• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
How well does the teleportation work with the combat?

Surprisingly well. It has a cool down so you can't spam it, plus the whole Splatoon angle of having to paint spots before you can teleport there.

Pong Waves VR

http://store.steampowered.com/app/488310

This game is just awesome. It is so much fun! The gameplay is great. Already one of my favourite Vive titles :)
Hope to see some MP in the future.

There's another ping pong game in development Paddle Up that looks like it will have MP.

Compsiox

Banned
Surprisingly well. It has a cool down so you can't spam it, plus the whole Splatoon angle of having to paint spots before you can teleport there.

There's another ping pong game in development Paddle Up that looks like it will have MP.

Another Vanishing Realms here.
Also Holopoint.

And pool nation VR and Battledome multiplayer.

That's as narrow as I can get it!

I guess I really gotta try Battledome. I hope people will be playing it in more than a month from now when I get back to my Vive.

cakefoo

Pong Waves VR

http://store.steampowered.com/app/488310

This game is just awesome. It is so much fun! The gameplay is great. Already one of my favourite Vive titles :)
Hope to see some MP in the future.
There are at least 4 table tennis games, and the easy choice for me will be Paddle Up whenever it releases. Sound effects, graphics, AI animations, physics are all looking really good compared to the others.

Paddle Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxH5kfxYmEk
Pong Waves VR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSGkhHosJ9M
Table Tennis VR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iRfdfGRziw
Ping Pong VR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSr_PjwZkug

There are at least 4 table tennis games, and the easy choice for me will be Paddle Up whenever it releases. Sound effects, graphics, AI animations, physics are all looking really good compared to the others.

My favorite post of the day. No idea there were so many out there/coming. I bought Pong Waves on general principal.

Saganator

Battledome is all the rage right now on r/vive. Might try it myself this evening, but not expecting it to run well on my i5 2320 / GTX 670.

Unfortunately it probably won't. My i7 3770K GTX 970 goes into the 60s during firefights. Worth a shot though, you can always refund it if it doesn't run well.

It's super fun when you get on a decent team and it clicks. Which reminds me, I have zero Vive friends on Steam. Add me if you want to MP some Battle Dome or Pool Nation VR (I suck)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/saganator

So I've been hearing Battle Dome is amazing, any impressions from you guys?

Yes. I just bought today because of all the awesome feedback in Reddit /r/vive and I can confirm it is amazing. At first I steered clear of the title because of the crap graphics but man was I wrong for judging a VR game based on graphics. Don't let the simple graphics fool you.

This is by far the most fun I've had in VR; poolnation and the lab come in a close second.

Imagine combining a fps game with live action paintball or laser tag. That's what battle dome is. The locomotion mechanic is similad to splatoon's paint splatter with a cool down and it works great.

You have the option of a one handed weapon with a small paint gun. Two hand weapons with no paint gun. A larger two handed paint gun that can paint further and faster. Or you can do melee and shield. Each weapon type has a purpose.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how is the bluetooth connectivity stuff in the vive these days? I'd like to be able to connect my phone just to get notified if someone is calling, but only if it is reliable. Also if it is convenient to shut down the lighthouses wirelessly

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

d00d3n

This is a trivial detail of the VR experience, but ...

How do you protect your HTC Vive headset from dust while you are not using it? I am personally using a large transparent plastic bag with endpoints that can easily be tied together. It was included in one of the Oculus Developer Kits if I remember correctly. It works just fine (the lenses still seem dust free), but it is not the most elegant solution. Anyone who has solved this issue in a better way? Maybe some fancy box to put the headset in?

Tadie

Niceee!

I will buy them all :)

bj00rn_

Banned
My favorite game so far would have to be Audio Shield or AltspaceVR.

What about you guys?

Outside simulators with VR support (PCars, DCS World, and Elite Dangerous even though not a sim), I still think the Budget Cuts demo is the ultimate combined experience for me, of course leaving me wanting the full experience.. And outside that, one of my favorites overall is, believe it or not; theBlu..

I like Audioshield, but I can't stand that it feels so unfinished. The whole UI system, navigation, loading and all is a frustration to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there an official chronos thread? Got stuck with a couple of sections and looking for assistance. Just in case - fairly early on:

There is a key in a bookcase that I can happily look at but I can't seem to open the doors, nor is there a keyhole anywhere.

Also there is a bridge that looks like I have to
raise the water level so I can get a gem
, but I can't see where I can do that. There was a
valve/key
that I apparantly activated but I can't seem to toggle it and I didn't know what it did until I examined it.

Liking it a lot btw.

Paganmoon

So I've tested two artificial locomotion games so far (Astral Domine, and Spell fighter VR), both were pretty bad experiences. The locomotion was way to fast, and way to instant. Any recommendations of other games with artificial locomotion that hopefully handle it better?

bomblord1

Banned
This is a trivial detail of the VR experience, but ...

How do you protect your HTC Vive headset from dust while you are not using it? I am personally using a large transparent plastic bag with endpoints that can easily be tied together. It was included in one of the Oculus Developer Kits if I remember correctly. It works just fine (the lenses still seem dust free), but it is not the most elegant solution. Anyone who has solved this issue in a better way? Maybe some fancy box to put the headset in?

I just use the included cloth to wipe them off before I start playing. As long as they're not exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period of time or physically damaged dust should give no long term problems.

derFeef

So I've tested two artificial locomotion games so far (Astral Domine, and Spell fighter VR), both were pretty bad experiences. The locomotion was way to fast, and way to instant. Any recommendations of other games with artificial locomotion that hopefully handle it better?

HordeZ does it okay-ish.

d00d3n

I just use the included cloth to wipe them off before I start playing. As long as they're not exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period of time or physically damaged dust should give no long term problems.

The lenses could be scratched when you are wiping them off I guess?

I think it is quite convenient to not have to wipe the lenses personally.

Zalusithix

I like Audioshield, but I can't stand that it feels so unfinished. The whole UI system, navigation, loading and all is a frustration to me.

Yep, the UI is just barely functional. I dread actually browsing for stuff because of the limited folder name length, annoying scrolling, and the fact that back doesn't take you back to where you were scrolled to in the list before. File/folder lists aren't cached for current session, so it takes a half dozen seconds every time it brings up a folder with lots of stuff in it - especially on a networked drive. The dethrone menu just lists outdated stuff perpetually. I seriously hope the UI/UX just gets tossed out and replaced wholesale.

The loading I can deal with for the first time, but the reload is annoying. Spin off another damn thread and crunch the level algorithm again as soon as the player begins the current song. It's not like you don't have enough cores to play with on a VR capable PC. Burning a few extra CPU cycles for something that you might not need isn't the end of the world, and a nearly instant restart would make the experience a hell of a lot nicer for the user.

Love the game, but damn does it need polish.

Zalusithix

I don't have an issue with the Audioshield folder browser, but I do have my music organised into folders. Artists > Albums.

For actual albums I have a similar structure. For things like anime opening/endings, however, they're organized by series. One series can have multiple OP/EDs, and many years worth of collection means that general folder is massive. Doesn't help that the search feature only picks up on files, not folder. So if I search by a series name, I'll get jack as the files have the actual artist / song. So looooots of scrolling if I want to find anything in that folder. Then when I go back to the main folder, after many seconds of "dumped to grey room" (because 90fps can't be maintained while loading the list), I get to start at the beginning of the list again.

There's no reason the game can't cache a folder's contents after the first time. There's no reason it can't remember where you are in a list. There's no reason they couldn't have designed the UI so it shows more than the first dozen or so letters of a folder name. Just bad/half baked UI/behavior.

deadfolk

I'm wondering if I should pick up a pair of wireless headphones, as there are just too many wires for me right now.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend more than ~€120 or equivalent, and a built-in mic would also be handy.

No-one using wireless headphones?

For actual albums I have a similar structure. For things like anime opening/endings, however, they're organized by series. One series can have multiple OP/EDs, and many years worth of collection means that general folder is massive. Doesn't help that the search feature only picks up on files, not folder. So if I search by a series name, I'll get jack as the files have the actual artist / song. So looooots of scrolling if I want to find anything in that folder. Then when I go back to the main folder, after many seconds of "dumped to grey room" (because 90fps can't be maintained while loading the list), I get to start at the beginning of the list again.

There's no reason the game can't cache a folder's contents after the first time. There's no reason it can't remember where you are in a list. There's no reason they couldn't have designed the UI so it shows more than the first dozen or so letters of a folder name. Just bad/half baked UI/behavior.

Ah I see. I don't have that issue myself.

No-one using wireless headphones?

I just bought a 30cm headphone cable to use with my X2's.

is there an official chronos thread? Got stuck with a couple of sections and looking for assistance. Just in case - fairly early on:

There is a key in a bookcase that I can happily look at but I can't seem to open the doors, nor is there a keyhole anywhere.

Also there is a bridge that looks like I have to
raise the water level so I can get a gem
, but I can't see where I can do that. There was a
valve/key
that I apparantly activated but I can't seem to toggle it and I didn't know what it did until I examined it.

Liking it a lot btw.

Its one of the best Oculus games.

About the key in the bookcase
you will get it later on

About the gem
Yes you have to raise the water level so you can cross it thru that floating wooden bridge
to do that, you need
the "plato" or disc thing inserted in the shrine bellow the Cyclops, it controls the water flow of a section. The disc is in another shrine, close to the library, with the same "sock head" statues

After you beat the game, let me know, i believe i have found lots of easter eggs and secrets that i would like to discuss.

Onemic

Yeah, not looking to test on rails, or teleport, which both work pretty ok (Teleport works without a problem imo). I want to test out more "stick locomotion" to see if there are any that work for me without discomfort.

Altspace is the only one I can think of atm. There's Solus Project but their VR implementation currently needs work imo, so I wouldnt recommend it.

Right now artificial locomotion feels as if you're in a moving vehicle while standing, so moving your feet while turning your head can get disorienting....I wonder if that's something that can ever be fixed. Still though, I'd take artificial locomotion in its current state over teleportation any day of the week.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Spell fighter has the worst implementation of artificial locomotion of any VR game I have played. That game can make anyone sick.

Rules for Artificial Locomotion (non cockpit):

1) Limit speed to something a human can actually achieve - we actually walk sslllooowwww. In most traditional games characters move at something like 60mph (COD, etc). Knock that down to 4 mph and a lot of sickness goes away. This also makes your world seem bigger and more believable (Warning: this makes traveling long distances cumbersome unless you implement a Jog speed (which should not exceed 10mph). Sprinting speed can lead to sickness if you don't limit the players FOV while achieving it).

2) Use slight acceleration - Jerking the player up to full speed can make people sick (or fall over). We accelerate when we walk, jog and sprint, simulate that.

3) Don't decelerate when walking- We generally "stop on a dime" and don't decelerate unless we are jogging or running. If you implement jogging speed then use deceleration but not for walking speed.

Tain

Don't forget to avoid smoothly rotating the player. I actually avoid acceleration and deceleration of all kinds, but that might make more sense in what I'm working on.

There really aren't many games that respect all these rules. Many just give you totally standard analog stick movement, which is awful.

Onemic

Spell fighter has the worst implementation of artificial locomotion of any VR game I have played. That game can make anyone sick.

Rules for Artificial Locomotion (non cockpit):

1) Limit speed to something a human can actually achieve - we actually walk sslllooowwww. In most traditional games characters move at something like 60mph (COD, etc). Knock that down to 4 mph and a lot of sickness goes away. This also makes your world seem bigger and more believable (Warning: this makes traveling long distances cumbersome unless you implement a Jog speed (which should not exceed 10mph). Sprinting speed can lead to sickness if you don't limit the players FOV while achieving it).

2) Use slight acceleration - Jerking the player up to full speed can make people sick (or fall over). We accelerate when we walk, jog and sprint, simulate that.

3) Don't decelerate when walking- We generally "stop on a dime" and don't decelerate unless we are jogging or running. If you implement jogging speed then use deceleration but not for walking speed.

What games would you say have the best artificial locomotion? So far I've only tried Altspace and Solus Project.

derFeef

So wait, what does artificial locomotion mean? I tried the very first VR version of Solus and it made me almost puke within 5 minutes.

All games should use this. I hate instant full speed. Acceleration and deceleration is so much better and requires forethought instead of twitch reactions

Either way I just want my VR games to have locomotion. Teleporting sucks

Onemic

Ah okay, I completely misunderstood then. Yeah, I have not had a good artificial locomotion experience yet.

When did you feel sick? Was it when you began turning, using the crouch function, or unintentionally being moved because you just happened to touch the touch pad?

derFeef

In Solus, it was the turning combined with the less than optimal (slow) head tracking. It threw me off big time. I needed an hour or more to completely regenerate.

Paganmoon

What games would you say have the best artificial locomotion? So far I've only tried Altspace and Solus Project.

Pretty much what I wanted to know, but put more concisely :)

I mean, checking this thread on PSVR and Farpoint , which is about a Youtube video from people who don't seem to be gamers (Hollywood reporters?), They don't seem to be tacken aback by the locomotion at all. So there has to be better examples out there for Vive.

And yeah, the points Croatoan brought are pretty, uhm, on point. Instant movement is bad, high speed is bad. Both the games I've tested so far have had both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom