• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to figure out a solution that would let me mount a hotas on my office chair in a similar position to the game, but it would also need to be easily removable so that I can push my chair under the desk and do room-scale stuff. So far I haven't found anything that looks promising, lots of very custom solutions out that people come up with. So for now it's the controller.

You can get these vesa mounts

http://m.imgur.com/a/8Uybw

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like it to me. Both the horizontal and vertical sweeping LEDs seem active in both base stations.

Have you tried switching locations of the two base stations to see if it is that particular position that gives bad tracking, or if the "bad" one from the first test would still give bad tracking in the opposite corner?
Not yet, that's my first move when I get home from work today. I'll try to take some decent pics of the full space too in case I'm missing something.

Glass

Spoke to PC world, my Vive is arriving tomorrow woop. They have over 150 in stock if anyone's had trouble tracking one down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so final approach:pilot edition is really just the same game but you fly the planes in to land rather than draw paths? I guess they built that for the Oculus Rift and just let vive owners play it too.

Its kind of fun but the camera is horrible. Fixed in third person - a first person cockpit view would have been nice, but if you turn too sharply the camera loses lock on you. and if you look too far to the side of the aircraft the camera suddenly becomes static, and then starts moving again when you look back to the aircraft. Considering you're often looking around to see the landing strip so you can get a good approach sorted, you're doing that all the time.

Hari Seldon

Ever since my 1070 came in I have been doing nothing but playing VR games lol. They patched IL-2 yet again, it is coming around but still too choppy and weird to recommend.

I tried subnautica using revive, I don't know what I think about it. I get a tiny bit queasy using the xbox controller to swim around.

Lucky's Tale using revive is pretty good though, my wife really liked it. Not a great VR game but well done in general. Surprised it was free. The Oculus store though is kind of dead compared to Steam.

One thing that I definitely need is some better headphones. Are there any good headphones that have a really short cord? I have audiophile grade headphones but the cord is way too long. I'm not sure what I think about wireless headphones and having to dick with windows to switch audio and what not. Do you just leave the headphone jack to the Vive station thing unplugged if you are using audio from a different source?

The way that the "notes" incoming speed can change also really screws with my rhythm. I get that there can be tempo changes, etc. but when you have a target moving at a near-constant speed, only to very quickly decelerate when it's slightly out of arms-reach can really screw up the flow of a song.

I know this throws a lot of people off, but I LOVE when it does that. Adds a little challenge and the pattern feels more connected to the song imo. There's another music game SoundDodger+ that does some similar things.

Ever since my 1070 came in I have been doing nothing but playing VR games lol. They patched IL-2 yet again, it is coming around but still too choppy and weird to recommend.

I tried subnautica using revive, I don't know what I think about it. I get a tiny bit queasy using the xbox controller to swim around.

Lucky's Tale using revive is pretty good though, my wife really liked it. Not a great VR game but well done in general. Surprised it was free. The Oculus store though is kind of dead compared to Steam.

One thing that I definitely need is some better headphones. Are there any good headphones that have a really short cord? I have audiophile grade headphones but the cord is way too long. I'm not sure what I think about wireless headphones and having to dick with windows to switch audio and what not. Do you just leave the headphone jack to the Vive station thing unplugged if you are using audio from a different source?

I can recommend v-JAYS for headphones. They sound great, they're light and the cord is short if you don't use the included extension. I prefer using these over my K7XX's and X2's for the lack of weight alone.

Zalusithix

Lucky's Tale using revive is pretty good though, my wife really liked it. Not a great VR game but well done in general. Surprised it was free.

It's only free because it was more or less treated as a bonus for purchasing a Rift. Oculus in their infinite foresight didn't think to send out a product activation code for it to Rift buyers, so as a byproduct Vive owners can access it using ReVive.

Yoritomo

I use Yuin PK2s for adults and Koss portaPros for people with ears too small to fit the Yuin earbuds.

koji kabuto

i can't believe Spell Fighter vr is free game? wow this game is by far the best VR experience i had.

Someone need to find the developer and offer him a job!

Hari Seldon

Yep, those ones. Ignore the heavy duty bass nonsense. It's not over powering, they have a very balanced sound. Really nice headphones for the price.

Ordered them. Won't be in till the end of July though. I liked the short chord length compared to the Koss. 60 cm vs 123 cm.

pj

Banned
so final approach:pilot edition is really just the same game but you fly the planes in to land rather than draw paths? I guess they built that for the Oculus Rift and just let vive owners play it too.

Its kind of fun but the camera is horrible. Fixed in third person - a first person cockpit view would have been nice, but if you turn too sharply the camera loses lock on you. and if you look too far to the side of the aircraft the camera suddenly becomes static, and then starts moving again when you look back to the aircraft. Considering you're often looking around to see the landing strip so you can get a good approach sorted, you're doing that all the time.

That is done intentionally and I think the reason is that lateral camera movement (e.g. plane moving straight, you looking 90 degress to the left or right) is a big nausea trigger. I normally just point the airplane roughly where I think the runway is, then reset the camera and make adjustments.

It seems you've already ordered, but for anyone else I would recommend sennheisers. Lots of their models have a removable cable and I ordered a fairly short one on ebay for cheap.

Trouble

Banned
You can get these vesa mounts

http://m.imgur.com/a/8Uybw

I've seen those (and several other similar solutions), but the won't work for me as my armrests are completely different. They really don't lend themselves to being good for mounting stuff to, they look like this:

Leap-Chart._V394124565__0.jpg

Edit: I did find this, which might work, but the mounts are $100 each. :eek:

SimplexPL

Ever since my 1070 came in I have been doing nothing One thing that I definitely need is some better headphones. Are there any good headphones that have a really short cord? I have audiophile grade headphones but the cord is way too long. I'm not sure what I think about wireless headphones and having to dick with windows to switch audio and what not. Do you just leave the headphone jack to the Vive station thing unplugged if you are using audio from a different source?

I am using Superlux HD681 EVO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CAG1ZAQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As you can see from the photos, they have a detachable cord. The "nub" that remains when you detach the cable is long just enough so that the vive audio cable fits. I am quite happy with that arrangement.

aePJ78Hh.jpg

Zalusithix

They actually did sell the parts briefly through their "enterprise" site before they cut off access to it. Was halfway tempted to nab a set of the facial interfaces while it was up. I don't see the point in VR covers if I can just buy a set of completely new interfaces relatively cheaply.

As an update to this, it appears HTC has some accessories available for purchase again. Just the interfaces and a short USB extension cable that I didn't see the first time around for headset accessories. Hopefully we'll see a return of the rest of the hardware soon.

SimplexPL

You can use xbox controller with any game which was designed to be used with a controller - roomscale games were designed for roomscale and vive controller. But most of Oculus games uses gamepad.

Moved my couch and got back into some VR today. Tried the target render multiplier at 2x and WOW, what a difference! Eeeverything looks better. No issues on my 980ti, but I'm going to play more this weekend to try to push it.

Tumle

Hey thought you guys might be able to help me with what VR settings you use in project cars?
When looking out in the distance it looks like I have double vision.. Is there anyway to make that better?
Also why does the the VR settings menu go to default every time you boot up the game again?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, I tried switching the lighthouses and as expected I guess since all the lights are working, that didn't change anything, they both seem to be functional, but with only one on (depending on which) the issue was either way amplified or reduced. Here are a couple pics of the setup, the room is basically square:
"Left" lighthouse:
KSNLm99.jpg

"Right" lighthouse:
7ST5BcE.jpg
So with just the left on one, the issue is there way more noticeably, but with just the right one on, it's way reduced. I should note that when operating with just the right one it isn't gone, and still happens every so often. If there's anything about my setup that I may not have taken into account or more pics/angles that would help, please let me know. Bear in mind I've tried covering up every remotely reflective object you can see here and it didn't change anything.

That's really what hinders my enjoyment, honestly. Granted, I'm a pretty musical person (piano, guitar) and have a good sense of rhythm, so maybe it's just exacerbated for me.

The way that the "notes" incoming speed can change also really screws with my rhythm. I get that there can be tempo changes, etc. but when you have a target moving at a near-constant speed, only to very quickly decelerate when it's slightly out of arms-reach can really screw up the flow of a song.

I'm really hoping they add user-created tabs/note layouts, as the beat detection algorithm can only do so much. I feel like it could be really killer -- basically VRs version of DDR, or Rock Band/Rocksmith/Guitar Hero, but there's definitely some rhythm/timing issues really holding it back.

Or maybe it's only obvious if you've played an instrument? I get the same feeling playing certain songs as I would if I played an instrument off-beat. Not impossible, but definitely not enjoyable.

For me, the trick was to stop playing it as a rhythm game per se, and instead treat it as a "stop the randomly generated orbs from hitting you, some of which may arrive in time to music," game.

Mind you, I don't think audioshield is all that fun. I think I'd actually enjoy it more if it was all one color.

kinggroin

Banned
So, I tried switching the lighthouses and as expected I guess since all the lights are working, that didn't change anything, they both seem to be functional, but with only one on (depending on which) the issue was either way amplified or reduced. Here are a couple pics of the setup, the room is basically square:

So with just the left on one, the issue is there way more noticeably, but with just the right one on, it's way reduced. I should note that when operating with just the right one it isn't gone, and still happens every so often. If there's anything about my setup that I may not have taken into account or more pics/angles that would help, please let me know. Bear in mind I've tried covering up every remotely reflective object you can see here and it didn't change anything.

Remove the framed glass pictures.

Bubba77

I want to figure out a solution that would let me mount a hotas on my office chair in a similar position to the game, but it would also need to be easily removable so that I can push my chair under the desk and do room-scale stuff. So far I haven't found anything that looks promising, lots of very custom solutions out that people come up with. So for now it's the controller.

I just got my rift/saitek x52. What I did was buy one of those "laptop lap desks". I hought the honey can do branded one from amazon. It sits perfectly in my lap and the throttle and joystick stay on the "lap desk" due to the suction cups. I love it. Works great.

Lurch666

Maybe a long shot but I found out the other day that if I use my vive at the same time as my wife is using her bluetooth speakers in the kitchen next door to where I vive my tracking was messing up AND the sound through her speakers was intermittent.I also have a smartwatch using bluetooth and maybe all the signals were messing each other up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
<3
I can't help you with your troubles Hawk, but I really hope a solution will present itself soon :/
Thanks. Feel like I've finally made a tiny bit of progress after lots of nothing, so hopefully getting there.
Maybe a long shot but I found out the other day that if I use my vive at the same time as my wife is using her bluetooth speakers in the kitchen next door to where I vive my tracking was messing up AND the sound through her speakers was intermittent.I also have a smartwatch using bluetooth and maybe all the signals were messing each other up.
Huhhh wow, this is the first I've heard of anything like this. I have all KINDS of bluetooth stuff going all over the place. One more variable to try, thanks.

For me, the trick was to stop playing it as a rhythm game per se, and instead treat it as a "stop the randomly generated orbs from hitting you, some of which may arrive in time to music," game.

Mind you, I don't think audioshield is all that fun. I think I'd actually enjoy it more if it was all one color.

Heh, well, if we're not playing it as a rhythm game then I can certainly say it's the least fun VR game I've played. :p

I really, really want it to be a killer music game, but having everything slightly out-of-sync (or the notes being generated by random layers of the song -- inconsistent with the beat or instruments) really does kill things for me. I should've said earlier that this is me playing it on the hardest difficulty as well, so it's not like there's a lack of notes (depending on the song, quite the contrary!). It's just that they never really match the rhythm, which is a bit of a buzzkill.

Others seem to enjoy it though (and others that have played it in here liked it as well) so, like I said, maybe I'm just more sensitive to the lack of musicality due to having a more musical background.

cakefoo

Heh, well, if we're not playing it as a rhythm game then I can certainly say it's the least fun VR game I've played. :p

I really, really want it to be a killer music game, but having everything slightly out-of-sync (or the notes being generated by random layers of the song -- inconsistent with the beat or instruments) really does kill things for me. I should've said earlier that this is me playing it on the hardest difficulty as well, so it's not like there's a lack of notes (depending on the song, quite the contrary!). It's just that they never really match the rhythm, which is a bit of a buzzkill.

Others seem to enjoy it though (and others that have played it in here liked it as well) so, like I said, maybe I'm just more sensitive to the lack of musicality due to having a more musical background.
Just back out of a song if it doesn't feel right. That's what I do (I have a musical background and play on hardest too). It's not like they're ALL bad. You will find good ones.

It sucks a little that they can't all be good, but imo it's a better scenario than having a relatively small library of generic, overplayed radio hits.

Just back out of a song if it doesn't feel right. That's what I do (I have a musical background and play on hardest too). It's not like they're ALL bad. You will find good ones.

It sucks a little that they can't all be good, but imo it's a better scenario than having a relatively small library of generic, overplayed radio hits.

Yeah, but even that's kind of flawed. Due to the random nature of the song's "map" generation, no playthrough is 100% the same. A song could have a good layout one time, and a terrible one the next.

The only real solution is to allow for user-created song maps (or maybe some kind of map voting, like "this random layout was good, I'm rating it up"). I don't know if that'll happen, but I really, really, really hope it does. Otherwise it's kind of a game of luck to find something that plays decently (but not amazingly) and after you're done playing that song, you get to repeat the process.

EDIT: I don't want it to sound like I'm overly criticizing it -- when it works well it's really fun. It just so happens that there's a disproportionate amount of time that it's not working well that really hinders my overall enjoyment of the game. It makes it frustrating to get small glimpses of what it could be, especially as that version of the game could be something really special.

cakefoo

Yeah, but even that's kind of flawed. Due to the random nature of the song's "map" generation, no playthrough is 100% the same. A song could have a good layout one time, and a terrible one the next.

The only real solution is to allow for user-created song maps (or maybe some kind of map voting, like "this random layout was good, I'm rating it up"). I don't know if that'll happen, but I really, really, really hope it does. Otherwise it's kind of a game of luck to find something that plays decently (but not amazingly) and after you're done playing that song, you get to repeat the process.

EDIT: I don't want it to sound like I'm overly criticizing it -- when it works well it's really fun. It just so happens that there's a disproportionate amount of time that it's not working well that really hinders my overall enjoyment of the game. It makes it frustrating to get small glimpses of what it could be, especially as that version of the game could be something really special.
Totally agree :)

On an unrelated note (no pun intended), I got a Leap Motion. My PC wouldn't recognize it plugged in the headset USB, so I plugged in the longest cable directly. I booted up the blocks game, and dammit! The usb cable was two or three inches too short for me to reach a block. :mad: I could just re-run room setup for a smaller space, but I got a taste of the tracking fidelity and wasn't that impressed.

Paganmoon

<3

Thanks. Feel like I've finally made a tiny bit of progress after lots of nothing, so hopefully getting there.

Huhhh wow, this is the first I've heard of anything like this. I have all KINDS of bluetooth stuff going all over the place. One more variable to try, thanks.

Have you tried re-running the room setup after you've covered up the reflective surfaces?

Totally agree :)

On an unrelated note (no pun intended), I got a Leap Motion. My PC wouldn't recognize it plugged in the headset USB, so I plugged in the longest cable directly. I booted up the blocks game, and dammit! The usb cable was two or three inches too short for me to reach a block. :mad: I could just re-run room setup for a smaller space, but I got a taste of the tracking fidelity and wasn't that impressed.

I toyed around with the Leap Motion SDK once and it seems there have been big improvements in tracking over their lifetime. Might be that some games work with older SDKs. Or maybe it isn't so impressive, I haven't had too much time with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just got my rift/saitek x52. What I did was buy one of those "laptop lap desks". I hought the honey can do branded one from amazon. It sits perfectly in my lap and the throttle and joystick stay on the "lap desk" due to the suction cups. I love it. Works great.

I'm guessing autocorrect failed you. What brand was it? Dos it fit ok if you have an offic chair with arm rests? I think that would be a good solution for me - the nature of a HOTAS system means you usually have both hands on so it should stop it flying off your lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom