• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
You know what's funny? My uncle tried it yesterday and while he was fairly entertained (he's not really into games, so he didn't bother walking around or moving his head much, even in things like SPT or Holopoint), he commented that while cool, it wasn't as impressive as theater 3D. He said nothing popped out at him.

The 360° 3D YouTube videos on my cardboard impressed him WAY more.

Yeah. My cardboard.

Some people are just wired differently.

Has anyone run into a problem with Project Cars not saving your Virtual Reality settings?

Yes, but then it suddenly started to save it for some reason. I'm not sure, but maybe it did after I exited the game by using the in game option instead of shutting it down through Steam.

I'm having a problem playing non vr games in steam theater. When I launch a non vr game it launches it on my tv but not my headset, it just stays in the basic steamvr menu.

Fixed the crashing in Minecraft. Now just the jitter problem. And I realized I don't know what the he'll to do in this game

I have overclocked SLI 980tis (well I'm sure it only utilizes one) and I do get more frame drops in Minecrift than anything else except Project Cars and Elite Dangerous. It's not too bad but it's definitely not a perfect experience. However, I was amazed at how well the interface was implemented for the Vive controllers considering this is a mod. Damn near perfect.

kinggroin

Banned
OK, I have both Duck Hunt VR game projects installed. I prefer the one that starts you in the hunting lodge. Better presentation, but it keeps friggin crashing. Gonna bring it up to the dev, hope he works on this further.

Love this community stuff.

Anyone try Cosmic Wandering? It's a game jam demo utilizing the "walkabout" system and made by the same developer. It's an interesting locomotion solution. A bit tedious and I think it will only work for larger spaces and in slower experiences but it works. I'd love for it to be an option in something like The Gallery.

I have overclocked SLI 980tis (well I'm sure it only utilizes one) and I do get more frame drops in Minecrift than anything else except Project Cars and Elite Dangerous. It's not too bad but it's definitely not a perfect experience. However, I was amazed at how well the interface was implemented for the Vive controllers considering this is a mod. Damn near perfect.

Did you launched thru SteamVR ?

Try launching it manually, thru the desktop.

Minecrift and minecraft with vive mod becomes unbearable for me when launching thru the SteamVR.

Got the HTC Vive setup this avo
Curse them for not including a dvi to hdmi cable or whatever because not everyone has a spare Dvi-d cable or a converter to put an hdmi out to the tv!

Anyway this was my first ever VR experience. It was part amazing and part disappointing. Amazing: controller tracking and sense of Presence.
Disappointing: fly screen effect over the image and the way that moves with your head, poor resolution away from center with chroma aberration and so on, scuba mask shape to the view and the headset never really disappears I was always conscious of it and the cables..

I am going to enjoy demoing it, not so much using it myself until I hear of a must-play title!

kinggroin

Banned
Got the HTC Vive setup this avo
Curse them for not including a dvi to hdmi cable or whatever because not everyone has a spare Dvi-d cable or a converter to put an hdmi out to the tv!

Anyway this was my first ever VR experience. It was part amazing and part disappointing. Amazing: controller tracking and sense of Presence.
Disappointing: fly screen effect over the image and the way that moves with your head, poor resolution away from center with chroma aberration and so on, scuba mask shape to the view and the headset never really disappears I was always conscious of it and the cables..

I am going to enjoy demoing it, not so much using it myself until I hear of a must-play title!

Go play it man. Some recommendations:

Budget Cuts demo
Holoball for a highly polished ultra stylized Pong
Cyber Pong for a really awesome take on the "breakout" formula
The Lab for archery, xortex, and general fucking around
Job Simulator for a hilarious and super interactive sim
Holopoint for some badass score attack archery with an awesome soundtrack
Tiltbrush for a super impressive paint program
Fantastic Contraption if you liked puzzle games like the incredible machine
Water Bears is a charming puzzle game similar to where's my water
Hover Junkers is an online fps multiplayer title that's part Mad Max, part Borderlands in aesthetics. Active community, easy to find games.
Space Pirate Trainer for arcade-like shooting gallery (think galaga)
Vanishing Realms for an intuitive VR fps adventure RPG.
Project Cars (if you have a fast PC) for AAA sim racer
Minecrift (not a misspelling) is a VR port of Minecraft and is one of the more impressive titles, fully utilizing the Vice's capabilities.

Enjoy

UnrealEck

Does anyone know how to properly display SBS videos? Virtual Desktop makes everything too big. I read pressing F6 or F7 in windows media player does the trick, but I can't make it work...

Use the desktop and just play the video in a media player like VLC or Media Player Classic. The put it in fullscreen.
The best 3D I've found is in the cinema theatre doing this way. Put the video in fullscreen then press the hotkey to go into SBS or whatever matches your video's format for 3D.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Use the desktop and just play the video in a media player like VLC or Media Player Classic. The put it in fullscreen.
The best 3D I've found is in the cinema theatre doing this way. Put the video in fullscreen then press the hotkey to go into SBS or whatever matches your video's format for 3D.
The thing is, I have a mac keyboard and I can't find the hotkey :(

Question: is Twightlight Princess worth it in DolphinVR?

Onemic

The thing is, I have a mac keyboard and I can't find the hotkey :(

Question: is Twightlight Princess worth it in DolphinVR?

Ive tested it out and the game works but has audio popping.(GC version only, the wii version has artifacts and is unplayable) Granted I have an underspec GPU, and was below framerate most of the time, so its very possible the popping was because of that. If you have the hw, try it out, it might work ok.

The only dolphin games I know work near flawlessly in VR are:

WindWaker
F-Zero GX
Xenoblade Chronicles
Paper Mario

EDIT: played around with some settings to increase the framerate and the popping because less noticeable the closer you are to 75FPS. Other than the popping everything seems fine. The sense of presence is really good, just like WindWaker and Xenoblade

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't turn on SteamVR before launching then? I'll give that a try this evening.

mine was weird with steam VR so I have to launch it without anyway. Hopefully they'll sort this out soon - seems odd for valve as a software dev to have so many issues with this. Maybe it came out of the oven a bit hot?

Onemic

My PC cant find my headset anymore.... I dunno what to do. I've tried restarting my PC and nothings changed. Even tried rebooting the HMD any holding down the button to the side of the headset and reinstalling the firmware...nothing

kinggroin

Banned
My PC cant find my headset anymore.... I dunno what to do. I've tried restarting my PC and nothings changed. Even tried rebooting the HMD any holding down the button to the side of the headset and reinstalling the firmware...nothing

Go to developer settings in Steam VR. Go to USB and click the button that says it'll remove all drivers. Completely disconnect the Vive from your PC. Reboot.

When back in Windows, plug it all back in and let everything reinstall.

Ugh, do you really need an Oracle account for Minecrift... that's one hell of a setup process.

Worth it.

Onemic

Go to developer settings in Steam VR. Go to USB and click the button that says it'll remove all drivers. Completely disconnect the Vive from your PC. Reboot.

When back in Windows, plug it all back in and let everything reinstall.

Worth it.

Just tried it. Nothing. It cant even detect the base stations

EDIT: fixed! Problem had to do with one of my monitors being disconnected in the display settings

Don't turn on SteamVR before launching then? I'll give that a try this evening.

mine was weird with steam VR so I have to launch it without anyway. Hopefully they'll sort this out soon - seems odd for valve as a software dev to have so many issues with this. Maybe it came out of the oven a bit hot?

Actually, just launch the minecraft.exe with SteamVR running.

BUT DONT launch the minecraft inside SteamVR dashboard.

That´s it.

Something when launching the game from the SteamVR´s dashboard generate some stuttering.

Tried VR for the first time today. I was really impressed with the Vive. Felt very comfortable. The controls were great. Actually seeing the controllers rendered in the VR world makes so much sense but it's still genius. The sense of immersion and scale is very very impressive. Literally the only negative thing is the screen door effect.

VR is going to be absolutely incredible in the future with higher resolution displays. It is absolutely the future. I'm a believer.

Actually, just launch the minecraft.exe with SteamVR running.

BUT DONT launch the minecraft inside SteamVR dashboard.

That´s it.

Something when launching the game from the SteamVR´s dashboard generate some stuttering.
I've noticed almost every game/demo/experience I've downloaded outside of Steam usually has an issue with this. I think it's a Unity thing. EDIT: Though guess not if Minecraft is having a problem with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i wonder if it'd be possible to get a copy of the gaf minecraft server set up for minecraft VR use. Or just a multiplayer server generally to run alongside?

pCars: any settings recommendation here? I have a SLI 980ti, but SLI isn't working, so...

Just put everything on low.

Then up the AA SuperSampling FIRST. I dont recall exactly right now the option, but for me was Ds4x if im not mistaken.

After that, up the textures and other effects.

SSAA gives the best results. If you have the horsepower, set it at 8x.

After all that, choose a car that you have ride before. While you are driving, pause the game, go in VR options and set the world scale and seat position to your liking and you will got the PRESENCE.

Animator

After having my Vive for a week....man I want the next generation of VR headsets already. Once they fix the resolution/blurriness issue VR will be life changing. Currently every time I put it on I go "I wish the resolution was higher because you can't help but keep noticing the blurry image.

Onemic

After having my Vive for a week....man I want the next generation of VR headsets already. Once they fix the resolution/blurriness issue VR will be life changing. Currently every time I put it on I go "I wish the resolution was higher because you can't help but keep noticing the blurry image.

2nd gen HMDs will be awesome. Hopefully something is announced by next years CES or E3

XShagrath

I guess I should count myself lucky that I have shitty eyesight. I notice the pixels when I first put the HMD on, but after I get into a game, I'm totally immersed and don't care at all anymore.

I have great eyesight and its the same way for me. It's only noticeable if you're looking for it.

Same here. And having experienced early VR, I'm glad it's the way it is now.

It really is a great step up from DK1 and DK2.

If the game is great, you'll forget about current flaws very easily. Hell, I've played the entirety of HL1 on my DK1. One sick evening at a time xD

Onemic

Same here. And having experienced early VR, I'm glad it's the way it is now.

It really is a great step up from DK1 and DK2.

If the game is great, you'll forget about current flaws very easily. Hell, I've played the entirety of HL1 on my DK1. One sick evening at a time xD

I was talking about SDE specifically. Im not sure about native VR games since my gpu currently cant play them, but for DolphinVR and BigScreenBeta the resolution does get noticeable if you dont downsample. After you do that it's fine.

I was talking about SDE specifically. Im not sure about native VR games since my gpu currently cant play them, but for DolphinVR and BigScreenBeta the resolution does get noticeable if you dont downsample. After you do that it's fine.

Non-native games are a different beast entirely, and yes, resolution is more noticeable.

Plasmid

Fedex had my vive on a truck, and didn't deliver it because "package not due for delivery"

God damn i'm fuming. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO WORK AROUND NOT BEING AT HOME FOR A PACKAGE FEDEX?

Ugh, Tomorrow.

Froli

Found this on /oculus /vive subreddit posted by Alan Yates

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4kpdg5/alan_yates_the_cv1_is_otherwise_a_direct_copy_of/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4klu94/oculus_becoming_bad_for_vr_industry/d3g6e6j?context=3

vk2zay

While that is generally true in this case every core feature of both the Rift and Vive HMDs are directly derived from Valve's research program. Oculus has their own CV-based tracking implementation and frensel lens design but the CV1 is otherwise a direct copy of the architecture of the 1080p Steam Sight prototype Valve lent Oculus when we installed a copy of the "Valve Room" at their headquarters. I would call Oculus the first SteamVR licensee, but history will likely record a somewhat different term for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom