• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okada

I'm playing through this and I've had a similar experience. Sometimes I can't tell if the game broke or I'm missing something. Currently, I'm stuck on a swan boat with zero interactive anything and I'm pretty sure some scripting broke.

The crank at front to should start the boat moving.
If it's finished moving,
look for something in the water beside the boat.

You can view hints by pressing in the left trigger and touch pad and look at the back of your hand (or something along those lines).

So, after some further testing today, it seems that one of my base stations is dead. It will sync OK but it is unable to track anything. I even interchanged positions of the base stations and the faulty one still won't track.

I already sent an email to support through the HTC Vive web page. I would appreciate it if anyone who has contacted HTC support could answer my questions:

1. Should I have received an automated email response indicating that I contacted support?

2. How much time do they usually take to answer back?

The crank at front to should start the boat moving.
If it's finished moving,
look for something in the water beside the boat.

You can view hints by pressing in the left trigger and touch pad and look at the back of your hand (or something along those lines).

Yeah I'm at the second part.
I had thrown the crank and once the boat stopped I was like "fuck, should I have kept that?"
I'll look around a bit more, thanks!

My cpu is just a little above the required, an i5-4960k at 3.9. Is this holding me back from basic performance with the Vive you think?

I'm in south FL.

Yeah, I did that :(

Any good options for extending the length of the linkbox and headset cables? Would be nice to try setting up in another room and see if that makes the difference, without having to move my PC out of my office...

Not sure about the general perf issues you've been having but Job Sim recently got an update you can get from the beta branch (it's labeled "perftest" in the drop down), that game was giving me a lot of grief, on an i5-3570k myself, and that update has now shot me up to consistent 90 with no judder or slowdown in any of the various job environments. Props to Owlchemy for taking the time to improve it so much. Hope that helps you.

Also maybe already mentioned but have you updated your firmware for everything? In addition might want to try hopping on the beta branch of SteamVR if you haven't already, sometimes there's some perf improvements in there not apparent in the main branch. Good luck!

cakefoo

*A Chair in a Room: Greenwater*
Had some issues with items bugging out and going through other things. At one point we couldnt pick up an item that we needed in order to advance. If there were an option for showing a clue, or somehow highlighting what is next would be helpful.
You can :) Hold the trigger and press and hold the touchpad button, and look at the back of the same hand that's holding that controller.

Every so often you'll find posters, postcards, etc. with controller tips printed on them. I think the waiting room has everything you need to know, but I'm not sure.

sn00zer

Kind of related/unrelated is there any way of just owning a PC without turning it into a hobby? Last time I had a gaming PC it was just a huge hassle getting it running with constant updates, both software and hardware, and then dealing with ingame settings. Kinda the reason I stopped PC gaming.

YVSL5ke.gif
It's the Ultraman game I never knew that I wanted.

Onemic

Kind of related/unrelated is there any way of just owning a PC without turning it into a hobby? Last time I had a gaming PC it was just a huge hassle getting it running with constant updates, both software and hardware, and then dealing with ingame settings. Kinda the reason I stopped PC gaming.

Software updates are an everyday occurrence in the console world now, so it's not like you'll be seeing anything new.

And no, I dont think you need to turn it into a hobby at all. You can go down that rabbit hole if you want though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's better now but not perfect. Steam will keep itself and games up to date, and if you get an nvidia GPU you can use the GeForce experience software to automatically set recommended settings based on your GPU. I,be become much better at not fiddling too much - if I spend too long in the options menu I'll be there all day and never actually play the game.

sn00zer

Software updates are an everyday occurrence in the console world now, so it's not like you'll be seeing anything new.

And no, I dont think you need to turn it into a hobby at all. You can go down that rabbit hole if you want though.
All of that is automated for me so I dont need to touch it

Glass

I really want to get my Vive looking sharper, should I try supersampling with a 980ti but a i5 2500k holding it back?

Edit: Went for it and holy sheeet this is the quality I was after. So crisp. Performance issues on something like the Lab, but The Night Cafe runs fine. Will tinker. Amazing.

Zexen

Decided to give War Thunder a quick try and damn, it's so cool. Ended playing an hour straight.

Now I can't wait for Star Citizen to be VR compatible!

Just played like an hour and a half straight of Out of Ammo. What a fun fucking game! Very unpolished right now, obviously, but they have the makings of a great game if they go the right direction with it.

Valahart

So, after some further testing today, it seems that one of my base stations is dead. It will sync OK but it is unable to track anything. I even interchanged positions of the base stations and the faulty one still won't track.

I already sent an email to support through the HTC Vive web page. I would appreciate it if anyone who has contacted HTC support could answer my questions:

1. Should I have received an automated email response indicating that I contacted support?

2. How much time do they usually take to answer back?

I had to contact support a few times, I've used their instant online chat, works pretty okay. You should try that.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I've been revisiting Elite Dangerous. With the 1080 and supersampling at 1.5, Ultra settings mostly work. You get a bit of stutter in some of the stations but so far I'm okay with it. I just have to keep tinkering a bit.

I got my HOTAS and voiceattack setup again so it is a lot of fun. I forgot how awesome it is in VR.

Mokuren

Neo Member
Had my first Vive experience today - full play space with lighthouses, etc.

Only 5 minutes - I got the shipwreck / sharks / fish demo, and a go on the 3d painting.

Mind-blowingly immersive. (my last VR experience was the OR rollercoaster 100 years ago). Freaking amazing looking around in 3d space and "seeing" the controllers sat there on the table waiting to be picked up.

Found the screen door noticeable on "plain" backgrounds, not when there were complex things like sharks.

I get why the oni walking pad thing is good - I wanted to walk and explore so much more than the lighthouse would allow.

I want one desperately. But I don't want one £689 :( If Blizz announce Wow 2: VR MMO, I'll be there day one though.

I got exactly the opposite feeling after getting my Vive. Before buying it, I was constantly worrying about the lack of space in my living room and the inconvenience/unsafety of walking around attached to a wire (it didn't help that there were a lot of jokes in Neogaf some months ago about having to be a millionaire to own a Vive as you need a spare room and a buttler to handle the wire, mostly coming from PSVR, Oculus enthusiasts and people lacking the budget to afford a VR system in the first place).

I bought it nonetheless, as I've loved trying new gimmicks since the "good" old times of the original eyetoy, but I thought that I would end up buying an Omni's virtuix on top of that, just to be able to explore large areas and move around in general, as VR was meant to be. After owning a Vive for a week and playing most of the games available right now on steam, I've completely changed my mind. There's only one game I'm unable to play due to the size of my playing area (unseen diplomacy) and although it seems cool enough, with 32 VR games (not counting the demos and short experiences) on my account, I don't feel particularly deprived. Concerning the wire, I'm aware that is there while walking around, but it doesn't detract from my immersion. I just became used to it like five minutes after having the HDM on, and barely notice it anymore as it has become second nature to get it out of my way when needed.

In the end you just don't need that much space to walk around in most of the games, and when you are confronted to big areas in games like The Solus Project or Mind: Path to Thalamus, you don't really feel like walking from point A to point B all the time. Teleportation just becomes so natural and convenient that you just teleport to an area, explore your inmediate surrondings by walking two or three feet around you and teleport again when you want to explore something that is far from you. Virtuix would be cool for jogging in a VR sports minigame or a version of Zombies, Run! VR, but for me that's about it, even if I love all kind of exercise games and I'm fit enough to endure a couple of hours of active VR games (audioshield, holodance, etc) when I feel like it.

Okay, guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on this thing. I wanna know two things:

1. Is it worth the price at the moment? Are there any good games on Steam?

2. Is there a return policy on this in case I end up hating it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Okay, guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on this thing. I wanna know two things:

1. Yes but you're in a thread mostly full of people that are happy with theirs. As long as you go in realising this is early tech and is great but will still evolve rapidly.

2. In Europe at least its 14 day return policy if you buy direct from HTC.

GlamFM

Banned
EDIT: One down!

2 Questions!

-Recently the tracking has gotten a little funky - do I have to recalibrate the entire setup every once in a while? Controllers track just fine - but the image in the headset jumps around a little sometimes.

-Can i somehow adjust the overall brightness? Bright areas sometimes cause "flares" inside my lenses and I find that super annoying.

Thanks.

I had to contact support a few times, I've used their instant online chat, works pretty okay. You should try that.

Thanks, did just that. The guy confirmed that the Base Station is indeed faulty and I will have to send it in for repairs. Pretty bummed, but at least now I know why this thing seemed so underwhelming to me.

it's quite amazing, price varies very much from person to person, i personally think it's insanely expensive combined with the heavy duty PC it requires.

Not too many, just small techdemos and single thing games like Hover Junkers that are fun for awhile. They are quite amazing though and really worth the experience.

Eve Valkyrie, Project Cars and Elite Dangerous seem to be the only great full games.

Faith

I hope it's the right place to ask. I'm switching from GTX 970 SLI to a single card solution. My main reason for buying the new graphicscard will be the HTC Vive. So what would make more sense? Buying the GTX 1070 or the GTX 1080 for the HTC Vive?

GlamFM

Banned
I hope it's the right place to ask. I'm switching from GTX 970 SLI to a single card solution. My main reason for buying the new graphicscard will be the HTC Vive. So what would make more sense? Buying the GTX 1070 or the GTX 1080 for the HTC Vive?

Faster card is faster, but for now the 1070 will be just fine. A year from now? Two or three years? Maybe not anymore.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Is the GTX 1070 fast enough to play all VR games maxed out @90fps?
on low to medium settings yes.
on high or ultra..no it doesn't exist yet
1080 on high seems to be about best you should expect till devs update their games to utilize newer renders etc

SomTervo

Yeah I'm at the second part.
I had thrown the crank and once the boat stopped I was like "fuck, should I have kept that?"
I'll look around a bit more, thanks!

Read your hand.

When in doubt, read the hand.

it's quite amazing, price varies very much from person to person, i personally think it's insanely expensive combined with the heavy duty PC it requires.

Not too many, just small techdemos and single thing games like Hover Junkers that are fun for awhile. They are quite amazing though and really worth the experience.

Eve Valkyrie, Project Cars and Elite Dangerous seem to be the only great full games.

The Solus Project is 100% a full game. Whole campaign over 10-15 long levels, semi-open world/metroidvania adventure puzzle game with survival elements. Average VR time seems to be about 30 hours, but some people have spent upwards of 200 hours in it which... I just can't comprehend. It must be a pretty great virtual tourism experience even if you ignore the exploration/survival/puzzle gameplay.

Whether it's great or not is up to you, though. Vive implementation is OK but not quite finished.

Bought The Solus Project just before the sale ended. How is it on the Vive? Good experience?

At launch VR was super rough, Vive especially, and people went mad at us for it. Bumped our Steam review scores down 10%.

We pushed an update on 11 June which improved it a lot.

Some people report a perfect VR experience, others say it's good-not-great, a vocal minority say it's terrible. I'm fairly confident the vocal minority simply haven't changed controller settings, though.

If you try it and it's not working very well, go into options and change the control method.

cakefoo

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but I'm curious what would happen if I split the ribbon cable into 3 and re-wrapped them into more of a rounded bundle?

Please don't say it.

Only one way to find out...

derFeef

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but I'm curious what would happen if I split the ribbon cable into 3 and re-wrapped them into more of a rounded bundle?

Please don't say it.

Only one way to find out...

I thought of that too, maybe use shrinking hose as well.

Finally got around to printing out a cable belt clip. Had been just looping the cable through a belt loop up to this point. While that works to eliminate 99% of the pull on the headset, it offsets the cable to the side, and keeps the cable from sitting completely flat on the head strap. Always wants to twist a bit. With the clip, there's zero pull, is perfectly centered, and the cable lays flat. It's somewhat baffling they never included something like that to begin with. Makes the cord handling experience so much better.

Had these delivered today. They are amazingly effective To be honest the weight of the cable has never bothered me before, but decided to try this anyway. Don't think it go back to not using it now.

Thanks for the design Zalusithix

SomTervo

*A Chair in a Room: Greenwater*
Had some issues with items bugging out and going through other things. At one point we couldnt pick up an item that we needed in order to advance. If there were an option for showing a clue, or somehow highlighting what is next would be helpful.

As said earlier on this page, the game literally has that mechanic. It teaches you it in the first five minutes.

Turn your wrist over and hold trigger + touchpad i think.

Also it's worth trying Spell Fighter VR again - but ignore the spells. Play it as a swordfighting game, Elder Scrills style. A way, way better experience.

Zalusithix

Had these delivered today. They are amazingly effective To be honest the weight of the cable has never bothered me before, but decided to try this anyway. Don't think it go back to not using it now.

Thanks for the design Zalusithix

Just to be clear again, unlike the lighthouse related stuff I've posted before, it's not actually my design. That said, I'm glad everybody that's tried it so far has agreed that it's an improvement to the experience.

I am actually thinking about modifying the design though. The existing one works fine and holds in place well. A bit too well actually for when I want to quickly alternate between having the headset on and off. Takes a bit of fiddling with my fingers to get the clip to release from my belt. Not the end of the world by any means, especially given that I usually put it on and leave it on for long sessions, but it got me to thinking about a quick release design.

The magnets I used for my lighthouse mounts should be easy enough to incorporate into a cable clip where the cable part magnetically latches to the belt clip. Should have enough strength to keep it together while moving, but easy enough to pull apart when needed without extra futzing.

Onemic

1. Is it worth the price? At the moment? No.

My opinion is closer to that of Jeff on Giantbomb. The tech itself is amazing, but its not $800 amazing for what you get right now. I dont regret my purchase, but I also knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I'd only recommend purchasing one if you're mainly interested in the emergence of a new platform and seeing it grow. If you're expecting a matured platform like what we currently have on consoles, you will be disappointed. Most of the games are more proof of concept and small experiences, but that's sorta the beauty of going into this now and being at the frontlines of witnessing the growth a new medium.

If you're in it because you're mainly interested in the VR tech and do not mind that even more so than a traditional console launch, it will take some time for full featured games to release, get it right now.

If you're interested because you want it to enhance the traditional games you currently play, get it once gen 2 or 3 hits

I think Out of Ammo is the most fun I've had in VR to date. There's a co-op beta branch available if anybody wants to give that a go with me at some point!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1. Is it worth the price? At the moment? No.

My opinion is closer to that of Jeff on Giantbomb. The tech itself is amazing, but its not $800 amazing for what you get right now. I dont regret my purchase, but I also knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I'd only recommend purchasing one if you're mainly interested in the emergence of a new platform and seeing it grow. If you're expecting a matured platform like what we currently have on consoles, you will be disappointed. Most of the games are more proof of concept and small experiences, but that's sorta the beauty of going into this now and being at the frontlines of witnessing the growth a new medium.

If you're in it because you're mainly interested in the VR tech and do not mind that even more so than a traditional console launch, it will take some time for full featured games to release, get it right now.

If you're interested because you want it to enhance the traditional games you currently play, get it once gen 2 or 3 hits

I'd like to think from all the impressions threads and caveats we've thrown around, this would be the understood position, but it can't be stated enough.

Unless you're really into one specific game that has a good VR implementation - like Elite or PCars, and you're the sort of person that might consider $800 a valid investment just for that - probably cheaper than a triple screen monitor setup.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I watched Portugal - Poland through Virtual Desktop in the cinema room and it was awesome. I wish it could be done with a social element a la Rec Room, it'd be amazing.

Just to be clear again, unlike the lighthouse related stuff I've posted before, it's not actually my design. That said, I'm glad everybody that's tried it so far has agreed that it's an improvement to the experience.

I am actually thinking about modifying the design though. The existing one works fine and holds in place well. A bit too well actually for when I want to quickly alternate between having the headset on and off. Takes a bit of fiddling with my fingers to get the clip to release from my belt. Not the end of the world by any means, especially given that I usually put it on and leave it on for long sessions, but it got me to thinking about a quick release design.

The magnets I used for my lighthouse mounts should be easy enough to incorporate into a cable clip where the cable part magnetically latches to the belt clip. Should have enough strength to keep it together while moving, but easy enough to pull apart when needed without extra futzing.

Interesting, would love to see your adjustments.

The guy who printed it for me said the first one he printed wouldn't fit together, so he made some changes to the design and sent me the two that came out the best. I don't know if it's by accident, but instead of being a tight fit in the whole notch, it's only the middle that grips, so it easy for me to just reach to the back of my jeans and with a little pressure, slide the wire holding part out of the notch. Really pleased with the service, and it was only £5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom