• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomblord1

Banned
So Sayonara Umihara Kawase just got an official SteamVR patch.

You know, Sayonara Umihara Kawase. The quirky platformer me and 2 other people bought on Steam. Got an official SteamVR patch.

What.
I'll report back.

How does that even work? Especially with the resolution lock

Just got my vive, holy moly its ridiculous! :) So far no sickness at all (even playing cars standing with a controller) so hopefully I'm good. I can't believe how good the touch controllers are, its so natural to grab stuff.

Brilliant, utterly brilliant!

Welcome. And yes VR is amazing and so are the Vive controllers.

Durante

So Sayonara Umihara Kawase has 2 VR-related options: one for "scale" which you can switch between diorama-sized and full scale. And another which changes the way the camera position tracks the player (either directly only moving when required).

As far as I can tell, the entire game is playable in VR (using a traditional controller of course).

I took some SteamVR screenshots which came out at a ridiculously tiny resolution:
Diorama mode:
20160622184541_15gyod.jpg

Full scale mode:
20160622184157_135x72.jpg

(Obviously, the scale difference is much more apparent in VR. Also, don't mind the aspect ratio of these shots, it's correct in the HMD)

How does that even work? Especially with the resolution lock
I think it renders at a higher resolution. Still not particularly high though, I have to look at it in more depth.

bomblord1

Banned
So Sayonara Umihara Kawase has 2 VR-related options: one for "scale" which you can switch between diorama-sized and full scale. And another which changes the way the camera position tracks the player (either directly only moving when required).

As far as I can tell, the entire game is playable in VR (using a traditional controller of course).

I took some SteamVR screenshots which came out at a ridiculously tiny resolution:
Diorama mode:
20160622184541_15gyod.jpg

Full scale mode:
20160622184157_135x72.jpg

(Obviously, the scale difference is much more apparent in VR. Also, don't mind the aspect ratio of these shots, it's correct in the HMD)

I think it renders at a higher resolution. Still not particularly high though, I have to look at it in more depth.

That's really interesting

Tagyhag

You know, Sayonara Umihara Kawase. The quirky platformer me and 2 other people bought on Steam. Got an official SteamVR patch.

What.
I'll report back.

That is so cool.

Anything to inject life into that series.

jj70

Neo Member
So, I have been having a problem, I have my PC monitor connected via DVI on my 970, and I have been alternating between using the HDMI for my 4KTV, and the Vive. Problem being, when switching between the two, it gets all wonky and takes me like 30+minutes to get the Vive running right again after I swap.

Not once, but twice this has caused friends coming over after a night of drinking expecting to play my Vive waiting 30 minutes just to be disappointing and give up.

So, SOLUTION! I ordered a Displayport to Mini-displayport cord from Amazon Basics.

Thing is, my headset does not detect it at all... and says something about a mirrored display?

Anyone else have issues using the Displayport? Work around? Halp!

I had problems, too. I asked for help in here, but it seemed that it was only my problem and then no one talk about it anymore. Glad I'm not the one, then.

My request
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205002997&postcount=9136
the answer
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205003228&postcount=9137
My reply
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205079261&postcount=9159

and then nothing :) But I do not want to make controversy.
Perhaps we should contact HTC support :)

Onemic

Damn. You don't even have the various options? There should be three in the menu.

Maybe have a google and see if others have this.

I just asked in the Steam forums and supposedly it's only the teleport control option that has the push down to move controls? I had it set to the walking control configuration.

Darko

Two part question. Is there video player/watch in theater app? I remember seeing screens of that last year. And secondly is there a said theater app that can hook into Plex?

You can use Virtual Desktop and purchuse the movie theater template for a few bucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can use Virtual Desktop and purchuse the movie theater template for a few bucks.

Movie theatre seems to be too far away to actually read things on the screen though. Is there a way to switch between different templates with a button/key press? Once I go into that mode I can't get out without taking the headset off

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

What.
I'll report back.

Thats... so WEIRD. Really cool that it got done though. Who are the devs on that? Maybe they're just experimenting on VR support for whatever their next full game will be?

I had problems, too. I asked for help in here, but it seemed that it was only my problem and then no one talk about it anymore. Glad I'm not the one, then.

My request
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205002997&postcount=9136
the answer
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205003228&postcount=9137
My reply
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205079261&postcount=9159

and then nothing :) But I do not want to make controversy.
Perhaps we should contact HTC support :)

I dont know why, but I can only run the vive through DVI. DP does not work for me. I have an ASUS 980ti. Support has no clue.

Tain

Diorama mode:

Full scale mode:

Just tried it myself, pretty interesting stuff.

It'd be really cool to be able to manually scale things so I could get rid of scrolling entirely.

The game world's framerate seems to still be capped (HMD movement not), which wouldn't be a problem if I could make it tinier.

Interesting. So how does it play overall? Does the VR add to the experience? How does it compare to, say, Lucky's Tale?

Onemic

Seems like it was the control scheme that I picked that was the problem in Solus Project. Picked teleportation mode and now have the updated control scheme!

Paganmoon

I wonder if you could easily get this (and other games with little/no graphics options) to supersample by simply returning larger numbers from IVRSystem::GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize.

Something we should be expecting you to cook up? :)

I'd love to see on the fly supersampling done for VR games. Hopefully it'll be implemented in all engines running for VR. As much hands off as possible for best "non-techie" experience.

On another note, where the hell are all the Cyberpunk inspired games/experiences? I want Johnny Mnemonic, Snow Crash, Shadowrun, Neon lights everywhere!

d00d3n

I wonder if you could easily get this (and other games with little/no graphics options) to supersample by simply returning larger numbers from IVRSystem::GetRecommendedRenderTargetSize.

Wouldn't it be nice to get "fixed VR supersampling" as an additional part of your custom title?

Zalusithix

I don't see why it wouldn't. I can't imagine any dev is hard coding the value as that'd screw the game for the future when we get higher res/different aspect ratio screens.

Something we should be expecting you to cook up? :)

I'd love to see on the fly supersampling done for VR games. Hopefully it'll be implemented in all engines running for VR. As much hands off as possible for best "non-techie" experience.

On another note, where the hell are all the Cyberpunk inspired games/experiences? I want Johnny Mnemonic, Snow Crash, Shadowrun, Neon lights everywhere!
The games are supersampled by default, or at least they should be. We're just talking the level of supersampling. There's also things like Valve's renderer where they dynamically adjust the resolution and AA on the fly, but that's a different thing and would have to be baked in by the dev.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Has valve said anything about gen 2 devices yet? Would like to see one fall 2017.

We really need ankle sensors out of the box. Every person that I introduce to VR wants to kick things! They would also help a lot with various programming logics.

Paganmoon

The games are supersampled by default, or at least they should be. We're just talking the level of supersampling. There's also things like Valve's renderer where they dynamically adjust the resolution and AA on the fly, but that's a different thing and would have to be baked in by the dev.

I know, at 1.4x, but I'm talking about adding adaptive supersampling to the engines, sort of like what The Lab does with effects and what not, or the last Wipeout did on PS3, (or Halo 5 on Xbox One), that can adapt the supersampling on the fly to take advantage of as much of your hardware as possible. whilst still targeting 1.4x minimum resolution with a GTX 970.

Zalusithix

Has valve said anything about gen 2 devices yet? Would like to see one fall 2017.

We really need ankle sensors out of the box. Every person that I introduce to VR wants to kick things! They would also help a lot with various programming logics.

I don't see Valve announcing anything. That'd be left to the actual hardware manufacturer, HTC. Given that they're just getting these units rolling out at any decent clip, I don't expect them to announce new hardware and cannibalize their potential sales.

I know, at 1.4x, but I'm talking about adding adaptive supersampling to the engines, sort of like what The Lab does with effects and what not, or the last Wipeout did on PS3, (or Halo 5 on Xbox One), that can adapt the supersampling on the fly to take advantage of as much of your hardware as possible. whilst still targeting 1.4x minimum resolution with a GTX 970.
Valve recently released their renderer for Unity. Any unity program should be able to take advantage of the dynamic resolution/AA now if the dev implements that renderer.

Paganmoon

Valve recently released their renderer for Unity. Any unity program should be able to take advantage of the dynamic resolution/AA now if the dev implements that renderer.

So renderer in The Lab actually does dynamic resolution already? I thought it only adapted effects. That's great, hope it starts to get adopted across the board.

Durante

So renderer in The Lab actually does dynamic resolution already? I thought it only adapted effects. That's great, hope it starts to get adopted across the board.
It probably does.

At the very least, whatever it does (some combination of supersampling/MSAA?) has better IQ than 95% of what's available right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't see Valve announcing anything. That'd be left to the actual hardware manufacturer, HTC. Given that they're just getting these units rolling out at any decent clip, I don't expect them to announce new hardware and cannibalize their potential sales.

I could see valve showing some research into what they're doing that might apply to future headsets

The Vive launched only 3 months ago, its way too early for them to start talking about their next gen hardware.

Zalusithix

It adjusts resolution and AA across the board based on past frame times and prediction.
clFCud5.png

The exact steppings might be somewhat different in the shipped renderer, but the concept remains the same.

pj

Banned
I could see valve showing some research into what they're doing that might apply to future headsets

I wonder what the patent situation is with oculus and valve/htc. The existing headsets are very similar and they must be doing a lot of parallel research for future headsets. Do they have patent sharing agreements? Do they each hold enough patents to make everyone's life miserable if someone starts shit?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The Vive launched only 3 months ago, its way too early for them to start talking about their next gen hardware.

When do phone companies usually start talking their next revision? I don't really expect them to announce it, was wondering if they have talked about it.

Zalusithix

So The Lab looking better after I got my 1080 wasn't just confirmation bias on my part?

Depending on what you had before, yeah, it could objectively look better on the 1080. Especially in the more taxing situations where it would normally step down. Looking at a floor or something should be the same though.

Edit: The robot repair demonstration of the tech in the presentation showed the quality levels change dynamically as he looked from the robot to a wall and back again. That was source, and not Unity, but the Unity renderer was still a WIP at that point.

Hari Seldon

My new graphics card should be in today or tomorrow. Cannot wait to finally use my Vive. There are so many games out for it now though. What are the hot games that have come out since release? Left-Hand Path looks pretty good. How is DCS in VR?

Durante

My new graphics card should be in today or tomorrow. Cannot wait to finally use my Vive. There are so many games out for it now though. What are the hot games that have come out since release? Left-Hand Path looks pretty good. How is DCS in VR?
One game in particular where I am waiting on for a better GPU to play it in VR is Solus Project.

Onemic

Thank christ!

Hope you enjoy the game :)

Thanks. One thing I noticed is that in the new control scheme, the strafe option is still touch to move instead of press down to move like the two rotation options.

Also are there enemies in the game? Im sorta on edge as I play this(at the beginning area where I need to find a way into a cave where a noise is coming from) because I feel like Im gonna be surprised by something popping out of the grass.

VR really makes things that normally wouldnt be scary on a monitor fucking terrifying. Im looking at you HordeZ and Holopoint

When do phone companies usually start talking their next revision? I don't really expect them to announce it, was wondering if they have talked about it.

Phones are a completely different animal. This is super high end, enthusiast tech, whereas, phones are ubiquitous, and part of most peoples everyday routine.

We won't hear about 2nd gen hardware for awhile, but I bet we will hear more abstractly about improvements in the science and technology of VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom