• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samaritan

Well, even framerate questions aside (maybe it will lead to the framerate physics bug being fixed finally?), I don't even really know how you allow players to explore such a large space comfortably without teleportation. I'm interested to see how they are handling that.

Yeah, that's really the exciting part about all this, right? How is Bethesda going to make navigation work in an open-world. We could potentially see an experimental movement system instead of just the refactor teleport mechanic and that's very exciting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pool Nation is so good, yet something is off about it. It looks great and the motion for taking shots feels good too. But the aiming is just weird. You're going through the motions of how you'd aim in real life, but really you're just watching the ghost ball and checking the dot on the cue ball is roughly in the right place. Your left hand floating in space is just wrong.

Has anyone tried it with a surface to rest your hand on - does it make a big difference?

Paulee

So since yesterday everytime I try starting a game like audioshield , steam vr just shuts down and with it the game an the headset.
I tried reinstalling steam vr but it didnot help .
Has anybody had the same problem or an idea what to do ?

Karak

Bethesda did not allow camera equipment at their venue if I remember correctly.

Correct completely shut down everything in that regard

So since yesterday everytime I try starting a game like audioshield , steam vr just shuts down and with it the game an the headset.
I tried reinstalling steam vr but it didnot help .
Has anybody had the same problem or an idea what to do ?

in Steam shortcuts turn off the theatre mode and the other option above it and play with those 2 in combination? Also make sure your headset is in direct mode.

Left-Hand Path should be releasing in early access next week. Looks cool, but I can see it going either way.

xhoxUnP.jpg

Dark Souls-inspired Room-Scale Virtual Reality RPG where you hold the power of magic in your hands. Learn arcane gestures to cast powerful spells. Battle fearsome foes who give no quarter, and find your way through a weird, magical landscape.

Serious Sam VR!

Early access in Summer. VIve and Rift, but uses motion controllers. Sweet! No movement, looks like it's forward facing like Space Pirate Trainer.

Durante

So this is how Bethesda is getting me to buy Fallout 4.

Left-Hand Path should be releasing in early access next week. Looks cool, but I can see it going either way.
Sounds intriguing, but as you say it could go either way.

FWIW, a gesture-controlled dungeon crawler with a focus on magic was one of my initial 3 room-scale-VR-game-with-tracked-controller ideas that I thought would work reall well and take advantage of the platform.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Pool Nation is so good, yet something is off about it. It looks great and the motion for taking shots feels good too. But the aiming is just weird. You're going through the motions of how you'd aim in real life, but really you're just watching the ghost ball and checking the dot on the cue ball is roughly in the right place. Your left hand floating in space is just wrong.

Has anyone tried it with a surface to rest your hand on - does it make a big difference?

i use a cane in my front hand to keep it steady and so far it works ok
2 issues are 1. the floor height isn't consistent so i always have to adjust 2. the back grip hand is tucked tomuch into your side and this leads to tracking issues when they fix so you can hold it farther back on the stick that back hand will be behind your body and better exposed

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Elaboration here? The floor of your real life play space isn't completely flat, or the game isn't mapping the virtual floor totally level with the real floor?

in the game you can raise or lower the height of the floor so the table height moves up or down with it.
However eversession it resets so you constantly need to readjust..once they fix calibrating your table height and it saves to your profile i'm sure it will be better

bj00rn_

Banned
What AA you on in Pcars now?

I think I'm using the lowest AA setting right now. PCars is extremely demanding, and even the GTX1080 is struggling. So I use low settings in general. But without reprojection, at native 90Hz the image appears to be a lot clearer!

I turned off reprojection, turned on the frame drop notification in the Steam VR settings, and then tried different tracks, visuals, number of cars etc. It's hard to find the best scenario, because you need to restart the game for every graphic tweak, and every track has "that spot" which provokes framedrops.. Spa is impossible!

Oh, and a tip for everyone; PCars look extremely overexposed/washed out in the Vive at times. But go to the "Exposure Compensation" in the visuals setting and turn it down to "70" or something, that'll fix it.

After testing I found out that reprojection/timewarp is even worse than I imagined.. It kills IQ and steal presence. A little bit of async timewarp would help as a band aid for some light drops, but believe that developers is key to smooth out the difference between the highs and lows to ensure a somewhat stable power curve at native framerate.

Might just be a mistake. If it's Touch exclusive, I wouldn't expect it to even have a listing on Steam. Usually the Oculus buyouts result in a Oculus Home only situation.

95% sure it showed the Vive logo on the store page not too long ago so I believe that was removed as well. I don't think I would have put it on my wishlist if it hadn't.

EDIT: Clarification from devs. Timed exclusive.

@avdevuk we'll be launching on Oculus Touch first, and other platforms afterward

xanavi

The fuck? My Vive just arrived but they never sent me a shipping notification so I had no idea it was on the way.

It's a bit scary that it says HTC Vive right on the label.

Durante

The fuck? My Vive just arrived but they never sent me a shipping notification so I had no idea it was on the way.

It's a bit scary that it says HTC Vive right on the label.
Heh, for me the same thing happened with Rift.

There are worse surprises.

So for the past couple weeks I've been using my Vive with a GTX 970. It generally worked well, but I could definitely tell that most (if not all) games were stuttering, and largely for this reason I just got a 1070. I'd expected all the stutter to go away.

The weird thing is, the stutter isn't gone, or even improved as far as I can tell. It's not just my imagination either, SteamVR shows a ton of dropped frames.

What's going on?

Compsiox

Banned
So for the past couple weeks I've been using my Vive with a GTX 970. It generally worked well, but I could definitely tell that most (if not all) gamers were stuttering, and largely for this reason I just got a 1070.

The weird thing is... the stutter isn't gone, or even improved as far as I can tell. It's not just my imagination either, SteamVR shows a ton of dropped frames.

What's going on?

Free Vive

Are you talking about native VR games/experiences in general?

Yeah.

Like, the first thing I did when I got my 1070 (after installing drivers and stuff) was fire up The Blu, and it was still getting noticeable framerate drops. Same thing in Lucky's Tale.

Performance in non-VR games has improved a ton, so my card is working.

Edit: AND I have an i6-6600K @ 4.4Ghz, so my cpu shouldn't be causing dips either.

Zalusithix

So for the past couple weeks I've been using my Vive with a GTX 970. It generally worked well, but I could definitely tell that most (if not all) gamers were stuttering, and largely for this reason I just got a 1070. I'd expected all the stutter to go away.

The weird thing is, the stutter isn't gone, or even improved as far as I can tell. It's not just my imagination either, SteamVR shows a ton of dropped frames.

What's going on?
CPU limited?
Edit: Never mind. Not that.

So for the past couple weeks I've been using my Vive with a GTX 970. It generally worked well, but I could definitely tell that most (if not all) gamers were stuttering, and largely for this reason I just got a 1070. I'd expected all the stutter to go away.

What's going on?

Weak CPU.
USB chipset is slow/weak (switch to USB 2.0, just to be sure)
Dont launch game thru the SteamVR interface (while using the vive)

Yeah.

Like, the first thing I did when I got my 1070 (after installing drivers and stuff) was fire up The Blu, and it was still getting noticeable framerate drops. Same thing in Lucky's Tale.

Performance in non-VR games has improved a ton, so my card is working.

Edit: AND I have an i6-6600K @ 4.4Ghz, so my cpu shouldn't be causing dips either.

I read someone on reddit having an issue like this a while back. They claimed they solved it by connecting to the USB2 instead of USB3 port on their moderboard.

Urishizu

Just chiming in here since getting my Vive. Awesome experience. I picked up the Avantree Audition Pro bluetooth headphones since the cable was driving me nuts. They seem to support low latency and in games timing sounded fine so far. Just a heads up if anyone is using a bluetooth headset, go into device manager and DISABLE wireless telephony. If it's enabled, the headphones take a huge quality hit on audio.

Hover Junker, HordeZ and Audioshield have been fantastic so far. Enjoying the experience immensely.

Onemic

Just chiming in here since getting my Vive. Awesome experience. I picked up the Avantree Audition Pro bluetooth headphones since the cable was driving me nuts. They seem to support low latency and in games timing sounded fine so far. Just a heads up if anyone is using a bluetooth headset, go into device manager and DISABLE wireless telephony. If it's enabled, the headphones take a huge quality hit on audio.

Hover Junker, HordeZ and Audioshield have been fantastic so far. Enjoying the experience immensely.

Hows HordeZ?

Urishizu

Hows HordeZ?

It was a pretty polished shooter. Instead of being stationary, the game slowly moves you through the dungeon area. Has a few different levels, different monsters, etc... All of your guns share the same pool of ammo and have different attributes (i.e. pistol is single shot but powerful and has a flashlight, assault rifle fires fast and has a laser sight). The game is fairly shallow, monsters rush you and you shoot them. You can move around a little and you use a special gravity gun to pick up ammo.

Production values and graphics are fairly good. It's just good fun though fighting off the monsters from multiple directions. It's interesting when you have to fire in two separate directions, one of which you can't see so you're just blind firing. Guns look cool.

Overall, I don't regret the purchase. It apparently has co-op or something too, but I've never found a network game.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
People who bought the oculus chair are fucking over the future of VR with their money. Its depressing what that sellout, and his device, have become, and what Facebook is doing to this fledgling industry.

I cant belive Carmack went along with this crap.

Its not just exclusive games either, Oculus seems to still have nothing but contempt for room scale. But hey, get excited for your likely $300+ peripheral controllers for our niche display tech.

Ugh, sorry, just a Lil frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom