• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem

So far I have yet to play a game where I do not notice the pixels/ca anymore. The Lab comes the closest, but still...
I am VERY sensitive to vertigo, but none of the games that should trigger it (like the thing in The Lab, looking from the top rock) - did anything to me, nothing. :(

How about looking down the last section of Portal Stories. That made me a little nervous.

Krejlooc

Banned
Weren't you guys working on HL2VR too? What happened to that?

Valve's official VR support dried up about a year ago, and if we were to go back to the last version of our mod that had our own VR support that didn't rely on Valve's official support, we'd be going back to SDK 0.4. Essentially, we'd need to rewrite our entire mod from scratch.

We were recently talking about doing just that, though, but in the mean time we're all sort of working on different things.

YEESSss. Surprised we haven't seen anyone really do it yet. The concept is perfect for VR.

Well, what I envision probably isn't the sort of game you're thinking about. I think a first person panzer dragoon makes a lot of sense, but what I'm going to be making is more like Panzer Dragoon meets Zaxxon.

Krejlooc

Banned
So far I have yet to play a game where I do not notice the pixels/ca anymore. The Lab comes the closest, but still...
I am VERY sensitive to vertigo, but none of the games that should trigger it (like the thing in The Lab, looking from the top rock) - did anything to me, nothing. :(

Try getting Wind Waker working in Dolphin VR, and use the First Person AR code. Early on in the game when you have to climb the tall spire on your home island to cross the bridge is really scary in VR, even with the cartoon graphics. You feel very high up.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Try getting Wind Waker working in Dolphin VR, and use the First Person AR code. Early on in the game when you have to climb the tall spire on your home island to cross the bridge is really scary in VR, even with the cartoon graphics. You feel very high up.

How does dolphin and VR work? Never really tried Dolphin very much, but I would love to play Wind Waker, and Metroid in VR.

How does camera control work? Can I just control it with the gamepad and feel like I am looking at Link from above? Kind of like Lucky's Tale?

Krejlooc

Banned
How does dolphin and VR work? Never really tried Dolphin very much, but I would love to play Wind Waker, and Metroid in VR.

How does camera control work? Can I just control it with the gamepad and feel like I am looking at Link from above? Kind of like Lucky's Tale?

There are special VR options available in the dolphin VR menu that lets you change how it works in VR. Normally, Wind Waker would play like Lucky's Tale, but there is an AR code for Wind Waker that enables a first person mode. You still play with a normal gamepad but with first person controls, kind of like Metroid Prime. If you use the lock on or shield, the camera pulls back to a third person view. Some video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vXhvacz7bY

There are many AR codes out there that improve VR compatibility. Like there is one for Sonic Colors that unlocks the framerate to 60 FPS, and one in Metroid Prime 1-3 that disables level clipping.

That seems like an odd thing to say? Lots of games rely on the hardware to add something. Would you want to play uncharted 4 on a PSOne? Or Wii bowling on a normal controller? I'm actually happily surprised at how compelling simple mechanics can be in VR that would be dull with a controller and a TV. Space Pirate trainer is a good example.

That is not the problem facing these games. The problem facing these games is a lack of adequate content in order to sustain interest.

Vanishing Realms would be an awesome game if it simply had tons more content. Sure, the quality of content can be a lot better, but that's not the problem right now. Quantity is the problem

And that problem will gradually be solved with increasing budgets, time and a growing install base.

Agreed. It's an overused argument at this point and it doesn't make much sense most of the time. Who cares if a VR game isn't fun without VR? Is basketball fun without the ball?

The only question that matters is if it IS fun in VR. Certain aspects of a game that don't rely on VR deserve such critical analysis, such as story, music, bugs etc. But to make vague statements like "these games made specifically for VR are mediocre without VR" are totally meaningless.

I disagree. The experience should be compelling in and of its own right, and this would help the games significantly. Yes, Uncharted looks great on current gen hardware, and Wii Bowling is fun because of the physicality of the controls, but these games could arguably be just as captivating without the hardware benefits if they were competent enough mechanically. I would play a bowling game that didn't have motion controls if it was good enough. I would play Uncharted 4 with PS1 style graphics if the gameplay was compelling enough (although in this case, from what little I've played of UC4 that doesn't seem to be the case). I still play Pokemon Red even though it looks like ass, because the mechanics are good enough to merit the experience.

I don't mind experiences being built with VR in mind, or really even for VR (like Budget Cuts), but stuff like BC is so great because it also happens to be a good game. I would play it on my monitor with a gamepad, or on a N64 with all of the technical limitations that come with it. VR just serves to elevate the experience.

Edit: I can definitely agree that quantity of content is the bigger issue than quality for now. That said, I personally just don't think that a lot of these games are that good even if they had a reasonable amount of content. I respect that you think that Vanishing Realms would be an awesome game without VR, but I just don't see it. If Vanishing Realms was a complete, 9-12 hour game (or even sprawling, 40+ hour experience), I still wouldn't bother playing it over something like Skyrim.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess we're jus going to disagree then. No bowling game with a standard controller is going to provide the immediate feedback and lack of abstraction that using a wiimote does. You swing the wiimote and it bowls a ball. Then you think, "I wonder how I can out spin on the ball?" - well you just twist your wrist like you would expect to. No matter how good an on screen, button based control scheme is, you can't compete with something that is so close to the actual experience. That's why I think certain games like cloudlands or space pirate trainer work so well despite being so relatively simple or a retread of what we've seen a thousand times before.

That won't always be the case, and it may be limited to a range of mechanics that truly benefit from removing abstraction from the user - golf, tennis, bowling, shooting all seem natural fits for that kind of thing.

For games where you might not have a real world comparison it might be very different. I agree to an extent with games like vanishing realms that once you get over the initial 'wow' it would be good to have some more meat on the bones (sorry skellies..)

feels like rock band. "you don't need music instruments it would be just as fun with controller buttons"

if people can learn to understand rock band then people should be able to understand VR and vive controllers

Scapegoat

To those of you who also had a bad time with Project Cars - I played around a bit more and sussed that it's all the AI opponents that were tanking my FPS and putting me into vomit mode. Loaded up a practice lap (in the go kart) and it was buttery smooth, and novel as hell. No dropped frames. Next I jumped into a quickrace by myself in a Mitzi Lancer and that's when it got real!!!... Well first I had to play around to get the head position just right (I found I had to angle down a bit at my wheel and then hit reset), but after that, damn. Just the next level: the full cockpit effect of the car surrounding you, and glancing across at your wing and rear mirrors, looking into turns, putting your foot down and watching the world blur by out the side window! It doesn't even matter that they look like weird animated stickers lol, I presume because I have all post processing off, low lighting, etc. Only visual settings not on low/off are textures on medium and 4X whatever AA solution they have. Visuals look fine, IMO.

970 GTX, 4960K, 16GB

mrklaw

MrArseFace
irrational exuberance - wow. I spent ages in the first section before...getting past it. Won't say anything more but it was crazy and definitely something everyone should try - free demo on steam.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So how do you get the 3 pack in games? I looked thru the box again and I don't have any printouts with codes on them. I haven't gotten any emails either

Is it perhaps part of the registration process?
I'd really like to try tilt brush and Fantastic Contraption.. :(

Zalusithix

So how do you get the 3 pack in games? I looked thru the box again and I don't have any printouts with codes on them. I haven't gotten any emails either

Is it perhaps part of the registration process?
I'd really like to try tilt brush and Fantastic Contraption.. :(

Email, within 24 hours of shipment typically. Check your spam folder.

Sci-fi Rush 2049-esque stunt racer Distance now has preliminary Vive support in their experimental beta branch. So far, no complaints. Does a few things that might bother people like some forced camera movement, however, so those that are sensitive to that might want to beware. I want to say the dev talked about adding options to disable that, but I didn't check to see if they were there or not.

corneliusb

Neo Member
uggg.. Ya nothing in my junk folder..but I still never got a shipping notification either
so until i see that I probably won't get codes :(

Contact support, I didn't receive codes and just used the live chat and they provided them pretty much instantly. Was an issue on their end as I hadn't received shipping info either.

I'm not exactly a world class weight lifter or anything, but also not out of shape. I have a regular running routine. Let's say I am not in or out of shape. I am shape.

Why the hell am I sore, VR? What are you doing to my body.

kinggroin

Banned
I disagree. The experience should be compelling in and of its own right, and this would help the games significantly. Yes, Uncharted looks great on current gen hardware, and Wii Bowling is fun because of the physicality of the controls, but these games could arguably be just as captivating without the hardware benefits if they were competent enough mechanically. I would play a bowling game that didn't have motion controls if it was good enough. I would play Uncharted 4 with PS1 style graphics if the gameplay was compelling enough (although in this case, from what little I've played of UC4 that doesn't seem to be the case). I still play Pokemon Red even though it looks like ass, because the mechanics are good enough to merit the experience.

I don't mind experiences being built with VR in mind, or really even for VR (like Budget Cuts), but stuff like BC is so great because it also happens to be a good game. I would play it on my monitor with a gamepad, or on a N64 with all of the technical limitations that come with it. VR just serves to elevate the experience.

Edit: I can definitely agree that quantity of content is the bigger issue than quality for now. That said, I personally just don't think that a lot of these games are that good even if they had a reasonable amount of content. I respect that you think that Vanishing Realms would be an awesome game without VR, but I just don't see it. If Vanishing Realms was a complete, 9-12 hour game (or even sprawling, 40+ hour experience), I still wouldn't bother playing it over something like Skyrim.

I mean I agree in theory. It makes sense that a great game is a great game regardless of its delivery, and when said delivery is one that serves to enhance the already great game, you have a harmony that takes the experience up a notch.

That said. Your way of thinking about it sounds reductive to me, as if you are distilling the experience in order to convince yourself you shouldn't be having the fun you're (hopefully) having.

Not saying it isn't worth some level of discussion, just not seeing it's importance within the context of an early library/platform launch specifically if we are enjoying these games a s a result of this platform's capability.

Mr.Sword

Hey guys, I'm in the prcoess of setting up the vive right now and I need some help!

Do I need 2 base stations on 2 opposite walls or is 1 just enough? I really want to avoid any unnecessary holes in the wall. Also, do I need to connect the micro usb right now?

Hey guys, I'm in the prcoess of setting up the vive right now and I need some help!

Do I need 2 base stations on 2 opposite walls or is 1 just enough? I really want to avoid any unnecessary holes in the wall. Also, do I need to connect the micro usb right now?
you do not need to connect the micro usb for the lighthouses unless they are having sync issues.

you do need 2 lighthouses, 1 wont be able to detect the controllers if your back is to the light house and the controller is in front of your body

If you are worried about holes, there are alternative mounting options

Mr.Sword

you do not need to connect the micro usb for the lighthouses unless they are having sync issues.

you do need 2 lighthouses, 1 wont be able to detect the controllers if your back is to the light house and the controller is in front of your body

If you are worried about holes, there are alternative mounting options

How far apart can they be from me? my desk is on the right corner of the room so the left base station will be 5m apart from me, is that ok?

Also, if I go with one sensor, it will be on the left side so I think it should be alright?

I set both of mine on steady surfaces just to get a feel for how everything works before mounting them. I don't feel like fixing holes because I am a dummy, as well. Has been fine so far and I'll probably mount them tonight. I'd give it a shot, just make sure you aren't setting them on wobbly boxes or whatever.

How far apart can they be from me? my desk is on the right corner of the room so the left base station will be 5m apart from me, is that ok?
you want them in opposite corners of your rectangle, they can be pretty damn far apart. If they are super far the sync cable may be necessary, though people have reported using them beyond the max listed distance for use without the sync cable with no issues
Also, if I go with one sensor, it will be on the left side so I think it should be alright?
if you are doing roomscale, 1 will never be alright. if you are doing seated only, 1 should get you by

If they are super far the sync cable may be necessary, though people have reported using them beyond the max listed distance for use without the sync cable with no issues

Yeah, I'm currently around 20' (6m) without a sync cable and no issues so far. But also why I am a little nervous to mount anything yet. I want to try it a lot before doing so.

Also one box is quite a bit higher than the other, and not angled down at all, because that is just how much shelf situation is working out atm and I figured it might be problematic, but rock solid so far.

Do not go with one lighthouse ever.

The Vive has no diodes (tracking sensors) on the back of the headset, so as soon as you turned your head more than 90 degrees roughly from a lighthouse to the left or right, such as trying to look behind you, you would lose tracking. If you start with your sensor to your left in a corner, that's potentially even worse because while you'd probably be able to look behind you on your left side, if you started turning to your right, you'd lose tracking before you'd be able to look behind you.

The Vive needs both sensors set up and both of them must be able to see you when you are seated. If you use only one sensor, it's pretty much like the experience of using a Rift DK2, and if you want to do that, you should have your sensor centered in front of you, looking down to get the best view.

viveks86

If Vanishing Realms was a complete, 9-12 hour game (or even sprawling, 40+ hour experience), I still wouldn't bother playing it over something like Skyrim.

Your whole argument boils down to this unrealistic expectation. To compare a launch game for a brand new piece of tech from a developer who singlehandedly built the whole game to something like Skyrim is, to be honest, ridiculous.

Yes, all these games could be objectively better with better depth, design, narration and mechanics, but that's not the problem at launch. The problem, as I said, isn't that these games lose their charm after a few hours. They literally don't even last that long.

If this doesn't make sense, we'll just have to agree to disagree. All I can say is... don't expect any masterpieces anytime soon. They don't come with regular console launches (a far more mature medium), they sure as hell aren't coming with the advent of consumer grade VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just yanked the headset off the shelf and the cables out of the link box while walking out of the spare room quickly. Storing the cable is more of a pain than storing the headset - just ends up flopping all over the floor. Hope its ok - luckily I have carpet in that room

MaDKaT

I am in a similar boat since Im renting. Needed to minimize holes, didnt want to set up poles and especially didnt want to use the included wall mounting hardware. Searched online for alternatives but ended up making my own wall mounts that only require a single nail hole, per unit, the size of a tack(uses 5 or 10# picture hangers). So far has worked out great.

vive wall mount

Mr.Sword

Holy shit gaf it worked!! wtf was that.. those were awesome awesome 10 seconds!

until the tracking disconnected... lol

I need to find a way to setup the second station before I try again.

Thanks for all the help!!

Your whole argument boils down to this unrealistic expectation. To compare a launch game for a brand new piece of tech from a developer who singlehandedly built the whole game to something like Skyrim is, to be honest, ridiculous.

Yes, all these games could be objectively better with better depth, design, narration and mechanics, but that's not the problem at launch. The problem, as I said, isn't that these games lose their charm after a few hours. They literally don't even last that long.

If this doesn't make sense, we'll just have to agree to disagree. All I can say is... don't expect any masterpieces anytime soon. They don't come with regular console launches (a far more mature medium), they sure as hell aren't coming with the advent of consumer grade VR.

I'm not saying I necessarily expect there to be a Skyrim caliber game in the first few months of these devices existing on a consumer level, but thats the goal obviously.

pj

Banned
I am in a similar boat since Im renting. Needed to minimize holes, didnt want to set up poles and especially didnt want to use the included wall mounting hardware. Searched online for alternatives but ended up making my own wall mounts that only require a single nail hole, per unit, the size of a tack(uses 5 or 10# picture hangers). So far has worked out great.

vive wall mount

For people who may want to move their lighthouses periodically or don't know which location for them will be best, floor to ceiling curtain rods work great.

I saw it on reddit and it is working great for me. It allows me to easily change my play area depending on how much furniture I feel like moving.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3B4YPS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0114OF7TY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Does anyone have the problem where after you exit a game it doesn't close and the only way to start something else is to restart the headset and steam? Its super annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom