• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Chief

This is old news. Valve knowingly shared all their tech with Oculus. The only thing that changed was that then Oculus got bought by Facebook and cut off all ties and kept their tech. But yeah, it's long been known that almost all of the tech in the CV1 was developed by Valve and freely shared with Oculus.

jotun?

So, Fantastic Contraption. This is a game that I should love, because I've loved this type of game in the past. But unless I'm missing something, the lack of tools is killing me.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of angle snap tool or option, so it's practically impossible to get wheels or other parts all properly aligned with each other. Lack of symmetry or copy tools hurts too. The worst though is that I'm not aware of any Undo function, and it's easy too easy to screw up an entire machine by grabbing the wrong part of a bar.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Also, what's the difference between the wooden bars and the other ones(water balloons?), and what is the black sphere/blob for?

Sky Chief

If only Valve would actually build a full Xortex game. Even though its a demo the Valve production quality is pretty apparent.

Xortex gives me the most powerful sense of presence of anything on the Vive. I think it's a combination of Valve magic and because everything is so close to you that it's really crisp and you don't have any issues of things looking low res in the distance.

kinggroin

Banned
Big Screen supports controllers now? YES!!

Hopefully they add the ability to teleport or move around with the controls like Altspace

Yep, and then I can finally ditch Alt Space for watching movies in a group (via YouTube).

Edit: I wish someone would make a thread for this particular application. So boss to share an environment with others while gaming or catching some flicks.

Helznicht

kinggroin

Banned
I have yet to get a game to run in this app.it always goes to a black screen and then I have to reboot my PC. what am I doing wrong?

Also the top of the screen always feel to far away like it expects me to be taller looking down on it. is there a way to tilt the virtual monitor?

Read the thread, it covers all that.

But as far as launching games, you go to the steam settings and then "in-game" menu, unchecked the option for VR Theater.

Onemic

Yep, and then I can finally ditch Alt Space for watching movies in a group (via YouTube).

Edit: I wish someone would make a thread for this particular application. So boss to share an environment with others while gaming or catching some flicks.

Ya I really think Altspace and BigRoom show that social aspects of VR are just on another level entirely.

Exuro

So trying to play a game while in big screen. How do I disable steam vr theater? I'd use that but my fps tanks in most games I've tried with it.

edit: nevermind, found it in the settings.

Anyone having any problems with Portal Stories? I can no longer teleport. Reloaded, started a new game, uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing works.

Go play it man. Some recommendations:

Budget Cuts demo
Holoball for a highly polished ultra stylized Pong
Cyber Pong for a really awesome take on the "breakout" formula
The Lab for archery, xortex, and general fucking around
Job Simulator for a hilarious and super interactive sim
Holopoint for some badass score attack archery with an awesome soundtrack
Tiltbrush for a super impressive paint program
Fantastic Contraption if you liked puzzle games like the incredible machine
Water Bears is a charming puzzle game similar to where's my water
Hover Junkers is an online fps multiplayer title that's part Mad Max, part Borderlands in aesthetics. Active community, easy to find games.
Space Pirate Trainer for arcade-like shooting gallery (think galaga)
Vanishing Realms for an intuitive VR fps adventure RPG.
Project Cars (if you have a fast PC) for AAA sim racer
Minecrift (not a misspelling) is a VR port of Minecraft and is one of the more impressive titles, fully utilizing the Vice's capabilities.

Enjoy

thanks.

So far I'd place The Lab as #1, almost all the experiences in it are well executed.
TheBlu is worth the price as a demo for other people and turns the scuba mask effect to a strength
Budget Cuts is interesting as a movement alternative the portal gives you a sort of orientation prior to warping.
Job Simulator is good for bystanders

I am not really enjoying TiltBrush or fantastic contraption too much. Maybe I'll try again.

Minecraft/Minecrift I'll try because It would be free however I already realise that no way on earth am I going to let a game walk for me thats instant barf .. so it would be limited to small fixed areas of movement. Which means its a sort of sightseeing mod.

kinggroin

Banned
Is there a webpage with documentation somewhere? I can't find anything other than the Steam page.

Main question is can I display multiple monitors? Or even make it move all apps to one virtual monitor like RDP does.

Not sure honestly. The link provided mentions fixes for multiple display setups. The developer is there answering questions too, so why not pick his brain?

kinggroin

Banned
thanks.

So far I'd place The Lab as #1, almost all the experiences in it are well executed.
TheBlu is worth the price as a demo for other people and turns the scuba mask effect to a strength
Budget Cuts is interesting as a movement alternative the portal gives you a sort of orientation prior to warping.
Job Simulator is good for bystanders

I am not really enjoying TiltBrush or fantastic contraption too much. Maybe I'll try again.

Minecraft/Minecrift I'll try because It would be free however I already realise that no way on earth am I going to let a game walk for me thats instant barf .. so it would be limited to small fixed areas of movement. Which means its a sort of sightseeing mod.

Minecraft is room scale and teleport for movement. No forced stuff, so you won't get sick. Play and move at your own pace.

Zalusithix

That zen like state you can get into in Audioshield where you're practically subconsciously reading the upcoming patterns and optimizing your hand positions and angles to best flow from one cross-over to another... Worth every penny of the VR admission price.

The fact that VR can tap into the spacial coordination and tool usage that we've been honing every day since we were born helps massively with allowing things to "just happen" without thinking too much (or even at all) about them. The abstractions are gone. It's primal and compelling. Traditional gaming seems almost sterile in comparison by its abstractions.

Don't get me wrong, I still like traditional gaming. VR hasn't diminished my enjoyment of it in the least. It's just that traditional gaming is akin to a crane game. You're using a tool to manipulate another tool within a space that you otherwise can't interact with. No matter how fun it is, you'll always feel like a puppeteer. VR is akin to ripping the top off of the crane game and picking up the prize with your hands. You don't have to think. You just do.

RedFox85

Anyone using dolphin VR on the vive can you tell me have you found a way to get smooth judderless head tracking while maintaining the games proper audio sync/framerate? the step up to 75 option under Opcode is the best I can do with a frame limiter of 60 but it's not perfect. If I set the games frame limiter to 90 I get perfectly smooth headtracking and lagless gameplay but everything is moving at 30 frames faster than it should including the audio.. there is like no perfect middle ground.

Minecraft is room scale and teleport for movement. No forced stuff, so you won't get sick. Play and move at your own pace.

I'll try, but, minecraft (the original game) involves a ton of movement. You're always moving. Kiting mobs, moving to mine, moving to get to different areas.

In the Lab I have to use teleport sparingly because the sudden change of position is disorienting, and if you do it sequentially it gets nauseous.

Even if this problem is something that can be adjusted to it becomes a barrier to entry.

artsi

Just took my (old) Vive to the post office, I hope the new owner will be happy. At least he can be sure to get a good unit without any dead pixels or other faults.

A bit sad to say goodbye, but... we'll see again later :p

Paganmoon

Any way to run/emulate GearVR games/apps for Vive? Would love to try the Walk VR, but only available on mobileVR. Strange as fuck really with some of these stuff, that they don't try to move them over to other platforms themselves.

Onemic

Anyone using dolphin VR on the vive can you tell me have you found a way to get smooth judderless head tracking while maintaining the games proper audio sync/framerate? the step up to 75 option under Opcode is the best I can do with a frame limiter of 60 but it's not perfect. If I set the games frame limiter to 90 I get perfectly smooth headtracking and lagless gameplay but everything is moving at 30 frames faster than it should including the audio.. there is like no perfect middle ground.

Ya there is, but it's highly dependent on the game. What are you trying to run?

And set the framerate limit to 75, there's no timewarp for 90fps yet.

Onemic

Im really considering biting on the Leap Motion. It already has UE4 and Unity support. If somehow Steam can integrate the Leap Motion with their 2nd gen HMD that would be amazing for the immersion factor in games. Leap Motion + Motion controllers out of the box would be amazing. Its already amazing in Altspace as it makes you able to read body language among other things.

You can use the "extra timewarp frames" to help. I found with Windwaker that "2" worked quite well.

I have it set to 1, but everything functions perfectly minus the menu orientation.(which is being worked on in the next DolphinVR version) No judder at all. It would be cool if someone made a dedicated DolphinVR thread with the settings needed to play supported games perfectly.

The PCSX2 devs need to get on adding native VR support as well.

Compsiox

Banned
Just took my (old) Vive to the post office, I hope the new owner will be happy. At least he can be sure to get a good unit without any dead pixels or other faults.

A bit sad to say goodbye, but... we'll see again later :p

Old Vive? If you're talking about selling your Pre and getting the consumer I gotta ask, why? The only difference is the Bluetooth functionality and the strap.

artsi

Old Vive? If you're talking about selling your Pre and getting the consumer I gotta ask, why? The only difference is the Bluetooth functionality and the strap.

Nah I sold my consumer version, I just said old because it's not mine anymore :p
Made a nice profit and I can buy one again later when there's a bit more VR content, and when I've finished all the time hungry games there's coming soon.

Compsiox

Banned
Nah I sold my consumer version, I just said old because it's not mine anymore :p
Made a nice profit and I can buy one again later when there's a bit more VR content, and when I've finished all the time hungry games there's coming soon.
Ah okay. No reason to put old there then. Cause it's already inferred that it isn't yours anymore since you said you brought it to the post office.

Korezo

Where you sold it? Ill sell mine to since my most anticipated game pcars runs like crap on it, so I don't even use it.

I moved cross country recently and my buddy was sure to send the vive to my new address. Vive came today, PC and the rest of my stuff hasn't. I have this big beautiful headset and nothing to play it with.

At least the packaging is nice.

artsi

Where you sold it? Ill sell mine to since my most anticipated game pcars runs like crap on it, so I don't even use it.

I sold it to someone in my country via a local internet marketplace, I didn't want to risk eBay with someone buying it and using a fraudulent PayPal chargeback. I was surprised it sold so quick despite a high price.

Despera

Banned
Spare room renovated (had to fix up the floor, add an AC unit, cover the window with cheap curtains, etc...) and my Vive setup is almost complete. Ended up with a 3.6x3.1 meter play area with a tolerance of 1 ft on each side.

Here's a shitty attempt at taking a panoramic view shot of said room

Rbwjz4T.jpg

The carpet in the center provides a nice cushion for when I play Hover Junkers and other games that have you dropping to your knees constantly. And when I'm on it I know that I can flail to my heart's content without worrying about hitting something since its edges are a safe distance from any obstacles.

Got my Vive a couple of days ago and played around in it a bit. Best game on the thing right now from what I've played is Vanishing Realms. Played it start to end in one sitting (took me 2.5 hrs to finish). Can only imagine how amazing a polished, higher budget Zelda-esque VR title would be.

Also played a bit of The Lab mini games and it makes me hope that Valve's actually working on a proper full VR title. Seeing GLaDOS up close and personal was probably the most presence I felt so far. When she got suddenly close I couldn't help but lean back out of reflex.

Played some Hotline Miami 2 tracks in Audioshield and that was both really enjoyable and really exhausting. You can really feel the rhythm while playing on Harder difficulty. Tried doing a song on Normal and couldn't feel much of the rhythm.

Will try playing Elite Dangerous later with my X52 hotas. Should be awesome.

So Yeah, any recommendations for stuff outside of Steam? Was trying to keep a close eye on things as they pop up, but was too busy these past couple of weeks.

Im really considering biting on the Leap Motion. It already has UE4 and Unity support. If somehow Steam can integrate the Leap Motion with their 2nd gen HMD that would be amazing for the immersion factor in games. Leap Motion + Motion controllers out of the box would be amazing. Its already amazing in Altspace as it makes you able to read body language among other things.

As someone who has one, I'd say hold off. There just aren't that many things you can actually do with it right now beyond tech demos. It's basically Spell Fighter and that's it. If you can find one cheap then go for it, but otherwise the $80-ish asking price is too much at the moment.

Onemic

As someone who has one, I'd say hold off. There just aren't that many things you can actually do with it right now beyond tech demos. It's basically Spell Fighter and that's it. If you can find one cheap then go for it, but otherwise the $80-ish asking price is too much at the moment.

Ya, that seems best actually. The potential for this hardware is huge, so I really hope HTC and Valve find a way to integrate the tech into gen 2.

Zalusithix

Ya, that seems best actually. The potential for this hardware is huge, so I really hope HTC and Valve find a way to integrate the tech into gen 2.

Integration is probably a patent minefield without explicitly licensing that implementation. Probably better off remaining an add on peripheral.

Apoc29

So, Fantastic Contraption. This is a game that I should love, because I've loved this type of game in the past. But unless I'm missing something, the lack of tools is killing me.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of angle snap tool or option, so it's practically impossible to get wheels or other parts all properly aligned with each other. Lack of symmetry or copy tools hurts too. The worst though is that I'm not aware of any Undo function, and it's easy too easy to screw up an entire machine by grabbing the wrong part of a bar.

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Also, what's the difference between the wooden bars and the other ones(water balloons?), and what is the black sphere/blob for?

I also wish there was an angle snap option, but I can still get by without it.

Wooden bars are solid whereas the balloon bars can connect pieces in the same way but they pass through solid objects when you run the simulation. Haven't used the balloon bars much myself, but I can see a situation where you might need a solid object orbiting something but you don't want its 'arm' to get in the way.

The black blob is like glue and makes joints solid so they don't flail around. By default, joints are loose like your elbow, but adding the blob will make it fixed in place (imagine not being able to rotate your forearm).

The little pins on the cat's head can be used to destroy individual pieces. I personally, however, like to toss the pieces into the abyss instead.

The bouncy ball on the cat's collar can be attached to pieces to create a visible trail as your machine moves to better diagnose problems.

If you're too lazy to grab bars off the cat, you can reach behind your back for an infinite supply.

RedFox85

Ya there is, but it's highly dependent on the game. What are you trying to run?

And set the framerate limit to 75, there's no timewarp for 90fps yet.

Trying to run Windwaker.

GTX 970
I7 4790k
16GB of ram

Like I said there is a slight and annoying judder when you play outside of the 90FPS frame limiter. I set it to 75 and did a pullup of 60 to 75 which seems to work pretty well but things are too fast, audio is slightly too fast and gameplay too. There is also this annoying crackle.. its faint but its there.

Onemic

Trying to run Windwaker.

GTX 970
I7 4790k
16GB of ram

Like I said there is a slight and annoying judder when you play outside of the 90FPS frame limiter. I set it to 75 and did a pullup of 60 to 75 which seems to work pretty well but things are too fast, audio is slightly too fast and gameplay too. There is also this annoying crackle.. its faint but its there.

Ya, that game is perfectly playable with no judder or audio crackle if you use the right settings. There's an option in Dolphin that helps remove the game speedup. I posted the settings I use a few pages back:

Ok, after fiddling with WW in VR Ive fixed the judder issue completly.

The settings I used are as follows:

- Make sure that SteamVR has display mirror unchecked
- Make sure you are in extended mode and not direct mode(direct mode is a lot more hw intensive and can introduce pop-in), when playing in extended mode make sure that background input in the controller settings is turned on

A few minor issues Ive found:

- start menu doesnt orient itself correctly
- there is a little line that you may notice on Links head.

Other than those two issues, the game runs like a dream. Once I get the 1080 Im really gonna try and push the res on this.

I think once I test enough games with the 1080 I'll make a dedicated DolphinVR thread. Information on the best settings to use for each game is all over the place and would really help if there was one consolidated thread of info.

RedFox85

Ya, that game is perfectly playable with no judder or audio crackle if you use the right settings. There's an option in Dolphin that helps remove the game speedup. I posted the settings I use a few pages back:

I think once I test enough games with the 1080 I'll make a dedicated DolphinVR thread. Information on the best settings to use for each game is all over the place and would really help if there was one consolidated thread of info.

Thanks man I will try your tip about extend vs direct in steam VR settings. Did you set the dolphin VR setting to "direct" or extend? I have it on direct currently. I am currently using opcode pullup 60 to 75.

Onemic

Thanks man I will try your tip about extend vs direct in steam VR settings. Did you set the dolphin VR setting to "direct" or extend? I have it on direct currently. I am currently using opcode pullup 60 to 75.

I didnt even know there was a direct/extended mode option in DolphinVR settings. Where did you see that? Im on the April 2016 build of DolphinVR. Since I never knew about it, it would be set to whatever the default settings were.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Spare room renovated (had to fix up the floor, add an AC unit, cover the window with cheap curtains, etc...) and my Vive setup is almost complete. Ended up with a 3.6x3.1 meter play area with a tolerance of 1 ft on each side.

Here's a shitty attempt at taking a panoramic view shot of said room

The carpet in the center provides a nice cushion for when I play Hover Junkers and other games that have you dropping to your knees constantly. And when I'm on it I know that I can flail to my heart's content without worrying about hitting something since its edges are a safe distance from any obstacles.

Great space - lots of room to move *and* a buffer zone. How big is that rug in the middle?

I think that amount of free space is a luxury for most people, but I would certainly look at how I might configure a guest/spare bedroom in a future house. Eg having a Murphy style foldaway bed.

Integration is probably a patent minefield without explicitly licensing that implementation. Probably better off remaining an add on peripheral.

My "out there" theory is that something like this will be standard in all headsets eventually. It makes too much sense especially for mainstream use to forgo the need for physical controllers as much as possible.

EDIT: Reading through the latest "VR is DOA" thread and I can't remember. Did anyone ever make a thread about the Minecraft VR mod? When we're talking about VR games that deserve their own thread, I think that's a definite one.

Onemic

My "out there" theory is that something like this will be standard in all headsets eventually. It makes too much sense especially for mainstream use to forgo the need for physical controllers as much as possible.

EDIT: Reading through the latest "VR is DOA" thread and I can't remember. Did anyone ever make a thread about the Minecraft VR mod? When we're talking about VR games that deserve their own thread, I think that's a definite one.

Nope. That and DolphinVR deserve their own official thread imo. I'll do it if no one ends up making one in the next few weeks.

Despera

Banned
Great space - lots of room to move *and* a buffer zone. How big is that rug in the middle?

I think that amount of free space is a luxury for most people, but I would certainly look at how I might configure a guest/spare bedroom in a future house. Eg having a Murphy style foldaway bed.
rug's 2.5x1.6 m^2.

Just played the Budget Cuts demo and being able to physically sneak around felt incredible. When a robot spotted me and was about to shoot I immediately ducked for cover that was ~3-4 ft from where I was standing. Just hearing the bullet whiz by as I frantically try to grab a throwing knife from my inventory was pretty damn intense.

I don't know how I'll ever go back to regular gaming. Guess I'll have to put my Dark Souls 3 and Doom playthroughs on hold for now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://staticmultimedia.com/video-games/pool-nation-vr-arriving-this-june/

Pool Nation VR will be finally out on 1st of June.

unnamed.jpg

Pool Nation VR Gameplay Features

• Play Real Pool – Delight your senses with an immersive and accurate representation of the sport using motion control and real pool physics (be careful not to lean on the table, it’s not really there)
  • No Consequences – Enjoy the pleasure of throwing a bottle at your opponent or breaking one against the wall. We won’t make you clean-up in VR.
  • Customize Your Game – Choose from several variations of pool and snooker with popular rule sets, or just hang out and hit some balls in free play
  • Online and Offline Opponents – Play against the AI or with your friends globally online
  • Kill Some Time – Play VR darts while waiting for your turn at the table, change the music or just explore the bar
  • Go Crazy – Grab, stack, and smash objects in the world. Create a tower of bottles, stack ’em high and launch a pool ball at your creation
  • Enjoy a Polished VR Experience – Years of VR / AR know-how help provide a fun and comfortable VR space to hang out in with your mates from the comfort of your own home

Available on Steam for the HTC VIVE starting June 1 for $19.99 USD

Edit: should I make a new thread about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom