• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm launching ReVive wrong

I follow the instructions on the site

Install Oculus Home and download the games you want to play.
Download the Revive installer here.
Install Revive in your preferred directory.
Start or reboot SteamVR.
Open the dashboard and click the new Revive tab.

but when I hit the revive tab, it's just a blank blue window

any ideas?

Edit: thanks AwesomeMeat, I redownloaded and everything is good now

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I think I'm launching ReVive wrong

I follow the instructions on the site

Install Oculus Home and download the games you want to play.
Download the Revive installer here.
Install Revive in your preferred directory.
Start or reboot SteamVR.
Open the dashboard and click the new Revive tab.

but when I hit the revive tab, it's just a blank blue window

any ideas?

This was a known issue and apparently got a hotfix the same night crossvr released the new version. You might try closing steam and re-downloading revive and do another install. I had a different issue but reinstalling over my first install resolved the issue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mine wouldn't show the revive tab at all, unless I manually ran the reviveoverlay.exe (or something) in the folder it had installed to. Its a really nice way to launch oculus games, but considering how they mostly use an xbox controller, it seems a waste to need to switch on a vive controller just to launch them. Would like an option to use the headset to select things to launch by looking at them maybe?

I've had a different problem with Revive where nothing launches from the tab. The only one I've been able to get running from the new tab is Henry and Collosse which don't actually boot until about 2 minutes after selecting it. Whenever I click on anything (even those) they load up at the bottom for about half a second before they just disappear and never load.

collige

Banned
Maybe I'm just strapping the headset wrong, but playing Cloudlands is pretty obnoxious for me since every time I look down at the ball, the headset shifts its position on my face and everything ends up out of focus. Does anyone have any tips?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe I'm just strapping the headset wrong, but playing Cloudlands is pretty obnoxious for me since every time I look down at the ball, the headset shifts its position on my face and everything ends up out of focus. Does anyone have any tips?

It does that. If you can lengthen the top strap so you can hook the rear triangular strap around the bump at the back of your head, it'll hold a little better when you look down. Still not great though and it might make the side straps go over your ears.

Animator

Omg I played non stop for three hours, my legs are shaking, vr is an exercise.

I am having way too much fun with grenades and horseshoes and I don't even like guns.

Zalusithix

Omg I played non stop for three hours, my legs are shaking, vr is an exercise.

I am having way too much fun with grenades and horseshoes and I don't even like guns.

I don't care for the horseshoes part, but the grenade mini-game is actually pretty fun. Requires varying the timing between having the grenade ticking down and when you actually throw it in addition to how hard and at what angle you throw it at the ramp.

The guns are a mixed bag, and very much a work in progress. The revolver, for some odd reason, causes massive frame drops for me where none of the others do. It's also a pain in the ass to reload. Needs a speedloader ASAP. Handling of the two handed weapons is kind of swimmy right now. The resolution also severely hampers the experience of aiming at range using iron sights. Still, for all the flaws, it shows a lot of potential in realistic gun handling. Pulling out a magazine from one of the chest storage compartments, slotting it in, etc.

Though the actual slotting in of the magazine needs some work to make it less finicky. Some sort of fudging where it auto rotates to a certain degree for insertion alignment. Loading shotgun shells is a smoother experience. Given the guy is doing weekly updates at this point, I'm sure everything will be addressed eventually.

Got my green screen... Who's ready for more green screen video spam?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My8q1L30wMQ

Heh, looks like Final Approach put OBS to its limits, the software to put together all the video feeds and record it. the framerate of the video is poop, but when I was playing it was fine.

OK, that's awesome. This could be a whole new spin for Youtubers / streamers / letsplayers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just ordered one. Looks like I can expect early June delivery, which is fine by me since I need a GPU upgrade. :p

Credit where it's due to Job Simulator and Budget Cuts for officially selling me on the viability of this tech in its current state. I can barely comprehend where we're going from here.

Just ordered one. Looks like I can expect early June delivery, which is fine by me since I need a GPU upgrade. :p

Credit where it's due to Job Simulator and Budget Cuts for officially selling me on the viability of this tech in its current state. I can barely comprehend where we're going from here.

You could very well get it before June. I just ordered mine (in the US) last Friday. It's out for delivery today.

Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies and puppies.

Been having this issue the past couple days where the trigger function doesn't really work in the HMD menus. It kind of flashes a mouse cursor and clicking the action almost never works. In game doesn't seem to be a problem though. Anyone encounter this issue?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Vive sold. See you all for version 2!

Tootles
tumblr_m6wgyx2VKd1rziwwco1_500_zps1c4b0758.gif~c200

jotun?

I played the Office Worker scenario in Job Simulator, and at one point something weird happened. One of my blue coffee mugs decided it didn't care about gravity anymore. It still had all of its other physics, I could grab it, throw it, hit it with things, etc. It just had zero gravity. I even was able to put it in the copier to make more zero-gravity mugs, so that was pretty sweet

I have no idea how it happened though. Anyone else seen this, or know how it's done?

Animator

I don't care for the horseshoes part, but the grenade mini-game is actually pretty fun. Requires varying the timing between having the grenade ticking down and when you actually throw it in addition to how hard and at what angle you throw it at the ramp.

The guns are a mixed bag, and very much a work in progress. The revolver, for some odd reason, causes massive frame drops for me where none of the others do. It's also a pain in the ass to reload. Needs a speedloader ASAP. Handling of the two handed weapons is kind of swimmy right now. The resolution also severely hampers the experience of aiming at range using iron sights. Still, for all the flaws, it shows a lot of potential in realistic gun handling. Pulling out a magazine from one of the chest storage compartments, slotting it in, etc.

Though the actual slotting in of the magazine needs some work to make it less finicky. Some sort of fudging where it auto rotates to a certain degree for insertion alignment. Loading shotgun shells is a smoother experience. Given the guy is doing weekly updates at this point, I'm sure everything will be addressed eventually.

I agree it is very much a wip but it is an extremely relaxing game. It is like having a shooting range at your home. I never had any frame drops in it (or any other vr game) but I have a pretty top of the line PC.

IMACOMPUTA

Been having this issue the past couple days where the trigger function doesn't really work in the HMD menus. It kind of flashes a mouse cursor and clicking the action almost never works. In game doesn't seem to be a problem though. Anyone encounter this issue?
Do you have a steering wheel attached to your PC? My DFGT interferes with the vive controllers. Makes menus in steamvr unusable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You could very well get it before June. I just ordered mine (in the US) last Friday. It's out for delivery today.
Whoa. That's crazy pants. Awesome that their production/shipping infrastructure is holding up.

Actually have no idea what I'll do if it arrives before the end of the month. No way my 780SC can drive this beast adequately.
Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies and puppies.
I'm pretty hyped. I haven't experienced any VR of any kind since some setup in a mall in 1998 or so.

Does anyone happen to know (even approximately) how much the Lightboxes weigh? Looking into my mounting options.

taco543

I'm having weird issues with my vive, everything was working great but my 980ti only has one hdmi slot and I use that for my second display, so I bought a mini display port to display port cable plugged into the breakout box and now my vive cant connect for some reason. anyone else know whats up? I keep getting error code 208 but online steam forums are pretty useless.

EDIT: FIXED! I just right clicked the headset icon in steamVR and check marked direct mode.

Zalusithix

I agree it is very much a wip but it is an extremely relaxing game. It is like having a shooting range at your home. I never had any frame drops in it (or any other vr game) but I have a pretty top of the line PC.

The frame drops are no doubt a side effect of my aging OC'd i7-920. I wont be replacing that until later this year though. I only bothered to bring it up because no other gun suffers the problem. Something wonky has to be going on with the physics on it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Do you have a steering wheel attached to your PC? My DFGT interferes with the vive controllers. Makes menus in steamvr unusable.

ohhhhh I've been having this same problem today after i was playing elite
gonna try and unplug my hotas and see if thats what causes it

Helznicht

I have a DFGT and have had Zero problems. Wish I didnt have to have a controller on when playing PCars, but the steam menu always pops up when I start, so I need to us it to turn it off.

No issues with my HOTAS either.

I do have my Vive plugged into a different USB hub (back) and my controllers in the front. Dont know if that will help or not.

Animator

I bought Out of Ammo on a whim and it is one of the best games on vive in my opinion. I can't recommend it enough. It is tower defense + hover junkers style shooting. You can take control of your units anytime and it gets pretty hectic. It looked too simplistic in videos but looks pretty damn cool in VR. It is one of the few games that impressed me on VR.

On another note has anyone tried out DCS world? How is the vive support?

Tadie

So I bought Assetto Corsa to use it with Revive.

Can I use AA with this game? I just have an oced GTX 970.

I ordered a new wheel (T150) too. Hopefully I can give you some impressions tonight.

Hola crap!

I just got my Vive today, when I was expecting it to be delivered in June.

My impressions:

Pros
- The tutorial was a great and fun introduction.
- The Lab is super fun. The experiences and games are really breathtaking.
- Wow. I didn't understand why people enjoyed Job Simulator until I played it. It's surreal and funny. It's crazy how real it feels, you really forget about your surroundings after a while.

Cons
- You really need to spend some time configuring stuff that's not part of the initial setup, like audio output settings, the camera and bluetooth.
- getting it look right is hard. I had to Google how to adjust the headset. The sweetspot is really small so you really need to spend time adjusting the thing before you can see well. You also need to adjust the IPD, but you need to get measured using a special ruler for that. Fortunately I'm going to the optometrist tomorrow so I'll ask for my IPD.
- the screen door effect is real, so is the relatively low res. With these two issuea plus the tiny sweetspot, forget about reading anything in VR.

Zaptruder

Banned
Oh man... I can't believe how much trouble my 'lack of USB' ports has been causing me.

I've got about 10+4 on my case and another 10 port hub via USB3.

More than enough physical ports for everything.

Except it turns out I've only got one USB controller... and that has a 10 device limit. Worse is the 10 port hub takes 3 of those devices, because you can't have 10 devices daisy chained off a single device. There's just not enough bandwidth.

Of course, if you don't realize this (and most people won't), the errors will look weird, and diagnosing them a bitch. I mean it works sometimes, it doesn't work others. Such shit.

So for the last month, I've been essentially power cycling the Vive by unplugging and replugging the USB, and that seems to work most of the time. Good enough. Of course my controllers were also having problems, and so was the whole bluetooth wake up on the base stations. Passthrough camera also would and wouldn't work. Whatever - faulty hardware, get it sent back to HTC for warranty when my Oculus Touch controllers get here, and make do with it until then.

Then I try my Rift on the Vive linkbox. Works. Great. Try plugging in the Vive again. Everything fails. Nothing works. For some reason the USB ports are really throwing a bitch fit now - only 1 device on the 10 USB port hub is working. Finally unplug enough devices to get the Vive working... and it works fine. Great even. Except now I have a bunch of stuff I can't plug in at the same time.

Fuckkkkkk.

Have ordered a trusted PCIe USB hub, so hopefully that'll add to the number of active at once time USB ports I can have.

Zaptruder

Banned
now I want a list of things you have attached via USB because 10 seems like it should be enough?

Mech RGB keyboard @ 2

Mouse @ 1

Wireless KB @ 1

Wacom Cintiq @ 1

Xbox Wireless Dongle @ 1

External BD @ 1

Rift @ 2

Vive @ 1
----------------

USB hub @ 3
-------------------
essential as some of those items can't actually reach my computer given my setup (I have a height adjustable standing desk, and the cable on the BD drive is shooorrtttt).

Also
Various additional cables that are attached occasionally (phone data transfer, chargers, controllers, USB drives, etc).

fanboi

Banned
Question:

What games can I try out that will run on GTX 780 (non Ti)? Job Simulator is fine and tilt brush, anything else? Into the Blu would it work?

"What games can I try out that will run on GTX 780 (non Ti)? Job Simulator is fine and tilt brush, anything else? Into the Blu would it work?"

So far, everything I've tried but Project Cars and Portal Stories VR (weirddd, it's not that complex of a game) has run well for me on a 780. But I don't believe the problem with Project Cars is really the GPU. DCS World ran mostly well with a handful of hitches, but like Project Cars, I believe that's a product of my 2500k showing its age.

Budget Cuts
Cloudlands
DCS World
HoloBall
Fantastic Contraption
Space Pirate Trainer
Elite Dangerous
The Whale demo from TheBlu

All of those have run well for me.

Samaritan

So what's the general consensus on extending the cables from the breakout box to your PC? Is it as easy as using a longer HDMI/USB (2.0 or 3.0?) cable? I want to use my Vive in an adjacent room to where I have my PC/monitor setup, about 15-20ft away, but I'm afraid of adding input/video latency to the headset.

Paganmoon

"What games can I try out that will run on GTX 780 (non Ti)? Job Simulator is fine and tilt brush, anything else? Into the Blu would it work?"

So far, everything I've tried but Project Cars and Portal Stories VR (weirddd, it's not that complex of a game) has run well for me on a 780. But I don't believe the problem with Project Cars is really the GPU. DCS World ran mostly well with a handful of hitches, but like Project Cars, I believe that's a product of my 2500k showing its age.

Budget Cuts
Cloudlands
DCS World
HoloBall
Fantastic Contraption
Space Pirate Trainer
Elite Dangerous

If only there was an easy place to check if the games had SLI/Crossfire support as well.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I received mine yesterday, after much fiddling around I got it set up. This was the first time I experience VR. Pretty cool but two main issues:

- The screen door effect is very pronounced, most of the time it took me out of presence and killed immersion.

- The blurring around the edges of the lenses is too much. I fiddled with the hmd for more than an hour and I think I found the sweet spot, but is it normal that even at the sweet spot, the edges tend to be blurry?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So what's the general consensus on extending the cables from the breakout box to your PC? Is it as easy as using a longer HDMI/USB (2.0 or 3.0?) cable? I want to use my Vive in an adjacent room to where I have my PC/monitor setup, about 15-20ft away, but I'm afraid of adding input/video latency to the headset.

Yes you just need a long USB and HDMI cable.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I have a somewhat stupid question. Are there any simple games that will run on a GTX 670?

I got a little blindsided by a much earlier delivery and am still waiting for a chance to upgrade to the GTX 1080 even if I have to suck it up and by the stupid reference design.

I have a somewhat stupid question. Are there any simple games that will run on a GTX 670?

I got a little blindsided by a much earlier delivery and am still waiting for a chance to upgrade to the GTX 1080 even if I have to suck it up and by the stupid reference design.

I think blarp is the most basic game out there.

tokkun

I received mine yesterday, after much fiddling around I got it set up. This was the first time I experience VR. Pretty cool but two main issues:

- The screen door effect is very pronounced, most of the time it took me out of presence and killed immersion.

- The blurring around the edges of the lenses is too much. I fiddled with the hmd for more than an hour and I think I found the sweet spot, but is it normal that even at the sweet spot, the edges tend to be blurry?

I think this is a pretty common experience. I don't think the people giving pre-release impressions did a good job of communicating that there is still a lot of room for improvement in both the screen and lenses. The optics were much worse than I was expecting going in, but the tracking was better. It makes me optimistic about what headsets coming out in 3 years or so will be able to do, assuming VR takes off.

I think this is a pretty common experience. I don't think the people giving pre-release impressions did a good job of communicating that there is still a lot of room for improvement in both the screen and lenses. The optics were much worse than I was expecting going in, but the tracking was better. It makes me optimistic about what headsets coming out in 3 years or so will be able to do, assuming VR takes off.

I'm not sure where you were reading but resolution increase, eye tracking, wireless, and headset design are brought up quite frequently here. I'm in the minority here but I would take a wireless design over better optics actually.

artsi

Many are still saying that sweet spot is not a big issue if you adjust it properly, etc.

It's not a dealbreaker but should not be downplayed either, so people don't buy these expensive gadgets thinking all is great and get disappointed.

fanboi

Banned

Budget Cuts
Cloudlands
DCS World
HoloBall
Fantastic Contraption
Space Pirate Trainer
Elite Dangerous

Thank you!

VVV Mars VG

Question:

What games can I try out that will run on GTX 780 (non Ti)? Job Simulator is fine and tilt brush, anything else? Into the Blu would it work?

I'm using GTX 780, will gradully go through ecch title and post a video here https://www.youtube.com/user/TeamVVVgames/videos so far only Project Cars has suffered significantly, though on the whole you'll have a smoother experience with a more powerful card but its ok to get by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom