• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant

I'm not an artist, so I'm mainly using the free infinity blade content and some free models until my buddies come thru with some original content, but its coming together:

aqRPZKX.jpg

Left is the remake, right is the original, obviously. Ignore the stock gun, I use a blank fps template to make the level so that I don't screw with my vr gameplay template.
Oh man, am I a sucker for Goldeneye.

Trouble

Banned
sixense controllers are seen as either vive controllers or oculus touch controllers.

Or more accurately to say that steamvr, openvr, and osvr all abstract motion controllers into an open standard. So if you make a game that uses the vive controller, it automatically works with the sixense controllers. In fact, oculus rift owners have been trying vive games using the Razer hydras this exact way.

With the controllers, but not the limb trackers. Devs need to build in support for those. That's what I was getting at. It's a tough sell to drop several hundred dollars without it.

Revive just got updated with Steam integration so you have a much easier way to launch games now.

Sweeet.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases/tag/0.5

Hell yeah, gonna update in a bit.

bodine1231

Well, Friday I got my Vive in and spent the weekend playing,demoing and comparing it with the CV1. I vastly prefer the comfort and ergonomics of the Oculus to the Vive,I like the way that the Rift just barely touches your face where the Vive has to be smashed on to stay put. Because of that, I sweat way more when wearing it and the foam insert is nearly dripping after each session. The optics are about the same as far as screen door but the Vive does seem to have a wider FOV, however the sweet spot is much smaller than the Oculus. I find myself adjusting way more than the Rift for it to stay in focus.
Having said that,I did enjoy my time more with the Vive. Roomscale and the controllers are just a more compelling experience than using the Xbox controller. I just wish I could use the Vive controllers and roomscale with the Oculus headset.

I also demoed the Vive to two of my friends who also got to try out my CV1 when I got it last month and they were WAY more impressed with the Vive.
They felt that being able to stand and walk around,as well as manipulating objects in VR with the controllers were huge. I only showed them a handful of titles but the big standouts were Space Pirate Trainer,Windlands and the Archery game in the Lab. One of them refused to quit out of Windlands he was having so much fun (even though he kept falling and getting lost).

I decided to sell the CV1 (for an Acer Predator X34 monitor) and keep the Vive. While the Oculus is WAY more comfortable and the built in headphones are quite nice, using the Vive controllers in game and being able to walk around feels next level.

I still have the touch controllers pre-ordered just in case I change my mind later down the road but for now there is no point in having both units,especially since ReVive lets you play a majority of the exclusives.

Odrion

Banned
I wish the Vive had some sort of sight calibration program. I keep making adjustments and I can't seem to find a sweetspot.

Soi-Fong

Well, Friday I got my Vive in and spent the weekend playing,demoing and comparing it with the CV1. I vastly prefer the comfort and ergonomics of the Oculus to the Vive,I like the way that the Rift just barely touches your face where the Vive has to be smashed on to stay put. Because of that, I sweat way more when wearing it and the foam insert is nearly dripping after each session. The optics are about the same as far as screen door but the Vive does seem to have a wider FOV, however the sweet spot is much smaller than the Oculus. I find myself adjusting way more than the Rift for it to stay in focus.
Having said that,I did enjoy my time more with the Vive. Roomscale and the controllers are just a more compelling experience than using the Xbox controller. I just wish I could use the Vive controllers and roomscale with the Oculus headset.

I also demoed the Vive to two of my friends who also got to try out my CV1 when I got it last month and they were WAY more impressed with the Vive.
They felt that being able to stand and walk around,as well as manipulating objects in VR with the controllers were huge. I only showed them a handful of titles but the big standouts were Space Pirate Trainer,Windlands and the Archery game in the Lab. One of them refused to quit out of Windlands he was having so much fun (even though he kept falling and getting lost).

I decided to sell the CV1 (for an Acer Predator X34 monitor) and keep the Vive. While the Oculus is WAY more comfortable and the built in headphones are quite nice, using the Vive controllers in game and being able to walk around feels next level.

I still have the touch controllers pre-ordered just in case I change my mind later down the road but for now there is no point in having both units,especially since ReVive lets you play a majority of the exclusives.

This is making me hesitate on opening up my Oculus Rift honestly... I've been debating whether to just sell it. I'm leaning more towards selling as well since I pre-ordered PSVR as well and like you guys said, a lot of the Rift games are now working on the Vive.

Trouble

Banned
Does the Vive application actually do anything? Will it hurt if I uninstall it?

E: Uninstalled it and nothing broke so far.

Zaptruder

Banned
Picked up HordeZ off the recommendation of Neogaf (in one of these VR threads)... It's ok. But the flaming skulls... anyone know how to deal with those? Can't seem to kill them with bullets. And they certainly don't come close enough for a melee attack.

bodine1231

This is making me hesitate on opening up my Oculus Rift honestly... I've been debating whether to just sell it. I'm leaning more towards selling as well since I pre-ordered PSVR as well and like you guys said, a lot of the Rift games are now working on the Vive.

Do you have a Vive? If so there really isn't a reason to own both right now. Maybe when touch is released but by that time Rifts (should) be easy to get.

Waikis

Have you tried any games in Dolphin VR? If so, how well do they work in VR? Im especially curious about Metroid.

I've only tried wind waker and xenoblade.
Wind waker works fine. Hell, you can even walk around like it's a room scale game.
Xenoblade was lagging a bit, I'll have to play around with the settings.

Apparently, Double Dash works really well too.

collige

Banned
Have you tried any games in Dolphin VR? If so, how well do they work in VR? Im especially curious about Metroid.

I've tried quite a few. Results are all over the place. I'm didn't like Metroid Prime 2 (the Gamecube version) much at all. Samus' gun is huge and the control scheme ended up making me slightly nauseuous. Throw some UI issues on top of that and it's not really something I can imagine myself putting too much time into. F-Zero, on the other hand, was fucking amazing.

CaLe

Anyone tried Subnautica ? I want to get it, but I'm debating getting it on steam or the oculus store (with Revive 0.5 support).

Trojan

Is Project Cars worth getting at this point? I had heard the initial iteration left some things to be desired, but I've heard some positive impressions recently. I'm not a big racing enthusiast but playing a full game like that in VR sounds like a cool experience.

Starviper

Is Project Cars worth getting at this point? I had heard the initial iteration left some things to be desired, but I've heard some positive impressions recently. I'm not a big racing enthusiast but playing a full game like that in VR sounds like a cool experience.

I picked it up during the humble bundle sale for 20$, the VR implementation seems perfectly fine when I played but i've only put like 10 minutes into the game; been too busy.

cakefoo

Picked up HordeZ off the recommendation of Neogaf (in one of these VR threads)... It's ok. But the flaming skulls... anyone know how to deal with those? Can't seem to kill them with bullets. And they certainly don't come close enough for a melee attack.
They have a shield. When they start shooting fire, their shields deactivate.

"Is Project Cars worth getting at this point? I had heard the initial iteration left some things to be desired, but I've heard some positive impressions recently. I'm not a big racing enthusiast but playing a full game like that in VR sounds like a cool experience."

Previously, using Revive, there were performance issues and pop-in issues. Now with official support it's much smoother and the pop-in issue is gone (or rather, much less significant). It still requires a more than recent PC though. It slayed my aging 2500k@4.4/GTX780 with everything on low/off and the monitor window resolution dropped to 640x480.

cheezcake

It's not bad, as long as you have a full wheel setup you'll probably enjoy it, but it's also not the most fun I've had in a racing game, and it's chock full of aliasing, the environment looks like a PS1 game at times.

Odrion

Banned
I want to play Project Cars very badly but when I launch it in SteamVR it runs on the monitor but it doesn't get projected into the Vive.

Also is Elite Dangerous suppose to this... Troubled on the Vive? Things at a distance look really chunky and blocky, and there's this weird "glow" or blur that occurs where I can notice the spiral cut in the lenses. Also things just look really bad unless you look at it dead on.

The rest of the stuff I've played on Vive is fine. The Lab looks gorgeous and flawless. But Elite Dangerous just looks so... bad.

artsi

There's some random wiki I found that shows how you can do it(could be coimplete bs)

VR support for PCSX2 would be amazing

Looks like it's to just emulate in-game controls with headtracking (like VorpX does), so not comparable to DolphinVR or PPSSPP VR unless the game already has a free floating camera.

DolphinVR / PPSSPP VR creates an actual camera so you can look around the scene as a "god", even if the game does not support that natively.

I would love if there was an actual VR fork, I played Persona 2 with PPSSPP VR and it was pretty awesome.

Waikis

I want to play Project Cars very badly but when I launch it in SteamVR it runs on the monitor but it doesn't get projected into the Vive.

Also is Elite Dangerous suppose to this... Troubled on the Vive? Things at a distance look really chunky and blocky, and there's this weird "glow" or blur that occurs where I can notice the spiral cut in the lenses. Also things just look really bad unless you look at it dead on.

The rest of the stuff I've played on Vive is fine. The Lab looks gorgeous and flawless. But Elite Dangerous just looks so... bad.

Yeah, this is a known issue. Devs are working on it.

One thing I really want to know is if there have been any comparisons between rift and vive comfort in the context of heavy movement. For example, how well would a Rift headset stay on while playing holopoint vs the Vive. I duck dip dive and doge a lot in that game and the vive stays on my head just fine. Surprisingly well actually especially while whipping my head back and forth pretty quickly, I am always impressed at how well it stays on. would the rift need more adjustment than normal (ie the comfortable seated non-roomscale adjustment that the majority of rift owners use atm.) in order to stay on one's head as well as the vive?

deadfolk

Anyone tried Subnautica ? I want to get it, but I'm debating getting it on steam or the oculus store (with Revive 0.5 support).

I tried it, but even on lowest quality settings it seems to drop a lot of frames (flashes to grey) - this is on a 980ti / i7-4770k. Haven't tried it on 0.5 of ReVive yet, though.

Afaik, there is literally no advantage to getting the version from the Oculus store. Plus it's unknown if the Oculus version will have Vive support when they release it. No reason to think it wouldn't (it would probably be more work for them to split it), but you never know .

derFeef

I was instantly getting sick with Solus Project, wow... Not recommended as of now. Will write my Vive impressions in a few days as I don't have that much time. But so far I am a little disappointed.

One thing I really want to know is if there have been any comparisons between rift and vive comfort in the context of heavy movement. For example, how well would a Rift headset stay on while playing holopoint vs the Vive. I duck dip dive and doge a lot in that game and the vive stays on my head just fine. Surprisingly well actually especially while whipping my head back and forth pretty quickly, I am always impressed at how well it stays on. would the rift need more adjustment than normal (ie the comfortable seated non-roomscale adjustment that the majority of rift owners use atm.) in order to stay on one's head as well as the vive?
I think that falls under comfort when people talk about it. So rift > vive.

I've used the welding mask frame mod on the vive and now it sticks in place a lot better. Basically if you lean forward and look straight down, a normal vive will hang away from nose, towards top of head direction and thus it'd get blurry. the welding mask frame mod keeps my vive in place.

BrettWeir

What video card do you have?

I have a 970 and PCars runs like absolute garbage on those first kart tracks in career mode. The quick races are fine but once there are other cars on the screen everything starts to judder and I immediately get sim sick. Really disappointing because I have been putting off playing the campaign in order to complete it in VR.

980TI. :(

If you can afford it and have the space keep both, but if you can only keep one the Vive is the better option at this time. The Vive is the whole package and offers a more compelling and immersive experience.

artsi

What video card do you have?

I have a 970 and PCars runs like absolute garbage on those first kart tracks in career mode. The quick races are fine but once there are other cars on the screen everything starts to judder and I immediately get sim sick. Really disappointing because I have been putting off playing the campaign in order to complete it in VR.

I think there are some bugs / specific configurations affecting performance, people with 980ti are saying they're getting a lot of frame drops but I can run it around 100 - 120fps on high settings, depending on weather / car count etc. but generally staying well over 90fps.

collige

Banned
I've tried quite a few. Results are all over the place. I'm didn't like Metroid Prime 2 (the Gamecube version) much at all. Samus' gun is huge and the control scheme ended up making me slightly nauseuous. Throw some UI issues on top of that and it's not really something I can imagine myself putting too much time into. F-Zero, on the other hand, was fucking amazing.

A follow-up to this:
Here are some other Dolphin VR thoughts. Keep in mind that I haven't messed with the VR settings too much (they seem to be very much geared towards the Rift) and I only have a GTX 670 for the time being, so YMMV with regards to performance.

RE4: 30FPS cap + aggressive camera rotation = no fun. Cutscene are totally fucked up as well
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: I couldn't hold 60FPS during City Escape and there were a few rendering issues as well. It does seem like it could be pretty playable if you have your VR legs though
F-Zero GX: Absolutely amazing. I had absolutely no nausea playing in first person and it performs like a dream. The third person cameras are extremely hard to use since you can't look at both your can and the road at once. Menus kinda suck though. Car selection tanks my framerate.
Need for Speed Underground: Same as above. It was really enjoyable,
THPS3: Didn't render
THPS4: Gave me some moderate VR sickness, but the awesome VR effect makes up for it. It's a very polished experience if you can handle it though, the menus render great.
Rogue Leader: Didn't render. :(
Super Smash Bros Melee: One of the best experiences I've had. Different menus like to render themselves at different distances from you (which makes character selection annoying), but apart from that it's pretty much flawless.
SSX 3: Works great, but some very aggressive viewing frustum culling kind of defeats the point of having tracking. You'll naturally want to look do during jumps to try and stick your landing but half of what you're looking at won't be rendered.
Super Monkey Ball 2: Works fine, but I have zero interest in actually playing the game like this. VR doesn't really add anything.
Metroid Prime 2: See above.
Soul Calibur 2: Looks and runs great but the wild camera movements makes this borderline unplayable for me. Lots of VR sickness.
Zelda OoT/Master Quest: I forgot this was locked to 20FPS lol. The reprojection settings in Dolphin seemto be broke for the Vive which makes this totally unplayable. It would be great with a good framerate though.
Paper Mario TTYD: The VR effect is amazing. Some wonkiness with the UI getting obscured and some weird camera movements make this hard to fully recommend but goddamn it looks good. You get "seated" with the audience during fights.

BrettWeir

I think there are some bugs / specific configurations affecting performance, people with 980ti are saying they're getting a lot of frame drops but I can run it around 100 - 120fps on high settings, depending on weather / car count etc. but generally staying well over 90fps.

Maybe that's what my issue is. Not sure. I didn't change a single setting. I only had 1 other car on the track with me, but that seemed to be a non issue, since my driving was horrendous. I only saw him twice....right at the start, and when he lapped me....then I had to quit out due to becoming nauseous.

I think it had to do a lot with the fast motion in game vs. sitting completely still with no natural effects like a real car would have. That, and the little hill on the first kart track. That's where I really lost it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Is there no way to reset floor position or add a seated position after room setup?

I am starting to get used to traditional movement in VR. Hover Junkers no longer makes me quezy! I might be able to play windlands soon.

That wont be known until people buy the $200-400 touch controllers. I just ocurred to me that controllers are going to be a peripheral for the rift, as in, they may not be supported in games much since not everyone will have them. What a disaster the OR is. Vive better win so CV2 OR can be a true VR device (ie. include motion controllers in every unit).

deadfolk

A follow-up to this:
Here are some other Dolphin VR thoughts. Keep in mind that I haven't messed with the VR settings too much (they seem to be very much geared towards the Rift) and I only have a GTX 670 for the time being, so YMMV with regards to performance.

RE4: 30FPS cap + aggressive camera rotation = no fun. Cutscene are totally fucked up as well
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: I couldn't hold 60FPS during City Escape and there were a few rendering issues as well. It does seem like it could be pretty playable if you have your VR legs though
F-Zero GX: Absolutely amazing. I had absolutely no nausea playing in first person and it performs like a dream. The third person cameras are extremely hard to use since you can't look at both your can and the road at once. Menus kinda suck though. Car selection tanks my framerate.
Need for Speed Underground: Same as above. It was really enjoyable,
THPS3: Didn't render
THPS4: Gave me some moderate VR sickness, but the awesome VR effect makes up for it. It's a very polished experience if you can handle it though, the menus render great.
Rogue Leader: Didn't render. :(
Super Smash Bros Melee: One of the best experiences I've had. Different menus like to render themselves at different distances from you (which makes character selection annoying), but apart from that it's pretty much flawless.
SSX 3: Works great, but some very aggressive viewing frustum culling kind of defeats the point of having tracking. You'll naturally want to look do during jumps to try and stick your landing but half of what you're looking at won't be rendered.
Super Monkey Ball 2: Works fine, but I have zero interest in actually playing the game like this. VR doesn't really add anything.
Metroid Prime 2: See above.
Soul Calibur 2: Looks and runs great but the wild camera movements makes this borderline unplayable for me. Lots of VR sickness.
Zelda OoT/Master Quest: I forgot this was locked to 20FPS lol. The reprojection settings in Dolphin seemto be broke for the Vive which makes this totally unplayable. It would be great with a good framerate though.
Paper Mario TTYD: The VR effect is amazing. Some wonkiness with the UI getting obscured and some weird camera movements make this hard to fully recommend but goddamn it looks good. You get "seated" with the audience during fights.

Are you using ReVive to get this to work? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, it seems to only support Rift.

Helznicht

If you have a 980ti with a matching CPU, I would certainly go for it. If you are running less, only buy if you have a wheel and a love for racing, and you will have to overcome some poor draw distance.

Tain

I wonder if we could work some gameshark magic to fix the camera position for fighting games like this.

Yoritomo

Hit the steam button on the vive controller. You have to drop out of the steamvr menu to see the screen. Also it centers the headset view on game boot so if you were looking in a random direction you'll need to recenter the VR view

Onemic

Looks like it's to just emulate in-game controls with headtracking (like VorpX does), so not comparable to DolphinVR or PPSSPP VR unless the game already has a free floating camera.

DolphinVR / PPSSPP VR creates an actual camera so you can look around the scene as a "god", even if the game does not support that natively.

I would love if there was an actual VR fork, I played Persona 2 with PPSSPP VR and it was pretty awesome.

So it's exactly like Vorpx? If so isnt that legit VR? Or is there no 3D added?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom