• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Finally got around to printing out a cable belt clip. Had been just looping the cable through a belt loop up to this point. While that works to eliminate 99% of the pull on the headset, it offsets the cable to the side, and keeps the cable from sitting completely flat on the head strap. Always wants to twist a bit. With the clip, there's zero pull, is perfectly centered, and the cable lays flat. It's somewhat baffling they never included something like that to begin with. Makes the cord handling experience so much better.
pv44cr1.jpg
ZaZyLtD.jpg
xDn7156.jpg

Haines

Banned
Is the biggest area a Vive can go 3 x 3 metres.

Want to make sure I have the maximum room.

Considering setting up a VR room.

Is the biggest area a Vive can go 3 x 3 metres.

Want to make sure I have the maximum room.

Considering setting up a VR room.

It can go bigger, but then you need to think about how to make the cable reach. But tracking should work fine on significantly larger areas.

Finally got around to printing out a cable belt clip. Had been just looping the cable through a belt loop up to this point. While that works to eliminate 99% of the pull on the headset, it offsets the cable to the side, and keeps the cable from sitting completely flat on the head strap. Always wants to twist a bit. With the clip, there's zero pull, is perfectly centered, and the cable lays flat. It's somewhat baffling they never included something like that to begin with. Makes the cord handling experience so much better.

I want ooooone.

I could print one out and mail it to you for a few bucks to cover postage assuming you're within the US. The actual material cost is next to nothing.

Do you do international shipping? UK here.

That looks perfect. Especially for physically taxing games!

Would cover all your costs plus a drink :)

SimplexPL

That belt thingy looks awesome. Perhaps you could ship a dozen of them to someone in Europe (who would cover all costs) and then that person could ship them individually within Europe? It should be cheaper than multiple packages from the US (and also more convenient for you as you' d only make one big package).

So today I discovered that my sister is naturally talented at archery. She made it to wave six in longbow on her first ever try. I was congratulating her afterwards and she didn't understand what the big deal was.

I know it's been said already, but it really a shame that there aren't any other VR games as polished as The Lab.

RedRum

Banned
I just bought a new computer for Vive just yesterday. Two things I'm concerned with:

A) Enough games. Should I wait?
B) The cords that go from the headset to the computer. What is the length?

Zalusithix

Do you do international shipping? UK here.

That looks perfect. Especially for physically taxing games!

Would cover all your costs plus a drink :)

That belt thingy looks awesome. Perhaps you could ship a dozen of them to someone in Europe (who would cover all costs) and then that person could ship them individually within Europe? It should be cheaper than multiple packages from the US (and also more convenient for you as you' d only make one big package).

Given that the models are free to download, for overseas it might make more sense to use a 3D printing service located within the country. Or at least one on that side of the ocean. I can't say I've looked into options in Europe, but given that the cost of the materials is well under a buck, I can't imagine a local service wouldn't come out on top. I mean, doing a quick postal service check, it's $13+ to send a small package to the UK for instance. That's ~30 times more than the actual material costs, and results in a rather expensive clip. Especially for a thermoplastic one printed on a hobbyist grade machine. The print durability wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) match up to a professional service.

Bulk shipment to one person would reduce the cost per unit, but I'm not exactly set up for mass production. It takes about an hour per clip on my printer, so printing out a dozen at once would result in a 12+ hour long print. The longer a print job goes on, the higher the chance of failure due to something going wrong. If it messes up for any reason mid print, the entire thing needs to be scrapped and restarted. Printing one out at a time has its own set of drawbacks.

So yeah, probably best to look into local options first, or even professional options on this side of the pond shipping in bulk to over there. I don't mind being a worst case fallback for a limited number of people, but I'd rather people get something worth what they paid when we start getting into that territory.

And on that note, for anybody that is thinking about getting fancy and printing it out in metal or some other super rigid material using Shapeways or the likes, don't. They designed the two parts to lock together with a protruding nub on one piece and an indent on the other. If you choose a material that's extremely rigid, you'll never get the two pieces together.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Or post it on thingiverse and let us deal with the practicalities rather than burning his printer out with tons of requests ;)

Given that the models are free to download, for overseas it might make more sense to use a 3D printing service located within the country. Or at least one on that side of the ocean. I can't say I've looked into options in Europe, but given that the cost of the materials is well under a buck, I can't imagine a local service wouldn't come out on top. I mean, doing a quick postal service check, it's $13+ to send a small package to the UK for instance. That's ~30 times more than the actual material costs, and results in a rather expensive clip. Especially for a thermoplastic one printed on a hobbyist grade machine. The print durability wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) match up to a professional service.

Bulk shipment to one person would reduce the cost per unit, but I'm not exactly set up for mass production. It takes about an hour per clip on my printer, so printing out a dozen at once would result in a 12+ hour long print. The longer a print job goes on, the higher the chance of failure due to something going wrong. If it messes up for any reason mid print, the entire thing needs to be scrapped and restarted. Printing one out at a time has its own set of drawbacks.

So yeah, probably best to look into local options first, or even professional options on this side of the pond shipping in bulk to over there. I don't mind being a worst case fallback for a limited number of people, but I'd rather people get something worth what they paid when we start getting into that territory.

And on that note, for anybody that is thinking about getting fancy and printing it out in metal or some other super rigid material using Shapeways or the likes, don't. They designed the two parts to lock together with a protruding nub on one piece and an indent on the other. If you choose a material that's extremely rigid, you'll never get the two pieces together.

Turns out someone I know , that is local to me has a 3D printer!
Do you have a link for the model printout?

EDIT:
Oops, just saw it was in your original post. Thanks.

XShagrath

I must be weird. I've never had an issue with the cord pulling on my head or anything like that. I don't even feel the cord, except when I'm stepping over it.

Zalusithix

I must be weird. I've never had an issue with the cord pulling on my head or anything like that. I don't even feel the cord, except when I'm stepping over it.
Even if you're just standing it makes a difference. It essentially makes the cord weightless to the head. Try pushing a loop of the cable through a belt loop so you have slack to the headset. Then move your head around. It should feel close to as if there was no cable at all.

XShagrath

Even if you're just standing it makes a difference. It essentially makes the cord weightless to the head. Try pushing a loop of the cable through a belt loop so you have slack to the headset. Then move your head around. It should feel close to as if there was no cable at all.
That's the thing though. I never even feel the cable (or I'm so immersed that I'm not thinking of it). I know everyone's gonna be different though. I mean, I can't handle artificial locomotion and prefer teleport (at least from what I've tried so far). That may also be due to the fact that I do all my VR standing.

Zalusithix

That's the thing though. I never even feel the cable (or I'm so immersed that I'm not thinking of it). I know everyone's gonna be different though. I mean, I can't handle artificial locomotion and prefer teleport (at least from what I've tried so far). That may also be due to the fact that I do all my VR standing.

You can certainly ignore the weight of the cable, especially if you're not in an active game. I did myself for a week plus before I started creating the slack loop. That allowed quick reorientation without it tugging on the headset which is beneficial to games where you need to quickly move and turn around. Especially useful at the far edges of the play area where the amount of cable slack is low. It also has the side benefit of eliminated much of the weight to the headset for more stationary play.

It does however, as I mentioned, offset the cable a bit to the side where the loop pushes out from and creates a slight twist to it so it never quite lays flat. This allows it to tap a shoulder when turning the head one way, but not the other, and you can feel the cable hit your shoulder blade when making larger actions with the arm it's nearest. Minor issues, but when you're so close to perfect... slightly annoying. The clip eliminates those last issues.

There's basically no downsides to it, which makes it all the more crazy that HTC didn't think to implement something similar from the factory. Just one of many minor oversights on the design.

Though I think it would make sense for some scenarios, I really don't want to have to run/walk in place just to move. Teleporting isn't the perfect solution, but I think it's the best we have as a "standard" for now.

You don't actually have to raise and lower your legs to activate movement, but I guess you wouldn't want the headset to shake at all while moving. In practice, it seemed fine to me and I felt like I could still aim while using this method.

That seems like a nice idea, but then you wouldn't be able to move and aim properly with both motion controllers.

Onemic

You don't actually have to raise and lower your legs to activate movement, but I guess you wouldn't want the headset to shake at all while moving. In practice, it seemed fine to me and I felt like I could still aim while using this method.

That seems like a nice idea, but then you wouldn't be able to move and aim properly with both motion controllers.

I really wonder how Farpoint is handling artificial locomotion since I dont think I heard many reports of motion sickness from their E3 demo.

Zalusithix

I really wonder how Farpoint is handling artificial locomotion since I dont think I heard many reports of motion sickness from their E3 demo.

I think I read it was analog stick variable speed in the direction the gun is pointing? Which would be translational movement without rotation ala Hoverjunkers. Pretty sure rotation is handled by the headset facing. I imagine the experience will be designed so you're always moving mostly forward, and not having to turn back around the other way.

Edit: Looks like it's forwards and backwards in line with the gun. No mentioning of strafe though. Given the lack of a fixed frame of reference, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't implement that.

So today I discovered that my sister is naturally talented at archery. She made it to wave six in longbow on her first ever try. I was congratulating her afterwards and she didn't understand what the big deal was.

I know it's been said already, but it really a shame that there aren't any other VR games as polished as The Lab.

You should keep your eye on this game. It's inspired by the longbow demo but it's doing it's own thing and looks like it will be pretty fleshed out.

Diggler

Has anyone in the UK bought their Vive from PCworld or Currys? Do they include the 3 free games you get from the online orders? Thanks.

Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but I'm looking into buying a GTX 1080 and the only ones available right now seem to be from scalpers. Does anyone know when there will be more stock available?

I'm looking at making a purchase in the next 2 days so I don't want to overspend for no reason, but if it's going to be a matter of several weeks before cards come out I may end up buying one now to avoid the wait.

I played the brookhaven demo, ran out of ammo in the first wave, thought it was stupid and didn't see why people thought it was scary.

Tried it again yesterday, conserving ammo until dudes got closer to me and yeah I get it.

Those fuckers get WAY TOO CLOSE

I played the brookhaven demo, ran out of ammo in the first wave, thought it was stupid and didn't see why people thought it was scary.

Tried it again yesterday, conserving ammo until dudes got closer to me and yeah I get it.

Those fuckers get WAY TOO CLOSE

People that haven't played it yet misjudge the reasons for why that game is scary.

It's not scary because you're in a field at night shooting zombies, and most people watching a gameplay video seem to think it's just like any other traditional game where you shoot zombies.

The game really shines when the zombies invade your personal space and it induces a fight or flight response that people just don't expect when watching 2d footage of the game on a traditional screen.

I get really startled everytime it happens and it doesn't seem to be an effect that wears off for me at all, which is probably a good thing that my body doesn't start to ignore a (potentially) vital function like that.

It's that flight or fight response that gets me everytime I play a VR game where things move towards you and you turn around and there's suddenly something standing right on top of you :p

Onemic

People that haven't played it yet misjudge the reasons for why that game is scary.

It's not scary because you're in a field at night shooting zombies, and most people watching a gameplay video seem to think it's just like any other traditional game where you shoot zombies.

The game really shines when the zombies invade your personal space and it induces a fight or flight response that people just don't expect when watching 2d footage of the game on a traditional screen.

I get really startled everytime it happens and it doesn't seem to be an effect that wears off for me at all, which is probably a good thing that my body doesn't start to ignore a (potentially) vital function like that.

It's that flight or fight response that gets me everytime I play a VR game where things move towards you and you turn around and there's suddenly something standing right on top of you :p

Ya, its the same reason why HordeZ, which is pretty much a House of the Dead clone, is scary as hell. I tremble whenever I play that game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but I'm looking into buying a GTX 1080 and the only ones available right now seem to be from scalpers. Does anyone know when there will be more stock available?

I'm looking at making a purchase in the next 2 days so I don't want to overspend for no reason, but if it's going to be a matter of several weeks before cards come out I may end up buying one now to avoid the wait.

founders editions seem in fairly good stock in the UK, and I think some of the custom cards might be in this week

Two new releases out on Steam today:

Left-Hand Path

oUONLSp.jpg

Dark Souls-inspired Room-Scale Virtual Reality RPG where you hold the power of magic in your hands. Learn arcane gestures to cast powerful spells. Battle fearsome foes who give no quarter, and find your way through a weird, magical landscape.

dG5Tto5.jpg

qyAggqH.jpg

FWHsdk0.jpg

Early impressions from Reddit are pretty positive so far.

LUNE

Ang4N5z.jpg

LUNE is a experiential haiku, a short poem dedicated to the exploration of the new medium of VR. You can touch and play; poke and prod; dance, move, caress, or simply meditate as you build yourself a pillow fort made from stars, in the company of the quiet moon.

4cP6xag.jpg

7BfztRc.jpg

3Z0Xo3k.jpg

This is the new thing from the maker of Blarp! This one is more of an interactive experience than a game though from my understanding.

Onemic

Anyone know if House of the Dying Sun devs are gonna add official HOTAS support or are we sol?

I still cant wrap my head around why they didnt do this. It honestly makes 0 sense to me based on the type of game that it is and its control scheme(pitch, roll, yaw, throttle, and drift). Right now you can manually add a config for your HOTAS, but sensitivity is way too high for it to be anything but a novelty at this point.

KC Denton

Anyone know if House of the Dying Sun devs are gonna add official HOTAS support or are we sol?

I still cant wrap my head around why they didnt do this. It honestly makes 0 sense to me based on the type of game that it is and its control scheme(pitch, roll, yaw, throttle, and drift). Right now you can manually add a config for your HOTAS, but sensitivity is way too high for it to be anything but a novelty at this point.
I would imagine at this point enough people have raised this issue up that they will include official support in a future update. It's still early access so I can't see them outright refusing to do that unless it's actually a huge strain on development in some way, even if I have not seen an official statement confirming one way or another.

TheJerit

I've had a weird problem I've been battling for a friggin WEEK.

I plugged a TV into my GPU because I thought "Hey I could mirror the display so guests could see what was going on better!"

Now ever since:

If I go into SteamVR it boots like normal doesn't drop any frames. And tracks only semi reliably. Ok fine.

I sync a controller and press the steam button. The overlay causes tracking to lag huge. SteamVR still doesn't report dropped frames. Instantly nauseating.

Press the SteamVR desktop button. Even more tracking lag. Sometimes greying out. Still no dropped frames reported. some CPU cores at 30-50%

Launch a game. Tracking degrades even further. Unplayable. Still not reporting any dropped frames.

Things I've done:
Restart
Remove TV.
Restart.
Update GPU drivers.
Restart
Double check GPU power settings.
Restart
Double check GPU clock speed.
Restart
Double check CPU power settings.
Restart
Turn off camera.
Restart
Try 3 USB ports.
Restart
Unplug and replug everything HTC related.
Restart
Rollback GPU drivers.
Restart

This setup has been rock solid for MONTHS. And in between booting the PC and launching SteamVR I plugged in a TV and told the OS to mirror. I can't say for sure if there was a SteamVR update that broke my shit or what. SteamVR beta preforms better, but still a far cry from how stable and awesome it was before.

Other games run completely normally outside of the VRs.

4790K, GTX970, 16gb, SSD.

I don't mind re-installing my OS. But for the love of God I want to know what is causing this so I don't have to live in fear not knowing if plugging in another display will fuck my shit up irreparably.

Make sure SteamVR is still set to Direct Mode and hasn't been switched accidentally. Start up SteamVR and go into its menu. Look for the Devices menu item and see if Direct Mode is checked. If it isn't, that might be your culprit.

Edit: Looks like in the current version of SteamVR Beta, that setting has been moved. It is now under Settings | Developer.

A) Enough games. Should I wait?

Might be an unpopular opinion here, but I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the game selection right now. If you don't mind playing stuff in early access, there are a lot of options and no reason to not jump in right away. If you're like me and would rather wait for games to be completed before playing them, you might want to hold off.

That said, I don't see the price of the Vive dropping any time soon, so maybe get the Vive now, play what's available, and then leave it for a bit while you wait for new stuff to come out? That's more or less what I'm doing.

Keric

Budget Cuts and The Lab are my favorites.

Though I played some Battle Dome over the weekend. I was grinning like a kid the whole time. So much fun.

Zalusithix

I just used this site to order one of Zalusithix's cable clips.

Cost about £6. I'm in the UK but it looks like the site operates worldwide.
You probably didn't mean it in this way, but to be clear, they're not my design. I've printed one and brought attention to it here, but that's about it.

I haven't actually released any of the things I've designed for the Vive as they've been made for rather specific use cases and around hardware I had laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom