore.

The funny part is that it could have been more -- I didn't really die due to the difficulty ramp-up (though that gets pretty intense in level 20+), but rather from exhaustion causing me to simply not move as quickly as I did at the beginning :p

Holopoint puts the "sport" in e-sport.

Krejlooc

Banned
Seems neat and all but doesn't this thing live or die based on developers coding in support for it? I look at their webpage and they don't have any developers or games listed as planning on supporting it. Seems like a chicken & egg problem, developers won't want to spend the time to support a 3rd party add-on until a decent chunk of users own it, users won't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a product until a decent chunk of games support it.

sixense controllers are seen as either vive controllers or oculus touch controllers.

Or more accurately to say that steamvr, openvr, and osvr all abstract motion controllers into an open standard. So if you make a game that uses the vive controller, it automatically works with the sixense controllers. In fact, oculus rift owners have been trying vive games using the Razer hydras this exact way.

CaLe

I just got to ~ 24000 points in Holopoint, which is over twice my previous highscore.

The funny part is that it could have been more -- I didn't really die due to the difficulty ramp-up (though that gets pretty intense in level 20+), but rather from exhaustion causing me to simply not move as quickly as I did at the beginning :p

Holopoint puts the "sport" in e-sport.

Besides Audioshield and Holopoint, what other games are you playing ?

Durante

Besides Audioshield and Holopoint, what other games are you playing ?
Right now? Dark Souls 3 and Stellaris ;)

In all seriousness, having finished up Water Bears (I still want DLC for this one), Vanishing Realms and a few other smaller experiences, in single-player room-scale VR I currently only play Audioshield and Holopoint regularly. Occasionally I'll also do a level or two in Fantastic Contraption, and when people are over we play some Cloudlands Minigolf.

CaLe

Right now? Dark Souls 3 and Stellaris ;)

In all seriousness, having finished up Water Bears (I still want DLC for this one), Vanishing Realms and a few other smaller experiences, in single-player room-scale VR I currently only play Audioshield and Holopoint regularly. Occasionally I'll also do a level or two in Fantastic Contraption, and when people are over we play some Cloudlands Minigolf.

Going to give Holopoint a try, I like the idea of breaking a sweat (or at least being active) while having fun. How's Cloudlands Minigolf content-wise ?

On aonther note, I'm thinking of trying Subnautica with Revive.

Edit: And yeah, I meant VR, haha :)

So I have an issue where things that hit or instantly pressures down hard on my head can activate severe pain. The Vive is actually very comfortable and easy to get on, but the goddamn wire keeps twisting around the headset and hitting the back of the head that's where the right outside of the second "cord loop".

I want to think of a work around, but I'm out of ideas. I could pull all the cords of the loop and have them hang down forward but that shifts the weight of the headset all the way to the front.

Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe something to try.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4fw6on/vive_cable_mod_bungie_hook_and_others_removes/?

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm not an artist, so I'm mainly using the free infinity blade content and some free models until my buddies come thru with some original content, but its coming together:

aqRPZKX.jpg

Left is the remake, right is the original, obviously. Ignore the stock gun, I use a blank fps template to make the level so that I don't screw with my vr gameplay template.

Finally got around to giving Windlands a try and luckily it doesn't make me sick at all. Glad I tried it because it's pretty fun and one of the more unique titles right now.

I'm not an artist, so I'm mainly using the free infinity blade content and some free models until my buddies come thru with some original content, but its coming together:

aqRPZKX.jpg

Left is the remake, right is the original, obviously. Ignore the stock gun, I use a blank fps template to make the level so that I don't screw with my vr gameplay template.

Awesome. Can't wait to give it a try.

BrettWeir

I had incredibly high expectations going into VR for the first time. What I pictured in my head wasn't really what I got. I pictured everything to be a LOT smaller. This thing has surpassed all of my expectations. Sure there is the "sweet spot", but I find that once I'm in a game, I don't have any issues at all. One of the best things about it (for me) is the fact that I can use it without my glasses!!! Glasses scratching/scuffing the lenses was one of my biggest worries.

So far, here are my favorites:

HordeZ: Holy hell. I don't see how this game isn't getting more praise. It's incredible. It's the first game that got me sweating and my heartbeat up. Intense.

Final Approach: Such a joy to play. It's adorable to sit above the airfield and see everything below you. The planes/helicopters buzzing around your head brings me pure joy, almost to childhood levels.

Audioshield: I could see myself liking this game a LOT more if I could map to my iTunes library. It can't seem to find the music in the directory. Definitely fun though.

Holopoint: Very fun, although I suck at it. Can't really say anything about it that other people already haven't.

Vanishing Realms: Absolutely loving this game. It's what I always wanted in an RPG on a fundamental level. The pacing is great, the graphics are incredibly charming. It's just pure fun.

The Lab: Longbow and Xortex are the definite standouts. As with everyone else, I wish there were more of these two gems!!

Other games/experiences:

Project Cars: HUGE letdown for me, but only because this was (so far) the only thing that has made me nauseous. I played the first kart track with wheel and pedals. Within 3 minutes I got sick. I really wish I could be ok with this one :(

Apollo 11: The sense in this was great. I think the biggest problem i had was the vast amount of blacks used (obviously), which really showed that the screens really have to come a long way. The parts
in the cockpit
were my favorite parts.

Job Simulator: The family loved this as an intro to VR. It's also incredibly charming. I personally found myself bored after about 15 minutes in it.

I can't wait to see what the future brings.

HordeZ: Holy hell. I don't see how this game isn't getting more praise. It's incredible. It's the first game that got me sweating and my heartbeat up. Intense.

Yeah, I got around to this today. Only did the first level but it was pretty damn awesome. I felt like an action star by the end dual wielding a pistol and katana. I bet it's even better with co-op.

Absinthe

Project Cars: HUGE letdown for me, but only because this was (so far) the only thing that has made me nauseous. I played the first kart track with wheel and pedals. Within 3 minutes I got sick. I really wish I could be ok with this one :(

What video card do you have?

I have a 970 and PCars runs like absolute garbage on those first kart tracks in career mode. The quick races are fine but once there are other cars on the screen everything starts to judder and I immediately get sim sick. Really disappointing because I have been putting off playing the campaign in order to complete it in VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom