• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettWeir

I just turned on my pc and Vive update downloaded something and is now updating. Anyone see any update notes? I don't see anyone on Reddit mention an update.

Edit: never mind I see them in steam.

The update seems to have completely jacked up my virtual space. Everything (chaperone walls, floor, etc) all warp and move like a fisheye effect. WTH.

Thanks. I was getting scared. Restarted didn't fix it. It finally worked as normal after a third restart. :)

This happens to me occasionally. Specifically if I'm testing a project in Unity without Steam VR running, and then I open Steam VR, this happens maybe one time out of ten.

I purchased a VIVE on the 8th and hit has been quite the ride...

First, I gpt order confirmation on the 13th, got pre-charged on the 14th and my order shipped on the 19th. Looked peachy! It was going to be delivered on the 20th.

Then the problems started. First, DHL Ireland, which is... put it politely, not as competent as other DHL branches, sent my package from Dublin to Cork and then back to Dublin because "the address was incomplete" (it wasn't) and it won't be delivered until Monday. I took today off to install and play the VIVE but fine, not a big problem. I would be playing in a couple days.

Then just now I've discovered that my bank has denied the authorization for the payment, after a week, without asking me, and without me asking. And with my VIVE on my way.

I tried to contact HTC to repay the order, but all I get are generic/blank/broken "A shopper has emailed customer service with a request..." templates. After digging a bit it seems they changed the company that distributed the VIVEs some months ago and forgot to update their CS links so it's literally impossible to contact their CS. My bank cannot be contacted via email at all, and their phones don't open until Monday.

So now I'm here, Sunday tomorrow, and I don't know how to proceed. I don't want my VIVE to go back to Czech Republic, and I don't want to look like a scammer either. I've contacted both HTC and my bank via Twitter, but I'm dying to get a fast resolution.

Onemic

Thanks again for the response. I finally rebooted the PC and it appears to be stable now. Thanks again!

no problem!

Nope. Still doing it :/

EDIT: Figured it out. Downloaded the wrong version of Forge.

EDIT2: Ok now I'm stuck at the grey screen. The Ghost Mouse bypass isn't working for some reason. I have the window full screen on my 1080p monitor, and I can hear the script click a button but the screen is still grey.

If you're still stuck, just follow these instructions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4f5upo/minecraft_for_vive_in_vr_is_our_first_aaa_title/

RedFox85

a quick PSA about "VORPX"

I have had 0 issues with nausea in the variety of VR titles I have tried (including games like windlands and project cars). One of the things I wanted when I first started to see footage of the DK1 was to play Mirrors Edge and Skyrim in VR, these two games have been sitting in my library on steam unplayed waiting for the time when I could do this. I purchased VORPX a few days ago as there was no demo or trial option and everyone seems to speak well enough of it. After fiddling with settings and such for a good long while I can safely say that I wasted 40$.

There is NO refund option on VORPX so buyer beware, no matter what I try I get extremely sick after a short while of playing games via this method, in mirrors edge I am getting about 90FPS and still get sick.. to the point of ripping the headset off and saying "Nope!". Just thought I would put this out there for anyone else on the fence about the software, I think what I've learned is that if something isn't native to VR it just isn't worth your time or money trying to make it work.

I also found it funny that the VORPX software says 45FPS is where you should be at to play comfortably in skyrim.. like seirously.. 45FPS?? It's also worth noting that I had to run skyrim at some pretty crappy settings just to hit around 60 fps.. with a 970 and 4790k fwiw. I know that not everyone is getting motion sick obviously but I had thought after playing everything I have in VR with no problem I would be fine, turns out I was wrong.

TL;DR if you aren't sure about VORPX just hold off, it's not that great and there are no refunds.

Onemic

I have had 0 issues with nausea in the variety of VR titles I have tried (including games like windlands and project cars). One of the things I wanted when I first started to see footage of the DK1 was to play Mirrors Edge and Skyrim in VR, these two games have been sitting in my library on steam unplayed waiting for the time when I could do this. I purchased VORPX a few days ago as there was no demo or trial option and everyone seems to speak well enough of it. After fiddling with settings and such for a good long while I can safely say that I wasted 40$.

There is NO refund option on VORPX so buyer beware, no matter what I try I get extremely sick after a short while of playing games via this method, in mirrors edge I am getting about 90FPS and still get sick.. to the point of ripping the headset off and saying "Nope!". Just thought I would put this out there for anyone else on the fence about the software, I think what I've learned is that if something isn't native to VR it just isn't worth your time or money trying to make it work.

I also found it funny that the VORPX software says 45FPS is where you should be at to play comfortably in skyrim.. like seirously.. 45FPS?? It's also worth noting that I had to run skyrim at some pretty crappy settings just to hit around 60 fps.. with a 970 and 4790k fwiw. I know that not everyone is getting motion sick obviously but I had thought after playing everything I have in VR with no problem I would be fine, turns out I was wrong.

TL;DR if you aren't sure about VORPX just hold off, it's not that great and there are no refunds.

The very first title I tried in VR due to my underspec gpu was hl2 via vorpx. It made me feel a bit uneasy for the first day, but for the most part I was fine. Today I had no problems with it.

If youve had any motion sickness in your life dont touch VorpX. If youre like me and have never experienced motion sickness then VorpX might be fine for you. Even then I'd say to just get the other free 3D injection projects instead.

My problem with vorpx is that there are too many settings you have to play with to get a title playable and even then its still not that great.(either due to artifacts, missing hud, etc.) Granted Ive only tried HL2 and Quake(which doesnt work even though it says on their site that it's supported). I'll probably try fallout, witcher, and skyrim once I get the 1080. For 40 bucks though, I'd have rather had just stuck with the free injectors, especially since one of them plans to have roomscale support int he future.

DolphinVR is pretty solid depending on the title though. Windwaker in DolphinVR is awesome and Id recommend it to anyone.

Samaritan

I'm planning on getting a longer USB/HDMI cable for the breakout box so that I can use roomscale in the larger room next door to the room I keep my PC in. Is there a point where a USB and/or HDMI cable becomes too long where latency starts to factor in?

Enk

makes good threads.

I have yet to try VorpX with the CV1 but I could never get VorpX to work the way I wanted in the DK2 with games like Skyrim or Fallout 3. Basically once you're used to real VR experiences, faked one's like in VorpX are just headache inducing.

I've already mentioned this a few times already in the past but I did find some money's worth in the Theater Mode side of things since it added some additional features not found in similar modes like in Virtual Desktop and Steam, mainly with games that support Geometry 3D. VorpX essentially became my Dead Space and Legend of Grimrock program. the latter especially looked really great with the right settings.

XShagrath

I'm planning on getting a longer USB/HDMI cable for the breakout box so that I can use roomscale in the larger room next door to the room I keep my PC in. Is there a point where a USB and/or HDMI cable becomes too long where latency starts to factor in?
Answered multiple times already, but as long as you get an "active" USB extender if going past 15', you're fine. HDMI is rated up to 50'.

Maybe this info should go in the OP?

Wollan

Today's magical moment:

When I received the pickaxe in Vanishing Realms. When I started hacking away at ore and I was picking up lumps of gold and crystals... I was thinking straight away how I could solely play a crafter class in a VR MMO just spending my days digging tunnels and whatnot. It's also a great moment in the game as when introduced to this tool it gives a wonderful little mine with serene ambient music. This was Great.

What was not so great just five minutes ago: I managed to pull the Vive plug out as I reached the 9th (out of 9) Steel of Rites and it was very hectic but with me winning... Game crashed at that point.

First, I gpt order confirmation on the 13th, got pre-charged on the 14th and my order shipped on the 19th. Looked peachy! It was going to be delivered on the 20th.

Then the problems started. First, DHL Ireland, which is... put it politely, not as competent as other DHL branches, sent my package from Dublin to Cork and then back to Dublin because "the address was incomplete" (it wasn't) and it won't be delivered until Monday. I took today off to install and play the VIVE but fine, not a big problem. I would be playing in a couple days.

Then just now I've discovered that my bank has denied the authorization for the payment, after a week, without asking me, and without me asking. And with my VIVE on my way.

I tried to contact HTC to repay the order, but all I get are generic/blank/broken "A shopper has emailed customer service with a request..." templates. After digging a bit it seems they changed the company that distributed the VIVEs some months ago and forgot to update their CS links so it's literally impossible to contact their CS. My bank cannot be contacted via email at all, and their phones don't open until Monday.

So now I'm here, Sunday tomorrow, and I don't know how to proceed. I don't want my VIVE to go back to Czech Republic, and I don't want to look like a scammer either. I've contacted both HTC and my bank via Twitter, but I'm dying to get a fast resolution.

Dude. This doesn't sound like fun. Pretty sure things will work out though.

Wow, I just installed Minecrift for Vive and it's better than imagined. I already thought this would blow my nephew's mind but now with Minecraft his head may actually explode.

UnrealEck

Wow, I just installed Minecrift for Vive and it's better than imagined. I already thought this would blow my nephew's mind but now with Minecraft his head may actually explode.

Yeah my wee niece plays Minecraft. She keeps going on about what she's done in it (boring me in the process). I'd like to show her it in VR. It crashes all the time for me though. It runs for maybe 5 minutes then crashes.

I got 3D movies going in the theatre in Virtual Desktop. Mad Max looks quite good in 3D.
I also got Wind Waker on Dolphin going in 3D.

I'm going to try to play Dolphin in proper VR though.

jaaz

Would it have killed HTC to include a longer cord? The length included is barely manageable and pretty much requires you to have your PC within or right outside the playable area.

Can anyone provide links (e.g. Amazon) to extension cords that work?

jotun?

Just played the Budget Cuts demo for a third time. So good!

I hope they maintain the possibility of no-kill no-detection runs

jotun?

Would it have killed HTC to include a longer cord? The length included is barely manageable and pretty much requires you to have your PC within or right outside the playable area.

Can anyone provide links (e.g. Amazon) to extension cords that work?
Might help:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/cables
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4cwf3q/longdistance_testing_investigation/

Speedrunning it is pretty fun. Especially by "cheating". I'm at 52 seconds.

I do wonder what kind of solution they'll come up with to prevent walking through walls and such

Exuro

I do wonder what kind of solution they'll come up with to prevent walking through walls and such

Couldn't they just slide the world, and or just prevent the world from moving as you press against the wall?

I haven't used a Vive so I am just guessing.
Sliding via animating the slide would be bad due to the motion. Same does with not moving the world. Any sort of change in visual motion that isn't you moving your head in the world makes you sick. In Vanishing Realms it overlays your view with a solid cover when you look into walls and if you walk too far into it you get teleported back into the room. That's probably the best way to handle it.

I was having some tracking issues today for the first time when looking in certain positions, specifically when looking towards the floor at about a 45 degree angle in certain parts of the room. What's the best way to fix that kind of thing? I raised the lighthouse a few inches and set the room up again. They were at about 6' 5" now they are at about 7'.

MaDKaT

I was having some tracking issues today for the first time when looking in certain positions, specifically when looking towards the floor at about a 45 degree angle in certain parts of the room. What's the best way to fix that kind of thing? I raised the lighthouse a few inches and set the room up again. They were at about 6' 5" now they are at about 7'.

Mine are about 8' up in the office, 8 and 9' in the living room. Pictures were the biggest culprit for me in the living room (huge glossy plasma was no issue) and in the office, it was the crystal ornament on the ceiling fan pull chain. Guess it was scattering just enough.

RedFox85

Just spent maybe an hour and a half fiddling with Wind Waker in dolphin VR. This is no hackjob the game feels just about as good as Luckys Tale, no joke. It took me a minute to figure out the right settings but its running now with no judder and no sound issues.. plays really well and no nausea.

Mine are about 8' up in the office, 8 and 9' in the living room. Pictures were the biggest culprit for me in the living room (huge glossy plasma was no issue) and in the office, it was the crystal ornament on the ceiling fan pull chain. Guess it was scattering just enough.

I'll see how the higher mount works. The room is pretty empty of any reflective surfaces, the one window is covered completely with curtains. I'll test it out again a little later. It was weird because before tonight, I had never seen the grey screen for lost tracking. Tonight I was getting it annoyingly often.

I've never been into Minecraft but playing it in vr is intriguing. What's the process of doing so?

I followed this, worked perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IaPln-ARSQ

Animator

I have this weird thing happening where the vive is not showing up under the sound options > playback devices. Is there any way I can get that back? I tried restarting and switching usb ports but sound is from hdmi.

Onemic

Just spent maybe an hour and a half fiddling with Wind Waker in dolphin VR. This is no hackjob the game feels just about as good as Luckys Tale, no joke. It took me a minute to figure out the right settings but its running now with no judder and no sound issues.. plays really well and no nausea.

Its amazing man. Another killer app for sure. It's too bad no one really knows about this and Minecrift-Vive. Both are absolutely amazing. Especially if you've never played either, these are the AAA experiences you can get right now.

I wonder what other games work really well in DolphinVR. Im so disappointed that Metroid Prime Trilogy isnt playable with it. Trilogy + Motion controls + 360 degree standing would be mind blowing. It's also a first person title that might be better with those susceptible to motion sickness due to the way samus moves and the fact that you're inside a big suit.

Krejlooc

Banned

FWIW, here in the US, I got my Vive before they had actually withdrawn money from my bank. As in, I physically had my Vive in hand and the money was still in my bank. If your vive is already in the mail, I think you'll be fine. They didn't withdraw the money from my account until like a few days after I had my vive.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pool Nation yet? It's almost the end of May.

CaLe

This is what i'm using. Drop the internal resolution as needed for smoother play. Remember that this is scaled to be like Lucky's Tale "dollhouse" style. You can change the scaling back up if you prefer.

I tried these settings, but everytime I move my head around the picture gets jittery. It's hard to explain. Head tracking is not smooth, as it keeps trying to center the image ? There's also a black border present.

Do you have the same issue ?

Onemic

I tried these settings, but everytime I move my head around the picture gets jittery. It's hard to explain. Head tracking is not smooth, as it keeps trying to center the image ? There's also a black border present.

Do you have the same issue ?

I get the same thing. The title is best played at 1.0 since you wont get random camera placements during dialogue and cutscenes.

I followed this setup(Skip to the DolphinVR heading) and the game runs pretty perfect with these minus the wonky start menu. Once I get the 1080 Im definitely gonna see if I can bump up the resolution to 4K.

CaLe

I get the same thing. The title is best played at 1.0 since you wont get random camera placements during dialogue and cutscenes.

I followed this setup(Skip to the DolphinVR heading) and the game runs pretty perfect with these minus the wonky start menu. Once I get the 1080 Im definitely gonna see if I can bump up the resolution to 4K.

Thanks. I tried the guide and I still get the jittery camera movements when moving my head. I guess there's nothing that can be done right now.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Pretty much played hover junkers all night. Its definitely the best vive game outside of Elite Dangerous.

Anyone know of any games coming out soon i should keep on my radar?

I really want an fzero or wipeout style game. Oh and a golf game.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I played some Vanishing realms and absolutely love it. I really hope he adds more content.

The only thing I don't like is the way teleportation works and the room re centering.

There needs to be a better way to use teleportation that accounts for direction as well. When porting around the world in 2foot speed ports it loses something, But when I have the space to just walk around in an area and enjoy the room scale its remarkable.

I'd rather something similar to the labs port but where it accounts for where you are within room scale and potential that the port could change your facing direction after the port ,so you maximize how much room you have to move forward or around in.
In fact I'd like the max range of the port to be directly tied to your room scale so your moving one room scale tile to the next if that makes any sense.

The current system seems ideal for standing experience without the room to explore.

Paganmoon

Man, I'd love to have a better idea of the actual space the lighthouses are tracking. Hope they release some type of room view where they overlay exactly how much of the space each lighthouse is tracking, cause right now, I keep finding small parts of my room, usually nearer the corners, but some walls as well were the tracking is subpar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom