• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Project cars is pretty great - spent about an hour trying it out earlier. Seems smooth but ther is a bit of a doubles image on objects going past so maybe that's the reprojection? Running on a 970.

Objects very quickly turn to mush in the mid distance, but you can still fairly easily see upcoming corners. Driving a formula rookie around monza was fantastic. The cars seem very twitchy and easy to lose control with a 360 pad though so I might need to consider a wheel. Are there any good settings to make the cars less twitchy? Tried turning stability control on but it didn't make much difference.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wait what

Surprised me too. I thought it was meant to be a port of Mel, but there is almost nothing of that game in this version. You get a few (10-ish) puzzles that are like portal puzzles but you basically just have to put a companion cube on a button, and the mechanics are being able to teleport around, and pick up the cube from long distances. No portals, no exploring the environment, no train ride.

The elevator ride down from Mel is there as an extra, that's about it.

Trouble

Banned
I ran through the Portal Stories stuff now. It was pretty well made, but the puzzles felt more like a very basic tutorial. I knew that it was going to be short, but I would have liked it if the difficulty of the last one or two puzzles had been a bit more advanced. Also, the last puzzle has a hard fail state which is something no proper Portal game has had as far as I can remember. Humor didn't do it for me either, but they had to compete with one of the funniest games made, so I don't fault them too much for that

That being said, they nailed the aesthetics of it all, and that last elevator ride down was pretty cool looking. Hopefully it was a teaser for what is to come.

I ordered by Vive Friday, May 13. It's in fulfillment now and my credit card shows a pending charge for the full amount from HTC. I'm officially in check my order status every 30 minutes mode now!

And to think just last week I thought I'd be waiting until the end of June at best to get my Rift preorder.

Onemic

I ordered by Vive Friday, May 13. It's in fulfillment now and my credit card shows a pending charge for the full amount from HTC. I'm officially in check my order status every 30 minutes mode now!

And to think just last week I thought I'd be waiting until the end of June at best to get my Rift preorder.

*hatred intensifies*

Just played.

Its nice, but mainly because its free.

Its a limited, short "shot" in the Portal universe in a somewhat VR fashion.

Recommended.

wwm0nkey

Man, I think I am just going to bite the bullet and order it though the vive site. Going to be out of town when it comes to the MS Store anyways :/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dolphin VR Question!

Are you guys setting the framelimit to 90, to match the Vives refresh rate?

If so, are you also using the reprojection pulling from 60 to 75 in the VR settings?

Some games run decent, but the best I've had has still been noticeably stuttery. Since it's a fresh install I'm not sure if it's shader compilation or something inherent to using dolphin VR with Vive.

Also, Animal Crossing looks really weirdly awesome. I wish there was a remove culling/render entire world code.

Are there any guides out there for making polygonal SteamVR environments?

I haven't seen one but my understanding is that it's just a regular obj file ala the controller or basestation that you upload.

EDIT: Oh shit! My Norse controller skin is in the Most Popular Items slideshow!

UnrealEck

My Vive's starting to collect some dust. Not much to play on it. Most of the stuff is a non-game, a bad game, a college project or very very short.
The thought of 'this wasn't worth the money' is entering my mind now.

My Vive's starting to collect some dust. Not much to play on it. Most of the stuff is a non-game, a bad game, a college project or very very short.

If you aren't enjoying what's available to play, sell it for high price and buy it again later or something. Or pick up some of the more formal sit-down games.

This all assumes you have the more popular games already.

If enough people are interested we could always start a Gaf community project.

We can all contribute to a "game" that consists of our collective experiments with VR, and this way some people could work on the technical side of a mechanic or game idea, and then someone else can create content/assets to flesh out that idea.

"My Vive's starting to collect some dust. Not much to play on it. Most of the stuff is a non-game, a bad game, a college project or very very short.
The thought of 'this wasn't worth the money' is entering my mind now."

I don't know what you have, but If you have any interest in simulation, pick up Elite Dangerous, pCars (or future race sims) and download DCS World (comes with 2 planes for free, I believe) which are more filling than pretty much everything else.

At this point, I'd say that if you're not developing or into cockpit games i.e. Elite: Dangerous, Racing Sims, flight sims then it's absolutely *not* worth it for most people unless they're an artistic type that adores Tilt Brush. It's very early days and it forces a paradigm shift in game design, so for at least the next few months there's not going to be much in the way of truly satisfying games.

Which is why it's a bit humorous to see people give Oculus so much shit over delaying their controllers, because outside of the (real) possibility of fragmentation and developers choosing not to make tracked controller games, it's almost a complete non-issue as it stands *today*.

bj00rn_

Banned

I for one like the fact that VR isn't always all about videogames or videogame type long sessions.. Anyway I had a few similar thoughts like you had a few days in. But then it went away because I didn't try to force myself to use it.. I'm glad I didn't sell it because I've had a lot of fun with it since then, I think I spent three or four hours in PCars with a wheel yesterday.. And this evening I played quite a few rounds of Audioshield (it finally started clicking for me..) And I suspect that Vive support is going to ramp up a lot from now.

UnrealEck

I have Project Cars. It's pretty cool in VR, but nothing amazing that has me wanting to play it all that much.
I don't have Elite yet. I did plan on it but I'm having doubts getting it now because I'd only want to play it with a HOTAS and I need to buy that too. I don't want to buy that and have it be unused.

I think if someone came to me with £750 cash in hand right now there's a fair chance I'd sell it.
But I can't be bothered dealing over the internet with it. eBay takes 10%, then I need to charge a bunch for delivery then I need to gamble on who is trustworthy.

The technology is cool and the limitations don't bother me. It's just the games. They're pretty crap. Some of them are just downright awful. I expected it to be quite bad but it's worse now that I've gotten the headset and tried it and no longer have that to excite me as much.

bj00rn_

Banned
I have Project Cars. It's pretty cool in VR, but nothing amazing that has me wanting to play it all that much.
I don't have Elite yet. I did plan on it but I'm having doubts getting it now because I'd only want to play it with a HOTAS and I need to buy that too. I don't want to buy that and have it be unused.

I think if someone came to me with £750 cash in hand right now there's a fair chance I'd sell it.
But I can't be bothered dealing over the internet with it. eBay takes 10%, then I need to charge a bunch for delivery then I need to gamble on who is trustworthy.

The technology is cool and the limitations don't bother me. It's just the games. They're pretty crap. Some of them are just downright awful. I expected it to be quite bad but it's worse now that I've gotten the headset and tried it and no longer have that to excite me as much.

OK. Sell it then.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, I'd like to sell mine, too. But unless someone wants to buy it for $1300 ish, I'd rather just keep it after taxes and shipping the big ass box. It's a cool toy.

So Portal Stories. At least it's free. Looking forward to playing it tonight.

tokkun

Yeah, but this is exactly what I expected when I bought it. You are paying a lot of money to get a demo of what games will be like in a couple years, and by the time there are a few really must-have VR-only games the current generation of headsets will be outdated.

Exuro

Demoing some game ideas. Made a little thing where you throw axes at boxes, and man I suck at throwing stuff accurately(and in a straight, non wobbly axe fashion). Not only that but it gets tiring after a bit. Not sure how well this would work in an arcade game.

Korezo

Project cars is pretty great - spent about an hour trying it out earlier. Seems smooth but ther is a bit of a doubles image on objects going past so maybe that's the reprojection? Running on a 970.

Objects very quickly turn to mush in the mid distance, but you can still fairly easily see upcoming corners. Driving a formula rookie around monza was fantastic. The cars seem very twitchy and easy to lose control with a 360 pad though so I might need to consider a wheel. Are there any good settings to make the cars less twitchy? Tried turning stability control on but it didn't make much difference.

How, pcars runs terrible for me on a 980ti with all settings, the two times i tried to play it i got nausea. In the steam forums people are also having the same problem, the game itsnt 90fps or something.

newsguy

How, pcars runs terrible for me on a 980ti with all settings, the two times i tried to play it i got nausea. In the steam forums people are also having the same problem, the game itsnt 90fps or something.

I'm having the same issue. Tried again tonight but immediately got the cold sweats and had to drop out.

taco543

So got my vive set up and played some holoball, space pirate trainer, and holopoint. It was so much fun! had a blast playing and broke out into a sweat and am exhausted now. Will definitely be having some friends over to check this thing out!

Samaritan

So got my vive set up and played some holoball, space pirate trainer, and holopoint. It was so much fun! had a blast playing and broke out into a sweat and am exhausted now. Will definitely be having some friends over to check this thing out!

I was surprised how physically demanding Holoball can get. It and Audioshield are quickly replacing my indoor bike for cardio.

Krejlooc

Banned

It sounds like you don't remember much the transition from 2D to 3D games. It was gradual, and didn't kick in real strong until like 1996, almost 3 years after the first "dedicated" 3D consoles had appeared. This is what paradigm shifts feel like. It's different than a new console launch because there is such a big difference between the old and "new" types of games. Unlike a new console launch where old content can be reused and made pretty to fill in the gaps, you can't really go around finding more VR content. Sure you can try stuff like VorpX, but for the most part you're just going to have to wait. And likely, before VR development takes off and you have a lot of content to choose from, your headset will become outdated.

Such is the life of living on the bleeding edge of technology. If that's not for you, you can still sell your headset for a profit.

Myself? I wouldn't miss these early days for the world.

Helznicht

So I messed around with Elite Dangerous tonight. I upped the Super Sampling to 2x, then reduced the HMD display quality till I got a smooth framerate in VR. Seemed to help with the aliasing by giving a softer image vs no SS and max HMD quality. Those bugged by the pixel crawl, give it a try.

kinggroin

Banned

Assuming you've played the best stuff, sell it and lose probably nothing.

Edit: I'd liken this to any console launch myself. Don't remember the last time I was overwhelmed with quality gaming day one. Usually takes 6 months before anything substantial is released, so me not playing the Vive everyday, does nothing to diminish it's value in my eyes.

The price though. Fuck. I mean, THAT I get. Still, you couldn't have expected things to go any different this early on.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

I feel bad for the people that get motion sickness with classic controls. I've been having a blast playing the new DOOM in VorpX and also just reinstall GTAV with the FOV mod to play through with VorpX.

kinggroin

Banned
I feel bad for the people that get motion sickness with classic controls. I've been having a blast playing the new DOOM in VorpX and also just reinstall GTAV with the FOV mod to play through with VorpX.

How does Doom play via VorpX? I'm used to classic style locomotion in VR (DK1) so it won't bother me.

I just need to know if 90fps is possible on a single 970.

kaskade

I finally got to try out budget cuts after moving my Vive into an area with some more space. God damn. When I had one of those robots look at me I freaked. Like one of those gasp true scares. I just fell on the floor cracking up after.

Also, the one part had the two floors with the beams. I teleported on one and instinctively made my feet so they'd be balancing on the beam. I started to lose my balance at one point and I really thought I was going to fall. Probably my favorite experience so far.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
How does Doom play via VorpX? I'm used to classic style locomotion in VR (DK1) so it won't bother me.

I just need to know if 90fps is possible on a single 970.

As of right now since Doom is "unsupported" the 3d reconstruction isn't enabled so it actually runs really well. Anything over 45fps with VorpX is usually fine anyways.

The 3d reconstruction doesn't bother me and for most it probably helps with preventing motion sickness

Waikis

Have you tried playing Oculus' games on your Vive?
Most of them are content packed unlike vive games. Sure you are missing out on room scale, but VR still adds a wow factor to traditional games.

artsi

I'm feeling a bit same, but I'm always thinking maybe there's something just around the corner so I haven't sold it yet.

I know it'll be worth it in the end, just waiting for the day. Maybe it's when that GTAV mod releases.

New video from it, BTW:
https://giant.gfycat.com/RecklessSevereHind.mp4

golem

Portal Stories VR was pretty fun. The
elevator down was way trippy. If they dropped it Tower of Terror style I might have collapsed lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"My Vive's starting to collect some dust. Not much to play on it. Most of the stuff is a non-game, a bad game, a college project or very very short.
The thought of 'this wasn't worth the money' is entering my mind now."

I don't know what you have, but If you have any interest in simulation, pick up Elite Dangerous, pCars (or future race sims) and download DCS World (comes with 2 planes for free, I believe) which are more filling than pretty much everything else.

At this point, I'd say that if you're not developing or into cockpit games i.e. Elite: Dangerous, Racing Sims, flight sims then it's absolutely *not* worth it for most people unless they're an artistic type that adores Tilt Brush. It's very early days and it forces a paradigm shift in game design, so for at least the next few months there's not going to be much in the way of truly satisfying games.

Which is why it's a bit humorous to see people give Oculus so much shit over delaying their controllers, because outside of the (real) possibility of fragmentation and developers choosing not to make tracked controller games, it's almost a complete non-issue as it stands *today*.

I disagree because I'm finding plenty of the games that require hand tracking or 360 tracking to be absolutely compelling. Budget cuts, bowslinger, audioshield, vanishing realms etc are all better for motion tracking and room scale.

I do think you need to understand that this is new tech,and you will get more mileage from it if you are interested in the journey and not just the destination. But I absolutely don't think only cockpit games justify VR right now (although project cars is pretty great and I'm adding a wheel & hotas to my shopping list)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom