• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I disagree because I'm finding plenty of the games that require hand tracking or 360 tracking to be absolutely compelling. Budget cuts, bowslinger, audioshield, vanishing realms etc are all better for motion tracking and room scale.

I do think you need to understand that this is new tech,and you will get more mileage from it if you are interested in the journey and not just the destination. But I absolutely don't think only cockpit games justify VR right now (although project cars is pretty great and I'm adding a wheel & hotas to my shopping list)"

I don't personally have a problem with the software selection as it is now because I bought it fully aware that this was and will be the case for at least some time. And also because I bought it for other uses.

Outside of Budget Cuts (which is still just a 3 minute demo, but I fully anticipate its final release), I find most of the current bunch of games only interesting at best. A show of the potential of the technology, but only that. I don't find hand tracking/room scale alone to be enough to compel me to play them more than 1-2 hours total. That doesn't make them worthless or bad or anything like that, but that is my personal feeling.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think the combination of not having that much free time and going through Wii U's launch (and whole LTD practically) has made me much more patient. I still have some games yet to try and I play through short sessions of the games that I like (Audioshield, SPT, Final Approach, Quar etc) almost every night. Now a bit less since Stellaris got the priority and all my gaming time.

hodgy100

I'm planning on making some stuff in unreal when I get my set. I decided it would be cool to play vr table tennis with my friend in Nottingham :)

On the recent idle thumbs they spoke of the desensitising effect of VR. That your first hours are magical and then it can become quite normal. This makes me want to savour my first VR experience for a truly magical killer app.

artsi

On the recent idle thumbs they spoke of the desensitising effect of VR. That your first hours are magical and then it can become quite normal. This makes me want to savour my first VR experience for a truly magical killer app.

Yeah. For me I don't get excited because "Wow VR!" anymore, it's just... normal, it's as exciting as real life except I'm wearing these heavy goggles.

I might get excited because I see awesome stuff in the game, but that's thanks to the game developers, not me wearing an HMD.
Just something like being able to manipulate stuff with motion controls is whatever, I want good content already.

Not saying VR fails because of this, it does exactly what it's supposed to. But better not rely on the enjoyment coming from VR tech itself, but the games and experiences it makes possible.

Lemonte

Disney movie VR was disappointing. Jungle book with the snake was cool but everything else is what you would expect to see on gearvr.

Portal Stories: VR is pretty good. I got little nausea don't know why, maybe teleportation is too fast? First puzzles are at least too easy. Didn't want to play too far because I hate the nausea feeling which will last very long time for me once it truly hits.

golem

Also had some sync problems with my lighthouse today and couldnt figure out what was going on. Then realized that my Xbox w/ Kinect was on and turned it off, worked smoothly after that, odd.

I always knew the games would be pretty slim on release and that most things would be short demo experiences, but I always had Elite to fall back on. I already played nearly a hundred hours of it on my monitor and I'm sure I will play just as much again in VR, even despite the problems with it. The immersion is just so much better in virtual reality. It's like playing a new game. I just want a WW2 combat flight sim now to be compatible with the Vive.

"I disagree because I'm finding plenty of the games that require hand tracking or 360 tracking to be absolutely compelling. Budget cuts, bowslinger, audioshield, vanishing realms etc are all better for motion tracking and room scale.

I do think you need to understand that this is new tech,and you will get more mileage from it if you are interested in the journey and not just the destination. But I absolutely don't think only cockpit games justify VR right now (although project cars is pretty great and I'm adding a wheel & hotas to my shopping list)"

I don't personally have a problem with the software selection as it is now because I bought it fully aware that this was and will be the case for at least some time. And also because I bought it for other uses.

Outside of Budget Cuts (which is still just a 3 minute demo, but I fully anticipate its final release), I find most of the current bunch of games only interesting at best. A show of the potential of the technology, but only that. I don't find hand tracking/room scale alone to be enough to compel me to play them more than 1-2 hours total. That doesn't make them worthless or bad or anything like that, but that is my personal feeling.

I agree completely. I think the problem facing these titles (again, with the exception of Budget Cuts), is that when you remove the VR aspect there's no incentive to play them. I love Vanish Realms, but purely because of the hardware. I would never even consider playing it on my monitor, as once you strip away VR it's at best a decidedly uninteresting, mediocre game.

bj00rn_

Banned

I don't know exactly what was discussed there but I've been doing VR "on a daily basis" for two to three years now and to me this sounds like utter BS.

Unless they are talking about the common psychological factor of things not being as exciting after the first time you try something. But what on earth is the point of singling out VR then??

So yes; It's comparable to be desensitised to anything in life really - like sex even; Yes it happens regularly and therefore it's not as intense as the first time anymore, it's.."normal".. but it's still more exciting and immersive than being alone watching a picture of a hot piece of human being on a screen, and with your hands tied to your back!

I spent two months playing E:D in VR with a DK2 and the "magic" of VR never went away. In fact I was no longer able to play the game on a regular display after that.

With that said, VR is in a maturing process and software doubly so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree completely. I think the problem facing these titles (again, with the exception of Budget Cuts), is that when you remove the VR aspect there's no incentive to play them. I love Vanish Realms, but purely because of the hardware. I would never even consider playing it on my monitor, as once you strip away VR it's at best a decidedly uninteresting, mediocre game.

That seems like an odd thing to say? Lots of games rely on the hardware to add something. Would you want to play uncharted 4 on a PSOne? Or Wii bowling on a normal controller? I'm actually happily surprised at how compelling simple mechanics can be in VR that would be dull with a controller and a TV. Space Pirate trainer is a good example.

Horp

Just got my own Vive! Delivered 2 mins ago!
Had it at work a few weeks, but now I have one for myself.
YEEEEEE!!!

viveks86

I agree completely. I think the problem facing these titles (again, with the exception of Budget Cuts), is that when you remove the VR aspect there's no incentive to play them.

That is not the problem facing these games. The problem facing these games is a lack of adequate content in order to sustain interest.

Vanishing Realms would be an awesome game if it simply had tons more content. Sure, the quality of content can be a lot better, but that's not the problem right now. Quantity is the problem

And that problem will gradually be solved with increasing budgets, time and a growing install base.

That seems like an odd thing to say? Lots of games rely on the hardware to add something. Would you want to play uncharted 4 on a PSOne? Or Wii bowling on a normal controller? I'm actually happily surprised at how compelling simple mechanics can be in VR that would be dull with a controller and a TV. Space Pirate trainer is a good example.

Agreed. It's an overused argument at this point and it doesn't make much sense most of the time. Who cares if a VR game isn't fun without VR? Is basketball fun without the ball?

The only question that matters is if it IS fun in VR. Certain aspects of a game that don't rely on VR deserve such critical analysis, such as story, music, bugs etc. But to make vague statements like "these games made specifically for VR are mediocre without VR" are totally meaningless.

Disney movie VR was disappointing. Jungle book with the snake was cool but everything else is what you would expect to see on gearvr.

Portal Stories: VR is pretty good. I got little nausea don't know why, maybe teleportation is too fast? First puzzles are at least too easy. Didn't want to play too far because I hate the nausea feeling which will last very long time for me once it truly hits.

That's because some of it was in fact cardboard VR content that was reintroduced onto steam VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
damn. everything was fine yesterday playing some PCars. Just tried turning it on to try out the disney and portal stuff and its complaining the display isn't connected.

Zalusithix

Also had some sync problems with my lighthouse today and couldnt figure out what was going on. Then realized that my Xbox w/ Kinect was on and turned it off, worked smoothly after that, odd.

Not really odd when you consider Kinect works by blasting out pulses of IR light, and the lighthouses sync by pulses of IR light. Same reason remotes become useless when the lighthouses are on. You can only get so much IR light flooding a room before the things relying on it can no longer separate the signal they're looking for from the noise of everything else.

tokkun

Agreed. It's an overused argument at this point and it doesn't make much sense most of the time. Who cares if a VR game isn't fun without VR? Is basketball fun without the ball?

The only question that matters is if it IS fun in VR. Certain aspects of a game that don't rely on VR deserve such critical analysis, such as story, music, bugs etc. But to make vague statements like "these games made specifically for VR are mediocre without VR" are totally meaningless.

I think the point is more about whether the games are relying on the novelty of VR to cover up for core gameplay that just isn't very good. I think of it this way: if I were to play one of these games again in 5 or 10 years time, would it be fun?

The game analogy that sticks out in my mind is Battle Arena Toshinden. I played the hell out of that game when the PS1 came out, but it was a game that relied almost entirely on the novelty of being a 3D fighter for a home console. If you try to go back and play it today, it's awful. Contrast that against Mario 64, which to me is the gold standard of an enduring game that was built on new technology. It also had a lot of novelty in terms of the analog stick and full 3D movement, but the core mechanics had a more timeless appeal to them, such that the game is still fun to play years later.

I don't think I've played a VR game yet that feels like it will stand up well to the test of time.

Not really odd when you consider Kinect works by blasting out pulses of IR light, and the lighthouses sync by pulses of IR light. Same reason remotes become useless when the lighthouses are on. You can only get so much IR light flooding a room before the things relying on it can no longer separate the signal they're looking for from the noise of everything else.
yea, its fun too, I'm able to turn my TV off with the remote with the lighthouses on, however I cannot turn it on with the remote

Has anyone been completely unable to install the bluetooth driver? I'd really like to be able to turn the lighthouses off without having to unplug them

elyetis

The more I play audioshield the less I like it, I mean it's not bad but I never really feel like the game make you play in rythm with your song.

On the other hand even if I am pretty bad at them, Space Pirate Trainer & Holopoint are games I can still play every day. Very limited in content, even for their price, but what they do they do it well.

Now if we could have a good Sports champions-like game released.... Pool Nation VR next month should be a good start.

Great to see that Tabletop simulator began work on Vive support, and that it is now their focus. It's still my most awaited title in VR.

The more I play audioshield the less I like it, I mean it's not bad but I never really feel like the game make you play in rythm with your song.

Pick songs with a better-defined beat. If the shit sounds like a bunch of noise without a clear cadence it will probably struggle. Try something by Michael Jackson.

Tabletop Simulator has mentioned VR support for some time, but it's good to hear that it has become a focus. That's a game I'll spend a lot of time in VR with.

1080 benchmarks coming out and look great. Avg 20% higher than TitanX perf... My 970 is holding for now but good to know that the 1070/1080 will be solid options as it looks. I think I'm going to let the dust settle first but may look at one a few months down the road.

UnrealEck

Have you tried playing Oculus' games on your Vive?
Most of them are content packed unlike vive games. Sure you are missing out on room scale, but VR still adds a wow factor to traditional games.

Yes. I've played Lucky's Tale, Dreamdeck (which aren't games) and Farlands.
The two of those that are games are quite nicely presented. They're some of the closest things to actual full proper games that I've seen so far.

Someone mentioned VorpX but I don't want to buy that since I've read it's buggy, glitchy and there's another app coming out shortly that supposedly supports Vive, including Fallout 4 with roomscale.

I honestly think I'll end up keeping the Vive in the end. I'm not in desperate need for money. I'm pretty broket though but I just don't need money for anything at the moment other than stupid luxuries like changing a 980 Ti to a 1080.
Hopefully better and bigger games come soon.

One thing I've found with the Vive is that although it gives the impression that VR is going to isolate you and immerse you in another world (which it does), some of the games seem like they're amazing for a house party. Audioshield is one example. If I was a popular person this game alone would have convinced me it's worth having.

My Vive is being delivered today. I don't know whether to keep it or not. I purchased it early thinking I had a couple of months before it shipped and it ended up shipping in 4 days. My house is no where near finished and best I could do right now is sitting, maybe standing but I can't put the lighthouses on the walls at all. I've never been so upset to get something early before.

UnrealEck

It's not always perfect or at times even great.
But I've found playing on the lowest difficulty results in it meeting faster music like most non-trance electronica a bit more poorly than the higher difficulties. I found the second difficulty gives better rhythm reproduction in the gameplay.

elyetis

Pick songs with a better-defined beat. If the shit sounds like a bunch of noise without a clear cadence it will probably struggle. Try something by Michael Jackson.
I'll give it a try, it's true that I just choose songs I like without really thinking about what work better with an automated system.
Tabletop Simulator has mentioned VR support for some time, but it's good to hear that it has become a focus. That's a game I'll spend a lot of time in VR with.
Same here.. I already spent quite some time in it since it's sadly my only way to play most of my tabletop games with my friends more than once or twice a year. But doing it in VR + motion control should give a closer feeling from the real experience.

My Vive is being delivered today. I don't know whether to keep it or not. I purchased it early thinking I had a couple of months before it shipped and it ended up shipping in 4 days. My house is no where near finished and best I could do right now is sitting, maybe standing but I can't put the lighthouses on the walls at all. I've never been so upset to get something early before.

Priorities. If you need the cash then sell it, else I would keep it until you can use it. Once that home is ready you will wish you had it around.

No point in selling it as prices wouldn't be worth it after shipping and fees. You know there is a standing mode and you can temp set up the lighthouses. If you were going to get one might as well play around with it. IMO

Edit: plus some games like audio shield work work fine with just standing. Having more room is better no doubt, but still there is some fun to be had in a more contained environment. Cheer up and enjoy.

It really depends on the music you choose. Also this:

It's not always perfect or at times even great.
But I've found playing on the lowest difficulty results in it meeting faster music like most non-trance electronica a bit more poorly than the higher difficulties. I found the second difficulty gives better rhythm reproduction in the gameplay.

A couple of my favorite albums sync really well:

Tepr - Côte Ouest

Metronomy - English Riviera (most of it at least)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So here are some interesting observations.

1) Playing Project Cars with my g25 setup I felt fine for hours.

2) Playing Project Cars with an xbox controller I started to feel a bit ill pretty quick.

I guess the addition of a physical wheel in my hands completes the tricking of my brain?

Overall, my motion sickness level, even in games like spell fighter with crap framerate and tradition movement, has gotten drastically better. In Hover Junkers I no longer feel any sickness at all. In spell fighter I only feel light discomfort. Pretty soon I will probably not have any motion sickness problems at all.

For some people it seems you CAN train yourself.

XShagrath

I'll give it a try, it's true that I just choose songs I like without really thinking about what work better with an automated system.
I play mostly metal and rock songs, and haven't found anything that didn't work fairly well on Hard difficulty yet. The only song I've played that didn't really work was a Bjork song, just because it ended up being a little bit slower.

So pick songs that are a little bit higher on the BPM side, and make sure you choose at least the second difficulty. The "Harder" difficulty is a little bit too much for me currently, as I'm only getting 97-99% on Hard. Whenever I do pick Harder, I end up flailing around quite a bit, which is not what I want. I want my movements to feel natural.

2) Playing Project Cars with an xbox controller I started to feel a bit ill pretty quick.

I guess the addition of a physical wheel in my hands completes the tricking of my brain?

Overall, my motion sickness level, even in games like spell fighter with crap framerate and tradition movement, has gotten drastically better. In Hover Junkers I no longer feel any sickness at all. In spell fighter I only feel light discomfort. Pretty soon I will probably not have any motion sickness problems at all.

From my understanding one of the design principles in Hover Junkers that prevents people from feeling ill is the presence of static object, in this case the hover ship is that object. The fact that it does not move allows our brain to concentrate on it when traversing the map. I have a feeling what you're experiencing is somewhat similar to that where the physical steering wheel helps you associate it with the rendered steering wheel, and indirectly the vehicles itself. This in turn becomes your static object.

kinggroin

Banned
That is not the problem facing these games. The problem facing these games is a lack of adequate content in order to sustain interest.

Vanishing Realms would be an awesome game if it simply had tons more content. Sure, the quality of content can be a lot better, but that's not the problem right now. Quantity is the problem

And that problem will gradually be solved with increasing budgets, time and a growing install base.

This post encapsulates my thought process entirely with regards to the state of VR (Vive more specifically) today.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think the point is more about whether the games are relying on the novelty of VR to cover up for core gameplay that just isn't very good. I think of it this way: if I were to play one of these games again in 5 or 10 years time, would it be fun?

The game analogy that sticks out in my mind is Battle Arena Toshinden. I played the hell out of that game when the PS1 came out, but it was a game that relied almost entirely on the novelty of being a 3D fighter for a home console. If you try to go back and play it today, it's awful. Contrast that against Mario 64, which to me is the gold standard of an enduring game that was built on new technology. It also had a lot of novelty in terms of the analog stick and full 3D movement, but the core mechanics had a more timeless appeal to them, such that the game is still fun to play years later.

I don't think I've played a VR game yet that feels like it will stand up well to the test of time.

Maybe I'm measuring them against some other metric, but I don't expect any of this initial crop to stand up to the tests of time. So much will change in 5 years that I'm sure we'll look back and think these initial games were not great. But they are necessary to get where we want to get.

and right now they are a ton of fun, which is enough for me.

Played through Portal Stories:VR, the Disney thing, and did a round of golf in Cloudlands.

Portal Stories is very lightweight and it is disappointing not to have any portals - even if they only had mini portals that a cube or gel could fit through but not your body. But the environments were nice enough - I did find myself losing the chaperone a little bit as the blocky nature of the aperture science rooms blended a bit too well with the chaperone design. Bumped into a wall a couple of times.

Disney VR was mostly disappointing. Even downloading the videos they weren't much better quality than streaming. The King Louie Jungle book was horrendous with murky blacks in King Louies cave. The Star Wars ones were sort of neat, but they all just felt like what I guess they were - little clips designed for Gear VR consumption maybe for use in cinema foyers?

Cloudlands is really nice, but also really annoying. The mechanics are really simple, and I like how the putter automatically adjusts to the height of the ground so you don't need to worry about your vertical positioning so much. And the little haptic kick you get when you hit the ball feels really nice. And overall the physics of the ball feel good. But the courses are so insane they really detract from the overall experience. The last hole is a par 42.. I'd much rather have a course of relatively normal minigolf holes, and then a separate course with the crazy monkey ball shit. Make them 2x 9 hole courses if you have scope limitations. The choice of 'random 9' or 'full 18' means I don't even know if I'll replay it. Maybe if I could select which 9 (the slightly less crazy ones) it'd be better.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
From my understanding one of the design principles in Hover Junkers that prevents people from feeling ill is the presence of static object, in this case the hover ship is that object. The fact that it does not move allows our brain to concentrate on it when traversing the map. I have a feeling what you're experiencing is somewhat similar to that where the physical steering wheel helps you associate it with the rendered steering wheel, and indirectly the vehicles itself. This in turn becomes your static object.

That doesn't explain why I am gradually getting less sick playing Spell Fighter. Which is literally traditional movement FPS without the "static" platform.

People getting motion sickness worries me. I hope it doesnt affect games getting created with traditional movement + room scale as I feel thats my most desired outcome of VR games.

Maybe I'm measuring them against some other metric, but I don't expect any of this initial crop to stand up to the tests of time. So much will change in 5 years that I'm sure we'll look back and think these initial games were not great. But they are necessary to get where we want to get.

Played through Portal Stories:VR, the Disney thing, and did a round of golf in Cloudlands.

Portal Stories is very lightweight and it is disappointing not to have any portals - even if they only had mini portals that a cube or gel could fit through but not your body. But the environments were nice enough - I did find myself losing the chaperone a little bit as the blocky nature of the aperture science rooms blended a bit too well with the chaperone design. Bumped into a wall a couple of times.

Disney VR was mostly disappointing. Even downloading the videos they weren't much better quality than streaming. The King Louie Jungle book was horrendous with murky blacks in King Louies cave. The Star Wars ones were sort of neat, but they all just felt like what I guess they were - little clips designed for Gear VR consumption maybe for use in cinema foyers?

Cloudlands is really nice, but also really annoying. The mechanics are really simple, and I like how the putter automatically adjusts to the height of the ground so you don't need to worry about your vertical positioning so much. And the little haptic kick you get when you hit the ball feels really nice. And overall the physics of the ball feel good. But the courses are so insane they really detract from the overall experience. The last hole is a par 42.. I'd much rather have a course of relatively normal minigolf holes, and then a separate course with the crazy monkey ball shit. Make them 2x 9 hole courses if you have scope limitations. The choice of 'random 9' or 'full 18' means I don't even know if I'll replay it. Maybe if I could select which 9 (the slightly less crazy ones) it'd be better.

I look back at the NES days and now. Would I play them today probably not. Although I did have some fun playing NESremix a few days ago, but that's nostalgia talking. Yes some games will always be solid playing games but they obviously are dated. I look at holoball and audioshield that make be looked at more foundlly 5 years from now compared to some other games out there on the vr front as their gameplay is what sells them. No one looks at them is and is like holy shot the graphics but it's more about swinging around and being engaged.

People getting motion sickness worries me. I hope it doesnt affect games getting created with traditional movement + room scale as I feel thats my most desired outcome of VR games.

Feeling sick in VR is pretty rare IMO, its the number one thing that game developers should (and do) address when designing game world traversal.

VVV Mars VG

Personally I'm loving seeing VR develop, new ideas and innovation abound. Sure a lot of games are glorified demos. but they are so much fun I'm not complaining, just enjoying the journey as we see a glimpse into the future of gaming applications.

Talking of which, made a video on Project Cars VR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf1dDVWJmNw struggles on my GTX 780 but again the potential is huge.

I'm playing PCars with a controller and as long as my framerate is good I don't feel any sickness. I haven't tried any camera positions other than first person, I imagine using third person camera and steering left while looking right would be a bad thing. In first person mode the car blocks half your view and doesn't move if you don't so it grounds you very well.

pj

Banned

For my first match of hover junkers I was on someone else's craft and he drove the entire time. At one point he was heading toward a wall at full speed and I almost fell over IRL when we hit it in-game. My body was expecting to be thrown forward so I was instinctively leaning backwards.

Fun stuff.

taco543

Played Lucky's tale last night before bed with revive and man that game is beautiful and a ton of fun. Just have to get through work now so I can come home and try hover junkers

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd quite like an option in PCars to lock my head position onto my virtual neck. I realise you normally want positional tracking, but I find it more annoying seeing my severed neck moving around if I'm not sitting exactly right. I'm normally sitting in one location so artificially fixing it would be ok I think.

Personally I'm loving seeing VR develop, new ideas and innovation abound. Sure a lot of games are glorified demos. but they are so much fun I'm not complaining, just enjoying the journey as we see a glimpse into the future of gaming applications.

Talking of which, made a video on Project Cars VR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf1dDVWJmNw struggles on my GTX 780 but again the potential is huge.

Are you planning to upgrade your graphics card soon? I'm a bit surprised you're still hanging on with a 780 driving VR and a triple screen setup - especially with all your youtube stuff where you'd perhaps benefit from better graphics for the audience too.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

cloud lands dose have a course editor give it a bit for people to make courses that you are looking for im sure more laid back courses and not over the top ones will come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom