• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have random crashes where for a brief moment it takes you back the the SteamVR hub briefly before the Vive shuts off. I go back to my desktop and Steam and SteamVR are both closed, no error messages pop up or anything. Any suggestions?

Paganmoon

Just played through the Apollo 11 VR game, really inspiring stuff. Definite chills.

It's a great experience, though I really do hope they up the textures for the Earth and Moon. They're really low res.
Edit: well, actually I got a reply to my suggestion about the textures from someone on their team, and he mentioned they're high res, just really stretched (which sort of defeats his point I would think).

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I just finished Ethan Carter VR. I know everyone hates controller locomotion, but I did enjoy the game. Luckily playing with a controller doesn't make me sick.

Looking for last minute bargains in the steam sale.
Has anyone bought SubNautica? And if so does it play nicely with the VIVE?

Doesn't officially support the Vive, but according to the Revive wiki it will work with Revive. I haven't tried it, though.

I've played it with Revive when Revive had its first release. It was pretty rough. I have yet to try it since. It had a couple bugs that stopped progression randomly and the pop-in was pretty terrible (it would stutter every time things would pop-in).

I'm willing it give it another go and let you know.

EDIT: I just updated my revive injector and Subnautica. It is not launching properly at all for me. I'm sure I can get it working again eventually but like I said, it was pretty dang rough.

Doesn't officially support the Vive, but according to the Revive wiki it will work with Revive. I haven't tried it, though.

I just finished Ethan Carter VR. I know everyone hates controller locomotion, but I did enjoy the game. Luckily playing with a controller doesn't make me sick.

I've played it with Revive when Revive had its first release. It was pretty rough. I have yet to try it since. It had a couple bugs that stopped progression randomly and the pop-in was pretty terrible (it would stutter every time things would pop-in).

I'm willing it give it another go and let you know.

EDIT: I just updated my revive injector and Subnautica. It is not launching properly at all for me. I'm sure I can get it working again eventually but like I said, it was pretty dang rough.

Thanks for the input.
Decided against it for now.
Bought The Solus Project, HordeZ and Out of Ammo instead.
Damn these sales:)

Zalusithix

Fun with VIVE-

I 3-D printed some cradles,applied magnetic USB cable for some homemade charge dock action!

Files and instructions here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1578783

Given how clean that print looked, I thought you might have done some chemical dissolving of the outer layer, but it looks like you're one of the few with a SLA printer. Some day I'll have one, but for now they're too expensive for the limited print volume.

That said, those were on my agenda to make eventually. Eventually being the key word, because surprisingly enough I'm not that annoyed by plugging in the USB after each session.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
3d printing accessories for your virtual reality machine sounds like something we wouldn't have been talking about doing until the future

kinggroin

Banned
Just dial everything to low and go from there.. every track is different. I'd say one of the especially important things is to turn down is the amount of ai cars, unfortunately.

Oh, and turn down the resolution on the monitor window.

You're probably going to end up reprojecting a lot anyhow.

Where do I change the resolution for the spectating window on my desktop?

Defect

I just got Tabletop Sim, Project Cars, Elite Dangerous, and Brookhaven.

I really want Hover Junkers but... No more monies

Glass

Just wanting to make sure I'm using my Vive correctly, quality wise is everything a little blurry except for when you get really close up to something? Whenever text instructions appear i.e 'Follow the instructions on your desktop' it's never 100% in focus for me. Is that just VR and my expectations need adjusting instead of my eyes?

Paganmoon

Just wanting to make sure I'm using my Vive correctly, quality wise is everything a little blurry except for when you get really close up to something? Whenever text instructions appear i.e 'Follow the instructions on your desktop' it's never 100% in focus for me. Is that just VR and my expectations need adjusting instead of my eyes?

You probably need to position the HMD better, try moving it around, just slightly when there's text on screen, and see if the text gets any clearer. Also, don't forget to adjust IPD (the little knob on the right side of your HMD). You can either try to just adjust it and see where it feels best (this is a bit tricky though to guess your IPD), or you can use this guide:
http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

You'll need a ruler to follow it though.

Glass

You probably need to position the HMD better, try moving it around, just slightly when there's text on screen, and see if the text gets any clearer. Also, don't forget to adjust IPD (the little knob on the right side of your HMD). You can either try to just adjust it and see where it feels best (this is a bit tricky though to guess your IPD), or you can use this guide:
http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

You'll need a ruler to follow it though.

Many thanks, looking forward to trying this out.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Rec Room is such a gem, can't believe it's free.

I love VR. After 2 months with the Vive, I can definitely tell it's a part of our future,

that specific instruction for roomscale setup is super blurry, for some reason.

you should be able to see the individual screen pixels if everything's in focus. white backgrounds are easiest.

Spyware

I sort of set up my Vive last night just to make sure I tried it before the return period ended and to see if I wanted something from the sale if it worked. I was unsure if it would work for me because I can pretty much just see colored fuzzy shapes with my left eye. I had heard VR usually works well for people with one bad eye but not always and was really scared I would never get to experience good VR.
So the sloppy set up was pretty much just throwing those lighthouses up on some shelves, updating everything and try the tutorial thing. And it all worked great! Looked way better than I thought it would and my bad eye didn't bother me at all. I usualy wear glasses for my better eye but I didn't need them either. Got a bit worried at first tho because I couldn't find a good position for the HMD but it all sorted itself when I switched to the narrow face thingy.
I'm so relieved and happy that I can't really find words for it. Woooh!

FSLink

Banned
Thanks! I usually use the galaxy background (with the holodeck door as environment), but just want to look at different backgrounds every now and then. Even these simple backgrounds can give quite the presence.

I mostly love the original "This is real" thing because of everyone's reactions when they put the headset on for the first time. "WHOA IS THAT A MOON? This is real?"

Durante

Other games that I've played and enjoyed since I've got my Vive last week are Audioshield, Holodance, The Gallery, Pierhead Arcade, Final Approach, Apollo 11 VR, Cloudlands Vr: Minigolf, HordeZ, Vanishing Realms and Mind: Path to Talamus.

I've heard people swear by Battle Dome and Hover Junkers, but they didn't make it for me. I'm planning to try Snow Fortress though (even if's not on sale), as it seems right about my alley and I got good feedback about the game in another forum recently.

My top games for the Vive right now are:

Experience: Apollo 11 VR
Adventure Game: The Gallery
Rythm Game/ Exercise Game: Audioshield
Local Multiplayer: A tie between Pierhead Arcade and Felt Tip Circus
Shooter: HordeZ
Survival Game: Solus
Game that makes you feel more like Reverend Lovejoy: Final Approach
How good was that on Vive? I'm considering it.

Edit: scratch that. It's 1.79€, I'll just buy it.

SomTervo

Thanks for the input.
Decided against it for now.
Bought The Solus Project, HordeZ and Out of Ammo instead.
Damn these sales:)

The Solus Project - $15.99 => Really beautiful survival. Playing with a 1080 and a SS 2, it stutters though. Good for long, immersive séances of gameplay, so one of the "real" games available right now for the Vive.

Other games that I've played and enjoyed since I've got my Vive last week are Audioshield, Holodance, The Gallery, Pierhead Arcade, Final Approach, Apollo 11 VR, Cloudlands Vr: Minigolf, HordeZ, Vanishing Realms and Mind: Path to Talamus.

I've heard people swear by Battle Dome and Hover Junkers, but they didn't make it for me. I'm planning to try Snow Fortress though (even if's not on sale), as it seems right about my alley and I got good feedback about the game in another forum recently.

My top games for the Vive right now are:

Experience: Apollo 11 VR
Adventure Game: The Gallery
Rythm Game/ Exercise Game: Audioshield
Local Multiplayer: A tie between Pierhead Arcade and Felt Tip Circus
Shooter: HordeZ
Survival Game: Solus
Game that makes you feel more like Reverend Lovejoy: Final Approach

Fantastic rundown, thanks for this.

Also, I'm helping the Solus Project's team with their scripts, voice acting and PR.

Thanks for supporting the game, guys! Pop over to the OT and ask questions/give suggestions if you have any. We get the occasional really angry VR review where people say the implementation is just the worst - while others seem to have no problem with it at all.

I don't see many people talking about it, but The FOO Show is my favorite VR experience. It's basically a talk show. The first episode is an interview with a couple of Firewatch devs, and it lets you walk around the watch tower from the game, picking up and looking at assets while they talk about the game. Huuuuge potential in the concept.

sn00zer

Ok....ugh.....how much does this cost if Im starting from ground zero. As in no gaming PC. Also is Unity, Blender, and Photoshop enough to get me started if I wanted to mess around in making a low poly game?

Durante

Ok....ugh.....how much does this cost if Im starting from ground zero. As in no gaming PC. Also is Unity, Blender, and Photoshop enough to get me started if I wanted to mess around in making a low poly game?
The minimum in terms of hardware (not the absolute minimum, but the minimum I'd recommend) is probably around $1600 now (800 for the Vive, 800 for the PC).

All the software you need to make a normal VR game is free, the expensive part there is time ;)

jaypah

Is there any in-game documentation on how to reload the pistol in Spell Fighter VR? I know that it can be reloaded and that there's a cooldown on it but I can't figure out how to do it and I'm currently getting my ass handed to me so the extra few shots would help.

sn00zer

The minimum in terms of hardware (not the absolute minimum, but the minimum I'd recommend) is probably around $1600 now (800 for the Vive, 800 for the PC).

All the software you need to make a normal VR game is free, the expensive part there is time ;)

If $800 PC is min what is your recommended mid level cost? Would an extra $400 help? Thinking in my head total cost is around 2 grand.

EDIT: Also glad to see most of the software is free. Any link to program lists to get started?

Durante

If $800 PC is min what is your recommended mid level cost? Would an extra $400 help? Thinking in my head total cost is around 2 grand.
Sure, you can pump any extra cash into more GPU power. You can't have too much GPU for VR.

EDIT: Also glad to see most of the software is free. Any link to program lists to get started?
Well, I'd start with UE4 and Blender. Both of those are just a googling away.
(Don't do textures, use procedural materials, they look better in VR anyway ;))

Had my first Vive experience today - full play space with lighthouses, etc.

Only 5 minutes - I got the shipwreck / sharks / fish demo, and a go on the 3d painting.

Mind-blowingly immersive. (my last VR experience was the OR rollercoaster 100 years ago). Freaking amazing looking around in 3d space and "seeing" the controllers sat there on the table waiting to be picked up.

Found the screen door noticeable on "plain" backgrounds, not when there were complex things like sharks.

I get why the oni walking pad thing is good - I wanted to walk and explore so much more than the lighthouse would allow.

I want one desperately. But I don't want one £689 :( If Blizz announce Wow 2: VR MMO, I'll be there day one though.

sn00zer

Sure, you can pump any extra cash into more GPU power. You can't have too much GPU for VR.

Thanks....now to figure out if I can fit it in my budget.

EDIT: I think I'll go with Unity as I have at least a little experience with that and I want to just mess around with visually simple games and a lot of UE4 seems based around shaders and such unless I am reading that completely wrong.

SimplexPL

What are your experiences with supersampling on non-reference 1080? (OCed to around 2088, which is sort of "Pascal OC wall") There is Google sheet that originated on reddit, but the result there vary a lot - many people claim that some absurdly high supersampling multipliers work for them, what in reality probably is reprojected.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_9A7sk1HP5quikdcCoNV1KPBWMic4DqTUOWV4BsrS3A/edit#gid=0

I know, that it also varies from game to game, but I guess a 1.5 should be a safe value for 1080. Any thoughts?

Onemic

What worked for me was playing it standing and only using the left stick to move forward/back/strafe. Turns it into a pseudo roomscale game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seems like there is no eliminating my jittery skippy issue completely. It's very variable to the point where I almost think it has to be performance, even though otherwise performance feels like literally flawless.

Unfortunately it happens a whole lot in Job Simulator even with what I thought was the "problem" lighthouse totally disconnected. I've also tried repositioning the lighthouses all over the place, down on shelves instead of the mounts, etc, and no real change felt. So in some sense I'm back to square one. :( Feel like I've tried everything possible except covering back up all the reflective stuff and then re-running room setup... maybe tomorrow *sigh*

really wish I had some way of easily demoing or explaining the issue so that I could understand if I was just missing something obviously wrong or if it's obviously just performance.

Oh well, the good news is that in my current setup, some games/demos exhibit the issue pretty infrequently to the point where they can be enjoyed and I'd feel comfortable demoing it to other people. I will make do and try to review it without taking this thing into account.
I sort of set up my Vive last night just to make sure I tried it before the return period ended and to see if I wanted something from the sale if it worked. I was unsure if it would work for me because I can pretty much just see colored fuzzy shapes with my left eye. I had heard VR usually works well for people with one bad eye but not always and was really scared I would never get to experience good VR.
So the sloppy set up was pretty much just throwing those lighthouses up on some shelves, updating everything and try the tutorial thing. And it all worked great! Looked way better than I thought it would and my bad eye didn't bother me at all. I usualy wear glasses for my better eye but I didn't need them either. Got a bit worried at first tho because I couldn't find a good position for the HMD but it all sorted itself when I switched to the narrow face thingy.
I'm so relieved and happy that I can't really find words for it. Woooh!
I was blown away when closing one eye- as one would do naturally to say, aim a bow an arrow, just worked the way it would in actual reality. I sort of expected that to mess up the illusion, but nope.

artsi

VR is officially here as Vive is now available from retailers in my country.

I'm still going to wait a bit more for some new games before re-purchasing it, but it's nice.
Especially not having to deal with HTC's support or RMA process.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems like there is no eliminating my jittery skippy issue completely. It's very variable to the point where I almost think it has to be performance, even though otherwise performance feels like literally flawless.

Unfortunately it happens a whole lot in Job Simulator even with what I thought was the "problem" lighthouse totally disconnected. I've also tried repositioning the lighthouses all over the place, down on shelves instead of the mounts, etc, and no real change felt. So in some sense I'm back to square one. :( Feel like I've tried everything possible except covering back up all the reflective stuff and then re-running room setup... maybe tomorrow *sigh*

really wish I had some way of easily demoing or explaining the issue so that I could understand if I was just missing something obviously wrong or if it's obviously just performance.

Oh well, the good news is that in my current setup, some games/demos exhibit the issue pretty infrequently to the point where they can be enjoyed and I'd feel comfortable demoing it to other people. I will make do and try to review it without taking this thing into account.

I was blown away when closing one eye- as one would do naturally to say, aim a bow an arrow, just worked the way it would in actual reality. I sort of expected that to mess up the illusion, but nope.

job simulator is quite CPU heavy with all the physics etc. So it could be performance. Where are you located just in case anyone might be close enough to you to maybe loan you their lighthouses for a short time for troubleshooting?

Sorry if it's been mentioned before (haven't read back through all the comments), but you have removed the plastic protector from the lighthouse face?
I know it's obvious, but I've seen this happen before!

Hari Seldon

Looking for last minute bargains in the steam sale.
Has anyone bought SubNautica? And if so does it play nicely with the VIVE?

I did. You have to enable experimental mode and use revive. I don't know what I think about it. It is another survival style game and I don't know what I am doing lol. It made me a little bit queasy but not too bad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
job simulator is quite CPU heavy with all the physics etc. So it could be performance. Where are you located just in case anyone might be close enough to you to maybe loan you their lighthouses for a short time for troubleshooting?
My cpu is just a little above the required, an i5-4960k at 3.9. Is this holding me back from basic performance with the Vive you think?

I'm in south FL.
Sorry if it's been mentioned before (haven't read back through all the comments), but you have removed the plastic protector from the lighthouse face?
I know it's obvious, but I've seen this happen before!
Yeah, I did that :(

Any good options for extending the length of the linkbox and headset cables? Would be nice to try setting up in another room and see if that makes the difference, without having to move my PC out of my office...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My cpu is just a little above the required, an i5-4960k at 3.9. Is this holding me back from basic performance with the Vive you think?

I'm in south FL.

I was ok with a 3570k at 4GHz and GTX970 OC for a while until I upgraded, so you should be fine, assuming nothing is running in the background sucking up any power? Weird and its a shame you still haven't got it properly fixed.

I'm in south FL.

I have an i5 3570k@2.4 but i have SSDs and a new MSI GTX 1070 OC and everything seems fine for me so far. I had my first crash last night but that was because i only have 8GB and ran out of memory playing with the "Dimensions" tool. I should have 16GB by the weekend and i'll be upgrading mobo, cpu and ram in a few months.

Have you tried the Vive or Occulus PC Performance tools? MY GTX 670 held me back for Vive but CPU & GFX held me back from Occulus.

What diagonal distance is between the Lighthouses/basestations?
Have you tried connecting them via the sync-cable?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

How are things looking for multi-GPU in VR with UE4? Is it possible to build something multi-GPU-friendly by avoiding troublesome effects, etc?

I actually picked up some Udemy courses for UE4 and Blender, but it'll be a while before I get to that point. Lots of internal stuff to build first.

Edit: multi-GPU, not necessarily SLI.

Daheza

Bought and played a bunch of games with friends and family over the weekend.

*The Brookhaven Experiment*
Good demo, shows some promise has an upgrade path system for your gun. Definitely gave some Killing Floor vibes.
Some people got really freaked out playing it, but people who are more accustomed to gaming had no issues.There were some bugs with the upgrade path but definitively shows promise for the full game.

*A Chair in a Room: Greenwater*
Had some issues with items bugging out and going through other things. At one point we couldnt pick up an item that we needed in order to advance. If there were an option for showing a clue, or somehow highlighting what is next would be helpful.

*The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed*
I loved the inventory system in this game it felt really natural. The teleportation felt a little awkward when compared to other games who are doing it better (ex budget cuts, the lab). The environment was really well created and the story telling really adds depth to the game.

*Pool Nation VR*
I thought I was going to love this one but really couldn't get a handle of the controls.
I will be giving it another shot in the future. Throwing the bar bottles around the bar was the best part.

*Ruckus Ridge VR Party*
This game is so close to what I want to be able to do with a VR headset.
I love that you can have people on a couch playing against someone in a headset.
The issues with this game however are the lack of variety in the minigames.
The art style doesn't help the game any. I wish it were possible to add workshop support to this game.
It would be awesome to switch the models out and to perhaps add differents maps.

*Spell Fighter VR*
Didnt really like this one. Couldnt figure out how to get the voice commands for the spells to work.
Tried to use the spellbook to create the spells and they didnt wow me.

*Waltz of the Wizard*
This one was really amazing. I love all the small little tricks they added. Shootings the clock, shooting the giant in the eye. I only wish this was expanded into a full game.

SimplexPL

*The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed*
I loved the inventory system in this game it felt really natural. The teleportation felt a little awkward when compared to other games who are doing it better (ex budget cuts, the lab).

Teleportation is quite customizable, did you check the option? Targeting with your head is a bit awkward, but you can switch to more "classical" targeting with the controller.

*A Chair in a Room: Greenwater*
Had some issues with items bugging out and going through other things. At one point we couldnt pick up an item that we needed in order to advance. If there were an option for showing a clue, or somehow highlighting what is next would be helpful.

I'm playing through this and I've had a similar experience. Sometimes I can't tell if the game broke or I'm missing something. Currently, I'm stuck on a swan boat with zero interactive anything and I'm pretty sure some scripting broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom