• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm sorry you've had a bad experience in some instances. The portal system was created to give the player the best view of a puzzle upon load. In addition, we wanted to return the player to a baseline position to avoid the surprisingly unpleasant experience of appearing in a new puzzle with a pipe impaled in your stomach. ;)

I sincerely hope the rest of your experience was enjoyable.

I loved it :)

I'd have thought you could just draw the new level in place based on where the user is currently standing, but I understand if your preference was to contain the entire level within the available playspace - which would require the user to reset their physical location. I do like how natural it is to walk around without worrying about teleporting.

Durante

Woo! Let us know what you think of Waterbears VR!*

*full disclosure, the title was created by my studio, Schell Games.
You did a damn good job!

I gushed about Waterbears much earlier in this thread, and also wrote a Steam review. It's probably one of my favourite complete games available on day 1 for the Vive.

Is there any chance of a DLC expansion/level pack? I don't normally buy DLC, but I'd certainly make an exception here.

Trouble

Banned
Woo! Let us know what you think of Waterbears VR!*

*full disclosure, the title was created by my studio, Schell Games.

Love it! Release more levels pls!

Also, the roomscale requirements seem a bit higher than they need to be. Myself and others have run in less room, but it can require going near/outside chaperone boundaries to get in position for one of the warp pads. The actual puzzle sections don't seem to need that much space. You might be missing out on some potential sales to people who don't meet the space requirements.

Chozoman

Banned
You did a damn good job!

I gushed about Waterbears much earlier in this thread, and also wrote a Steam review. It's probably one of my favourite complete games available on day 1 for the Vive.

Is there any chance of a DLC expansion/level pack? I don't normally buy DLC, but I'd certainly make an exception here.

I'm so happy you enjoyed the game. We really did want to have a fully featured game available on Day 1! We're not currently planning an expansion, but reception and studio workload will ultimately drive that decision.

Love it! Release more levels pls!

Also, the roomscale requirements seem a bit higher than they need to be. Myself and others have run in less room, but it can require going near/outside chaperone boundaries to get in position for one of the warp pads. The actual puzzle sections don't seem to need that much space. You might be missing out on some potential sales to people who don't meet the space requirements.

Great feedback. I'll make sure it gets to the appropriate parties.

newsguy

I switched to contacts for vr. Hated the astigmatism lenses so just went and had lasik done lol. Now I'm free!

This is true dedication. The next time someone mentions how hard it was to clear a room for their VR setup, I will laugh in their softcore face and tell the tale of the man who had lasers cut the outer flap of his cornea just so he could see the IKEA kitchen in VR.

krumble

I'm so happy you enjoyed the game. We really did want to have a fully featured game available on Day 1! We're not currently planning an expansion, but reception and studio workload will ultimately drive that decision.

Great feedback. I'll make sure it gets to the appropriate parties.

I would LOVE some DLC it's one of the better games on Vive

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
This is true dedication. The next time someone mentions how hard it was to clear a room for their VR setup, I will laugh in their softcore face and tell the tale of the man who had lasers cut the outer flap of his cornea just so he could see the IKEA kitchen in VR.

haha. and what a glorious kitchen it was!

The upside is that my eyes also work outside of VR... but don't tell them that, it softens the story too much.

newsguy

The upside is that my eyes also work outside of VR... but don't tell them that, it softens the story too much.

Your avatar works so well for this. I wish I could get Lasik but my eyes aren't bad enough. I have tried for years to wear contacts and I can't, my eyes dry out like cardboard within an hour.

bomblord1

Banned

Lmfao.

Is Lasik painful or difficult? Something is terrifying to me about having my eye held open still conscious while someone slices it open. I can't even keep my eye open when eye drops are put in.

Zalusithix

I'd consider LASIK if not for the never completely healing corneas part. VR isn't worth the potential of rubbing my eyes hard someday down the line and having a flap tear back up. Nope, nope, nope. PRK doesn't have that downside, but I'm not in a situation where I can just take weeks off for recovery.

Spyware

Didn't get an answer before, maybe people think I wasn't serious or something? :/
I just ordered a Vive that will arrive next week and is looking at stuff to buy. Are there games I shouldn't buy yet because I don't have a 980ti or 1080 ("only" a regular 980)? I see posts all over the internet claiming different stuff runs badly on pretty much anything else than 1080 but then I see people claiming the opposite so I dunno who to trust. I trust GAF the most generally so I would love to hear if there are games I should wait on until I want to upgrade again.

Really happy about the news on Oculus. Good of them to change that.

Onemic

Didn't get an answer before, maybe people think I wasn't serious or something? :/
I just ordered a Vive that will arrive next week and is looking at stuff to buy. Are there games I shouldn't buy yet because I don't have a 980ti or 1080 ("only" a regular 980)? I see posts all over the internet claiming different stuff runs badly on pretty much anything else than 1080 but then I see people claiming the opposite so I dunno who to trust. I trust GAF the most generally so I would love to hear if there are games I should wait on until I want to upgrade again.

Really happy about the news on Oculus. Good of them to change that.

You can run pretty much everything. Probably no super sampling though and games that push hardware will probably have to be set to low settings.(Elite Dangerous, Pool Nation, Solus Project, Project Cars etc.)

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Lmfao.

Is Lasik painful or difficult? Something is terrifying to me about having my eye held open still conscious while someone slices it open. I can't even keep my eye open when eye drops are put in.

It was pretty easy. Took about 10 minutes total. You get a bit of pain for 24-48 hours but the operation itself was painless. The only uncomfortable part of the operation was the pressure you feel at the beginning... but it is just pressure. The worst part for me was having to put eye drop meds in and wearing goggles while I slept for a week. I'm 2 weeks past my surgery now and am very happy I had it done.

I'd consider LASIK if not for the never completely healing corneas part. VR isn't worth the potential of rubbing my eyes hard someday down the line and having a flap tear back up. Nope, nope, nope. PRK doesn't have that downside, but I'm not in a situation where I can just take weeks off for recovery.

I get that. I discussed with my DR and a friend of mine who is a DR and just seemed like a pretty big non-issue. I'm past my contact-sport playing days. The outer edge of the flap does heal but the middle doesn't necessarily, so it will still take a decent amount of trauma to cause an issue. I'm not taking any extra precautions that I wouldn't normally take (wearing eye protection when mowing/weedeating etc).

I can tell you that the day I was allowed to rub my eyes (a week after surgery) was a glorious day though.

bomblord1

Banned
I can tell you that the day I was allowed to rub my eyes (a week after surgery) was a glorious day though.

image.php

SimplexPL

And they have a sale on.. Is there a list of which games don't work because of denuvo? Or would even those games work? Mainly thinking about edge of nowhere as I already have chronos and blaze rush which work fine

Always check here: https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki/Compatibility-list

Anyone tried Edge of Nowhere with Revive? Is it worth the $?

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/issues/138

LibreVR: The new Oculus Runtime removed the headset check from the DRM. You can now play Denuvo games without downgrading.

bomblord1

Banned
Is there any way to make a 360 controller do nothing in SteamVR but still work on the PC?

I had a brilliant idea yesterday that was ruined by this.

I've found that launching SteamVR and switching to desktop from the menu there is about 100x better than the virtual desktop I spent $15 on for everything but 360 video viewing. Mainly because I can uses the vive controller as a mouse pointer.

I had gone into the back of the room launched it and walked fairly close it so it looked like I had a 100+ inch screen and was going to play a game with the 360 controller that way. However hitting the buttons on the controller causes things to be selected in steam VR on top of the game on the desktop making it impossible to use. Every time I would hit A it would switch to something else

Zalusithix

Is there any way to make a 360 controller do nothing in SteamVR but still work on the PC?

I had a brilliant idea yesterday that was ruined by this.

I've found that launching SteamVR and switching to desktop from the menu there is about 100x better than the virtual desktop I spent $15 on for everything but 360 video viewing. Mainly because I can uses the vive controller as a mouse pointer.

What is your desktop resolution? I find the desktop SteamVR hub view totally useless. Unreadable, laggy garbage. You might not be able to use the Vive controllers (yet) in Virtual Desktop, but for actually being a desktop, it's a few orders of magnitude better than the desktop view in the SteamVR hub.

bomblord1

Banned
What is your desktop resolution? I find the desktop SteamVR hub view totally useless. Unreadable, laggy garbage. You might not be able to use the Vive controllers (yet) in Virtual Desktop, but for actually being a desktop, it's a few orders of magnitude better than the desktop view in the SteamVR hub.

2560x1080

And What I do is I step back as far as I can in the room to launch it and then walk close enough to it that it's comfortable enough to read.

Never had an issue with lag.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
oh damn just played spell fighter vr its free on steam this game just toppled vanishing realms for me for my melee weapon fix the sword play is damn good

What do you guys think of Hover Junkers? I'm thinking about picking it up since it is on sale. How is it?

its one of my top vr games really fun multiplayer game and they just recently added a single/coop wave mode thats really fun as well

Zalusithix

2560x1080

And What I do is I step back as far as I can in the room to launch it and then walk close enough to it that it's comfortable enough to read.

Never had an issue with lag.

The lack of vertical height might be a help there. With a desktop resolution of 2560X1600, I'm dealing with not only more pixels, but a considerably taller screen. Walking up to the screen doesn't help with reading it. With Virtual Desktop I can customize the screen size, distance, and have it wrap around me to keep the edges closer and thus readable while stationary.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bought final approach (which comes with pilot edition so no point buying the more expensive separate pilot edition) and House of the Dying Sun.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
just and FYI
Revive .62 now works with Pinball FX2 VR (or does again)

But a warning for any fans of PInball you can only setup controls for 360 controller no keyboard or pinbcab keyboard joystick controllers work..

The DMD has a really bad Moire effect. Its basically due to bulbs on dmd having black space around them like lights do on a real DMD ..but from a distance in VR the screen door effect of the Pixel displays cause a weird swimming shimmery effect.
Basically the worst aspects of Elite dangerous VR low settings is what you see.

I asked Ravarcade for FP VR if he could just make the DMD bulbs bigger so there's no gap between and he had a patch in a couple days that totally fixed the issue in Future Pinball.

Performance in PBFX2 VR is bad tho..I'm not sure how much overhead Revive causes but its always got Reprojection going to run it at all.
Its unfortunate you cant turn down the room effects to help but you end up with very ugly table turning all rendering and AA settings to low to try and eliminate..but there's still meteors and flames all around the room going on.

So surprisingly looks like tho i bought this one ..I won't really be able to use it till they patch some features(probably never) and I get a 1080(probably fall).

jaypah

FUCK YES!!! No Limit Coasters 2 was updated to work with OpenVR! I can't wait to get home and get back to riding my coasters in VR. Oh happy dayyy!

jotun?

I had my lasik done a few weeks ago. I had been considering it for a long while, but VR was the final motivation to get me to stop putting it off and just do it.

Man, my instructions said to wait a whole month

bomblord1

Banned
So Vanishing Realms seems to be locking up my PC. After getting the first key a few seconds later the game locks up and when I take the VR headset off my computer screen is blank with no signal and the computer is completely unresponsive (keyboard mouse etc do nothing). I've restarted the game and it happens consistently.

It's not a BSOD either and the computer itself continues to run (the fans are on the lights are on etc) until I hard reboot it.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Have you checked out lens implants? Very quick recovery:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phakic_intraocular_lens
It's a bit too pricy for me at the moment, but maybe someday.

Zalusithix

Have you checked out lens implants? Very quick recovery:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phakic_intraocular_lens
It's a bit too pricy for me at the moment, but maybe someday.

Not really a technique that'd be recommended for lower diopter correction, and beyond that isn't equipped to handle astigmatism. LASIK and PRK, especially wavefront guided, would have a better end result for me.

Turns out glasses aren't really that big of a deal with the Vive though, so there's no pressure for me to do anything radical. Tried going the contact route and that wasn't worth the hassle. Especially with the toric lens compromises. Gave up on them and dumped another ~$300 on fresh lenses and called it a day. The worst I have to deal with is the facial interface potentially lightly touching the lenses when I take the unit off. When the worst problem can be dealt with in seconds using a microfiber cloth, there's not much to complain about.

kenmid

Has anybody try NoLimits 2 Roller Coaster Simulation for the vive and if so how is it? I think I might go ahead pull the trigger on this game since on the steam summer sale, I know they just started vive support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom