• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
$46 left on my steam credit. Steam sale ends soon. What should I buy, if any?

Thrill of the Fight - $7.99
HoopsVR - $8.49
V ARRR - $15
Cosmic Trip - $13.49
The Solus Project - $15.99
Kodon - $16.99
Polynomial II - $8.94
Valiant - $13.39
Zen Blade - $10.49
Zombie Training Simulator - $13.39
Modbox - $14.99
Bowslinger - $6.69
Felt Tip Circus - $6.39
Ruckus Ridge VR Party - $9.99
Marble Mountain - $4.99
SculptrVR - $15.99
A Chair in a Room - $19.99
Crystal Rift - $4.99
Bazaar - $3.49
Volo Airsport - $8.70

Full Price Out of Ammo - $15
Full Price H3 - $20

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like bowslinger but it is a little light on content. It has a couple of fun challenge modes and I like how it feels to shoot the arrows.

Out of ammo is likely to go up in price soon and it generally has good impressions but it is a little early

Anybody have any idea what this is?

7oMtnlQ.jpg

It came with the Vive and have always wondered. It probably says in the instructions, but hoping someone can save me the hassle.

Paganmoon

Anybody have any idea what this is?

It came with the Vive and have always wondered. It probably says in the instructions, but hoping someone can save me the hassle.

think that's an adhesive to keep the breakout box stationary, as in, it goes under the breakout box (after removing the plastic)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
think that's an adhesive to keep the breakout box stationary, as in, it goes under the breakout box (after removing the plastic)

It also loses grip pretty damn quickly as the cables are constantly pulling on the breakout box. I've ended up with a heavy book on mine.

HoopsVR - $8.49
V ARRR - $15
Cosmic Trip - $13.49
Kodon - $16.99
Polynomial II - $8.94
Valiant - $13.39
Zen Blade - $10.49
Modbox - $14.99
Bowslinger - $6.69
Felt Tip Circus - $6.39
Marble Mountain - $4.99
SculptrVR - $15.99
Crystal Rift - $4.99
Bazaar - $3.49
Volo Airsport - $8.70

Full Price H3 - $20

I know it's a tough decision to buy a full priced game when there are a bunch of other games on sale but I figure it's worth giving my opinion in the event that you end up with $15 left over after buying what you want from the sale.

I recommend Out of Ammo as it's my favorite VR game I've played and the one I always find myself coming back to due to how much I enjoy the moment to moment gameplay. I definitely recommend checking out some gameplay videos if possible.

If you enjoy traditional Tower Defense games then this is the game for you.

I'm not sure how much "replay value" means to you, but I've found this game to have alot of it thanks to the nature of Tower Defense games and the way that you play for as long as you last, and then try again :p

Trouble

Banned
I'm guessing autocorrect failed you. What brand was it? Dos it fit ok if you have an offic chair with arm rests? I think that would be a good solution for me - the nature of a HOTAS system means you usually have both hands on so it should stop it flying off your lap.

My big concern about that is that the stick and throttle end up practically next to each other in your lap. That seems like it would get uncomfortable after a while.

I'm also not sure how my brain would handle the disconnect of the stick and throttle being in different places than I see them in VR. With a controller my brain isn't trying to make the connection. I have the same concern about wheels, for instance in Euro/American Truck Sims the wheel does the full 2 1/2 rotations lock to lock, so it won't match up with a physical wheel.

Zalusithix

<3

Thanks. Feel like I've finally made a tiny bit of progress after lots of nothing, so hopefully getting there.

Huhhh wow, this is the first I've heard of anything like this. I have all KINDS of bluetooth stuff going all over the place. One more variable to try, thanks.

On the bright side we know this is problem is location related now, and not something from a faulty lighthouse.

In regards to BT, it's not so much the lighthouses but the linkbox that's susceptible to RF interference as far as I can tell. One member got a Frankenstein linkbox sent to him by Valve because his proximity to a radio station tower caused the tracking to outright quit when the tower was in operation. Given your issue happens more with the lighthouse that's closer to the linkbox than the further one, that doesn't seem to be the case here though. At least not intuitively.

In a similar train of thought though, assuming the lighthouse is on the computer below the desk, the desk itself can act as a shield to the left lighthouse. For the hell of it, move the computer/linkbox out of the hutch as much as possible to get a clear LOS to both lighthouses. Doesn't seem like that should do anything, but we're at the "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" phase.

Also try rotating the lighthouses so they're not level with the ground and the sweeps will go diagonally across the room. Does this change anything about the nature of the problem?

Another thing to try would be placing the left lighthouse on the ground or the stand near it and see if that helps.

It also loses grip pretty damn quickly as the cables are constantly pulling on the breakout box. I've ended up with a heavy book on mine.

Mine stay as if glued, and I have to really peel at it to get it to loosen. Cables get ripped out of the box before it moves an inch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My big concern about that is that the stick and throttle end up practically next to each other in your lap. That seems like it would get uncomfortable after a while.

I'm also not sure how my brain would handle the disconnect of the stick and throttle being in different places than I see them in VR. With a controller my brain isn't trying to make the connection. I have the same concern about wheels, for instance in Euro/American Truck Sims the wheel does the full 2 1/2 rotations lock to lock, so it won't match up with a physical wheel.

For wheels though you can often configure them in game or in the wheel drivers to limit rotation. You'd need a 900-1080 degree wheel though

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have you tried re-running the room setup after you've covered up the reflective surfaces?
Ehh no. Damnit. It was a huge pain covering everything up, but I guess if I can't get anywhere else I can revisit that.
In a similar train of thought though, assuming the lighthouse is on the computer below the desk, the desk itself can act as a shield to the left lighthouse. For the hell of it, move the computer/linkbox out of the hutch as much as possible to get a clear LOS to both lighthouses. Doesn't seem like that should do anything, but we're at the "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" phase.
Sorry I'm a little confused here. We want the Lighthouses to have LOS of the linkbox itself?
Also try rotating the lighthouses so they're not level with the ground and the sweeps will go diagonally across the room. Does this change anything about the nature of the problem?

Another thing to try would be placing the left lighthouse on the ground or the stand near it and see if that helps.
Thanks, yeah, trying out a bunch of different positions for the left one is next on my list when I get home in about an hour. At this point I'd be happy to get it to the point where it's just happening at the lesser frequency as if just the right one is on, but with both active so the tracking doesn't get lost.

Zalusithix

Sorry I'm a little confused here. We want the Lighthouses to have LOS of the linkbox itself?

More or less. I'm assuming the linkbox right now is under the desk and the desk is thus between the box and the lighthouse. Contrasting this to the lighthouse at the far side where there's nothing between them. It's a shot in the dark, and not one that I really expect to work, but it's easy enough to do. Effectively running on a mindset of "what differences exist between these two corners" Short of the relative computer/linkbox position, and the pictures on the wall, I'm not seeing much. Lighthouse height difference going by the ceiling, but that shouldn't impact things, especially when treated as isolated corners.

One other thing that might be worth trying is turning your monitors off if you haven't already. You're facing that direction when using that lighthouse, but facing away from them when using the other. I wouldn't expect a monitor to interfere, but I suppose the possibility exists. Particularly if they're a low persistence strobing model. A remote chance that a monitor backlight strobe could be confused for a lighthouse sync pulse which would cause all sorts of havok.

Glass

So I'm trying to set my Vive up, and the controllers are taking it in turns to have the blue light. Controller X with be fine, and Y will get the blue light. If I turn off controller X, and turn on controller Y, suddenly Y is fine, and X gets the blue light next time I turn it on.

There's a prompt to update firmware which I did, and it's stuck at 2/5, and now I'm reading online I shouldn't have run it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
More or less. I'm assuming the linkbox right now is under the desk and the desk is thus between the box and the lighthouse. Contrasting this to the lighthouse at the far side where there's nothing between them. It's a shot in the dark, and not one that I really expect to work, but it's easy enough to do. Effectively running on a mindset of "what differences exist between these two corners" Short of the relative computer/linkbox position, and the pictures on the wall, I'm not seeing much. Lighthouse height difference going by the ceiling, but that shouldn't impact things, especially when treated as isolated corners.

One other thing that might be worth trying is turning your monitors off if you haven't already. You're facing that direction when using that lighthouse, but facing away from them when using the other. I wouldn't expect a monitor to interfere, but I suppose the possibility exists. Particularly if they're a low persistence strobing model. A remote chance that a monitor backlight strobe could be confused for a lighthouse sync pulse which would cause all sorts of havok.

But the lighthouses don't communicate with the lighthouses except for on/off via Bluetooth so that shouldn't matter. I assume the poster has already turned Bluetooth off and is just using the lighthouses manually to remove any possibility that BT might cause a problem.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gonna try some stuffs now
So I'm trying to set my Vive up, and the controllers are taking it in turns to have the blue light. Controller X with be fine, and Y will get the blue light. If I turn off controller X, and turn on controller Y, suddenly Y is fine, and X gets the blue light next time I turn it on.

There's a prompt to update firmware which I did, and it's stuck at 2/5, and now I'm reading online I shouldn't have run it?
Hmm, try to right click the controller that isn't lighting up in the SteamVR window and click Pair
But the lighthouses don't communicate with the lighthouses except for on/off via Bluetooth so that shouldn't matter. I assume the poster has already turned Bluetooth off and is just using the lighthouses manually to remove any possibility that BT might cause a problem.
I had them connected by the sync cable and switched to a/b mode and that didn't change the issue, if that's what you mean?
During the big "cover all reflectives" experiment I both turned them off and covered them with opaque cloth, no impact :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I had them connected by the sync cable and switched to a/b mode and that didn't change the issue, if that's what you mean?

No, I was commenting on zalasthusix (?) comment about moving the link box into a line of sight which shouldn't be necessary at all as the lighthouses don't talk to the link box except for Bluetooth power on/off. I was assuming you had Bluetooth turned off in the steamVR settings because you'd have turned most things off just in case.

Finally tried Euro Truck Sim 2 on Vive. It has a lot of potential, but I couldn't find a way to re-position my POV (The scale was a bit off, and I was sitting too far back), and I couldn't find a way to disable the on-hud GPS elements.

I hope they polish and improve on this, it has so much potential.

Glass

Hmm, try to right click the controller that isn't lighting up in the SteamVR window and click Pair

Managed to get it working after trying a whole host of things which probably included this, thankyou!

Right, back to VR.

Finally tried Euro Truck Sim 2 on Vive. It has a lot of potential, but I couldn't find a way to re-position my POV (The scale was a bit off, and I was sitting too far back), and I couldn't find a way to disable the on-hud GPS elements.

I think you can press F12 to reset your position... don't accidentally hit F11, 'coz this turns VR off. and there is an assignable button for toggling the GPS popup- but I don't know what it is set to (if anything) by default.

Zalusithix

It shouldn't. I even said as much in the original comment:

Doesn't seem like that should do anything, but we're at the "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" phase.

When presented with a situation where by all common sense things should work, you're kind of left with going down the route of exhaustive systematic testing. The tracking shouldn't be affected by a radio station either, but alas it was. My method at this point is just changing things to eliminate variables.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hawkian - you do have Bluetooth disabled in steam settings? Also the camera just in case (shouldn't be a problem but will keep the USB free for the positional signals)

Tried a different power supply? Eg run an extension from another room. Or keep the lighthouses where they are but use an extension to plug one in to the others power socket

Waikis

During the big "cover all reflectives" experiment I both turned them off and covered them with opaque cloth, no impact :(

Another hail mary here, you don't have afterburner limiting your fps at 60fps right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian - you do have Bluetooth disabled in steam settings? Also the camera just in case (shouldn't be a problem but will keep the USB free for the positional signals)
yeah I tried disabling these on like the first day or two, didn't seem to change anything
Tried a different power supply? Eg run an extension from another room. Or keep the lighthouses where they are but use an extension to plug one in to the others power socket
Hmm think the problem could be at the outlet? I have an extension cord I can try I think.
Another hail mary here, you don't have afterburner limiting your fps at 60fps right?
Not running afterburner.. besides that and f.lux, any other software to watch out for?

I think the default key for re-positioning is F11, but you can rebind it in your controls.sii file. Disabling HUD is F3 for the trip advisor and F2 for the mirrors. Also, scale will vary between trucks. The most accurate trucks at the moment are Scania and Mercedes I think.

Just got back into my vive after a few weeks and man I still love this thing. Played some audioshield with some good tunes. Well worth $900 if you ask me

I think you can press F12 to reset your position... don't accidentally hit F11, 'coz this turns VR off. and there is an assignable button for toggling the GPS popup- but I don't know what it is set to (if anything) by default.

I think the default key for re-positioning is F11, but you can rebind it in your controls.sii file. Disabling HUD is F3 for the trip advisor and F2 for the mirrors. Also, scale will vary between trucks. The most accurate trucks at the moment are Scania and Mercedes I think.

Thank you both, very helpful!

Defect

So I just got 50 bucks to spend on vr games. I love Audioshield and it has tons of replayability so I'd like some recommendations on some really good games to get.

So I just got 50 bucks to spend on vr games. I love Audioshield and it has tons of replayability so I'd like some recommendations on some really good games to get.

House of the Dying Sun has great cockpit/seated VR gameplay.
Try Valve's Destinations, it's free. (Not a game)
Try the Budget Cuts demo, also free.

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes is a shooting gallery, literally, but it is fun to try out the realistic guns and mess around.

Tabletop Simulator has pretty decent VR support.

Defect

Hot Dogs, Horseshoes is a shooting gallery, literally, but it is fun to try out the realistic guns and mess around.

How does House of the Dying Sun compare to Elite Dangerous? I never played any of these kinds of games.

Oh I cannot wait for Budget Cuts. How does the multiplayer work for Tabletop Sim? Is it like Altspace where there are lobbies filled with people or do I actually need friends who have the game?

I see that Brookhaven Experiment is coming soon. Anyone excited for that? I "played"
Mostly watched my friends play
the demo and it was cool.

Does either house of the dying sun or Elite (or any game for that matter) let you use paddles along with a controller? I was gifted a set of CH pro pedals by a kind gaffer and would like to try them out but I don't have any joysticks yet. Or a wheel either for that matter.

I don't have either of those games so I would like to know which is best for vive and a 1080 with my setup.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does either house of the dying sun or Elite (or any game for that matter) let you use paddles along with a controller? I was gifted a set of CH pro pedals by a kind gaffer and would like to try them out but I don't have any joysticks yet. Or a wheel either for that matter.

I don't have either of those games so I would like to know which is best for vive and a 1080 with my setup.

Elite should be fine - it supports pedals and I doubt it forces you to use them with a hotas as they're just another type of controller. Might feel weird flying with a controller and pedals though, and with a controller you have enough axes (?) of movement to handle yaw anyway.

I am having serious tracking problems in a space where I should theoretically be more than fine. I am using the sync cable cause the lighthouse are slightly more than 5m apart.

The thing is, that no matter what I do, one of the base station appears in the wrong location in the virtual space and it is driving me crazy. Granted, this may be the indication of a problem or it may be completely unrelated.

Results: wands lose tracking all the time whene they should be clearly visible from at least one of the base station, they drift away from me, etc.

The only reflective surface is my tv which is turned off, and in any case should not be affecting where the lighthouse appears in the virtual space.

Any recommendations?

Elite should be fine - it supports pedals and I doubt it forces you to use them with a hotas as they're just another type of controller. Might feel weird flying with a controller and pedals though, and with a controller you have enough axes (?) of movement to handle yaw anyway.

Awesome. Will get it then. I really just want to make sure they work properly anyway.

Anything I should know about playing Elite with Vive? I have a 1080 if that matters.

Tumle

I am having serious tracking problems in a space where I should theoretically be more than fine. I am using the sync cable cause the lighthouse are slightly more than 5m apart.

The thing is, that no matter what I do, one of the base station appears in the wrong location in the virtual space and it is driving me crazy. Granted, this may be the indication of a problem or it may be completely unrelated.

Results: wands lose tracking all the time whene they should be clearly visible from at least one of the base station, they drift away from me, etc.

The only reflective surface is my tv which is turned off, and in any case should not be affecting where the lighthouse appears in the virtual space.

Any recommendations?
Have you tried testing the light houses one by one?
Setting them to A instead of B or C, would set them to single light house configuration.. So try that one at a time and see if the problem persists.. If it doesn't then maybe they have difuculty seeing each other:)

Have you tried testing the light houses one by one?
Setting them to A instead of B or C, would set them to single light house configuration.. So try that one at a time and see if the problem persists.. If it doesn't then maybe they have difuculty seeing each other:)

Thanks, I will try that, but isn't the point of the sync cable that they don't need to see each other?

Tumle

Thanks, I will try that, but isn't the point of the sync cable that they don't need to see each other?
Yea.. Never tried with the sync cable..
But I thought you might try it. Then that way you could test the lighthouses individually, and see if any one of them was not tracking properly.. And move on to the next step of troubleshooting:)

Just to clarify im not one of the tech geniuses here..:p I'm just trying to give my input on what way I would look for the problem:)

thematic

have you tried Holoball?
i like it more than AudioShield

Thanks for this
I'm literally only playing Holoball and AudioShield in the last 2 days.

SomTervo

Lol can't believe I forgot to post this. Sorry for super late reply, Owl.

HoopsVR - $8.49
V ARRR - $15
Cosmic Trip - $13.49
Kodon - $16.99
Polynomial II - $8.94
Valiant - $13.39
Zen Blade - $10.49
Modbox - $14.99
Bowslinger - $6.69
Felt Tip Circus - $6.39
Marble Mountain - $4.99
SculptrVR - $15.99
Crystal Rift - $4.99
Bazaar - $3.49
Volo Airsport - $8.70

Full Price H3 - $20

In terms of value-for-money, The Solus Project, Out of Ammo and A Chair in a Room are probably your best bets.

I haven't finished A Chair in a Room yet, but judging by the level-count, it seems pretty damn long, and what I played had great story and puzzles.

However, it is a psychological horror game, and some of it is fucking unpleasant to experience. Brilliant, but unpleasant. Like a playable David Lynch movie, or playable Jacob's Ladder (sans the gore).

PS amazing avvy, only just noticed it

bj00rn_

Banned
GPUs are being weird with people saying their 1080s are only showing 50% usage. Maybe CPU bottleneck?

Definitely think so. pcars is a nightmare to finetune for running at 90 Hz without reprojection on my 3770k.. a shame because when everything clicks together it's an awesome experience (with a wheel of course)

kinggroin

Banned
Definitely think so. pcars is a nightmare to finetune for running at 90 Hz without reprojection on my 3770k.. a shame because when everything clicks together it's an awesome experience (with a wheel of course)

Settings recommended for a 970 + FX8350@4.4Ghz ?

bj00rn_

Banned
Settings recommended for a 970 + FX8350@4.4Ghz ?

Just dial everything to low and go from there.. every track is different. I'd say one of the especially important things is to turn down is the amount of ai cars, unfortunately.

Oh, and turn down the resolution on the monitor window.

You're probably going to end up reprojecting a lot anyhow.

Mokuren

Neo Member

Thrill of the Fight - $7.99 => The experience is still really barebones (with only one real adversary), so I'm not sure if it's really worth it right now. In any case, what I played I enjoyed, so I don't regret buying it. Good for a good sweat at least.

The Solus Project - $15.99 => Really beautiful survival. Playing with a 1080 and a SS 2, it stutters though. Good for long, immersive séances of gameplay, so one of the "real" games available right now for the Vive.

Felt Tip Circus - $6.39 => Although some mechanics leave a bit to be desired (I'm looking at you Lion Tamer act), this game is charming and a great local multiplayer experience if you want to play with family or friends.

A Chair in a Room - $19.99 => Really spooky. I've still not finished as it is quite long, but it's definitely worth it.

Other games that I've played and enjoyed since I've got my Vive last week are Audioshield, Holodance, The Gallery, Pierhead Arcade, Final Approach, Apollo 11 VR, Cloudlands Vr: Minigolf, HordeZ, Vanishing Realms and Mind: Path to Talamus.

I've heard people swear by Battle Dome and Hover Junkers, but they didn't make it for me. I'm planning to try Snow Fortress though (even if's not on sale), as it seems right about my alley and I got good feedback about the game in another forum recently.

My top games for the Vive right now are:

Experience: Apollo 11 VR
Adventure Game: The Gallery
Rythm Game/ Exercise Game: Audioshield
Local Multiplayer: A tie between Pierhead Arcade and Felt Tip Circus
Shooter: HordeZ
Survival Game: Solus
Game that makes you feel more like Reverend Lovejoy: Final Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom