• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quite a few discounts for VR. highest at 33% though as far as I've seen.

Edit:
link to discounts, filtered on Vive
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=101&specials=1

Not much that I hadn't already bought, but might tip me over into trying out some of the edge cases.

House of the dying sun
Holoball
Flight control (maybe)
Universe sandbox (maybe)
Crystal rift (maybe)

Any impressions on my maybes?

Also a bunch of games on sale on the oculus store - Chronos and blaze rush are great

Edit: perfect angle zen edition looks interesting and is cheap. Anyone tried it?

Trouble

Banned
Not much that I hadn't already bought, but might tip me over into trying out some of the edge cases.

House of the dying sun
Holoball
Flight control (maybe)
Universe sandbox (maybe)
Crystal rift (maybe)

Any impressions on my maybes?

Also a bunch of games on sale on the oculus store - Chronos and blaze rush are great

Edit: perfect angle zen edition looks interesting and is cheap. Anyone tried it?

I like House of the Dying Sun, solid for Early Access. I hope they turn it into something truly exceptional.

It's arcadey space dogfighting for those not in the know.

Paganmoon

Flight Control? you mean Final Approach? Also considering that, seems to have gotten positive reviews.
Also considering Universe Sandbox 2, but it's a bit steep for something I'm going to play around with for like an hour max.
Was considering Crystal Rift, 'till I read up on it a bit more and checked a few more videos, and it didn't really appeal that much.

Also on my consideration list:
Hover Junkers
Cyberpong VR
The Gallery
Vanishing Realms
The Solus Project

Any input on those?

collige

Banned
Flight Control? you mean Final Approach? Also considering that, seems to have gotten positive reviews.
Also considering Universe Sandbox 2, but it's a bit steep for something I'm going to play around with for like an hour max.
Was considering Crystal Rift, 'till I read up on it a bit more and checked a few more videos, and it didn't really appeal that much.

Hover Junkers
Cyberpong VR
The Gallery
Vanishing Realms
The Solus Project

Any input on those?

Vanishing Realms is one of the more fully featured VR games I've player, but it looks like complete ass (even by VR standards) and the melee combat is a bit simplistic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Hover Junkers
Cyberpong VR
The Gallery
Vanishing Realms
The Solus Project

Any input on those?

Vanishing realms is great.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
only if you meet their space requirements.

Even then I really dislike that it's teleportation only. Makes the combat feel really dull unless you have a really big room.

Space requirement isn't any different from most other games. If you have a lot of space you can walk around, otherwise you teleport - like pretty much all games. I quite like that you can only teleport a short distance. The combat isn't great but it still got me pretty well towards the end of the first story chapter

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I can only get 1 game today in the summer sale and I'm torn between Vanishing Realms and Hover Junkers.

Anyone got a suggestion?

do you prefer multiplayer shooters with lots of replayability or single player dungeon crawl thats only a couple hours tho?
they're both premium products

HordeZ
Vanishing Realms
HoloBall
Hover Junkers

if you had to pick... 2 of these, which 2 would you get and why?

pretend you like all games and don't have a preference

battle dome is pretty popular too isn't it?

bomblord1

Banned
do you prefer multiplayer shooters with lots of replayability or single player dungeon crawl thats only a couple hours tho?
they're both premium products

Ended up getting vanishing realms it looks like a more full featured game

HordeZ
Vanishing Realms
HoloBall
Hover Junkers

Vanishing Realms and Hover Junkers both look like pretty awesome games.

WELP

gjgGsZg.jpg

why aren't some things on sale sheesh

pj

Banned
House of the dying sun is some good seated VR shit.
Cloudlands minigolf is also very fun. Especially in multiplayer when I win by a hefty margin.

HordeZ
Vanishing Realms
HoloBall
Hover Junkers

Battle dome is eeeeeeexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxtremely alpha but the game is already more fun to me than hover junkers. I would buy it over HJ in a second.

After that I would get Holoball. vanishing realms is great from what I've played but people say it's short and I assume it will be fleshed out more in the future.

i'm super against holoball as it is the game that breaks controllers/walls/tvs/ceiling fans/lamps the most

and by most I mean it's the only game I see where people do this

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Interesting... a new version of Revive was just released. CrossVR is saying that Oculus has just removed the headset check from their DRM. Hopefully that is true. That is at least a step in a positive direction for them. It also means Revive doesn't have to fully bypass their DRM.

Interesting... a new version of Revive was just released. CrossVR is saying that Oculus has just removed the headset check from their DRM. Hopefully that is true. That is at least a step in a positive direction for them. It also means Revive doesn't have to fully bypass their DRM.

That would be a good thing for them to do. Hopefully they keep it this way.

kinggroin

Banned
i'm super against holoball as it is the game that breaks controllers/walls/tvs/ceiling fans/lamps the most

and by most I mean it's the only game I see where people do this

They've updated the game to allow the player to limit the boundaries where the ball can travel on return. This way you're not swinging so far out to get a hit

mrklaw

MrArseFace

And they have a sale on.. Is there a list of which games don't work because of denuvo? Or would even those games work? Mainly thinking about edge of nowhere as I already have chronos and blaze rush which work fine

So then I don't need to do any weird bullshit with having windows firewall block the application or unplug my computer or anything if I want to use revive again?

will probably reinstall, then.

deadfolk

Woo! Let us know what you think of Waterbears VR!*

*full disclosure, the title was created by my studio, Schell Games.

Did you guys recently update the space requirements for this? I had previously disregarded it because I'm pretty sure it used to say 3m x 3m, but now it's 2.3m x 2m, which I can actually do. That's a hell of a drop.

Anyone else tried this game at the lower end of the space requirements? I'm around 2.5m x 2.7m.

By the way - I love the fact that this game has a Steam tag of 'Psychological Horror'!

Lemonte

Bought Project cars finally. Been eyeing that thing for months. VR is perfect fit for racing games. It's so much easier to get sense of speed and when to brake. Didn't even have to think about watching mirrors I just did it automatically. I think I need to get a wheel.

And they have a sale on.. Is there a list of which games don't work because of denuvo? Or would even those games work? Mainly thinking about edge of nowhere as I already have chronos and blaze rush which work fine

The CrossVR guy on Reddit just mentioned he got confirmation Edge of Nowhere works though it has some graphical glitches. Kind of want to wait for some other guinea pigs to test it out first though.

Onemic

Space requirement isn't any different from most other games. If you have a lot of space you can walk around, otherwise you teleport - like pretty much all games. I quite like that you can only teleport a short distance. The combat isn't great but it still got me pretty well towards the end of the first story chapter

It's different because if you're under the space requirement there are going to be many times where the game will pause because you cant reach something due to it being outside the Chaperone bounds.(This is even with teleportation to get you close to the object) I pretty much stopped playing the game because of this.

And then you have the fact that the combat is pretty terrible if you dont have a big space to move around in.(Even then the combat is pretty bad because enemies are extremely static) I wouldnt recommend Vanishing Realms to anyone that is under the space requirements.

Chozoman

Banned
Did you guys recently update the space requirements for this? I had previously disregarded it because I'm pretty sure it used to say 3m x 3m, but now it's 2.3m x 2m, which I can actually do. That's a hell of a drop.

Anyone else tried this game at the lower end of the space requirements? I'm around 2.5m x 2.7m.

By the way - I love the fact that this game has a Steam tag of 'Psychological Horror'!

Indeed we did. We were being super cautious when we originally decided on the space requirements, but since then, we've reevaluated the experience and found it to be completely playable in a smaller space.

We also all had a good chuckle at the tagging. :D

You guys got some kind of challenge puzzle pack in the works?

Not just yet, but if it becomes super popular, who knows.

deadfolk

Indeed we did. We were being super cautious when we originally decided on the space requirements, but since then, we've reevaluated the experience and found it to be completely playable in a smaller space.

We also all had a good chuckle at the tagging. :D

Sweet - thanks. I'll check it out while it's on sale then. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Woo! Let us know what you think of Waterbears VR!*

*full disclosure, the title was created by my studio, Schell Games.

It's a great game and works really well with room scale, but you *really* need to change your system of forcing people to stand on a predefined spot. It unnecessarily increases the minimum space required. Steam says it needs I think 3m X 2m, but I managed with 2x2, although by world 3 I was squashing my face into a wall to register in the correct spot to go to the next level

Tain

It's a great game and works really well with room scale, but you *really* need to change your system of forcing people to stand on a predefined spot. It unnecessarily increases the minimum space required. Steam says it needs I think 3m X 2m, but I managed with 2x2, although by world 3 I was squashing my face into a wall to register in the correct spot to go to the next level

Yeah, I agree with all of this. I know it isn't trivial, especially with the level of polish that Waterbears has, but it'd be really convenient to have an optional teleportation feature. I'm lucky to have the space, but some of my Vive-owning friends don't.

Chozoman

Banned

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience in some instances. The portal system was created to give the player the best view of a puzzle upon load. In addition, we wanted to return the player to a baseline position to avoid the surprisingly unpleasant experience of appearing in a new puzzle with a pipe impaled in your stomach. ;)

I sincerely hope the rest of your experience was enjoyable.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience in some instances. The portal system was created to give the player the best view of a puzzle upon load. In addition, we wanted to return the player to a baseline position to avoid the surprisingly unpleasant experience of appearing in a new puzzle with a pipe impaled in your stomach. ;)

I sincerely hope the rest of your experience was enjoyable.

Luckily I have the space to play (and really enjoy it!), but I think a teleport option would go a long way. You could have the player teleport to the same spot in order to exit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom