• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
purely for science, I checked out the vrgirlz demo using the revive injector. Very basic shading on the models compared to what their website shows, and the camera controls are weird (you go up/down depending where you're looking). But the solidity of the models is pretty insane, and room scale allowing you to move around them really adds to it.

Are there any other, less nsfw photogrammetry demos with scanned people?

newsguy

If you have a 980ti with a matching CPU, I would certainly go for it. If you are running less, only buy if you have a wheel and a love for racing, and you will have to overcome some poor draw distance.

I have a 980i and 6700 and PCars is really bad for me. I've tried everything and it just looks bad. I can't judge turns properly, the resolution and screendoor rears its ugly head in this game more than any other I've tried so far.

I think that falls under comfort when people talk about it. So rift > vive.

I've used the welding mask frame mod on the vive and now it sticks in place a lot better. Basically if you lean forward and look straight down, a normal vive will hang away from nose, towards top of head direction and thus it'd get blurry. the welding mask frame mod keeps my vive in place.

But how would they know that if the majority haven't played roomscale games that require you to move around at faster rates like holopoint?

Helznicht

I have a 980i and 6700 and PCars is really bad for me. I've tried everything and it just looks bad. I can't judge turns properly, the resolution and screendoor rears its ugly head in this game more than any other I've tried so far.

Thats a bummer. I assume its because you cant scale up Res? What level of AA can you do and still remain playable? Do you have Elite and how does that look when you do Super Sampling? My try made the backgrounds look noticeably better in ED with 4xSS, of course game was a slide show.

Calm down.

Put everything on medium and set AA to DS2x.

Choose some car that you have actually drived in real life.

Just after you start driving, pause it with the Xbox controller (no obligatory) and go to VR settings.

Choose the world scale and seat settings till you got the *goddamn, im there* feeling.

artsi

So it's exactly like Vorpx? If so isnt that legit VR? Or is there no 3D added?

Well yeah. But head tracking emulating analog stick input is far from what the experience can be.

For example 3rd person games, it could be like Lucky's Tale or Chronos (like DolphinVR allows) so the camera is independent from the character, but with this kind of implementation when you look around the camera rotates around the character, there's no positional tracking either. It's just weird.

I don't have these problems others have with Elite. Game looks fine to me, text is readable except on the edges of the galaxy map.

I am running at ultra and don't have any issues so I'm not sure if I'm just not aware of what the problems are or what

I also hadn't actually put any time into elite outside of training before I started playing in earnest.

I am absolutely blown away by the experience. my real monitor is higher res and whatever but it doesn't even compare.

Tracking a guy visually by looking up above my ship and seeing where he's at is an unmatched experience. looking down and seeing my hands and throttle on a HOTAS (which I also bought for Elite) is the craziest video game thing I've done, even more than most of the roomscale stuff

collige

Banned
Are you using ReVive to get this to work? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, it seems to only support Rift.

I'm using this build, which supports the Vive out of the box:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34903/dolphin-emulator-cv1-compatibility

The tracking isn't perfect either, but with some more work it could be a really good experience. If anyone else tries this, please post any useful tips or fixes for games.

I wonder if we could work some gameshark magic to fix the camera position for fighting games like this.

There do appear to be options for scaling and camera positioning in the VR settings, but they didn't appear to make a difference in my experience. In the future, I imagine each individual game will have its own set of hacks and settings to get everything looking proper.

mnannola

Spent my first weekend with the Vive. Utterly amazing. I had already experienced VR with the DK2, but having Roomscale and motion controllers changes everything. It is just so well done, I had a smile from ear to ear pretty much all weekend. Had a bunch of people over to try it out, and everyone else seem to feel the same way. It's almost as fun watching other peoples minds be blown than it is to play it yourself. Honestly felt like we were just a bunch of kids playing around and having a blast.

Space Pirate Trainer, Minecrift and Audio Shield are my favorites. Job Simulator is fun but I keep getting dropped frames which make me feel queasy. I have a 2500K@3.9Ghz and a 970 so not sure what is going on. Can't wait for more games, probably spent more on Steam this weekend than I have in the previous year.

artsi

Minecrift is damn amazing. It also made me realize that an hour feels like 5 minutes while in VR.

Yeah IMO the best experience, I want more of that instead of the small games, even if it means modding existing games.

Glad there's a GTAV mod with Vive controls + teleporting coming soon.

newsguy

Calm down.

Put everything on medium and set AA to DS2x.

Choose some car that you have actually drived in real life.

Just after you start driving, pause it with the Xbox controller (no obligatory) and go to VR settings.

Choose the world scale and seat settings till you got the *goddamn, im there* feeling.

I'll try this when I get home. If it doesn't work I will not calm down =P

Samaritan

Damn, Audioshield really is the killer app for the Vive right now. Went through a ton of my library and when a song works, it just feels amazing. Absolutely incredible that this was a launch game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This is pretty cool. A bit empty for start, but the home area and the Jungle Book experiences are very nice. The Star Wars ones are also cool, but a bit too low quality. I guess they will add more experiences as the time goes, it should pretty nice to see parts of the new movies in VR.

Need some quick advice. I'm going to go ahead and get a Saitek X52 but is the Pro version worth it for $30 more? The main reason I'm going with the Saitek as opposed to say a Thrustmaster is I don't play a lot of games that would use a flight stick and I'm hesitant to drop that kind of money on one. The Pro is a little more than I want to spend but I'm willing to if it's worth it.

Damn, Audioshield really is the killer app for the Vive right now. Went through a ton of my library and when a song works, it just feels amazing. Absolutely incredible that this was a launch game.

I'm not a massive fan....but I've found that hip-hop works really well.
( I love A Tribe Called Quest.....I need some competition for their songs, if anyone's out there??)

Onemic

I'm not a massive fan....but I've found that hip-hop works really well.
( I love A Tribe Called Quest.....I need some competition for their songs, if anyone's out there??)

I would be if HTC shipped my damn Vive. -_-

I feel like Im gonna get no earlier than the end of the month, if then.

I'm not really feeling it that much. Some of it is that I can't use Spotify which is where my music mainly is now, but I am struggling getting into it. Some times I even get bored before the song is over. It's a bit strange, because I played a lot of the original Audiosurf. I am also missing the feature it used to have where it would send you an e-mail if you got dethroned from high scores.

Is this on steam?
Or from Disney website?
I'm not at home at the moment, but it looks like something the kids would like.

It's on Steam. Mostly 360 videos, but there is at least one rendered scene.

bj00rn_

Banned
I'll try this when I get home. If it doesn't work I will not calm down =P

PCars is indeed really ugly in VR. But once I let the ugliness set a little and moving on from there I found a solid fun experience. I need a GTX 1080 to get rid of the timewarp though..

I need a GTX 1080 to get rid of the timewarp though..
This is my main beef. It doesn't look great, but fluid fps is so much more important than anything else for immersion. I have the same thing with Euro Truck, but I fear the devs have to port their ancient engine to a modern gfx api before you can hope to keep a solid 90 fps in VR regardless of gfx power.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Is this on steam?
Or from Disney website?
I'm not at home at the moment, but it looks like something the kids would like.

It's on Steam, but be sure to pre-screen things before you show it to your kids! It surely depends on the kid, but the snake scene from Jungle Book could potentially be pretty terrifying for youngins.

taco543

After all the stress and struggle my vibe was delivered. And I'm at work... The sadness is setting in. But I get to leave work 2 hours early just to go home and get it set up

wonderpug

Neo Member
After all the stress and struggle my vibe was delivered. And I'm at work... The sadness is setting in. But I get to leave work 2 hours early just to go home and get it set up

The setup shouldn't be too involved. I think you generally just need to put batteries in and flip a switch and it'll start vibrating right away.

purely for science, I checked out the vrgirlz demo using the revive injector. Very basic shading on the models compared to what their website shows, and the camera controls are weird (you go up/down depending where you're looking). But the solidity of the models is pretty insane, and room scale allowing you to move around them really adds to it.

Are there any other, less nsfw photogrammetry demos with scanned people?

Are these natural looking women, or anime was a mistake women?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Got home from Work and my HTC Vive has arrived.
So weird never got shipping confirmation and no charges on my visa yet..bizarro

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
What does it say on your order page? Pending Fulfilment?

this is what it says
Qty Product Name
1 Vive

Boxed Shipment

Order Status: Pending Fulfillment

Your order has been released for fulfillment. You will receive a shipment confirmation email with tracking when your product is shipped. Tracking numbers will be displayed on this page after the product has shipped.

Thank you for your HTCVIVE.com order – We will start shipping May 2016. Your order's estimated arrival will be based from the date you receive your shipping notification. You will be receiving a notification once your product has been shipped with a tracking number for your convenience. Please note that your shipment will require a signature upon arrival from the person who placed the order to ensure a safe and secure delivery of your new HTC Vive product.

Zalusithix

I wasn't even making a joke. The Vive box is really big.

Oh, I wasn't implying you were. It was just the combination of his typo followed up by your comment that got me. The typo by itself just got a "heh" sort of reaction from me, but the "big box" follow up was was just too perfect, regardless of it's original innocent intent.

That said, the box is quite big, and nicely laid out to boot. It was one of the more pleasant unboxing experiences I've had in a long time. The last computer related package that was that nice was my EVGA 590 Classified where it was shipped in a box large enough for an SLI set to be packed in along with all the other goodies.

It's on Steam. Mostly 360 videos, but there is at least one rendered scene.

It's on Steam, but be sure to pre-screen things before you show it to your kids! It surely depends on the kid, but the snake scene from Jungle Book could potentially be pretty terrifying for youngins.

Thanks. I'll try that out tomorrow.
Both my kids have seen Jungle Book (the 7 year old didn't like The tiger, but the snake was ok).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yup. Project cars really leans heavily on Valve's reprojection scheme.

1080 needs to get here.

more and more I'm realizing I don't think i'll be able to hold off getting a 1080
I was hoping 970 standard was more then it was..but its becoming more obvious its really a minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom