• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Lab is absolutely perfect as a launch game. The price to entry is wayyy to high, but it's notheless just as good as wii sports was as a showcase made for everyone.

Bravo Valve.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Can you post your config?

Could you post your config settings for it? I've been meaning to try Zelda in VR.

This is what i'm using. Drop the internal resolution as needed for smoother play. Remember that this is scaled to be like Lucky's Tale "dollhouse" style. You can change the scaling back up if you prefer.

arcodesapama.jpg

graphicswixgq.jpg

vr80x2s.jpg

vrconfiglgld4.jpg

Wollan

Thankfully the Vive is still somewhat playable with only one Base Station. I will try to find a generic power adapter in town tomorrow for the second one.

I see upgrades since I last played this around a month ago!

Graphics in The Lab is looking sharper. Maybe Valve has implemented the Adaptive Quality feature they presented at GDC? It's looking noticeably less foggy. I had to wait a couple of weeks for a replacement 3-in-1 cable but I think this is a software improvement.
They really didn't design The Lab around one base station though as the bow and arrow game is facing mostly away from it (probably based on the shape of my playable space). Is there a re-center function? Also, the bow & arrow game itself is slightly upgraded. Enemies drop ballons now that you can shoot for extra points. And the gate is slightly more facing the player I think and not sideways as much. And there's a planet demo.

Also, SteamVR Menu lets you browse and jump between all the VR games now and you have the 'This is Real' blue Vive backdrop and such.

kenmid

does anybody used wireless headphones when using the vive? And if so which ones do you used? i'm looking to pull the trigger on the corsair wireless headphone.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Would love to try WW on the vive. Does the game still have trouble with fire effects in certain levels?

I haven't gotten that far yet. Apparently there is an AR code to help with that.

The only issue I had was with the telescope in the beginning thus far. I eventually got it though. I recommend starting a new game NOT in VR, go through the opening cinematic and telescope thing. Save. Then start in VR. Would have been much easier that way.

Can anyone with experience installing the Minecraft Vive mod help me? I'm following these instructions but getting hung up on this step:

12: Install Minecrift Vive + Forge Installer and check "install forge"
13: Run Vive version now present in the Minecraft Client and Close it

Whenever I run from that profile, it downloads a little bit of stuff real quick and the game never launches. The button just goes back to "Play".

Trojan

Can anyone with experience installing the Minecraft Vive mod help me? I'm following these instructions but getting hung up on this step:

Whenever I run from that profile, it downloads a little bit of stuff real quick and the game never launches. The button just goes back to "Play".

Try this: click “edit” on the profile, go to the JVM arguments text field, and paste this at the very end (don’t include the quotes): “ -Dfml.skipFirstTextureLoad=false”.

I had this issue and it was fixed after pasting that in.

Onemic

Is there a way to get HL2 working with the Vive controllers? I heard that people were doing it with Oculus and the hydra controllers

Also for those of you that have used dolhpin VR with this, how do you set it up for the vive? the VR notes dont really tell you how to navigate to half of the things there. How do you turn on mirrored window and set it to 0x0 pixels? So far out of the 3 games Ive tried with VR(Metroid Trilogy, skyward sword, and twilight princess) only trilogy works, but I get a random window of what Im currently looking at placed on the upper left of my position, so none of the game are really playable for me atm.

Try this: click “edit” on the profile, go to the JVM arguments text field, and paste this at the very end (don’t include the quotes): “ -Dfml.skipFirstTextureLoad=false”.

I had this issue and it was fixed after pasting that in.

Nope. Still doing it :/

EDIT: Figured it out. Downloaded the wrong version of Forge.

EDIT2: Ok now I'm stuck at the grey screen. The Ghost Mouse bypass isn't working for some reason. I have the window full screen on my 1080p monitor, and I can hear the script click a button but the screen is still grey.

sqwarlock

I'm sure I can find the answer elsewhere, but how's this working for people with glasses? Can you wear the headset comfortably with them on? Can you adjust the focal length so you don't even need glasses? If so, does that fuck with visual quality/FOV/etc?

Trouble

Banned
I'm sure I can find the answer elsewhere, but how's this working for people with glasses? Can you wear the headset comfortably with them on? Can you adjust the focal length so you don't even need glasses? If so, does that fuck with visual quality/FOV/etc?

I am mildly nearsighted and I don't wear my glasses. I don't see how they would help. Things that are "far away" in VR don't look noticeably more blurry than if I wear my glasses. May have to do with the relatively low resolution.

Justin

I just turned on my pc and Vive update downloaded something and is now updating. Anyone see any update notes? I don't see anyone on Reddit mention an update.

Edit: never mind I see them in steam.

Scapegoat

Nope. Still doing it :/

EDIT: Figured it out. Downloaded the wrong version of Forge.

EDIT2: Ok now I'm stuck at the grey screen. The Ghost Mouse bypass isn't working for some reason. I have the window full screen on my 1080p monitor, and I can hear the script click a button but the screen is still grey.
On the grey screen try putting on your headset and looking around the room/grey space.

On the grey screen try putting on your headset and looking around the room/grey space.

Lol yep. That was the issue. Thanks guys.

EDIT: well sort of. Worked fine for 30 seconds, then crashed. Now it either crashes immediately, or only displays one eye in the HMD. When it does crash the log says it's "java.lang.error: Invalid memory access".

Anyone know where I can get the music from Call of the Starseed: The Gallery Episode 1? I just beat episode 1 and the music at the end coupled with the
awesome glowing alien hand power that you gain
is pretty sweet.

Looked on the Googles and youtube and nothing.

Anyone know where I can get the music from Call of the Starseed: The Gallery Episode 1? I just beat episode 1 and the music at the end coupled with the
awesome glowing alien hand power that you gain
is pretty sweet.

Looked on the Googles and youtube and nothing.

No idea, sorry. But I am curious if you were getting the framerate issues with chaperone? I had to stop playing because of it. Would like to continue but only solution I've seen is rolling back drivers. Hope they patch it.

No idea, sorry. But I am curious if you were getting the framerate issues with chaperone? I had to stop playing because of it. Would like to continue but only solution I've seen is rolling back drivers. Hope they patch it.

No frame rate issues whatsoever on a 5820K + 390X w/ high graphics settings. My play space is smaller so I've disabled my camera for chaperone, I only use the floor bounds and double tap for room view.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So I finally tried the Brookhaven Experiment Demo and well its fantastic and surprisingly its moody and creepy but not terrifying like some people make it out to be.

The Visitor creep ed me the fuck out.. and I think its cuz your helpless and at the mercy of the events unfolding around you.

Brookhaven tho. You got a gun , you got a flashlight and you feel powerful, like John Wick,sure its spooky but you can quickly assess threats and for the most part wait till they're fairly close and one shot head shot them.
Don't get me wrong...its a blast but I waited 4 days to try it cuz I was abit worried it would creap me out to much like the Visitor did...Nope ....but I was loving it..Preorded and can't wait for full release

Jthn

Neo Member
I've read that some people who wear glasses can get away with not wearing them in the vive. I tried taking off my glasses but I still couldn't see. Despite that, with my glasses on I am perfectly comfortable. It may take you an extra second to make sure your glasses don't ride up on your nose as you put the headset on but once it's on you're good. You can adjust how close the lenses are on the vive for extra comfort.
It's hard to tell, but when the screen is 90% white, I feel like I can see a glare/reflection because of my glasses. I've never noticed it in game though, mostly just loading screens (The Lab loading screen specifically) where you're standing around just waiting.

My order has shipped! Ahead of schedule too. My buddy placed the order Apr 29, with a June delivery estimate and I'll be getting a May 25 delivery!!! I am very excited. I just hope my PC shows up first.

Sorry but can we draw a line when it comes to avatars like yours? I feel like that could offend a lot of people.
Jesus Christ dude, are you for real? I mean, my God, just ignore it if it's gonna trigger you.

Paganmoon

Anyone know how I can get the Senza Peso demo to play on the Vive? Revive injector can't seem to fix it. Seems to have something to do with it using really old OR SDK's.

So short of downloading the the source code and seeing what my limited programing skills can do with it, what other options do I have?

Wollan

Wow. I had left the base station power adapter and the base station on the table overnight. I was packing up the power adapter just now to bring it to town to buy a replacement. I decided to try it again and it works!

What do you think could be cause of this? Static electricity?

Recap: The one power adapter was not working after two weeks of non-activity. It was plugged into the wall but the socket switch was off. I powered it on again yesterday but there was no Base station LED and the engine was going at a slow 'tick-tick-tick'. Changing the power-adapters between the Base stations yesterday confirmed that it was the one power-adapter that wasn't working.

Seems like I have a fully functioning Vive now finally.

kinggroin

Banned
The fuzzy strap grip stuff isn't going to last long. It's all frayed out and shit (I've had multiple get togethers with people of varying head size).

When it's completely ruined, what's our course of action?

Helznicht

I just can't get Elite to run decent with super sampling above anything but x1, even with the HMD quality turned down. On a 980 ti.

Try turning everything else down or off. I run a 970 @ i5 and with the HMD quality slider in he middle and SS at 2X it runs fairly well for me. Only judder I get is right at the landing pad in the big stations while parked.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
looks like CrossVR has fixed revive for Unreal based games so far.
He's had to bypass the DRM check to do it tho..sounds like its a last resort to keep the project alive.
Think he's working on Unity fix next

looks like CrossVR has fixed revive for Unreal based games so far.
He's had to bypass the DRM check to do it tho..sounds like its a last resort to keep the project alive.
Think he's working on Unity fix next

Some people are reporting that they're able to use revive by blocking certain oculus features through windows firewall. It's sad that's come to this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I understand the legal implications of it being tricky, but on an ethical level I don't see anything wrong with him bypassing the DRM to get the Vive headset to function with Oculus games. Locking the games to hardware, and blocking third parties who have created mods to allow it to be open is like the antithesis of the history of PC gaming culture. I don't like the idea of the PC platform being consolized in this way.

Some people are reporting that they're able to use revive by blocking certain oculus features through windows firewall. It's sad that's come to this.

My understanding is they're just blocking the update so they stay on 1.3. It's a very temporary solution until games start to require higher Oculus software version features.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
k just played some audio shield...WOW that is so damn fun
for the old farts like me Classic BonScott AC/DC works amazing, TNT, a touch to much,its a long way to the top...SO GOOD!

Onemic

Minecrift-Vive runs flawlessly on my R9 270. I wont install any texture or injection mods till I upgrade my GPU though.

Altspace also runs pretty well most of the time. Im pretty impervious to motion sickness so the few framerate drops that have showed up didnt bother me.

HL2 VR through VorpX is cool, but it would be way better with official native support from valve with roomscale. Without roomscale it really feels like a halfmeasure for what the real thing should be. There are also UI problems(UI is pretty much not visible) as well as problems with viewing your currently equipped weapon since it's partially occluded. Not to mention the floaty control scheme.

thematic

i need a little info here
i know they say the minimum GPU is GTX 970

but i'm still waiting for GTX 1070 or AMD's new cheap GPU for VR (they said about mainstream VR GPU)
currently i'm using GTX 750 Ti and my Vive should be here in 2 weeks

is there any way i can try VR using my current GPU?
i don't mind only the SteamVR virtual lobby (or virtual living room?)
as long as i can try my Vive for dead pixels and/or any hardware problems

any simple games can run "good enough for VR" using 750 Ti?

Thank You

Onemic

i need a little info here
i know they say the minimum GPU is GTX 970

but i'm still waiting for GTX 1070 or AMD's new cheap GPU for VR (they said about mainstream VR GPU)
currently i'm using GTX 750 Ti and my Vive should be here in 2 weeks

is there any way i can try VR using my current GPU?
i don't mind only the SteamVR virtual lobby (or virtual living room?)
as long as i can try my Vive for dead pixels and/or any hardware problems

any simple games can run "good enough for VR" using 750 Ti?

Thank You

Look at the post above you :p

The 750Ti is a lot worse than the R9 270 so if you were to try VR you would be limited at best to SteamVR Home, 10 year old VorpX/3D injection titles, or Minecrift-Vive

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just finished Vanishing Realms. That last bit after you beat the final section is ace (won't spoil it). But I'm now quite hot from randomly swiping my sword about all over the place.

Lots of fun and hopefully it'll get some updates for more areas

thematic

Look at the post above you :p

The 750Ti is a lot worse than the R9 270 so if you were to try VR you would be limited at best to SteamVR Home, 10 year old VorpX/3D injection titles, or Minecrift-Vive

LOL yeah, sorry i just read that after posting

cool, I don't mind only SteamVR Home (this is the virtual living room thing right?). as long as I can try the tracking features, dead pixels, and other hardware for failure.

Hickee

Thankfully the Vive is still somewhat playable with only one Base Station. I will try to find a generic power adapter in town tomorrow for the second one.

I'm still waiting on HTC to replace my defective power cable. Maplin sorted me out but the connection is a bit loose so I had to use a zip tie to give it a bit of tension in order to keep the power on.

Paganmoon

LOL yeah, sorry i just read that after posting

cool, I don't mind only SteamVR Home (this is the virtual living room thing right?). as long as I can try the tracking features, dead pixels, and other hardware for failure.

Not really virtual living room, that's more Oculus home. SteamVR is more like the construct of the matrix I suppose, pretty empty, though you can cycle through some pretty cool backgrounds. But not really much more.

Onemic

Not really virtual living room, that's more Oculus home. SteamVR is more like the construct of the matrix I suppose, pretty empty, though you can cycle through some pretty cool backgrounds. But not really much more.

Ya, though I forgot to add that virtual desktop and Bigscreen beta might work fine on a 750Ti as well. They both run flawlessly for me. BigScreen is pretty much a virtual living room(though unless you have a huge room you cant really walk around)

And/reas

Neo Member
had the time to setup my vive for the first time. Works like a charm so far. using it together with a MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro laptop. So far just tried tilt brush and the lab.
My base Station set up is not ideal but it works. I just put them on 2 chairs so the stations are at knee height. It works so far.

Now for games:
What can you recommend?
I will get Audio Shield, SPT, Vanising relams and Hover Junkers for now.

Are there any experiences? Like Roller Coasters, Flights, Horror Videos, I remember having trying some on an gear vr, there must be something similar for the vive.

thematic

Ya, though I forgot to add that virtual desktop and Bigscreen beta might work fine on a 750Ti as well. They both run flawlessly for me. BigScreen is pretty much a virtual living room(though unless you have a huge room you cant really walk around)

alright thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom