• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korezo

Is there a way to hide the steamVr box that pops and stays in your desktop? Or is there a way to watch online videos on steam theater mode?

Figured how to hide box.

everyone buy catlateral damage for $5. i haven't had this 'joy of vr' since first getting the headset. The previous sentences are a link to the store page that has this game on sale for $5. You should get it. You = everyone with a vive.

You probably need a mindset of a cat to enjoy it like I did. "Fuck this. Fuck you. fuck everything."

here's a thread I made of Vive compaitble games ons ale at humble bundle, less than 19 hours on the sale prices https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4jw21f/humble_spring_sale_vive_compatible_games/
Is there a way to hide the steamVr box that pops and stays in your desktop? Or is there a way to watch online videos on steam theater mode?

Figured how to hide box.
Maybe you should share with the class how you hid the box.

UnrealEck

So.... what do I do with this thing now? I haven't touched my Vive in over a week and I only got it two weeks ago. lol

I'm in the same situation.
I considered selling it.

I think it's going to be 2017 when we start seeing some bigger and better games in VR. And by then we'll probably be seeing at least rumours of Rift 2 and Vive 2.

I fucking hate selling expensive things though. Unless I can deal face to face and even then if you sell it and they have problems with it...

I think VR games are going to be one-trick ponies for a while. Games that revolve around one basic function. The others that are more ambitious are probably going to remain very short and unpolished for a long time too.

Here's a question for you. Do you own Elite Dangerous and a HOTAS? I don't and I'm wondering if it'll change my mind on the Vive and VR in general.

How is movement implemented in that game?

teleport and room scale. I hit a lot of irl stuff before forcing myself to stay in the middle of my room

seriously everyone buy this game (if you like this gif)

vdLE8dJ.gif

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Getting my vive tomorrow. The wait is finally over.

Me too, but its weird. I ordered it when the first GTX 1080 news hit and thought it would ship in mid-late June giving me some time to upgrade my ancient 670. Now I will have a Vive with no GPU to drive the thing. I don't want to buy anything less than a 1080 for obvious reasons so I am going to be stuck sitting with my Vive and not really being able to use it.

I considered selling it.

I'm curious, so Minecraft VR is possible. If someone had a minecraft habit, would they choose to play VR minecraft regularly, or just once to go wow, once to show to friends and that's basically it. They'd go back to their monitor and slouched in a chair or couch + tv.

Because if after the wow, it isn't preferable to the 2d experience, then that isn't a great sign for re-experiencing existing games "but in VR". That just leaves pure designed for VR, doesn't work on a screen, type games as the hook. Which beyond tech demos, we don't seem to have until PS4 VR.

everyone buy catlateral damage for $5. i haven't had this 'joy of vr' since first getting the headset. The previous sentences are a link to the store page that has this game on sale for $5. You should get it. You = everyone with a vive.

You probably need a mindset of a cat to enjoy it like I did. "Fuck this. Fuck you. fuck everything."

here's a thread I made of Vive compaitble games ons ale at humble bundle, less than 19 hours on the sale prices https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4jw21f/humble_spring_sale_vive_compatible_games/Maybe you should share with the class how you hid the box.

Eh I don't know. This has always looked like kind of a "pointless" game to me. Do you get scored at all? I mean I get that people could be in to it without any "point" to it at all but I'm not really going to enjoy it if all you're doing is knocking stuff down just for the sake of knocking stuff down.

Korezo

here's a thread I made of Vive compaitble games ons ale at humble bundle, less than 19 hours on the sale prices https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4jw21f/humble_spring_sale_vive_compatible_games/Maybe you should share with the class how you hid the box.

From a reddit post,

Open up SteamVR, click the SteamVR dropdown arrow then -> "Settings" -> General -> Uncheck the box for "SteamVR status window always on top.

UnrealEck

I'm curious, so Minecraft VR is possible. If someone had a minecraft habit, would they choose to play VR minecraft regularly, or just once to go wow, once to show to friends and that's basically it.
I played Minecraft for a while maybe 2 years or so ago. Played it for a few days but I spent a fair amount of hours with it. I tried it in Vive too and from what I've seen I'd say that people who love the game probably would rather play it in VR. The problem with Vive is the headset. It's not that comfortable to be wearing for hours. I find myself figeting with it every so often and if I don't have it on tight, I get worse FOV and if I do have it tighter, it hurts my brow or cheekbones.
I can see someone play it in VR for a while on and off though, definitely.

With regards to PSVR, I think VR needs investments. Developers can't spend the time making big 'proper' games on Vive or Rift (or PSVR) unless they're sure it'll pay off. And right now, not enough people have VR headsets. Nowhere near enough for a team of people to spend a year making a game. Sony will undoubtedly make investments to fund bigger game developers to make games for their headset. I'm sure Facebook will be funding more stuff but I'm unsure as to how much they'll be investing in Oculus Rift as a full on gaming platform, to bring proper games to it. Valve seems to be letting people do what they want. They seem to be sticking with their Greenlight style, which means we'll see nothing but the same tripe we've been seeing so far outside of FB and Sony funded games.

Eh I don't know. This has always looked like kind of a "pointless" game to me. Do you get scored at all? I mean I get that people could be in to it without any "point" to it at all but I'm not really going to enjoy it if all you're doing is knocking stuff down just for the sake of knocking stuff down.
There's an objective mode in which you must knock over x things in y minutes.

$5 is low enough for me to have a tiny joy from kocking stuff down just for the sake of knocking stuff down

I considered selling it.

I think it's going to be 2017 when we start seeing some bigger and better games in VR. And by then we'll probably be seeing at least rumours of Rift 2 and Vive 2.

I fucking hate selling expensive things though. Unless I can deal face to face and even then if you sell it and they have problems with it...

I think VR games are going to be one-trick ponies for a while. Games that revolve around one basic function. The others that are more ambitious are probably going to remain very short and unpolished for a long time too.

Here's a question for you. Do you own Elite Dangerous and a HOTAS? I don't and I'm wondering if it'll change my mind on the Vive and VR in general.

I do and I've played it. It was amazing and if I were more into the game, I would definitely spend a lot of time in VR. However, I could never really get into Elite.

jaypah

2 weeks in and I can't wait to get home and put the headset on. I've played it until at least 1:00 in the morning every night since it arrived. I haven't even had a slight interest in traditional TV/monitor games. I remember thinking how awesome it would be to have Uncharted 4 and my Vive so I could sit back and relax on the sofa with UC4 when I didn't feel like using the Vive. Lol, fuck that. Maybe next month.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

This "game" was absolutely awful. And I was into the concept.

You literally do nothing but warp around and knock things around with your paws. That's it. No goals, nothing. And even the physics on objects isn't that good.

I want my $5 back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
2 weeks in and I can't wait to get home and put the headset on. I've played it until at least 1:00 in the morning every night since it arrived. I haven't even had a slight interest in traditional TV/monitor games. I remember thinking how awesome it would be to have Uncharted 4 and my Vive so I could sit back and relax on the sofa with UC4 when I didn't feel like using the Vive. Lol, fuck that. Maybe next month.

Well PS4 remote play seems to work well in virtual desktop, as does Xbox streaming..

Trojan

Well PS4 remote play seems to work well in virtual desktop, as does Xbox streaming..

Has anyone tried PS4 remote play while using the Vive in Virtual Desktop or BigScreen? I was thinking about trying this last weekend but didn't have a chance. If others have had good results I'm def going to fire this up over the weekend.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
loving the new Holodeck SteamVR environment. Set chaperone colors to match its perfect as loading screen between games.

So much fun to have so little time.
5A42A698552AAB743F8401FA83A56A8E7297C480

This "game" was absolutely awful. And I was into the concept.

You literally do nothing but warp around and knock things around with your paws. That's it. No goals, nothing. And even the physics on objects isn't that good.

I want my $5 back.
I am surprised that people do not share my opinion. Sorry about that.

Korezo

Has anyone tried PS4 remote play while using the Vive in Virtual Desktop or BigScreen? I was thinking about trying this last weekend but didn't have a chance. If others have had good results I'm def going to fire this up over the weekend.

Was about to do that just now with mlb the show, Im worried about the quality though, because I played a regular pc game on theater mode and the game was real blurry.

Just tried it, can't run ps4 remoteplay with steam theater, opens in desktop.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
All the environments where you are floating above the ground on a little platform really bug me.

its not a 360 picture background
its a fully rendered room you can walk around in...like the lab but you can't teleport to different area's within it..

Onemic

IT CAME!!

Just like BloodyDrake I didnt receive an email stating that it had shipped. My only problem now is that I have a grossly underpowered GPU until the 1080 hits (R9 270) and Im still waiting on 1 mounting rod from Amazon.

Is there anyway to set up the lighthouses to decently track my head movements for a seated experience since I dont have both my mounting rods yet? I'll probably try Minecrift and some old VorpX titles in the meantime before the 1080 comes out.

Trouble

Banned
its not a 360 picture background
its a fully rendered room you can walk around in...like the lab but you can't teleport to different area's within it..

Oh, it's not the one that been there for a while? I'll have to check it out. I haven't checked what's available in a while.

IT CAME!!

Just like BloodyDrakew I didnt receive an email stating that it had shipped. My only problem now is that I have a grossly underpowered GPU until the 1080 hits (R9 270) and Im still waiting on 1 mounting rod from Amazon.

Is there anyway to set up the lighthouses to decently track my head movements for a seated experience since I dont have both my mounting rods yet? I'll probably try Minecrift and some old VorpX titles in the meantime before the 1080 comes out.

You only need 1 lighthouse for seated, I think. IIRC, you should put a single lighthouse on channel A.

Also, Minecrift is room-scale.

Onemic

Oh, it's not the one that been there for a while? I'll have to check it out. I haven't checked what's available in a while.

You only need 1 lighthouse for seated, I think. IIRC, you should put a single lighthouse on channel A.

Also, Minecrift is room-scale.

hmmm, how high up do the lighthouses need to be to properly track for roomscale? Do they both need to be the same height?

Samaritan

hmmm, how high up do the lighthouses need to be to properly track for roomscale? Do they both need to be the same height?

It's recommended that you position them at least 6.5' off the ground, but differences in height between the two shouldn't be a problem so long as your headset/controllers can see both of them clearly.

Korezo

Is there a way to move the picture further away from you when in vr mode, everything is too close to my face when in desktop mode.

jaypah

Lol, not what I'm currently looking for but not a bad idea for whenever this roomscale honeymoon ends. Thanks for the heads up.

Unrelated, are you doing any dev work with the Vive? I mean even from a hobby standpoint? You've had some pretty cool outlooks on VR. Just curious if you're dabbling.

look under the environment section not backgrounds

Also make sure you're in the SteamVR beta. I don't think it's in the regular version yet.

I think the environments do a great job of getting rid of the "floating flat floor" feeling a lot of the 360 backgrounds have. Some of them pair really well too.

Two of my go-to favorites are:

Mirror's Edge background
with
Circle Stage environment

&

The Witness Background
with
Floating Island environment

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I finally got it working: I bought a PC this evening around a 980ti.

I wish resolution was better, but TheBlue got me like everyone else. The setting process in VR is charming. Virtual Desktop looks better than I expected. And I tried HoloBalls 5 minutes, enough to see the controllers work flawlessly.

I can't wait to try more apps this week and to show it to family and friends.

Has anyone tried Rocket League or Fifa on the huge virtual screen? How pleasing is it?

kinggroin

Banned
I finally got it working: I bought a PC this evening around a 980ti.

I wish resolution was better, but TheBlue got me like everyone else. The setting process in VR is charming. Virtual Desktop looks better than I expected. And I tried HoloBalls 5 minutes, enough to see the controllers work flawlessly.

I can't wait to try more apps this week and to show it to family and friends.

Has anyone tried Rocket League or Fifa on the huge virtual screen? How pleasing is it?

Like playing on a large (200") consumer projection system. But low res.

It's fine for movies where you don't give a shit about image quality, but some games suffer due to visibility or ui being blurry.

Onemic

How do you enable VorpX with the Vive? Should the headset be on beforehand? Steam keeps saying that it will open it up in theater mode when the headset is turned on beforehand.

EDIT: with steamVR turned on I still dont get anything. Just a "This is Real" message when trying to run a VorpX enabled title.

I also cant install minecrift. It keeps telling me I dont have 1.71 installed.

How do you enable VorpX with the Vive? Should the headset be on beforehand? Steam keeps saying that it will open it up in theater mode when the headset is turned on beforehand.

EDIT: with steamVR turned on I still dont get anything. Just a "This is Real" message when trying to run a VorpX enabled title.

Bro, I know it sucks, but if I where you I would just wait till you had an powerful enough gpu to not spoil your first experience.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

1. Start VorpX.
2. Right click on it from the system tray and configure. Make sure you have selected the HTC Vive in the configuration.
3. Start Steam VR.
4. Right click > Properties in Steam on the game you want to try. Uncheck Steam Theater mode.
5. Launch the game.

From there it is a matter of getting the settings right in game. You can access the VorpX settings in-game by pressing DEL.

Trouble

Banned
Man Project Cars is fun! I'm not much a racing game fan so I was a little worried, but it feels so good.

I couldn't handle Karts though, that shit was making me dizzy. :p

Performance was good too, was worried after seeing some people have issues, but it was smooth on my 970. Can't wait to get a 1080 and really crank the settings up.

Trojan

What are the main differences between working on my desktop in Virtual Destop vs. using desktop in BigScreen Beta or just the Vive version of desktop? Just trying to figure out if it's worth having VD or if I can get a similar experience from BigScreen. I basically just want a good way to play 2d games and adjust the screen to my liking.

Yeah, I'm currently around 20' (6m) without a sync cable and no issues so far. But also why I am a little nervous to mount anything yet. I want to try it a lot before doing so.

Also one box is quite a bit higher than the other, and not angled down at all, because that is just how much shelf situation is working out atm and I figured it might be problematic, but rock solid so far.

This guy is a liar. Do not listen to his lies. I had loads of problems today with losing sync. Had two good SPT runs ruined because of it too. (I'm not bitter!!!)

I busted out a camera tripod and raised the lower box up about a foot, and brought it closer to the other box by about a meter. Reran setup. Had one hiccup after that but was fine. Not sure if it was moving it or redoing setup, probably a bit of both.

Onemic

1. Start VorpX.
2. Right click on it from the system tray and configure. Make sure you have selected the HTC Vive in the configuration.
3. Start Steam VR.
4. Right click > Properties in Steam on the game you want to try. Uncheck Steam Theater mode.
5. Launch the game.

From there it is a matter of getting the settings right in game. You can access the VorpX settings in-game by pressing DEL.

Thanks, got it working

Bro, I know it sucks, but if I where you I would just wait till you had an powerful enough gpu to not spoil your first experience.

Im limiting myself to vorpx titles and minecrift only. A 2 week wait with this thing just staring at me everyday isnt possible. My expectations are tempered because I know that Im very underspec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom