• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samaritan

Anyone who's played Fallout 4 and visited the Corvega Assembly Plant is probably wondering how the hell this'll work without being a vomit machine. That said, looking forward to it!

Wallach

Anyone who's played Fallout 4 and visited the Corvega Assembly Plant is probably wondering how the hell this'll work without being a vomit machine. That said, looking forward to it!

Well, even framerate questions aside (maybe it will lead to the framerate physics bug being fixed finally?), I don't even really know how you allow players to explore such a large space comfortably without teleportation. I'm interested to see how they are handling that.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is huge.

Thinking I may actually get a 1080 Ti instead of a 1080FTW.

Games like Fallout 4 and Doom will require massive amounts of Performence to keep looking great while playing in VR.

And I'm 100% cool with that.

kinggroin

Banned
You could do traditional controls and room scale just fine. Make F4 VR avatar a humanoid with a minimal hud. Having that static helmet or whatnot will mitigate movement sickness.

Seriously.

Zalusithix

I thought there were no Vive exclusives? Will this be just on SteamVR meaning it'll work on Oculus?

Should run, but how much work Bethesda will put into actively supporting the Rift's controller layout is anybody's guess. Granted, even if they're petty and put zero effort into it, somebody will do the work for them. It is the PC after all.

Trouble

Banned
They better not make a separate 'game' for Fallout 4 VR or make it bullshit paid DLC like Ethan Carter.

That said, I'm excited.

Paganmoon

Well... that was surprising news to wake up to. Did they show anything from Doom and Fallout 4 in VR or just announced?

Remember Bioshock Vita was also "announced" guys.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is huge.

Thinking I may actually get a 1080 Ti instead of a 1080FTW.

Games like Fallout 4 and Doom will require massive amounts of Performence to keep looking great while playing in VR.

And I'm 100% cool with that.

Doom on a 1080 gets nearly 200 FPS at ultra in 1080p. It'll be fine :)

Wallach

oh, wow, great, hope to get impressions soon then. curious if it's Fallout 4, or just a standalone mini game. and if it's full fallout 4 how they handle locomotion, Hell, how they handle everything.

Howard indicated that they didn't want to do anything less than the full game in VR. I'm mostly curious about how combat works. Wonder if we will get any videos of this out of E3.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why 2017 release then. Optimizations? Only parts of game are ready?

I just want it.

My guess is waiting for an install base.

Release it now and you only sell to the few people that have both a vive and 980ti or better, and everyone will forget about it come 2017 when more people have vives and better graphics cards.

Alternatively, maybe they're making major changes that need to be tested and tweaked throughout the entire game, but feel ok with showing press a potentially buggy version restricted to a limited portion of the game.

SomTervo

Doom VR and FO4... Wut

Fallout 4 is perfect for it, but I'm not sure how well Doom will work. Surely that's all fast movement and spinning? Even with plenty of reference points that would be nasty? Perhaps they could do something clever like frame your viewport within a helmet window, like top-left-bottom for your left eye and top-right-bottom for your right eye so your brain has a point of reference, like a cockpit in a car?

ya he throws out the teleport location on an arc with a limited range higher you aim the greater the arc so he's limited the distance effectively for how far you and set your self to walk to.
once you click that spot you start walking slowly towards it but your free to turn around and face any direction..and your free to interrupt the walk by pointing it to a new spot.

compared to the push forward and hold on the gamepad method which then lets you steer by turning your head that Solus seems to use and I think Ethan Carter does the same..i find the point to walk arc less disorienting...maybe its just the default is slow but its a cool locomotion method without port hopping

for the most part when your moving it feels like your legs are walking towards something and your free to twist around and face any direction and shoot while your walking to that spot

Yeah thought so. Looks awesome.

Flagged it up to the Solus boss who seemed pretty nonplussed about it. Think he's pretty knackered ATM after busting balls to entirely fix the Vive implementation in three days :p

Still, I think it's a great solution. Sent them the video for attention.

Paganmoon

Howard indicated that they didn't want to do anything less than the full game in VR. I'm mostly curious about how combat works. Wonder if we will get any videos of this out of E3.

There should be videos out already, damnit, where are they?! I want to see that it's real!

Are anyone else having problems with floor calibration? I have tried calibrating floor height several times, but my next session, if I put the controllers on the floor, they will either float an inch or so above the floor or the same distance below. Above is the most common though. Should I just try adjusting my lighthouses until it magically works, or do anyone have any concrete tips?

aaaaa0

Are anyone else having problems with floor calibration? I have tried calibrating floor height several times, but my next session, if I put the controllers on the floor, they will either float an inch or so above the floor or the same distance below. Above is the most common though. Should I just try adjusting my lighthouses until it magically works, or do anyone have any concrete tips?

What solved it for me was:

1. Exit Steam and Steam VR completely.
2. Right click on the Steam icon, and select "Run as Administrator"
3. Launch SteamVR from the new instance of Steam.
4. Run Room Setup.
5. Exit out of Steam VR and Steam which are running as Administrator.
6. Rerun Steam and SteamVR normally.

There seems to be some bug in SteamVR where it is silently failing to save settings because it is not running as admin, and the permissions on its settings are set wrong so a non-admin user can't change them.

I just received a shipping notice from Scan for my Vive! The email says it will be arriving today, but I'm a bit suspicious. If it manages to arrive today I will be well chuffed.

UnrealEck

I really hope there's something more to Fallout 4's VR than just a keyboard and mouse/control pad scheme. It's a game that can work with the wands and room-scale because of VATS too.

I can't imagine what they can do with DOOM though.

I just received a shipping notice from Scan for my Vive! The email says it will be arriving today, but I'm a bit suspicious. If it manages to arrive today I will be well chuffed.

Get ready to mount the Lighthouses because that's potentially the longest part.
The raw plugs it came with were too long for my walls and driving them in as far as they could go would hit brick. I had to get others.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I really hope there's something more to Fallout 4's VR than just a keyboard and mouse/control pad scheme. It's a game that can work with the wands and room-scale because of VATS too.

I can't imagine what they can do with DOOM though.

There are already hands-on with the early demo for Fallout 4 VR, it uses motion controls and room-scale already.

DOOM is just and VR experience, not the actual game in VR.

I'm still amazed we're getting actual Fallout 4 VR support. So exciting, it's a pity they're not adding it to the Skyrim remaster.

I'm pretty excited about what more we might have seen announced for PC VR by the end of E3. I guess Ubisoft might make some announcements as well?

Get ready to mount the Lighthouses because that's potentially the longest part.
The raw plugs it came with were too long for my walls and driving them in as far as they could go would hit brick. I had to get others.

Ah, that's annoying. The walls in my room are so stupidly difficult to drill through at the best of times. Do you think I could get away with putting the lighthouses on some shelves (on opposite sides of the room)?

Ah, that's annoying. The walls in my room are so stupidly difficult to drill through at the best of times. Do you think I could get away with putting the lighthouses on some shelves (on opposite sides of the room)?

Depending on how high and stable the shelves, yes. I have joby action clamps that I use to mount to a book shelf and angle the base station down at 35 degrees

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GV0LW6E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Mikeside

Why 2017 release then. Optimizations? Only parts of game are ready?

I just want it.

probably because it's a bit of a tech demo right now

I imagine they'll spend a long time seeing how far they can push different things and how many ways they can use VR in the games before they release

At the end of the day, they'll be doing this as research for fully enabled from launch VR games in the future, so it makes sense to iterate and see what comes out. No sense rushing it

I think they're doing teleport+motion controllers based on impressions I read in the other thread. Otherwise they could have released it already since no work would have gone into the adaptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom