• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Got a project update for the Muv-Luv Kickstarter, and interestingly enough, there was the mentioning of a free VR "demo". The actual experience - if you can even call it that - is rather garbage, but thankfully short. Only reason I even mentioned it is that it ends with the ability to teleport around a TSF. Not super fancy or anything, but it's the only scaled mecha VR viewer I know of. Might be worth the jaunt through for anybody with an interest in anime/mecha stuff.

Zalusithix

New SteamVR beta update:
Enabled preliminary support for stereoscopic screenshots in SteamVR. They are taken by holding down the System button and pulling the Trigger on the SteamVR controller. Screenshots can be viewed in the SteamVR dashboard by selecting the application and choosing the screenshots panel. Sharing screenshots by uploading them Steam Community currently only shares the normal 2D image. Sharing of stereoscopic images will be forthcoming.
This'll be great once everything is up and running. Being able to easily grab and share stereoscopic screenshots will be a huge boon to the community.

They also did another round of lighthouse bluetooth communication improvements for anybody still having issues with that.

Gattsu25

Banned
Audioshield is fucking legit.

Goddamn

New SteamVR beta update:

This'll be great once everything is up and running. Being able to easily grab and share stereoscopic screenshots will be a huge boon to the community.

They also did another round of lighthouse bluetooth communication improvements for anybody still having issues with that.

Thanks for the headup

Zalusithix

Looks the stereoscopic screenshots are stored as a SBS image with an odd resolution of 2098x1048. That's neither the default target render, nor the native panel resolution. Also a bar at the bottom that I don't remember seeing in the SteamVR viewer. *shrugs* I guess it doesn't really have to be high resolution or anything as the viewer displays it relatively small within SteamVR. Smaller than I was expecting at least.
vLC63Ih.jpg
(Sorry, nothing interesting to look at. Using it while playing would be suicide, and pausing ruins my flow. Just uploading it as an example. It's too late for me to be bothered with getting anything decent.)

Finally got around to trying Battle Dome and it's actually pretty fun. Mechanically it's a team based competitive multiplayer shooter with a number of modes. Movement is done by teleporting (with a cooldown) but the interesting thing about it though is it takes some inspiration from Splatoon in that you can only teleport to areas you've painted. So there's an interesting tradeoff between choosing to dual wield with a paint gun in one hand and a single handed weapon in the other, or going full offense with a more capable two handed gun. You can see how teamwork would come in to play with that. There's a decent variety of weapons too including a sword and shield. It's still pretty early, not exactly a looker, and catching others online to fill up a game is tough right now, but when you do it's a good time.

Sure, I'll be testing a lot of games with DolphinVR, so I'll try it and get back to you.

Mario 64 in Dolphin VR definitely worked for me in the DK2 days.

F-Zero X did not, but I think that was a Dolphin issue more than a VR implementation issue.

Awesome :D thanks for the quick replies.

Finally got around to trying Battle Dome and it's actually pretty fun. Mechanically it's a team based competitive multiplayer shooter with a number of modes. Movement is done by teleporting (with a cooldown) but the interesting thing about it though is it takes some inspiration from Splatoon in that you can only teleport to areas you've painted. So there's an interesting tradeoff between choosing to dual wield with a paint gun in one hand and a single handed weapon in the other, or going full offense with a more capable two handed gun. You can see how teamwork would come in to play with that. There's a decent variety of weapons too including a sword and shield. It's still pretty early, not exactly a looker, and catching others online to fill up a game is tough right now, but when you do it's a good time.

I don't have Battle Dome yet, but I plan to pick up a few new games during the Summer Sale so if there's even a small price break on it then I'll pick it up at the same time.

I'd love to get some games together with people on Gaf so if anyone else picks it up during the sale let us know so we can coordinate :D

Something he said makes it seem like MS will go with the vive instead of rift?

Yes. Jeff asked him directly if he could plug his Rift into a Scorpio, and Phil responded that Walled Gardens are bad for VR, taking a direct shot at Oculus, and then, he talked up Microsoft's growing relationship with Valve. He also mentioned that he spent a lot of time with HTC and Valve at Computex.

At the very least, I'm guessing Phil wants to support the Vive and Rift on Scorpio. However, given Oculus' track record, I'm not sure that will happen.

I thought the opposite from what he said. Seems like Oculus is what they would go for. Also seems that way when bringing Carmack along for some demos

I don't know how you can listen to that convo and think that at all. It was basically a Valve-MS love-in for 15 minutes.

On a fundamental level, Phil's core ideology about VR openness does not jibe with going Oculus only. Like I said, at best, you can walk away from that convo thinking he wants to support everything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes. Jeff asked him directly if he could plug his Rift into a Scorpio, and Phil responded that Walled Gardens are bad for VR, taking a direct shot at Oculus, and then, he talked up Microsoft's growing relationship with Valve. He also mentioned that he spent a lot of time with HTC and Valve at Computex.

At the very least, I'm guessing Phil wants to support the Vive and Rift on Scorpio. However, given Oculus' track record, I'm not sure that will happen.

I figured the walled garden was a jab at Sony. But he did give some love to valve. I'm not sure if they have anything set in that regard yet

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think with MS adding Vive support to Windows Holographic and including the Vive @ computex 2016 and articles like this one that say we'll see more MS titles on Steam in the future
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/microsoft-will-use-steam-to-sell-windows-games-not-just-its-own-store/

and now the comments on the Bombcast I think theres a very high chance the Vive will be usable with Scorpio.

Plus Gaben's comments on reddit saying they are working to not be the gatekeeper and to allow a more direct communications between the publishers and the customers seems like positioning to enable this kind of partnership
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4o2b3c/i_emailed_gabe_newell_to_ask_him_what_we_can_do/

I figured the walled garden was a jab at Sony. But he did give some love to valve. I'm not sure if they have anything set in that regard yet

The context of that comment was definitely about supporting the Rift, in particular. Sony wasn't mentioned much, and the "walled garden" has pretty much become synonymous with Oculus as of late.

However, even if it was aimed at Sony, that still supports my comment that MS is interested in supporting as many HMD's as possible, rather than going Oculus only.

Compsiox

Banned

Also Vive is definitely getting support. Bethseda inferred that their VR games will be coming to Scorpio and they only support the HTC Vive because they have a lawsuit with Oculus.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Valve offers VR devs funding with no strings attached and no exclusive deals.

http://www.vg247.com/2016/06/17/val...rs-funding-to-avoid-platform-exclusive-deals/

This really is amazing news. I hope it helps assist devs that feel that have no choice but to take exclusivity.
I'm not really that bothered by timed exclusives for funding,typically i don't buy games for the first 6months anyways since I'm not concerned with multiplayer.

But this options for devs to encourage them to develop for VR with no strings attached, the freedom to develop for whatever platforms they like and they just payback the advance from their sales overtime...really great.

Out of Ammo is about to get a new mode. Price will increase a bit when it drops so if you haven't, you might want to pick it up now. I'd definitely recommend it. Co-op might make it in to the update after that too.

New: Overwatch Mode

• Protect your squad of 6 from enemy onslaught from an overlooking clock tower. Units will be extracted one by one. Save them all to successfully complete the mission.
  • New teleport mechanic for navigating in first person in missions. Left trackpad to activate.
  • Projectile speeds significantly increased for this mode.
  • In-game radio that can be re-positioned or smashed to mute.
  • Weapon switching mechanic; Intersect your weapon with the one you want to switch to.

5k99ZdN.gif

1VoygT9.gif

Downloaded and played Battledome last night.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/484870/

Great game. My new favourite online shooter. It's early access so a bit bare bones at the moment...but even with only 2 maps, I'm loving it more than hover Junkers.
It's a a bit like splatoon, in that you must "paint" the floor with one gun, and shoot people with your other gun. You can only travel/teleport to places you've painted. You have to get to the other teams base to destroy their core.
Some great tactics to be played.

Recommended.

Windows Defender just marked Revive injector as malware.

Oh ffs. I'm sure this was well-intentioned (ie I'm sure they're not doing it to help Oculus or anything) but it's going to make my life annoying. When Windows decides something is a virus, it REALLY doesn't like being told otherwise.

Saganator

Downloaded and played Battledome last night.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/484870/

Great game. My new favourite online shooter. It's early access so a bit bare bones at the moment...but even with only 2 maps, I'm loving it more than hover Junkers.
It's a a bit like splatoon, in that you must "paint" the floor with one gun, and shoot people with your other gun. You can only travel/teleport to places you've painted. You have to get to the other teams base to destroy their core.
Some great tactics to be played.

Recommended.

Came to thread to ask opinions on this game, thanks!

I want to get Battle Dome or Pool Nation VR, hesitant on Battle Dome, worried it'll be hard to find a game when I want to play. How many games are there going right now? (Saturday afternoon)

Does SLI work with the Vive? I'm getting mine next week and might have 2 1080's to use them with it.

Is there any list of that kind of compatibility??

I want to get Battle Dome or Pool Nation VR, hesitant on Battle Dome, worried it'll be hard to find a game when I want to play. How many games are there going right now? (Saturday afternoon)

Haven't checked Battle Dome today. Usually there's not many, but the game itself has been getting a LOT of recommendations on Reddit lately. I think it's going to get easier and easier to find one especially as the game gets updated.

If you can stretch your budget...get both.
They're both great games. Pool Nation is a great social game, as well as a great pool game. The physics are spot on.

I read a glowing eulogy on Reddit about Battledome, and it's the reason I bought ithttps://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4oemrn/we_have_our_killer_app_battledome_is_everything/. I am not disappointed.
They did warn about the fact that as a new game there may be some empty rooms...but there were 2 full lobby's when I played last night(would have been afternoon in the States). It's early access so wait a bit if you are not sure. (Pool is more polished)
I loved it though, and don't regret my purchase. Great fun.

EDIT:
Added link.

Saganator

If you can stretch your budget...get both.
They're both great games. Pool Nation is a great social game, as well as a great pool game. The physics are spot on.

I read a glowing eulogy on Reddit about Battledome, and it's the reason I bought ithttps://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4oemrn/we_have_our_killer_app_battledome_is_everything/. I am not disappointed.
They did warn about the fact that as a new game there may be some empty rooms...but there were 2 full lobby's when I played last night(would have been afternoon in the States). It's early access so wait a bit if you are not sure. (Pool is more polished)
I loved it though, and don't regret my purchase. Great fun.

EDIT:
Added link.

I got both :) They're both very good, I'm currently having issues with my VIVE tracking so I put it down to get it figured out.

I screwed up and put my lighthouse stations at about 7.5ft instead of the recommended 6.5ft. I seem to have the most issues while looking down so I hope moving them lower will fix it.

I don't like that teleporting mechanic I've seen used in a few VR games. They should handle movement the same way Wizard Academy VR for Andriod handles movement. It's setup so that you just move in place to mimic moving in game. It works pretty well.

Ziploc

Neo Member
I've had a weird problem I've been battling for a friggin WEEK.

I plugged a TV into my GPU because I thought "Hey I could mirror the display so guests could see what was going on better!"

Now ever since:

If I go into SteamVR it boots like normal doesn't drop any frames. And tracks only semi reliably. Ok fine.

I sync a controller and press the steam button. The overlay causes tracking to lag huge. SteamVR still doesn't report dropped frames. Instantly nauseating.

Press the SteamVR desktop button. Even more tracking lag. Sometimes greying out. Still no dropped frames reported. some CPU cores at 30-50%

Launch a game. Tracking degrades even further. Unplayable. Still not reporting any dropped frames.

Things I've done:
Restart
Remove TV.
Restart.
Update GPU drivers.
Restart
Double check GPU power settings.
Restart
Double check GPU clock speed.
Restart
Double check CPU power settings.
Restart
Turn off camera.
Restart
Try 3 USB ports.
Restart
Unplug and replug everything HTC related.
Restart
Rollback GPU drivers.
Restart

This setup has been rock solid for MONTHS. And in between booting the PC and launching SteamVR I plugged in a TV and told the OS to mirror. I can't say for sure if there was a SteamVR update that broke my shit or what. SteamVR beta preforms better, but still a far cry from how stable and awesome it was before.

Other games run completely normally outside of the VRs.

4790K, GTX970, 16gb, SSD.

I don't mind re-installing my OS. But for the love of God I want to know what is causing this so I don't have to live in fear not knowing if plugging in another display will fuck my shit up irreparably.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've had a weird problem I've been battling for a friggin WEEK.

I plugged a TV into my GPU because I thought "Hey I could mirror the display so guests could see what was going on better!"

Now ever since:

If I go into SteamVR it boots like normal doesn't drop any frames. And tracks only semi reliably. Ok fine.

I sync a controller and press the steam button. The overlay causes tracking to lag huge. SteamVR still doesn't report dropped frames. Instantly nauseating.

Press the SteamVR desktop button. Even more tracking lag. Sometimes greying out. Still no dropped frames reported. some CPU cores at 30-50%

Launch a game. Tracking degrades even further. Unplayable. Still not reporting any dropped frames.

Things I've done:
Restart
Remove TV.
Restart.
Update GPU drivers.
Restart
Double check GPU power settings.
Restart
Double check GPU clock speed.
Restart
Double check CPU power settings.
Restart
Turn off camera.
Restart
Try 3 USB ports.
Restart
Unplug and replug everything HTC related.
Restart
Rollback GPU drivers.
Restart

This setup has been rock solid for MONTHS. And in between booting the PC and launching SteamVR I plugged in a TV and told the OS to mirror. I can't say for sure if there was a SteamVR update that broke my shit or what. SteamVR beta preforms better, but still a far cry from how stable and awesome it was before.

Other games run completely normally outside of the VRs.

4790K, GTX970, 16gb, SSD.

I don't mind re-installing my OS. But for the love of God I want to know what is causing this so I don't have to live in fear not knowing if plugging in another display will fuck my shit up irreparably.

make sure you don't have some kind of vsync forced on for the tv display by default
I recall someone mentioned some kinda of vsysnc setting causing something similar

deadfolk

I'm wondering if I should pick up a pair of wireless headphones, as there are just too many wires for me right now.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend more than ~€120 or equivalent, and a built-in mic would also be handy.

Onemic

House of the Dying Sun is so good. It's the first fully fleshed out VR game that I've played so far and one of the few VR games I constantly wanna come back to other than Holopoint and Holoball. It's a real shame that they didnt prioritize HOTAS support at all because the game clearly benefits from it. Luckily it recognizes my HOTAS X and I can manually configure it in game, though it wouldve been much less of a hassle if the devs actually threw in some support and had some pre-configs already set up.

I tried Solus Project in VR, but that game still needs a lot of work IMO. Artificial locomotion isnt implemented well, as you should have to press down on the touch pad in order to move forward and backward instead of just touching the pad. Considering I(and I would assume a lot of other people) rest their thumbs relatively close to the touch pad, it leads to a lot of unforeseen movement which becomes pretty jarring to say the least. I quit before I left the starting area.

Elite Dangerous is really good as well, though since I dont know what to actually do in the game, I didnt really play for more than 10 minutes.

I don't like that teleporting mechanic I've seen used in a few VR games. They should handle movement the same way Wizard Academy VR for Andriod handles movement. It's setup so that you just move in place to mimic moving in game. It works pretty well.

Though I think it would make sense for some scenarios, I really don't want to have to run/walk in place just to move. Teleporting isn't the perfect solution, but I think it's the best we have as a "standard" for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom