• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I think this is a pretty common experience. I don't think the people giving pre-release impressions did a good job of communicating that there is still a lot of room for improvement in both the screen and lenses. The optics were much worse than I was expecting going in, but the tracking was better. It makes me optimistic about what headsets coming out in 3 years or so will be able to do, assuming VR takes off.

OK sort of glad to hear that the blurriness is normal around the lense edge but disappointing nonetheless, especially considering the $1400 (CAD) price tag.

GUYS,

Epic's real time Showdown demo is now available for download. Triple A graphics and it runs really smoothly on my 390X as well!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4k57x8/epics_showdown_demo_built_for_steamvr/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O5knLWY8zA

Whoa. That's crazy pants. Awesome that their production/shipping infrastructure is holding up.

Actually have no idea what I'll do if it arrives before the end of the month. No way my 780SC can drive this beast adequately.

I'm pretty hyped. I haven't experienced any VR of any kind since some setup in a mall in 1998 or so.

Does anyone happen to know (even approximately) how much the Lightboxes weigh? Looking into my mounting options.

less than a lb each I would imagine. I have them mounted to a bookshelf and door using a joby action clamps with a gorillapod and it works quite well. Keep in mind the clamp and pods are pretty small

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GV0LW6E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

71t8O3SiN2L._SL1500_.jpg

Edit:

Lighthouse weigh 320 grams or .7 lbs

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have a somewhat stupid question. Are there any simple games that will run on a GTX 670?

I got a little blindsided by a much earlier delivery and am still waiting for a chance to upgrade to the GTX 1080 even if I have to suck it up and by the stupid reference design.
Haha I'm in this boat too.
I'm using GTX 780, will gradully go through ecch title and post a video here https://www.youtube.com/user/TeamVVVgames/videos so far only Project Cars has suffered significantly, though on the whole you'll have a smoother experience with a more powerful card but its ok to get by.
Well that is good to know I guess. So I won't be totally out of luck if it comes early.
Oh shit my card was charged! How much longer after that does it usually take to get to you?
I was charged on the same day the package was delivered to me.
Hmm. My card was charged just a few hours after I ordered it. My status is "In Process"
Lighthouse weigh 320 grams or .7 lbs
Oh wow, thanks. Hmm, at 0.7 lbs each I might be able to get away with just using 3m Command strips O_O

Do they need to be tilted downward, or can they do their thing accurately if mounted flush against the wall?

Zalusithix

Oh wow, thanks. Hmm, at 0.7 lbs each I might be able to get away with just using 3m Command strips O_O

Do they need to be tilted downward, or can they do their thing accurately if mounted flush against the wall?

This has been discussed many times before, but the lighthouses have a level of vibration to them. Command strips aren't a recommended solution as combination of weight and vibration may eventually cause them to fail, and result in the lighthouse enjoying a few seconds of freefall before crashing into the floor.

As for the tilt, you generally want them in opposing corners, above head height, and aimed 45 degrees from the wall and ~30 degrees downwards. They have a 120 degree cast in both horizontal and vertical directions..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Supposedly the new Oculus Home update nullified Revive. :(

Yeap.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4k8fmm/new_oculus_update_breaks_revive/

From my preliminary research it seems that Oculus has also added a check whether the Oculus Rift headset is connected to their Oculus Platform DRM. And while Revive fools the application in thinking the Rift is connected, it does nothing to make the actual Oculus Platform think the headset is connected.
Because only the Oculus Platform DRM has been changed this means that none of the Steam or standalone games were affected. Only games published on the Oculus Store that use the Oculus Platform SDK are affected.

Seems intentional too.

Onemic

Any chance that the sense of depth for these HMDs will improve in the next consumer version? I feel like this is one of the most important things to work on imo.

Haha I'm in this boat too.

Well that is good to know I guess. So I won't be totally out of luck if it comes early.

Hmm. My card was charged just a few hours after I ordered it. My status is "In Process"

They suggest that you do angle the lighthouse down at a 35-45 degree angle towards the play area. I strongly suggest you steer clear of tape, command strips etc.

Zalusithix

Seems intentional too.

Wouldn't doubt it. From their very first official stance statement on the project, it seemed a matter of not if, but when, they were going to break it. I have no interest in playing cat and mouse with Oculus. They'll see no money from me until the Vive is properly supported.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
shit, just tried it and blocked out. I literally just bought blazerush yesterday and was enjoying it a lot. They happily take my money without checking I can actually play the game.

Dick move Oculus - I'm not spending $600 on top of my vive just to play a couple of your games, but I would have happily given you money for the game themselves.

Maybe intentional, but I don't see how that helps them. They now have people buying games from their store that would not otherwise. I guess the argument would be to get more people buying Rifts over Vives but since they can't keep up with the demand and they make little to no profit on the hardware, why prevent people from using the Vive on Oculus store bought games? It just adds another negative to their store compared to Steam.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This has been discussed many times before, but the lighthouses have a level of vibration to them. Command strips aren't a recommended solution as combination of weight and vibration may eventually cause them to fail, and the lighthouse to enjoy a few seconds of freefall before crashing into the floor.

As for the tilt, you generally want them in opposing corners, above head height, and aimed 45 degrees from the wall and ~30 degrees downwards. They have a 120 degree cast in both horizontal and vertical directions..
I apologize for bringing something up here that has been discussed many times, and I apologize in advance because I can assure you it won't be the last time. I promise that I read the OP thoroughly, and it stipulates that you want them "looking down at you" and advises against two-sided tape, but doesn't specify a tilt and I'm sure you know how Command strips differ significantly from two-sided tape.

I appreciate the info here- a 30 degree tilt makes the Command strips pretty much a non-starter anyway, vibration or not. I think I'll most likely invest in the support rods and clamps for each corner.

edit: Just looked up how Revive worked and everything... boooo Oculus platform booo. Who was that hurting. :<

Had more sync issues last night. I got some small tripods so I could securely adjust the angle more downwards and brought them even closer. It seems to be the worst in SPT, particularly when movement gets more aggressive. But happened in the lab once or twice just standing around so I don't know. I'll try the sync cable this afternoon just to see if it makes it go away, though I'd like to avoid having to run that long of a cable around the room/through the attic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bummer. Sounds like the fix isn't impossible though it will take a lot of work. That dude's a hero.
Just did some more reading and for sure. I have so much respect for anyone making the effort to help VR along into being embraced as what it is- a medium- rather than a collection of closed platforms. I'm still brand new to this scene but seems like CrossVR's projects have done incredible work thus far.

Zalusithix

I apologize for bringing something up here that has been discussed many times, and I apologize in advance because I can assure you it won't be the last time. I promise that I read the OP thoroughly, and it stipulates that you want them "looking down at you" and advises against two-sided tape, but doesn't specify a tilt and I'm sure you know how Command strips differ significantly from two-sided tape.

I appreciate the info here- a 30 degree tilt makes the Command strips pretty much a non-starter anyway, vibration or not. I think I'll most likely invest in the support rods and clamps for each corner.

Oh, I'm sure it won't be the last time it's brought up. Technically you probably could use Command strips and get away with it, but you'd need to attach the Vive's mounting bracket to a larger surface, and then use a number of strips to hold that to the wall. The bracket's surface area and design by itself isn't well suited to direct mounting via strips at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh, I'm sure it won't be the last time it's brought up. Technically you probably could use Command strips and get away with it, but you'd need to attach the Vive's mounting bracket to a larger surface, and then use a number of strips to hold that to the wall. The bracket's surface area and design by itself isn't well suited to direct mounting via strips at all.
Right, I was thinking about eschewing the bracket and simply sticking the lighthouse to the wall. I have a ton of experience using the strips all over my apartment and I know that they could hold them securely. The vibration is a concern I could have possibly contended with, but the tilt makes it a no go regardless.

No biggie though. I don't mind investing a little more to get the experience right, and I think I'm gonna have a great play space in my home office once I work it all out.

I'm looking into these dealies http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRDD6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And.. stupid question perhaps, but has anyone seen any that are black or white? Or, you know.. not a neon color of any kind at least? I gather these manufacturers didn't have permanent aesthetics in mind...

jotun?

VR Karts is up on Steam

Pretty much exactly what it looks like. Mario Kart in VR. Anyone try it yet?
It's a bit weird that both of the videos on their steam page show it with a completely stationary viewpoint. If it's made for VR, wouldn't they want to show off the ability to look around?

Right, I was thinking about eschewing the bracket and simply sticking the lighthouse to the wall. I have a ton of experience using the strips all over my apartment and I know that they could hold them securely. The vibration is a concern I could have possibly contended with, but the tilt makes it a no go regardless.
If you're able to mount them a few feet outside of your play area, you could probably get away with no tilt. I had mine on top of light stands with no tilt for a bit, and it worked fine because they're pretty far outside the space

Someone should really make a topic about this. It's deliberate. They specifically added a check in the DRM for the rift, revive can't spoof a rift connected without breaking DRM now.

It's only for oculus home games, not games using the Oculus SDK on other platforms.

That being said, I can't for the life of me imagine why they would do this if they have not been explicitly lying about wanting to make their money on their store rather than from hardware.

Zalusithix

I'm looking into these dealies http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRDD6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And.. stupid question perhaps, but has anyone seen any that are black or white? Or, you know.. not a neon color of any kind at least? I gather these manufacturers didn't have permanent aesthetics in mind...

If you don't mind shelling out a fair amount more per pole, there's camera poles which do the same thing, but come in silver and black.

Edit: The cheaper mini comes in both, but black is out of stock.

Floor to ceiling shower rods work and come in different colors. I ended up getting two of THESE which was made for holding up plants indoors but it's basically a shower rod. It's a little skinny for the camera clamp linked in the OP to actually clamp it, but there's a natural resting place towards the top that works just fine. Haven't noticed any jitter from it. I've also noticed other people online using shower rods using an alternative clamp that closes tighter too but I can't find a link.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just found out SteamVR has a 'knock knock' feature where someone can press F1 on your keyboard and it pops up a notification so you know someone needs your attention :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you're able to mount them a few feet outside of your play area, you could probably get away with no tilt. I had mine on top of light stands with no tilt for a bit, and it worked fine because they're pretty far outside the space
Hmm, I sorta can. Each corner of the room is about 2 feet beyond the rectangle that will actually be my play area. I wonder... might not be enough, but I suppose I can test it out.
If you don't mind shelling out a fair amount more per pole, there's camera poles which do the same thing, but come in silver and black.

Edit: The cheaper mini comes in both, but black is out of stock.
Interesting. Thanks! The ~$50 silver might work. I might actually need the taller one of the ones in the OP anyway because one of the corners has a higher ceiling than the other, barely a price different between them there. No way I'd pay over 100 per for the full size one though, I'd rather just have the bright yellow XD
Floor to ceiling shower rods work and come in different colors. I ended up getting two of THESE which was made for holding up plants indoors but it's basically a shower rod. It's a little skinny for the camera clamp linked in the OP to actually clamp it, but there's a natural resting place towards the top that works just fine. Haven't noticed any jitter from it. I've also noticed other people online using shower rods using an alternative clamp that closes tighter too but I can't find a link.
That's sort of brilliant, huh.

Just found out SteamVR has a 'knock knock' feature where someone can press F1 on your keyboard and it pops up a notification so you know someone needs your attention :)

It came in one of the most recent beta patches I think.

Only thing is that if I ever see that popup I am going to be a hell of a lot more scared than if somebody just knocked on my door, seeing as how I live alone.

b0bbyJ03

Hey everyone, haven't been in there since the launch, and at that time very few people had the headset. How has it been owning one? Would you recommend it to other people or would you tell them to wait a bit?

Hey everyone, haven't been in there since the launch, and at that time very few people had the headset. How has it been owning one? Would you recommend it to other people or would you tell them to wait a bit?

fully recommend. There's nothing like VR right now, and it's just starting to take off. Everyone thinks and i agree to a point that $900 (including tax and shipping) is a hard pill to swallow, but then they pull out their 700-900$ cell phones and they'd never bat an eye. A $7 android phone can do almost everything a $700 android phone can. but there's nothing out there right now that comes close to roomscale VR.

also, did anyone see this?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686754013

I have to uninstall steamvr and install steamvr beta in order to use it, huh?

Tain

Little bit of a survey for something I'm working on:

How would y'all feel if a seated game suggested that you use one traditional controller and one motion controller? Any objections to that concept alone?

Krejlooc

Banned

How would y'all feel if a seated game suggested that you use one traditional controller and one motion controller? Any objections to that concept alone?

using a traditional controller in one hand isn't very comfortable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Can you explain a bit more what this would involve in terms of gameplay? Void of context alone it's very difficult to conceptualize. Which half of the traditional controller are you asking people to use...?

b0bbyJ03

fully recommend. There's nothing like VR right now, and it's just starting to take off. Everyone thinks and i agree to a point that $900 (including tax and shipping) is a hard pill to swallow, but then they pull out their 700-900$ cell phones and they'd never bat an eye. A $7 android phone can do almost everything a $700 android phone can. but there's nothing out there right now that comes close to roomscale VR.

also, did anyone see this?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686754013

I have to uninstall steamvr and install steamvr beta in order to use it, huh?

Perfect response. thank you. I'm usually an early adopter when it comes to tech and i usually do enough research to know that i wont regret my purchases but when then it comes to VR there is really no point of reference. I think I'll be picking up for my birthday in August.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Perfect response. thank you. I'm usually an early adopter when it comes to tech and i usually do enough research to know that i wont regret my purchases but when then it comes to VR there is really no point of reference. I think I'll be picking up for my birthday in August.

I'd advise you to wait a year or two. Once you're over the initial cool factor, there are not many games to actually play. Heck there are no guarantees that this whole VR trend won't go the way of the kinect and die off in a year or two.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the phone integration any better? For stuff like getting basic notifications through. Would be using an iphone in case it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom