• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hey everyone, haven't been in there since the launch, and at that time very few people had the headset. How has it been owning one? Would you recommend it to other people or would you tell them to wait a bit?

As long as you understand how a hardware launch goes and especially when there is such a tech revolution happening that practically the development of games needs to be "restarted" and that a lot of the games are more proof of concept that full AAA games you should be fine. I still enjoy it a lot after more than one month.

Onemic

I'd advise you to wait a year or two. Once you're over the initial cool factor, there are not many games to actually play. Heck there are no guarantees that this whole VR trend won't go the way of the kinect and die off in a year or two.

Depends on if you're susceptible to motion sickness or not. If not, there's tons of AAA content to play.

Tain

Krejlooc said:
using a traditional controller in one hand isn't very comfortable.

Can you explain a bit more what this would involve in terms of gameplay? Void of context alone it's very difficult to conceptualize. Which half of the traditional controller are you asking people to use...?

You're right, I'm being too vague.

To elaborate, my game only really makes use of the tracking of a single controller. Both hands are represented, but only one really does anything. It also makes use of traditional directional controls (analog stick or d-pad style). While I plan on supporting the Vive's "off-hand" touch pad as a directional controller, I don't think it serves as a particularly good one. Traditional gamepads and keyboards are also supported (this game works both with and without motion controls), so for Vive users I was considering making the game suggest using a gamepad in the player's left hand (not a very good suggestion for left-handed players, of course).

Now that Krejlooc mentions it, though, I do wonder if comfort would be an issue over extended periods of time. It hasn't been one for me yet.

As long as you understand how a hardware launch goes and especially when there is such a tech revolution happening that practically the development of games needs to be "restarted" and that a lot of the games are more proof of concept that full AAA games you should be fine. I still enjoy it a lot after more than one month.

Pretty much this. I can't imagine not having VR again, but I am also looking forward to how much better it will be when the resolution is higher and software support is better. I love to be all in on the ground floor, but recognize that it isn't a polished experience at the moment.

To elaborate, my game only really makes use of the tracking of a single controller. Both hands are represented, but only one really does anything. It also makes use of traditional directional controls (analog stick or d-pad style). While I plan on supporting the Vive's "off-hand" touch pad as a directional controller, I don't think it serves as a particularly good one. Traditional gamepads and keyboards are also supported (this game works both with and without motion controls entirely), so for Vive users I was considering making the game suggest using a gamepad in the player's left hand (not a very good suggestion for left-handed players, of course).

As long as keyboard and the secondary controller is also available. I don't think I would like very much to be forced to use an xbox controller though.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pretty much. Discovering the internet unfold in 56k was the most memerizing thing I experienced tech wise. This is so similar.

Wollan

I just received my HTC Vive replacement 3-in-1 cable. The image is working flawlessly now. No drop outs. The cable even had further isolation with white rubber on the plugs on the HMD side. It fixed the HMD for me.

But WTF... I think one of my base stations has died in the mean time. First time I fire it up in in a couple of weeks. It has remained mounted on the wall with no power connection. I have no kids or pets.

I have had my HTC Vive for a month. I have spent 20+ effective hours likely debugging and troubleshooting (only to isolate issue for being with cable). I bought an extra USB card.

One month and I have yet to spend any considerable time with this.

I recommend you all wait until these are freely available in your neighborhood stores so you can show up on the door and dump it in their lap if anything is off. Now I most likely have another two-week postal round-trip to look forward to.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But WTF... I think one of my base stations has died in the mean time. First time I fire it up in in a couple of weeks. It has remained mounted on the wall with no power connection. I have no kids or pets.

Like it doesn't turn on at all? No led no nothing?

Wollan

It's the power charger that's not properly working it seems. Switching them and it's the opposite base station that 'dies'.
No LED, can hear the engine going at a slow 'tick, tick, tick' instead of the usual 'vhirrrrr'.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's the power charger that's not properly working it seems. Switching them and it's the opposite base station that 'dies'.
No LED, can hear the engine going at a slow 'tick, tick, tick' instead of the usual 'vhirrrrr'.

Should be a generic 12v power supply - you could try grabbing one from Amazon to save time while you wait for a replacement?

Helznicht

I'd advise you to wait a year or two. Once you're over the initial cool factor, there are not many games to actually play. Heck there are no guarantees that this whole VR trend won't go the way of the kinect and die off in a year or two.

I cant see how. In a year or two there will be cheaper headsets.

When you first tried kinnect, it felt...novel. It still felt like there was a machine between me and the experience. Same for the Wii, novel, but was always me interacting with a machine, interacting with a game. I can only speak for the Vive, but the machine is so designed to me as a human, that its interface melts away, its just me and the game, and playing it is as natural as life in general. VR is not going anywhere IMO.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're right, I'm being too vague.

To elaborate, my game only really makes use of the tracking of a single controller. Both hands are represented, but only one really does anything. It also makes use of traditional directional controls (analog stick or d-pad style). While I plan on supporting the Vive's "off-hand" touch pad as a directional controller, I don't think it serves as a particularly good one. Traditional gamepads and keyboards are also supported (this game works both with and without motion controls), so for Vive users I was considering making the game suggest using a gamepad in the player's left hand (not a very good suggestion for left-handed players, of course).

Now that Krejlooc mentions it, though, I do wonder if comfort would be an issue over extended periods of time. It hasn't been one for me yet.
As an option, for players to choose between one of the three viable control solutions for your game, I have no issue with it. For left-handed players you can map WASD to the face buttons or analog to the right stick of course. Never having played a game with that control scheme, I'd be open to trying all options to find the most comfortable. But I wouldn't want it to be the only option available for motion as there is definitely the potential for awkwardness.

I wonder if there's anything in the works to sort of "mount" one or both Vive controllers to a traditional gamepad for certain uses, so that you get tracking simultaneously with full gamepad controls.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pretty much. Discovering the internet unfold in 56k was the most memerizing thing I experienced tech wise. This is so similar.
That's actually one of the better analogies I've seen so far. Every video I see of a new demo my mind starts racing at the potential; definitely reminds me of poking around America Online and trying to visualize what the internet would one day become

Zalusithix

56K? Our phone line couldn't even handle that when the modems came out. Capped out at 33.6 until broadband hit. We did get broadband (via cable) long before the masses though, so it wasn't all that bad. Unfortunately lack of competition caused it to stagnate for the longest time. Only just recently started catching up to the rest of the world to some extent with a 200mbit plan.

Hopefully the same doesn't happen to VR. As much as I don't care for Oculus' behavior as a company, we need multiple major providers of headsets to drive competition.

Kodiak333

Neo Member
I mean is it worth it as a VR experience on this hardware?

I have it on a i7-2600k with a 980ti. I think it is definitely worth it. I think the Humble Store has it for $20 still?

If you have problems with the framerate, use less opponents. I think it's really awesome.

Trouble

Banned
* See that World of Diving is 66% off on Humble Spring Sale
* See that Steam page says it supports Vive
* Check out the Steam forum for the game
* Back away slowly

Apparently the game has never worked with the CV1 yet somehow they have the icon that says it has Vive support. That a shit ton of accusatory posts about the game being abandonware.

I'm highly tempted to get Project Cars. Does it run well enough with a 980ti, i7 6700?

It runs fine on my 4690 + GTX 970. I don't even have to use the lowest settings.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

I disagree I think VR is here to stay..the amount of investment in the social consciousness is just to high to compare to kinect.

Will Vive and oculus be successful and long term leaders? that's a good question. Who the players are gonna be and how the landscape shakes out is very uncertain. But VR and then AR in combination isn't going away.

Storm360

I'm loving Audioshield, I can only play for limited amounts of time so far (Played for about 30 minutes and feel kinda sick), but it's pretty fun

I'm terrified i'm going to accidently punch someone in the face while playing it however.

BrettWeir

I'm loving Audioshield, I can only play for limited amounts of time so far (Played for about 30 minutes and feel kinda sick), but it's pretty fun

I'm terrified i'm going to accidently punch someone in the face while playing it however.

Use painters tape to outline your chaperone walls! Problem solved!

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I finally got the magically settings for Wind Waker in Dolphin. It feels a lot better in a "doll house" scale. Think Lucky's Tale. Excited to get more in to this later!

deadfolk

56K? Our phone line couldn't even handle that when the modems came out. Capped out at 33.6 until broadband hit. We did get broadband (via cable) long before the masses though, so it wasn't all that bad. Unfortunately lack of competition caused it to stagnate for the longest time. Only just recently started catching up to the rest of the world to some extent with a 200mbit plan.

Hopefully the same doesn't happen to VR. As much as I don't care for Oculus' behavior as a company, we need multiple major providers of headsets to drive competition.

33.6? Luxury! We had 9.6 and we were grateful for it!

kinggroin

Banned
Pretty much this. I can't imagine not having VR again, but I am also looking forward to how much better it will be when the resolution is higher and software support is better. I love to be all in on the ground floor, but recognize that it isn't a polished experience at the moment.

Same here. Zero regrets. Though every owner would recognize first gen issues. Plus, it's launch window, so deep games are counted on one hand.

I disagree I think VR is here to stay..the amount of investment in the social consciousness is just to high to compare to kinect.

VR is a genre, not a platform, so the comparison makes no sense.

Instead of Kinect, we should be comparing it to motion controls as a whole, if one were inclined to make just such a comparison

kaskade

Welp, I sent back my 970 to wait for the 1070. Sadly this means I can't play with my Vive. I got some time with Holopoint in before hand and god damn, I'm actually sore today. Game makes you feel really badass though. Legolas x Matrix

kinggroin

Banned

Instead of Kinect, we should be comparing it to motion controls as a whole, if one were inclined to make just such a comparison

Genre? Wtf.

It's a platform man, a delivery medium. It encompasses genres within it.

You can't compare it to motion controls either. That's an input. VR is much more than that.

Could you post your config settings for it? I've been meaning to try Zelda in VR.

Yes please.

Mad1723

Sounds like someone who never tried or doesn't understand VR in any way, shape or form.

It's a platform man, a delivery medium. It encompasses genres within it.

You can't compare it to motion controls either. That's an input. VR is much more than that.

If you reread what you quoted, I didn't compare it to motion controls.

Perhaps "genre" wasn't the best word. My point was that it doesn't make sense to compare an entire sub-category of games--which consists of multiple devices--against a single device that itself was part of a larger movement. I was only trying to make the comparison make more sense; I wasn't commenting on whether I agreed with it

Sounds like someone who never tried or doesn't understand VR in any way, shape or form.

Sounds like someone who truly doesn't know what they're talking about in any way, shape or form. What is it about VR that sets some of you guys off? I wasn't attacking or even commenting on VR at all, so your kneejerk overreaction is extremly odd. I've played for multiple hours over at my friend's house who has two Vives, even

pj

Banned
Perhaps "genre" wasn't the best word. My point was that it doesn't make sense to compare an entire sub-category of games--which consists of multiple devices--against a single device that itself was part of a larger movement. I was only trying to make the comparison make more sense; I wasn't commenting on whether I agreed with it

It doesn't make any sense to lump kinect wii/move into just "motion controls" either. They are completely different in what they can and can't do.

Zalusithix

33.6? Luxury! We had 9.6 and we were grateful for it!

Capped out at, but started lower. Granted it was never as low as 9.6. We didn't go online until Windows 95 with a 200MHz Pentium. Was either a 14.4 or a 28.8 with that, but relatively quickly went to a 33.6. I pity anybody with a 9.6 - even on the early web.

pj

Banned
I didn't say it did; I was only commenting on how the comparison I responded to made no sense

"Instead of Kinect, we should be comparing it to motion controls as a whole, if one were inclined to make just such a comparison" (bold part was edited in)

So in response to a comparison that makes no sense, you suggested a different comparison that also makes no sense? For what purpose?

So in response to a comparison that makes no sense, you suggested a comparison that also makes no sense? For what purpose?

To have an argument that makes more sense? I already explained why the original comparison was silly; the modified one was less so. Even if it's something I may not agree with, it's something that I could see being argued if one were inclined, as I said before (and it seems some are, given the Kinect point came up at all).

Just because two sets of devices are different doesn't invalidate all comparisons.

pj

Banned
To have an argument that makes more sense? I already explained why the original comparison was silly; the modified one was less so, even if it's something I may not agree with, it's something that I could at least see being argued

I would argue the exact opposite. Comparing VR as a whole to Wii alone or Kinect alone makes far more sense than comparing VR to "motion controls".

Wii and Kinect have basically nothing in common

What is it about VR that sets some of you guys off? I wasn't attacking or even commenting on VR at all, so you're kneejerk overreaction is extremly odd. I've played for multiple hours over at my friend's house who has two Vives, even

People respond this way because there has been endless derisive comments about VR being a fad like motion controls. Evilore even had to make a sticky post about it so maybe don't act so surprised that people are tired of discussing it, even if you just meant it as a frame of reference. Referring to it weirdly as a genre didn't help either.

Referring to it weirdly as a genre didn't help either.

I already said it wasn't the best choice of word, but it wasn't meant as a dig at all regardless (I simply meant that VR is essentially its own category, which itself consists of subsets). Being hyper-defense doesn't help any more than the ones apparently posting derisive comments--and it certainly shouldn't be an excuse to make ridiculous categorizations about someone because they said something you didn't like (not you personally; I meant the person I replied to earlier).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm sure this will happen at some point.

I'm tempted to just make a "don't enter the game room when someone is in VR " rule in the house.

My kids think it is hilarious to sneak up and tap me in the shoulder when I'm using the vive. They might change their mind after I punch one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom