• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Theblu was the best thing to show family, and I enjoy it as well. I usually finish off a VR session with the jellyfish migration demo and just sit or lie on the floor admiring the view.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.androidauthority.com/bjork-htc-vive-present-worlds-first-vr-music-album-696314/

Iconic Icelandic artist Björk is collaborating with HTC to let fans experience a virtual reality interpretation of Vulnicura, Björk’s most recent studio album.

Starting at Sidney’s Vivid Festival, Björk is kicking off an 18-month world tour called Björk Digital. Attendees will be able to enjoy “bespoke” VR experiences for tracks from the critically acclaimed Vulnicura, released in January 2015. Vive VR headsets will be used to immerse users in “beautifully crafted immersive renditions” of Björk music videos created by directors like Andrew Huang or Jesse Kanda.

Vivid festivalgoers will witness the world premiere of the VR experience for Vulnicura track Notget. Here’s what they can expect:

The world premiere of Notget in VR combines high resolution 3D scans, on-location holostudio, motion capture and videogrammetry along with real-time special audio design that envelopes and embeds the user into Björk’s performance. These digital assets are blended together to create an ever evolving and changing digital form of particles, light and sound that inhabits the space with you. Vive and its room-scale VR tracking capabilities has allowed the team to create a performance piece that reacts and connects with the users as they are encouraged to explore the large physical space, creating a deep connection that only could be achieved and experienced in VR.

I see HTC pushing a lot Vive to be used beyond gaming.

Helznicht

Does it make a difference on the VIVE though?

DS9 really helps clean up the distance. Yes its still low res but it helps a lot from when i tried it. Cant run it though as I am only 970. I even doubt the 1080 can hold 45 fps with lots of traffic (let alone 90fps).

My Vive should be arriving today but I don't think I'll have time to mess with it tonight, have a Tyler, The Creator concert to go to. Hyped for tomorrow though!

TheBlu is cool, but I found Irrational Exuberance to be a better first time demo. Mostly because of how well it scales.

• Once you're in you start in total darkness which forces you to look around and explore your environment
  • Said environment is small which doesn't overwhelm you
  • Then your next instinct is to interact with it so you start playing with the rocks
  • Then you explore a little further and eventually realize you can break down the walls
  • Then you see the scale of space beyond it and the comets come flying by
If you cut out the teleports after that sequence (at least the second one) and maybe the swipe title to start (which almost everyone gets hung up on I noticed), it would be damn near perfect as a first timer demo. It slowly introduces you to scale, encourages exploration, and gives you satisfying interaction.

My buddy bought me a Vive and I finally got it hooked up last night and played The Lab. I have to say, it has completely blown away my expectations. I now understand what people meant when they said it's hard to describe. It's not like a 3D movie where it's flat with a few objects popping in and out. It really feels like you are just "there" for lack of a better term.

Reaching out and punching the balloons and having them behave like you expect was just shocking to me. It's fucking balloons and it was blowing my mind. My little sister had a grad party yesterday and I showed The Lab and Brookhaven Experiment to a few people at the party and they were just as shocked as I was. It really is a game changer.

Even gaming aside, just the possibilities of experiencing different places via a virtual visit or even sporting events/concerts will be amazing when that comes. I am just on the moon with this thing(via Apollo 11) and couldn't be happier. I imagine the headsets can/will only improve with time, I get pretty sweaty in mine, but the weight isn't an issue for me and it's pretty comfortable. I have Job Simulator, Apollo 11, Tilt Brush, Vanishing Realms, The Blu, Brookhaven, The Lab, Fantastic Contraption, Waltz of the Wizard downloaded so far. I haven't spent much time with anything other than The Lab, Apollo 11, The Blu and Brookhaven, but I'm looking forward to digging in more this weekend when I have time.

I think I'm going to refund pool nation. It didn't make a very good first impression. Controls feel to cumbersome. Performance wasn't there. Just didn't feel that good to hit the balls. Oh well.

Zalusithix

I think I'm going to refund pool nation. It didn't make a very good first impression. Controls feel to cumbersome. Performance wasn't there. Just didn't feel that good to hit the balls. Oh well.

Performance aside, I thought the controls were fairly well done. Maybe implement a few tweaks for starting hand position, but overall quite solid. I mean, it's lacking the tactile nature of actually hitting the balls, but that's the case for every game that's attempting to emulate real life.

I keep hearing about how demanding pCars is. I've got a 970. Should I steer (get it?) clear of it?

Also, how is Euro Truck Simulator 2?

What GPU and CPU are you running? The game runs buttery smooth on my 5820K and 390X, though I would imagine that's still a pretty high end system by most standards.

I keep hearing about how demanding pCars is. I've got a 970. Should I steer (get it?) clear of it?

Also, how is Euro Truck Simulator 2?

I personally would not buy it if I had a 970. You will be able to run it but it won't look at all that great given all the dials you'd have to turn down.

Performance aside, I thought the controls were fairly well done. Maybe implement a few tweaks for starting hand position, but overall quite solid. I mean, it's lacking the tactile nature of actually hitting the balls, but that's the case for every game that's attempting to emulate real life.

yeah but they could at least add a some vibration when the ball is struck. The archery games for the most part feel pretty good with the vibration.

What GPU and CPU are you running? The game runs buttery smooth on my 5820K and 390X, though I would imagine that's still a pretty high end system by most standards.

OC'd both i5 4670k/ and 970. The performance isn't horrible, but there are enough hitches/studders/judders for me to comment on it. Actually, thinking back, I think a lot of it was due to me being lazy and not moving my recliner out of my playspace. It was definelty causing some blockage of the sensors.

Sky Chief

I'm thinking of doing the same. I can see that it's a good game and I'm actually fairly good at it (just like real pool) but it's too slow for me. I got bored after just dominating in two games and went back to SPT and Holopoint.

Also, it would be great if you could pick what video stream to play on the TVs. It didn't help that the NBA Finals were on while I was playing. If I was in a real pool hall I would be watching the game the entire times between shots and that would help with the boredom.

Pyrogeek

Space Pirate Trainer - $15 - This is a quick shooting arcade like experience. And I used it a lot for demo'ing quickly in 5 minutes or less.
Holopoint - $8 - The required dodging is a plus to many people and it works up a sweat. Kinda the same genre as SPT, you can get either. Or both.
TheBlu - $10 - (Whale Encounter free via WEVR Transport program instead) The whale encounter is a good first VR experience.

Awesome recommendations. Thank you!

I'm thinking of doing the same. I can see that it's a good game and I'm actually fairly good at it (just like real pool) but it's too slow for me. I got bored after just dominating in two games and went back to SPT and Holopoint.

Also, it would be great if you could pick what video stream to play on the TVs. It didn't help that the NBA Finals were on while I was playing. If I was in a real pool hall I would be watching the game the entire times between shots and that would help with the boredom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4mayvr/psa_you_can_use_your_own_movies_on_the_tvs_in/

Korezo

Has anyone tried hooking a cable box to a elgato or something and then adding the application to steam to try launching in theater mode? Would enjoy watching sports like this.

OK guys.

My VIVE is up and running.

I find it super hard to find the good stuff.

I have:

-The Lab - Fantastic
-Project Cars - sucks in VR
-Tilt Brush - Great
-Job Simulator - Love it
-Fantastic Contraption - meh

What do I really need? I´m also up for cool videos or demos or whatever.

Other recommendations I did not see listed:

Final Approach
Distance - The latest experimental build has vive support

Okay, my Vive just came and I feel like a bit of an idiot.

In the official setup video, they show a basestation being clamped to a bookshelf. I was REALLY under the impression that such a clamp came included with the Vive. I wish this had been made clear. I'm going to have to order a clamp from Amazon, which means I won't be able to play until Monday :(

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

In the official setup video, they show a basestation being clamped to a bookshelf. I was REALLY under the impression that such a clamp came included with the Vive. I wish this had been made clear. I'm going to have to order a clamp from Amazon, which means I won't be able to play until Monday :(
Just lay the pods anywhere, even on the ground, it works just as well ;)

I requested a refund today, I just couldn't get on with it at all. It's a shame, as it's always been a dream to have my own pool table but have always lacked the space.

I have these and they work great assuming you're not attaching to something that vibrates often and easily.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GV0LW6E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

...really? Okay, I'll try that. I thought they had to be above you.

please don't place them on the floor. Place them on a book shelf or a cabinet.

marc^o^

i have both pods at less than a metter height and the tracking is flawless.

I assume placing them higher is recommended for the cases you have other people standing next to it. If it's just you, it works as intended. I've played the Vive for 3 weeks with no tracking issue.

Zalusithix

The lighthouses need to sync. They can do this both optically and by a cable. When optical they need line of sight. The only way to maintain that is by having them higher than your body. Having them high also helps with occlusion resistance to a degree. Finally, any lighthouse movement between setting up the chaperone bounds will screw with settings.

Basically, they'll "work" just laying around. Technically speaking. It's not optimal though. Doesn't hurt to try it while waiting for a better solution at any rate.

Sky Chief

Just lay the pods anywhere, even on the ground, it works just as well ;)

It works but not very well. Make sure to use the sync cable if you do this because every time you stand between the lighthouses you will obstruct their views of each other and you will lose tracking.

marc^o^

It works but not very well. Make sure to use the sync cable if you do this because every time you stand between the lighthouses you will obstruct their views of each other and you will lose tracking.
I would have done it, had I lost tracking. So far, so good.

Trouble

Banned
ETS2 has frame pacing issues regardless of GPU, so unless you already love the game you shouldn't get it specifically for VR

I really love ETS2/ATS cockpit view in VR. Driving around listening to BBC or NPR radio streams is super relaxing. I hope they give some love to them, because they could go from serviceable to amazing.

Grrr, now one of my controllers is refusing to turn green. It turns blue, stays there, then eventually turns off again. :(

Edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, just had to pair it manually.

Zalusithix

Grrr, now one of my controllers is refusing to turn green. It turns blue, stays there, then eventually turns off again. :(

Edit: Nvm I'm an idiot, just had to pair it manually.

Only one of mine paired automatically out of the box. I found that rather odd. Scratch that. I found it rather worrying. Now I find it odd. Honestly thought it was broke before I did a manual pairing. I mean, if neither paired out of the box, there would have been an immediate assumption of "hey we need to configure these". However, with one pairing just fine, and the other turning on and off... Was disconcerting to say the least.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Only one of mine paired automatically out of the box. I found that rather odd. Scratch that. I found it rather worrying. Now I find it odd. Honestly thought it was broke before I did a manual pairing. I mean, if neither paired out of the box, there would have been an immediate assumption of "hey we need to configure these". However, with one pairing just fine, and the other turning on and off... Was disconcerting to say the least.

It happened to me too. One controller was not paired out of the box and there was also a firmware update waiting and in the end I had to connect it via USB to update it and I paired it and it worked.

For some reason, whenever I start a VR game, my main monitor goes black. Has this happened to anyone else?

Edit: Fixed by swapping the HDMI ports used for my monitor and Vive.

d00d3n

My buddy bought me a Vive and I finally got it hooked up last night and played The Lab. I have to say, it has completely blown away my expectations. I now understand what people meant when they said it's hard to describe. It's not like a 3D movie where it's flat with a few objects popping in and out. It really feels like you are just "there" for lack of a better term.

Yeah, I just played all the demos in "The Lab" in one sitting as my first VR experience. It has to be the most mind-blowing thing I have experienced in gaming in a good couple of years. My small play area (2x2) was much less of an issue than I imagined due to the fantastic teleportation mechanic. Once you understand that direction is maintained after a teleport it becomes really intuitive to use. It seems like adventure/exploration games would work really well with the system.

d00d3n

After installing the HTC Vive all analog audio from my PC is rerouted to its line out, even when it is turned off. Anyone else who had this issue?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
After installing the HTC Vive all analog audio from my PC is rerouted to its line out, even when it is turned off. Anyone else who had this issue?
Yes, I do. No idea how to solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom