• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Just spent maybe an hour and a half fiddling with Wind Waker in dolphin VR. This is no hackjob the game feels just about as good as Luckys Tale, no joke. It took me a minute to figure out the right settings but its running now with no judder and no sound issues.. plays really well and no nausea.

Link to the latest Dolphin VR binary? All I find are SDKs.

So between firmware updates and steam updates my vive went nuts. Didn't work all day yesterday. Late last night I narrowed it down to one of the lighthouses. If I stood in front of one the other was like it wasn't working. I proved this by moving them towards each other. Using one at a time on channel b worked for both but when they were on channel b and c only one would work. I grabbed the firmware off of the one lighthouse and put it on the other and bam it all started working.

That was problem one.

The camera is all jacked now. I lose tracking when I go into the camera and it blanks out. Tried other USB ports etc. Lowered to 45hz and it was stable for a bit. Now it just won't turn on. Never had issues until the headset update I got on steam beta which I am no longer in. I'm just glad it is working with the lighthouses again. I was at my buddies house and his was also doing all sorts of weird shit like mine and he didn't update anything besides Steam. He was getting mad at his for the same stuff mine was doing.

me0wish

Hey guys, I've set up Vive for a friend yesterday, while it felt really fun to play, I generally felt underwhelmed and a bit disappointed, would really appriciate if someone can help me with the issues I had.

1- Low image quality: Pixels are obvious and they break the immersion, the image is blurry, colors weren't good.

2- It didn't feel 3D to me, the image wasn't poping out or it didn't feel like I was looking through a window, it felt like I had a screen on my face, I tried Samsung VR and it wasn't like that.

3- Calibration with the ground is always off, I calibrated it a couple of times, tried moving the light houses in different positions, but it keeps failing, I either have half of my body through the ground, or I'm too tall.

I dont know if this is related, but using the controllers at the edge of my play field and on the ground almost always takes the "sync" off.

I've searched for solutions, and I've tried to apply whatever I've found out, but the image quality is still low, and the blur is still there, any help will be greatly appriciated.

UnrealEck

2- It didn't feel 3D to me, the image wasn't poping out or it didn't feel like I was looking through a window, it felt like I had a screen on my face, I tried Samsung VR and it wasn't like that.

It shouldn't even be like looking through a window. I liken it more to being in another world wearing a scuba mask. Everything should surround you completely and you should be able to tell the size of things and how far away they are pretty much as well as you would in real life. It should be as 3D as the real world essentially.

jotun?

I think image quality and blurriness problems are usually from not having it sitting correctly on your face. 3D perception problems may mean you need to do the IPD adjustment

Paganmoon

I think image quality and blurriness problems are usually from not having it sitting correctly on your face. 3D perception problems may mean you need to do the IPD adjustment

Glare as well from my experience, though to get rid of glare I seem to have to have it in a perfect sweetspot which I can't seem to find every time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

What exactly did you try on Vive, because this one seems quite strange?

pj

Banned
Man, I'd love to have a better idea of the actual space the lighthouses are tracking. Hope they release some type of room view where they overlay exactly how much of the space each lighthouse is tracking, cause right now, I keep finding small parts of my room, usually nearer the corners, but some walls as well were the tracking is subpar.

Room Overview in Developer settings

artsi

I've searched for solutions, and I've tried to apply whatever I've found out, but the image quality is still low, and the blur is still there, any help will be greatly appriciated.

It's just not perfect, unfortunately. It should get better with later versions when screens and optics get better.

I put my Vive on sale yesterday, I'll either buy it again later if there's more content or just wait for the second generation. VR is cool, but not 1000€ worth of cool right now (for me).
But if I won't get any profit (possible as they're starting to roll into stores) I'll keep it and wait for better times.

Helznicht

I get the same thing. The title is best played at 1.0 since you wont get random camera placements during dialogue and cutscenes.

I followed this setup(Skip to the DolphinVR heading) and the game runs pretty perfect with these minus the wonky start menu. Once I get the 1080 Im definitely gonna see if I can bump up the resolution to 4K.

Tried DolphinVR with WW and those settings. Still the image pops around (unexpectedly and if i turn my head I can see the edge off the screen, then it auto corrects by again moving the image.Started making me ill so I quit (yes I disabled culling). Nice concept but I think it would be better to just play on a 2d screen in a big VR theater. Same experience without the wonky head tracking.

It seems that having Steam running while using the Vive has an enormous effect on performance. The biggest difference I've found so far has been in Henry (using Revive)-- with Steam running, it's unplayable. Close Steam, and it's perfect. I've also noticed similar issues with my own project in Unity-- when it's performing poorly, I can fix it by closing Steam.

Unfortunately, closing it is not an option for games that are purchased through Steam. And I don't think there's any other way to disable Steam integration, is there?

Animator

It seems that having Steam running while using the Vive has an enormous effect on performance. The biggest difference I've found so far has been in Henry (using Revive)-- with Steam running, it's unplayable. Close Steam, and it's perfect. I've also noticed similar issues with my own project in Unity-- when it's performing poorly, I can fix it by closing Steam.

Unfortunately, closing it is not an option for games that are purchased through Steam. And I don't think there's any other way to disable Steam integration, is there?

Don't you need to have steam Vr running to preview with vr in unity?

Exuro

Don't you need to have steam Vr running to preview with vr in unity?
Nope, it shifts to open vr. I personally haven't had performance issues with steam vr though.

The latest steamvr update did screw up the overlay while testing unity games. Whenever I go in and out I lose controllers in the unity app. Used to work before and I could even adjust parameters in the editor which was extremely convenient.

XShagrath

How many people in here would rather just pay someone to properly set up your VR? How much would you pay if so?
It's really not that difficult. Just drill a couple holes to mount the lighthouses and do the very easy room setup tutorial in the SteamVR software. I've had to do the room setup a few times when something happened (lighthouse got knocked?) and the floor was showing as incorrect. Doing the room setup takes all of one minute.

Noogy

Yeah, I agree. Perhaps adjusting the lenses closer/further apart would help? I have my complaints with VR but the 3d-ness of them isn't one of them.

The spacing between everyone's eyes is different, so an adjustment might be necessary.

Saganator

It's really not that difficult. Just drill a couple holes to mount the lighthouses and do the very easy room setup tutorial in the SteamVR software. I've had to do the room setup a few times when something happened (lighthouse got knocked?) and the floor was showing as incorrect. Doing the room setup takes all of one minute.

GAF probably isn't the best place to ask the question. If/when VR gains popularity, I wonder if there will be non-gamer types with money willing to pay someone to set the whole thing up and do it right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GAF probably isn't the best place to ask the question. If/when VR gains popularity, I wonder if there will be non-gamer types with money willing to pay someone to set the whole thing up and do it right.

Probably. You can pay IKEA to build your furniture for you, and that is pretty foolproof

seems i wasted money on minecraft. i installed the mods to make it work, but when i get to the menu its super jittery, and when i load into a game it crash after about 5 seconds.

Wallach

The lines where VR is that popular probably converges with the line where VR setup difficulty is low enough that pretty much anyone will be able to do it.

XShagrath

The lines where VR is that popular probably converges with the line where VR setup difficulty is low enough that pretty much anyone will be able to do it.
I think you're correct. I'm sure that PSVR will be pretty foolproof, even if it is a step down from Vive as far as tracking goes.

Onemic

seems i wasted money on minecraft. i installed the mods to make it work, but when i get to the menu its super jittery, and when i load into a game it crash after about 5 seconds.

Did you try this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4f5upo/minecraft_for_vive_in_vr_is_our_first_aaa_title/

Tried DolphinVR with WW and those settings. Still the image pops around (unexpectedly and if i turn my head I can see the edge off the screen, then it auto corrects by again moving the image.Started making me ill so I quit (yes I disabled culling). Nice concept but I think it would be better to just play on a 2d screen in a big VR theater. Same experience without the wonky head tracking.

That's weird, I get no such issues at all....Only problems that show up for me is the start menu not having correct orientation. Moving my head doesnt show the edge of the screen but the surrounding world. It never auto-corrected for me once. Ill post my settings a little later if you wanna try again.

Thanks. I tried the guide and I still get the jittery camera movements when moving my head. I guess there's nothing that can be done right now.

How jittery? I do get a bit of judder but not enough that Id say I really took notice.

me0wish

The lab, Vanishing realms, Space Pirate trainer, The blue, HordeZ, Audio shield. I never felt that I was there.

It's just not perfect, unfortunately. It should get better with later versions when screens and optics get better.

I put my Vive on sale yesterday, I'll either buy it again later if there's more content or just wait for the second generation. VR is cool, but not 1000€ worth of cool right now (for me).
But if I won't get any profit (possible as they're starting to roll into stores) I'll keep it and wait for better times.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, I was the most hyped out of my friends, and I'm the most disappointed, it's not nearly as good as the Internet makes it.

Surely the potential is there, but I think it will need a couple of years to be as good as I hoped it to be.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The lab, Vanishing realms, Space Pirate trainer, The blue, HordeZ, Audio shield. I never felt that I was there.

Did you adjust the IPD and the lenses distance from the eyes? Do you wear glasses?

The lack of 3d depth is a very strange complain. Especially about The Lab. The 3d sense in there is very good. The secret shop is one of the best 3d experiences.

Did you try this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4f5upo/minecraft_for_vive_in_vr_is_our_first_aaa_title/

That's weird, I get no such issues at all....Only problems that show up for me is the start menu not having correct orientation. Moving my head doesnt show the edge of the screen but the surrounding world. It never auto-corrected for me once. Ill post my settings a little later if you wanna try again.

How jittery? I do get a bit of judder but not enough that Id say I really took notice.

still same results. jittery menu, crash once i load in. getting error Description: Rendering Block Entity

Onemic

Ok, after fiddling with WW in VR Ive fixed the judder issue completly.

The settings I used are as follows:

gEVYXhA.jpg

5ovYqSv.png

sZlrWY2.jpg

yYl7kjp.jpg

m4ug8Ke.jpg

MPy0ziZ.jpg

r7aa5Y7.jpg

uRQB56a.jpg

- Make sure that SteamVR has display mirror unchecked
- Make sure you are in extended mode and not direct mode(direct mode is a lot more hw intensive and can introduce pop-in), when playing in extended mode make sure that background input in the controller settings is turned on

A few minor issues Ive found:

- start menu doesnt orient itself correctly
- there is a little line that you may notice on Links head.

Other than those two issues, the game runs like a dream. Once I get the 1080 Im really gonna try and push the res on this.

me0wish

Did you adjust the IPD and the lenses distance from the eyes? Do you wear glasses?

The lack of 3d depth is a very strange complain. Especially about The Lab. The 3d sense in there is very good. The secret shop is one of the best 3d experiences.

Yes.
No.

As far as I know, my eye sight is completely fine, I could feel the sense of scale, but I couldn't really feel the depth, maybe I was too tired and my brain wasn't functioning properly.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Does anyone know how to properly display SBS videos? Virtual Desktop makes everything too big. I read pressing F6 or F7 in windows media player does the trick, but I can't make it work...

Paganmoon

Yes.
No.

As far as I know, my eye sight is completely fine, I could feel the sense of scale, but I couldn't really feel the depth, maybe I was too tired and my brain wasn't functioning properly.

Depends on what you were expecting as well. VR isn't like 3D cinema with the depth. I mean, when seeing 3D at the movies, you NOTICE the dept. But when you're walking around in real life, you don't really think about depth. VR is more like that, in that you don't really notice the depth that way.

Just you mentioning you could feel the sense of scale. That's depth, that's getting the idea that "this object is huge, cause it's close" or "this object is huge, but still far away". So if you saw scale, you should've seen depth as well, you just didn't really notice it/think about it.

I think a lot of people go into VR thinking it'll be like 3D cinema, but... you know bigger. It's nothing like that at all imo.

Onemic

Fixed the crashing in Minecraft. Now just the jitter problem. And I realized I don't know what the he'll to do in this game

I assumed the judder was because of low framerate? Whenever I experience judder in the game it's always because the framerate is taking a hit.

I assumed the judder was because of low framerate? Whenever I experience judder in the game it's always because the framerate is taking a hit.
Not likely. Running 980ti with 6700k. Should my frame rate be set to unlimited? It won't let me lower it.

Edit: its smooth on my 2nd display

My biggest VR complaint is how SPT switches back to the triple shot every reset not matter which gun you are on. It is the little things.

I think I've tried a good amount of room scale stuff. Have not tried any seated/cockpit stuff yet. Any recommendations? I don't have a HOTAS or wheel but if it works well enough with a controller I'd be down for anything.

Paganmoon

My biggest VR complaint is how SPT switches back to the triple shot every reset not matter which gun you are on. It is the little things.

I think I've tried a good amount of room scale stuff. Have not tried any seated/cockpit stuff yet. Any recommendations? I don't have a HOTAS or wheel but if it works well enough with a controller I'd be down for anything.

SPT is still in Early Access iirc, so could be a good point to give the devs about.

Only tried Elite Dangerous on the Vive, and it works fine with the controller after you've learned all the buttons I'd say.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just tried Irrational Exuberance demo and it freaked me out big time. Someone is going to try this on drugs and will die.

Irrational Exuberance demo is the best secret experience on Vive. It's fantastic. I hope they follow up properly with the full thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom