• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Banned
Anyone tried streaming?

I have a 4.2ghz 5820k and a OC'd 980ti and I was getting some in-game frame drops while streaming at 720p 60fps through OBS. Is that typical? Worst was on Job Simulator with spectator mode.

Zalusithix

• Goes to buy VorpX.
  • Notices payment processing is handled by DR.
  • Goes through with it anyhow despite knowing something would go wrong.
  • Order gets stuck in some bullshit verifying stage.
Like clockwork. Digital River: the only e-commerce provider that I've ever experienced that consistently can't provide digital products instantly after an order, and can manage to mess up a Paypal transaction.

Trojan

Reposting for new page, can anyone clarify if Virtual Desktop is worth it?

What are the main differences between working on my desktop in Virtual Destop vs. using desktop in BigScreen Beta or just the Vive version of desktop? Just trying to figure out if it's worth having VD or if I can get a similar experience from BigScreen. I basically just want a good way to play 2d games and adjust the screen to my liking.

UnrealEck

its not a 360 picture background
its a fully rendered room you can walk around in...like the lab but you can't teleport to different area's within it..

Then I need it.
Engage.

Anyone tried streaming?

I have a 4.2ghz 5820k and a OC'd 980ti and I was getting some in-game frame drops while streaming at 720p 60fps through OBS. Is that typical? Worst was on Job Simulator with spectator mode.

Yeah i've used OBS to stream and to record at 1080p 60 fps. (not at the same time).
I recorded Project Cars, Out of Ammo and Audioshield and I didn't really notice any problems from memory.
Project Cars was likely dropping to 45 FPS though, but the async timewarp-like thing Vive uses must have did its job well.
My specs are similar to yours. 980 Ti and a 6700 for the CPU (stock).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Lol, not what I'm currently looking for but not a bad idea for whenever this roomscale honeymoon ends. Thanks for the heads up.

Unrelated, are you doing any dev work with the Vive? I mean even from a hobby standpoint? You've had some pretty cool outlooks on VR. Just curious if you're dabbling.

No, it's been years since I did anything like that and the world is a very different place. I didn't even learn C, I did Pascal :) although UE4/Unity do sound quite approachable, I might see how easy they are to experiment with

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are the main differences between working on my desktop in Virtual Destop vs. using desktop in BigScreen Beta or just the Vive version of desktop? Just trying to figure out if it's worth having VD or if I can get a similar experience from BigScreen. I basically just want a good way to play 2d games and adjust the screen to my liking.

Haven't tried big screen but I think that is multiplayer focused?

Virtual desktop's main features for me are the ability to change the field of view and distance of the screen, and good support for 360/180 degree videos. The screen size is the most important - steamVR desktop mode is really difficult for me to see small text, so something common like wanting to change the audio routing settings in steamVR because it forgot them again, is made difficult because of that. Plus because the text is small it can be difficult to accurately click on an item.

Virtual desktop used to have a major failing that it needed a mouse and keyboard to use (steamVR uses a laser pointer coming out of the vive controller). But it just got updated and uses the vive trackpad as a mouse now, so it is much more usable without having to go and sit at your computer - especially useful if you just want to play a few videos.

kinggroin

Banned
Just watched Dead Alive with a couple strangers in AltSpace. Played some air hockey during the slower bits.

The future. Wow.

jerry2016-05-19_03-24wabz1.png

jerry2016-05-19_03-2428aht.png

Trojan

Virtual desktop's main features for me are the ability to change the field of view and distance of the screen, and good support for 360/180 degree videos. The screen size is the most important - steamVR desktop mode is really difficult for me to see small text, so something common like wanting to change the audio routing settings in steamVR because it forgot them again, is made difficult because of that. Plus because the text is small it can be difficult to accurately click on an item.

Virtual desktop used to have a major failing that it needed a mouse and keyboard to use (steamVR uses a laser pointer coming out of the vive controller). But it just got updated and uses the vive trackpad as a mouse now, so it is much more usable without having to go and sit at your computer - especially useful if you just want to play a few videos.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know

Dingles

Tried Revive last night. Lucky's Tale looks really nice, runs pretty smooth. Though the movement was unsettling, think this is due to the game?

I'm so used to movement of the camera being tied to my movement in the room at this point. I'm guessing the camera pan is just kicking my stomach in.

Couldn't get GZ3DOOM to work. I assume the Revive wrapper can't capture what calls they're making to the Oculus API. Not looked at any code for either, so haven't a clue.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Tried Revive last night. Lucky's Tale looks really nice, runs pretty smooth. Though the movement was unsettling, think this is due to the game?

I'm so used to movement of the camera being tied to my movement in the room at this point. I'm guessing the camera pan is just kicking my stomach in.

Couldn't get GZ3DOOM to work. I assume the Revive wrapper can't capture what calls they're making to the Oculus API. Not looked at any code for either, so haven't a clue.

I think GZ3DOOM's executable was made to make it easily work with the Oculus store outside of the Oculus store, but that makes it work terribly with Revive.

Sadly it sounds like the developer can't afford a Vive to make it work right now, but maybe someone else can do something about it with the source code

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish Valve would put all the steamVR settings into the large SteamVR settings page. I have to often change the audio settings because it forgets, and they're only accessible through the desktop menu, along with some other settings (like rebooting the headset). Would be much more convenient to get to those on the big VR friendly UI.

derFeef

I wish Valve would put all the steamVR settings into the large SteamVR settings page. I have to often change the audio settings because it forgets, and they're only accessible through the desktop menu, along with some other settings (like rebooting the headset). Would be much more convenient to get to those on the big VR friendly UI.

Yes this would be very welcome.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yes, I second this.

hodgy100

I just got a shipment notification from DHL. I only ordered the thing last week!

any recommendations for mounting the lighthouses? I live in a flat so no drilling. UK

I think GZ3DOOM's executable was made to make it easily work with the Oculus store outside of the Oculus store, but that makes it work terribly with Revive.

Sadly it sounds like the developer can't afford a Vive to make it work right now, but maybe someone else can do something about it with the source code

the developer does have a vive and plans to port to vive eventually

https://github.com/cmbruns/gz3doom/issues/121

Qassim

Haven't really messed with my Vive much for the past couple of weeks (busy/too warm/Doom & Uncharted 4), but tried it again last night and it's kind of amazing how much you forget how cool it is.

Also, really like that you can now do proper 3D environments for the SteamVR home rather than just the 360 degree images. The holodeck is cool!

Reposting for new page, can anyone clarify if Virtual Desktop is worth it?

Its today the best "desktop" emulator.

It just works, full 90 fps, lots of options. GET IT NOW.

BrettWeir

Nope :) It can act just as Virtual Desktop in the sense that you can place yourself in a set number of environments with a screen however big you want it, however curved you want it, and distance set. I played Diablo 3 for a good hour yesterday (solo game) on an insanely large screen on a beautiful outside deck/patio. It's a fun little tool.

played Diablo 3 for a good hour yesterday (solo game) on an insanely large screen on a beautiful outside deck/patio. It's a fun little tool.

I really like that outside deck. Sometimes I sit there when I watch TV just because I like the environment so much. My only complaint is that Netflix won't work because of DRM stuff.

Durante

Also, really like that you can now do proper 3D environments for the SteamVR home rather than just the 360 degree images. The holodeck is cool!
Yeah, this is a great upgrade. I need to find some time to model my VR room, at least a rough sketch.

Helznicht

Does Elite play nice with the vive now or is the IQ still uber fubar?

Pretty certain it's still fubar, which is super frustrating. Really would like to get into it on my Vive.

Still fubar.

Dev knows and its working to fix it.

I figured it out for me anyways. You have control over how soft and how aliased you want the image to be.

Step 1) Put Supersampling at 4X
Step 2) Set all other graphics settings to low/off
Step 2) Move HMD Quality slider down until you no longer have any judder.

The better rig you got, the crisper the image (because you can keep HMD Quality higher). This removed almost all pixel crawl/shimmering for me, with a noticeably softer image, which i prefer. I run a 970, with a 980ti I bet it looks great. Text is still hard to read, but just a little lean in on the monitors is all you need. If the devs find a way to make text legible from the chair center, I think its fine as is.

Pcars has similar issues, but DS9X AA puts out a really nice image on the HMD. The new 1080 looks like it could do this at mid/high settings.

We can bitch'n'moan about IQ in these big games, but to get a nice clean image, in far view distances, in VR you need to run 4k@90fps. Hardware just needs to catch up.

I figured it out for me anyways. You have control over how soft and how aliased you want the image to be.

The better rig you got, the crisper the image (because you can keep HMD Quality higher). This removed almost all pixel crawl/shimmering for me, with a noticeably softer image, which i prefer. I run a 970, with a 980ti I bet it looks great.

Pcars has similar issues, but DS9X AA puts out a really nice image on the HMD. The new 1080 looks like it could do this at mid/high settings.

lol 4x supersampling

I'd currently recommend 1x supersampling + MSAA or TXAA. 1.5x supersampling at the most.

hodgy100

SO my vive is due to be delivered tomorrow. I quickly ordered somel ight stands and mounts that should also turn up tomorrow.

I havent yet had my free software codes though. when are they supposed to turn up?

Helznicht

lol 4x supersampling

I'd currently recommend 1x supersampling + MSAA or TXAA. 1.5x supersampling at the most.

Tried various AA with 1.5 ss. Still to shimmery for me. To each their own. Point stands, I do not think the image quality is bad in ED if you have the hardware to push it.

Step 2) Set all other graphics settings to low/off

The better rig you got, the crisper the image (because you can keep HMD Quality higher). This removed almost all pixel crawl/shimmering for me, with a noticeably softer image, which i prefer. I run a 970, with a 980ti I bet it looks great. Text is still hard to read, but just a little lean in on the monitors is all you need. If the devs find a way to make text legible from the chair center, I think its fine as is.

We can bitch'n'moan about IQ in these big games, but to get a nice clean image, in far view distances, in VR you need to run 4k@90fps. Hardware just needs to catch up.

4x ? I can only go to 2.0x (this is in the game, are you changing this in the xml ?)

lol 4x supersampling

Problem is, Elite only have FXAA and SMAA and both add text aliasing.

SO my vive is due to be delivered tomorrow. I quickly ordered somel ight stands and mounts that should also turn up tomorrow.

I havent yet had my free software codes though. when are they supposed to turn up?

You should have by now, but i have friends that got them after the vive showed up. Check you spam folder.

Just got my HOTAS in yesterday and decided to go ahead and try Elite as is. Maybe it's the fact that I've never played it any other way, or the lowered expectations, or the fidelity in comparison to the majority of other current VR offerings, but it looks fine to me. Some of the further away text is a little hard to read, but still readable and I had a slightly glitchy moment where some asteroids I was flying directly over started to flicker out of existence as I passed them, but otherwise it's totally playable. If an update makes it look better then I can't wait to see what it looks like.

So like I said, I'm not very far yet. I've only done a few of the combat training missions so far but playing this in VR is amazing. Especially with the HOTAS. The sense of scale of your ship and the control is amazing. I can't wait to actually dive deeper in to this thing.

TLDR; If you've never booted Elite up before outside of VR and your rig is pretty beefy, don't be discouraged to give it a chance now.

TLDR; If you've never booted Elite up before outside of VR and your rig is pretty beefy, don't be discouraged to give it a chance now.

A friend of mine who played it pre-VR thought it looked good enough that he never wants to play it on a monitor again. He has a TitanX though, so he might be able to push some settings a bit higher.

As for myself, I thought it looked good as well, but I haven't really played it much pre VR (or in VR for that matter, I'm having too much fun with PCars at the moment).

pj

Banned
You might want to try using something like QuickSync or Nvenc in OBS to offload the streaming to something besides your CPU?

Will try that

Yeah i've used OBS to stream and to record at 1080p 60 fps. (not at the same time).
I recorded Project Cars, Out of Ammo and Audioshield and I didn't really notice any problems from memory.
Project Cars was likely dropping to 45 FPS though, but the async timewarp-like thing Vive uses must have did its job well.
My specs are similar to yours. 980 Ti and a 6700 for the CPU (stock).

Hmm, I'll have to check my settings but I may have been recording at the same time..

The framerate was mostly fine after I dropped to 720p 60 but there more hitches than I'd like.

Also I'm not sure what the best type of streaming is through OBS. I have two monitors and my capture area was my second monitor. I was manually dragging the game display mirrors to the second screen and maximizing them. I dunno if that's less efficient than directly capturing a window, but window capture didn't seem to work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
assetto corsa is nice, but needs quite a bit of work - having to handle all menus using a mouse is frustrating, and it doesn't seem to have a position reset button so if you don't have your vive in the right position initially it'll place you way too high/low. You can sort that using the steamVR menu but it'd be better to have it in-game.

The graphics seem smooth, but also way more aliased - lots of shimmering lines everywhere. Makes it seem overall less nice to look at than project cars.

Good to know both games work, but for now I think I'll practice with Pcars simply because it can be controlled completely from the headset.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Just got my HOTAS in yesterday and decided to go ahead and try Elite as is. Maybe it's the fact that I've never played it any other way, or the lowered expectations, or the fidelity in comparison to the majority of other current VR offerings, but it looks fine to me. Some of the further away text is a little hard to read, but still readable and I had a slightly glitchy moment where some asteroids I was flying directly over started to flicker out of existence as I passed them, but otherwise it's totally playable. If an update makes it look better then I can't wait to see what it looks like.

So like I said, I'm not very far yet. I've only done a few of the combat training missions so far but playing this in VR is amazing. Especially with the HOTAS. The sense of scale of your ship and the control is amazing. I can't wait to actually dive deeper in to this thing.

If you get in to Elite, I highly recommend Voice Attack. I honestly can't play without it, not to mention you feel like bad ass yelling commands at your ship. It gives a pretty big advantage to be able to change power distributions on-the-fly while dog fighting.

If you get in to Elite, I highly recommend Voice Attack. I honestly can't play without it, not to mention you feel like bad ass yelling commands at your ship. It gives a pretty big advantage to be able to change power distributions on-the-fly while dog fighting.

Ohhh I didn't even know that was a thing! Is it built in, or is it a separate plugin I have to download?

Animator

How do games like fallout 4 work with VR. I remember someone mentioning it earlier but at the time my VR headset was nowhere near shipping so I didn't pay much attention and forgot.

kinggroin

Banned
How do games like fallout 4 work with VR. I remember someone mentioning it earlier but at the time my VR headset was nowhere near shipping so I didn't pay much attention and forgot.

VorpX software gives you full head tracking and room scale movement. Plus you can move around as usual using analog sticks or keyboard WASD

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Ohhh I didn't even know that was a thing! Is it built in, or is it a separate plugin I have to download?

Unfortunately it is a separate (paid) program. There is a 21 day trial for it if you want to try it first. It works quite well : https://www.voiceattack.com/

The main commands I use are:
- Landing Gear
- Cargo Scoop
- Power Systems | Power Weapons | Power Engines | Balance Power
- Target / Next Target
- Lights
- Hyper jump

Unfortunately it is a separate (paid) program. There is a 21 day trial for it if you want to try it first. It works quite well : https://www.voiceattack.com/

The main commands I use are:
- Landing Gear
- Cargo Scoop
- Power Systems | Power Weapons | Power Engines | Balance Power
- Target / Next Target
- Lights
- Hyper jump

I just watched a couple videos and I'll likely get it. Thanks for the suggestion!

is there a 'reroute auxilary power to shields' command?

Pretty sure that's what all the "Power" commands are. "Power Systems" would route power to shields.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Blazerush is a lot of fun via revive. Not sure how well it'll play long term - the AI are a bit too guns blazing so it gets a bit crazy, but just the look of the little cars on a track is great - properly like little hotwheels cars with a good amount of detail in them.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
is there a 'reroute auxilary power to shields' command?

Yeah that is my "power systems" command. You can make it whatever you want but that is what they call it in game so I went with it.

Blazerush is a lot of fun via revive. Not sure how well it'll play long term - the AI are a bit too guns blazing so it gets a bit crazy, but just the look of the little cars on a track is great - properly like little hotwheels cars with a good amount of detail in them.

Are you having any judder with it? I have no clue what it has judder for me, it isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah that is my "power systems" command. You can make it whatever you want but that is what they call it in game so I went with it.

Are you having any judder with it? I have no clue what it has judder for me, it isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse.

no, seems fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom