• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I'm loving seeing VR develop, new ideas and innovation abound. Sure a lot of games are glorified demos. but they are so much fun I'm not complaining, just enjoying the journey as we see a glimpse into the future of gaming applications.

Talking of which, made a video on Project Cars VR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf1dDVWJmNw struggles on my GTX 780 but again the potential is huge.

That is what being an early adopter is all about and why so many of us have invested in this expensive and unproven device (and technology).

I'd quite like an option in PCars to lock my head position onto my virtual neck. I realise you normally want positional tracking, but I find it more annoying seeing my severed neck moving around if I'm not sitting exactly right. I'm normally sitting in one location so artificially fixing it would be ok I think.

Euro Truck has something like this, and I find it really uncomfortable. Fortunately it's optional.

VVV Mars VG

Are you planning to upgrade your graphics card soon? I'm a bit surprised you're still hanging on with a 780 driving VR and a triple screen setup - especially with all your youtube stuff where you'd perhaps benefit from better graphics for the audience too.

Yes I've always invested into tech where I can, alas it all depends on funds and if I can afford it.

Zalusithix

That is what being an early adopter is all about and why so many of us have invested in this expensive and unproven device (and technology).

Yeah, the biggest drive for me to jump into this first gen wasn't what I saw (though that did help), but what I didn't see. The unknown future. Kind of like the lottery where you have to be in it to win it, you need a VR set to experience the evolution. A lot of it is awkward as hell, but I've had more glimpses of potential in VR than I've had for a long while in the gaming and tech sectors. It's going to take many years to fully tap that potential, but that's the sort of thing I find fascinating, and something that I haven't had the opportunity to experience for some time now. Being on-board for the entire transitional period is the only way to truly appreciate where we came from and where we end up.

I consider myself lucky. I've managed to be alive just barely long enough to see much of the extreme evolution of modern tech. I've seen PCs evolve from single core 386s with bulky monochrome CRTs into virtual datacenters in a box with thin billion color displays. I've seen cellphones move from bulky carphones that could barely make a call to mobile micro computers smaller than the batteries that powered their early brethren. I've seen the internet grow from static HTML pages delivered over slow copper telephone lines to interactive experiences with bandwidth hogging media delivered over fiber optics. I've seen gaming go from simple sprites on a 2D plane to 3D rendered images that can sometimes pass for real life. I'll now get to experience the evolution of VR from it's amusement park early days to the first truly viable consumer versions and beyond.

Sometimes the journey is far more interesting than the destination.

TheRed

Hadn't used my Vive in a few days because DOOM is so good. Tried Disney Movies VR and it's promising but the execution is just bad in most of it. I like the lobby it puts you in but for most of the videos they were extremely juddery and I had to stay mostly still to avoid getting sick, I don't know why it would be so juddery for 360 videos that I even downloaded hoping that would make it smooth but no. Even with the judder I loved the Star Wars Spy thing as long as I stayed mostly still, the scale in those is fantastic.

I liked the one where you stand in the night scene from the beginning when Kylo Ren lands on Jakku, that looked so cool. The Jungle Book ones were the best especially the Monkey one, it looked amazing, and since I loved the movie I wish I could experience all of the scenes in that movie in VR. Everything else was crap though. If they can fix performance so I can actually not be scared to move my head and add lots of cool stuff like from Marvel it could be really cool.

Tain

Spent way too long yesterday using old-ass tools in an attempt to dump entire polygonal scenes from video games with very little success.

I just want my SteamVR home to be some SoulCalibur or Virtual On stages, is that so much to ask? (yes it is)

If they can fix performance so I can actually not be scared to move my head and add lots of cool stuff like from Marvel it could be really cool.

It wasn't performance issues, but low frame rate on the source video. Don't know why they didn't do higher frame rates when all of it looked to be cgi anyway.

The only time I have felt a slight feeling of motion sickness was in AltspaceVR. One of the buttons on the controller makes your avatar walk backwards and because I didn't know the buttons I wasn't expecting it.

On a positive note, I felt like a celebrity as nearly everyone else in the room was using a Gear VR or cardboard and they were all jealous of my Vive controllers.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is anyone else getting weird black "static" on the top of their head playing Project CARS? I can't really figure out what it is... and it seems attached to the top of my head because I can't look up at it.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Is anyone else getting weird black "static" on the top of their head playing Project CARS? I can't really figure out what it is... and it seems attached to the top of my head because I can't look up at it.

Hmm, I didn't have static (on my Rift) but I did see what looked like a long black rectangle flashing briefly every so often on the roof of my car. I didn't play long enough to figure out what might've been causing it.

Krejlooc

Banned
last night I had some friends over and we were brainstorming ideas for VR projects and I actually used TiltBrush to help me visualize the concept I was trying to get across. I basically painted a small scene from the game and was able to explain how it should work to my friends, who are going to be handling the art. It's basically panzer dragoon in VR. We'll get started on it after we finish Goldeneye VR.

So quick question/concern. I currently installed a light house directly above/behind a lamp. Will the light from the lamp cause interference or outright damage the light house? Interference is fine since i can turn it off when I want to use them but damage would be a no no, am i just overeacting?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So quick question/concern. I currently installed a light house directly above/behind a lamp. Will the light from the lamp cause interference or outright damage the light house? Interference is fine since i can turn it off when I want to use them but damage would be a no no, am i just overeacting?

It won't damage it, but it may cause interference.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Hmm, I didn't have static (on my Rift) but I did see what looked like a long black rectangle flashing briefly every so often on the roof of my car. I didn't play long enough to figure out what might've been causing it.

That might be it... was it happening in the internal view?

last night I had some friends over and we were brainstorming ideas for VR projects and I actually used TiltBrush to help me visualize the concept I was trying to get across. I basically painted a small scene from the game and was able to explain how it should work to my friends, who are going to be handling the art. It's basically panzer dragoon in VR. We'll get started on it after we finish Goldeneye VR.

Sounds interesting. Keep up the good work!

Weren't you guys working on HL2VR too? What happened to that?

YEESSss. Surprised we haven't seen anyone really do it yet. The concept is perfect for VR.

Yeah, the biggest drive for me to jump into this first gen wasn't what I saw (though that did help), but what I didn't see. The unknown future. Kind of like the lottery where you have to be in it to win it, you need a VR set to experience the evolution. A lot of it is awkward as hell, but I've had more glimpses of potential in VR than I've had for a long while in the gaming and tech sectors. It's going to take many years to fully tap that potential, but that's the sort of thing I find fascinating, and something that I haven't had the opportunity to experience for some time now. Being on-board for the entire transitional period is the only way to truly appreciate where we came from and where we end up.

I consider myself lucky. I've managed to be alive just barely long enough to see much of the extreme evolution of modern tech. I've seen PCs evolve from single core 386s with bulky monochrome CRTs into virtual datacenters in a box with thin billion color displays. I've seen cellphones move from bulky carphones that could barely make a call to mobile micro computers smaller than the batteries that powered their early brethren. I've seen the internet grow from static HTML pages delivered over slow copper telephone lines to interactive experiences with bandwidth hogging media delivered over fiber optics. I've seen gaming go from simple sprites on a 2D plane to 3D rendered images that can sometimes pass for real life. I'll now get to experience the evolution of VR from it's amusement park early days to the first truly viable consumer versions and beyond.

Sometimes the journey is far more interesting than the destination.

I'm going to assume we're similar in age.

Can you imagine showing people from the year 1985 this technology. Better yet, can you imagine showing people from the industrial revolution this technology? They would think you were an alien from another dimension

Throwing stuff at stuff in vr is too fun. Messing around in Unity. I want to see if I can make a simple arcade game out of this.

http://imgur.com/ll1GDv9

Looks fun! I've noticed not that many games have been able to get throwing down that well. Kind of like they're modeling the physics too accurately and it somehow translates to your throws feeling too weak in VR. Any time I have to, I have to overcompensate. More "fun" physics like what you have there would be more....uh.. fun.

I ended up cancelling my order weeks back. I was bummed when I saw that HTC stopped taking orders as I still want to get one, just decided to put it off, but what are you gonna do? Today my SO wanted me to open an early birthday present, which who is going to complain about that. And you've probably already figured out where this is going. Looking at a very surprised and sudden Vive owner.

I don't know what to do with my hands!?

Ionic

giphy.gif

Exuro

Looks fun! I've noticed not that many games have been able to get throwing down that well. Kind of like they're modeling the physics too accurately and it somehow translates to your throws feeling too weak in VR. Any time I have to, I have to overcompensate. More "fun" physics like what you have there would be more....uh.. fun.
Yeah I was originally having a ton of issues with accuracy, but played around with the velocities and now I'm feeling pretty comfortable aiming with it. I feel better with this than budget cuts for instance.

3d audio is working now. Not sure if I should stick with the unity built in stuff or use the oculus audio sdk.

I ended up cancelling my order weeks back. I was bummed when I saw that HTC stopped taking orders as I still want to get one, just decided to put it off, but what are you gonna do? Today my SO wanted me to open an early birthday present, which who is going to complain about that. And you've probably already figured out where this is going. Looking at a very surprised and sudden Vive owner.

Thats a nice gift. You go hug your SO right now and tell them how special he or she is.

bj00rn_

Banned

I think it has something to do with low framerates judder and time warp because I saw it too, but vanished when I tweaked the graphic a bit for better fps.

taco543

Space pirate trainer. Get it, enjoy it.
Oh and get revive and download Lucky's tale. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

DJ88

So my Vive is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which I'm super excited about, but it's also way sooner than I had planned. I was planning on building my first PC with one of the new 1080 cards, but now this kind of forces my hand. I have to decide between building a PC now with a 980 Ti or continuing to wait until the OC 1080 cards start being released.

I decided to wait until the reviews and benchmarks came in to make my decision and after looking at them today, is it safe to say I should be fine ordering a superclocked 980 Ti? It looks like 1080's with aftermarket coolers wont be coming out for at least a month and they'll most likely be pretty pricey.

The increase in performance for VR doesn't seem that huge and I feel like I should be fine with a top of the line 980 Ti until the 1080 Ti is released.

Anyone have any thoughts on if this is a good move? Or is it really worth waiting a month or two for the EVGA and MSI versions of the 1080?

Onemic

So my Vive is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow which I'm super excited about, but it's also way sooner than I had planned. I was planning on building my first PC with one of the new 1080 cards, but now this kind of forces my hand. I have to decide between building a PC now with a 980 Ti or continuing to wait until the OC 1080 cards start being released.

I decided to wait until the reviews and benchmarks came in to make my decision and after looking at them today, is it safe to say I should be fine ordering a superclocked 980 Ti? It looks like 1080's with aftermarket coolers wont be coming out for at least a month and they'll most likely be pretty pricey.

The increase in performance for VR doesn't seem that huge and I feel like I should be fine with a top of the line 980 Ti until the 1080 Ti is released.

Anyone have any thoughts on if this is a good move? Or is it really worth waiting a month or two for the EVGA and MSI versions of the 1080?

Might as well go founders edition tbh. Im in the same boat as you.

Why get a 980Ti that is close in price to the FE 1080 and will not match it in performance even if OC'd?(I know they're extremely close when OC'd but it still doesnt 'match' it)

JackHerer

It wasn't performance issues, but low frame rate on the source video. Don't know why they didn't do higher frame rates when all of it looked to be cgi anyway.

I think Disney is using Nokia's new 360 Video/VR camera. it's a $60,000 dollar camera that films 360/4k res I believe but they decided to cap the frame rate at 30 fps for some odd reason..

Puzzling for a camera so expensive. I saw it at NAB show and demoed some of their VR videos and was not particularly impressed.

jaypah

My SO surprised me with a pre-order email in early April and I was pumped. I can't even imagine how stoked you are to go from not even knowing a Vive was coming to unwrapping one in a fucking present. That's awesome! You'll find plenty to do with your hands, trust me lol. Congrats!

The lighthouses will not go into standby mode when I quit SteamVR. Do I pair the lighthouses via bluetooth using the Windows utility or does it pair automatically with SteamVR?

Edit:

Nevermind, after restarting SteamVR and quitting a second time, they did finally go into standby mode.

tokkun

I have one of mine mounted on a lamp and have had no problems with it, including using it while the lamp is on.

KillerAJD

Woo! My Vive showed up about 3 hours ago, and it's awesome! Have only got to mess around in Job Sim, the free skeet game, and pitch hit. Couple things though:

-I don't really have room in my bedroom, so I set it up in my living room. Set up was easy, but I have USB and HDMI extenders coming so I don't have to lug the PC into the living room. I also forgot I don't have internet access out here, so that's kind of a pain. Will be fixed soon though. Might get another lighthouse if they become available again so I don't have to disconnect one for racing games in my room.
-I thought I had tons of room in the living room, but as far as I can tell in what I've played so far, I only have a tiny space to play in. In job sim, I'm pretty much stationary, otherwise I hit the boundary's. Might be able to make some more space, but it's still cool as it is.
-Holy shit I sweat a lot. The foam is going to be disgusting by the weekend, haha. Going to have to look into the vr covers, or maybe making my own. It doesn't help that it's like 90 degrees here in California right now!!
-Had a few missing frames messages pop up in job sim. I have a 3570k(oc'd to 4.3 I think) and a 980, and I know the CPU is the weak spot there, but I'm hoping it'll make do for now. I didn't see any graphics settings in job sim, so I guess I'll have to suffer for now. Other than the messages, it seemed fine, and the other games were perfect. I just hope Pcars works OK, as racing Sims are what I plan to use it most with.
-The cable is a pain, but you forget about it pretty quickly. I bought a clip to hang off my pants, so I'll see how that goes soon. I did have to play without headphones for now though, as that is unmanageable until I rout the cable correctly.
-Screen quality wise, I didn't notice SD yet, but I need to figure out how to wear the thing correctly, because it kept loosening and getting blury. Just have to spend more time with that I guess. I can tell the resolution isn't amazing, but again, you forget about that pretty quickly.
-I think I may lose a bit of weight thanks to this, haha. Lord knows I need to lose it anyways, might as well have fun doing it!

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
The lighthouses will not go into standby mode when I quit SteamVR. Do I pair the lighthouses via bluetooth using the Windows utility or does it pair automatically with SteamVR?

Edit:

Nevermind, after restarting SteamVR and quitting a second time, they did finally go into standby mode.

It is super finicky. Just make sure that you close SteamVR properly prior to unplugging the headset (if you unplug it). It can take a few minutes for them to wake up when you launch SteamVR again as well. If you get impatient you can just unplug/replug the power.

DJ88

Might as well go founders edition tbh. Im in the same boat as you.

Why get a 980Ti that is close in price to the FE 1080 and will not match it in performance even if OC'd?(I know they're extremely close when OC'd but it still doesnt 'match' it)

That is true. I just kind of feel like a sucker buying a reference model card when OC'd ones are relatively right around the corner. But relative to the the time I'll have my Vive just sitting here unused, it feels like an eternity lol.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've had some time to play around and So far TheBlu is awesome for everyone's first thing to try..
The Lab is just bloody amazing. I really love that wizards store thing..man just so captivating an environment.
Virtual Desktop is eh..I do like being able to watch Plex movies in the bigscreen with it.
I get a lotta fresnel glare watching movies tho, not sure why,I used the nvidia video controls to try and tone down the brightness of videos to try and compensate abit. God ray halos everywhere tho.

I think I'm kinda lucky in one reguard tho, I have fairly shallow cheekbones and slightly budging eyes that the lens are actually quite close to my eyes with no adjustments. I find I can make out all the pixels easily and the sweetspot is fine..its more distortion away from center then blurry..hard to describe when I focus on it It reminds me of a shadowmask filter, its causes a dithering effect to the image which so far is only an issue reading small text.. You just kinda see past it once I'm doing something.

Got Elite Dangerous up and running and set to the recommended settings from the other thread for the nvidia control panel. I set for VR Low and upped to 1.5 supersamping. Its still juddery in the Stations but I can read the interface on the hud's no problem
Flying tho...WOW what a sense of scale, a Vulture cockpit always seemed like the size of an xwing ...now it feels HUGE! Bounty Hunting in the Asteroid Belt Resource Extraction Points are a trip..so fun. Hope they get some improved filtering..but I love it if I can get a 1080 soon to run it a better settings I'll be playing the hell out of it.

So much fun

I've had some time to play around and So far TheBlu is awesome for everyone's first thing to try..
The Lab is just bloody amazing. I really love that wizards store thing..man just so captivating an environment.
Virtual Desktop is eh..I do like being able to watch Plex movies in the bigscreen with it.
I get a lotta fresnel glare watching movies tho, not sure why,I used the nvidia video controls to try and tone down the brightness of videos to try and compensate abit. God ray halos everywhere tho.

I think I'm kinda lucky in one reguard tho, I have fairly shallow cheekbones and slightly budging eyes that the lens are actually quite close to my eyes with no adjustments. I find I can make out all the pixels easily and the sweetspot is fine..its more distortion away from center then blurry..hard to describe when I focus on it It reminds me of a shadowmask filter, its causes a dithering effect to the image which so far is only an issue reading small text.. You just kinda see past it once I'm doing something.

Got Elite Dangerous up and running and set to the recommended settings from the other thread for the nvidia control panel. I set for VR Low and upped to 1.5 supersamping. Its still juddery in the Stations but I can read the interface on the hud's no problem
Flying tho...WOW what a sense of scale, a Vulture cockpit always seemed like the size of an xwing ...now it feels HUGE! Bounty Hunting in the Asteroid Belt Resource Extraction Points are a trip..so fun. Hope they get some improved filtering..but I love it if I can get a 1080 soon to run it a better settings I'll be playing the hell out of it.

So much fun

Yes, all of the ships in Elite are huge, even the "little" Sidewinder is like the size of a small house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x08skupb8cc

It's hard to appreciate the scale until you play in VR, then it is so immediately apparent is kind of shocking.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Now that my elite issue is fixed i gave it a try and...Damn...what an experience. If someone doesn't release an Xwing game for VR shame will be brought down on all of humanity. Horrible, oppresive, shame!

Also, vr fzero type game please.

Btw, is there anywhere to get vr game and tech news that is updated daily?

Zalusithix

I'm going to assume we're similar in age.

Can you imagine showing people from the year 1985 this technology. Better yet, can you imagine showing people from the industrial revolution this technology? They would think you were an alien from another dimension

Yep, I've thought about those sorts of things many times before. Hell, it blows my mind now with what we're capable of. We tend to take everything for granted, but when you start to actually think about what we're doing as a species, it's amazing stuff.

And speaking of which, that's actually one of the points where VR has major potential: history. To truly appreciate the present, one has to understand the past and what better way to grasp the past than to virtually exist in it? Books leave everything to the imagination. Movies go to the other end of the spectrum and leave you as a passive viewer. VR though? See, hear, and interact as if you were there. Sure, we could technically do that outside of VR, but without the scale and presence it's not the same.

I've watched plenty of nature documentaries, for instance, but nothing could compare to the impact of the size of the whale in theBlu. I've used countless 'realistic' guns in FPS games over the years, but nothing has felt realistic like a gun in H3VR. I've seen and read plenty on the Apollo program, but nothing could convey the feeling of being in the command module like Apollo 11 VR. Now factor in that these VR experiences have been made quickly on a shoestring budget compared to the more traditional productions. They're also being experienced on first generation hardware that's far below the fidelity provided by the competition. Yet despite that all, they're offering something that the other mediums can't. That says a lot.

The more I play audioshield the less I like it, I mean it's not bad but I never really feel like the game make you play in rythm with your song

I find it really depends on the song as not all feel "fun" especially on the easier difficulties, so I play on the hardest (don't care if I miss a lot). Some songs I always come back to are Andrew WK (Party Hard and She Is Beautiful), No Doubt (New) and even Kelly Clarkson (My Life Would Suck Without You).

jotun?

Edit:

It is super finicky. Just make sure that you close SteamVR properly prior to unplugging the headset (if you unplug it). It can take a few minutes for them to wake up when you launch SteamVR again as well. If you get impatient you can just unplug/replug the power.

Just got my Vive set up tonight, and now I'm curious about this. Do I need a bluetooth dongle or something to make this happen, or is the headset supposed to talk to them? Do I need to install anything other than SteamVR?

Zalusithix

Just got my Vive set up tonight, and now I'm curious about this. Do I need a bluetooth dongle or something to make this happen, or is the headset supposed to talk to them? Do I need to install anything other than SteamVR?

No, you don't need a dongle or anything other than SteamVR. It's an option within SteamVR that you need to tick to turn them off automatically. Once that's set, they'll shut off shortly after you exit SteamVR and turn on when you start it up again.

pj

Banned

How about a used 980ti? Their values are tanking on ebay so you can probably get one for $400-450

Space Pirate Trainer is the shit. I only had a few runs since I played it last and I need to crash but goddamn that's some shootin'. I dig Valve's sphere shmup as well.

I'm sweaty and need to sleep. VR is in me.

derFeef

So far I have yet to play a game where I do not notice the pixels/ca anymore. The Lab comes the closest, but still...
I am VERY sensitive to vertigo, but none of the games that should trigger it (like the thing in The Lab, looking from the top rock) - did anything to me, nothing. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is true. I just kind of feel like a sucker buying a reference model card when OC'd ones are relatively right around the corner. But relative to the the time I'll have my Vive just sitting here unused, it feels like an eternity lol.

Wait, or pick up a cheap (used?) 970 to tide you over. A 980 is a mistake as some of the tech in the 1080 could be great for VR, on top of the power advantage. Or go for a founders edition (personally I'd want a nice custom cooler for quietness and maybe better overclocking though)

So far I have yet to play a game where I do not notice the pixels/ca anymore. The Lab comes the closest, but still...
I am VERY sensitive to vertigo, but none of the games that should trigger it (like the thing in The Lab, looking from the top rock) - did anything to me, nothing. :(

Try the steam punk skyscraper demo in Oculus Dreamdeck using revive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom