• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just to be clear again, unlike the lighthouse related stuff I've posted before, it's not actually my design. That said, I'm glad everybody that's tried it so far has agreed that it's an improvement to the experience.

I am actually thinking about modifying the design though. The existing one works fine and holds in place well. A bit too well actually for when I want to quickly alternate between having the headset on and off. Takes a bit of fiddling with my fingers to get the clip to release from my belt. Not the end of the world by any means, especially given that I usually put it on and leave it on for long sessions, but it got me to thinking about a quick release design.

The magnets I used for my lighthouse mounts should be easy enough to incorporate into a cable clip where the cable part magnetically latches to the belt clip. Should have enough strength to keep it together while moving, but easy enough to pull apart when needed without extra futzing.

Just watch out for accidentally wiping the cards in your wallet with a belt-mounted magnet, heh

I think I'd go for a padded clamp of some sort with an easy clasp. Could mark your preferred length on the cord with some tape or something.

pj

Banned
Maybe this is a dumb idea, but I'm curious what would happen if I split the ribbon cable into 3 and re-wrapped them into more of a rounded bundle?

Please don't say it.

Only one way to find out...

I think it's flat so it's less uncomfortable to step on

Zalusithix

Interesting, would love to see your adjustments.

The guy who printed it for me said the first one he printed wouldn't fit together, so he made some changes to the design and sent me the two that came out the best. I don't know if it's by accident, but instead of being a tight fit in the whole notch, it's only the middle that grips, so it easy for me to just reach to the back of my jeans and with a little pressure, slide the wire holding part out of the notch. Really pleased with the service, and it was only £5.
Could be a calibration issue with the printer. The tolerances of the design are quite tight. Mine fit together after cleaning up the print, but only just. Once they're locked together, they're pretty much one unit with no play. The amount of force required to separate them would be too much for easy removal.

If the clip design works out, I'll make it available to the public. Unlike my lighthouse mounts which were designed around random hardware I had laying around the house, it would be possible to point to the exact magnets used in the clip so there's no reason not to make it public.

Just watch out for accidentally wiping the cards in your wallet with a belt-mounted magnet, heh

I think I'd go for a padded clamp of some sort with an easy clasp. Could mark your preferred length on the cord with some tape or something.

Hah, thankfully I don't use the system with wallet in my pocket. Nor my keys or phone for that matter. The less weight I'm dragging around, the better.

Clamps could work, but they're fairly bulky and heavy for what they do.

Edit:
I think it's flat so it's less uncomfortable to step on
Really not sure what making it rounded would gain. Ultimately it'd be just as inflexible - slightly more flexible in one direction, slightly less in the other. It'd be just as heavy. Actually, it'd be heavier as you'd have to use something to keep it together.

The only real improvement you could make is a single cable design. Less weight and more flexible due to less insulation. The current 3 cable design is ridiculous. At least use a USB3 spec cable to pass the power so you don't need 3 connectors and cables. Sure it might not be able to handle the distance at USB3 speeds, but they're already breaking standard spec with that A to A design. Might as well break it a bit more for an improved user experience.

GlamFM

Banned
Reposting because y´all IGNORED ME! ;)

2 Questions!

-Recently the tracking has gotten a little funky - do I have to recalibrate the entire setup every once in a while? Controllers track just fine - but the image in the headset jumps around a little sometimes.

-Can i somehow adjust the overall brightness? Bright areas sometimes cause "flares" inside my lenses and I find that super annoying.

Thanks.

on low to medium settings yes.
on high or ultra..no it doesn't exist yet
1080 on high seems to be about best you should expect till devs update their games to utilize newer renders etc

Are you talking about VR native games or standard games with VR functionality added on like Project Cars, Assetto Corsa etc.?

If they're referring to VR native games then the 1070 should be able to play all at medium to high settings. It's the standard games with VR added on that may not run at high settings.

Zalusithix

2 Questions!

-Recently the tracking has gotten a little funky - do I have to recalibrate the entire setup every once in a while? Controllers track just fine - but the image in the headset jumps around a little sometimes.

-Can i somehow adjust the overall brightness? Bright areas sometimes cause "flares" inside my lenses and I find that super annoying.

Thanks.

• I've seen the need to rerun room setup for things like floor level drift, but not tracking issues. That said, it takes all of a minute to do, so it doesn't hurt to try.
  • No. Not that I'm aware of at any rate. Flares would still happen anyhow. They'd be dimmer, but so would everything else, so I don' t think you'd see much of a net gain.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interesting, would love to see your adjustments.

The guy who printed it for me said the first one he printed wouldn't fit together, so he made some changes to the design and sent me the two that came out the best. I don't know if it's by accident, but instead of being a tight fit in the whole notch, it's only the middle that grips, so it easy for me to just reach to the back of my jeans and with a little pressure, slide the wire holding part out of the notch. Really pleased with the service, and it was only £5.

where did you get it printed? I'm in the UK too.

edit: Glam's post reminds me I need to redo setup - I bumped into a wall playing Final Approach even though the chaperone said I was still in the safe zone. Has anyone had theirs drift?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Weird I just got a "Vive Update" box that popped up out of nowhere. Says "Preparing..." Was something just pushed out today? Where does that come from, it doesn't seem like it's part of Steam at all.
I have an i5 3570k@2.4 but i have SSDs and a new MSI GTX 1070 OC and everything seems fine for me so far. I had my first crash last night but that was because i only have 8GB and ran out of memory playing with the "Dimensions" tool. I should have 16GB by the weekend and i'll be upgrading mobo, cpu and ram in a few months.
Yeah, I thought my specs should be pretty fine...
Have you tried the Vive or Occulus PC Performance tools? MY GTX 670 held me back for Vive but CPU & GFX held me back from Occulus.
Downloading it now.

What diagonal distance is between the Lighthouses/basestations?
About 3.8 meters
Have you tried connecting them via the sync-cable?
Yeah, and switching them to A/b manual mode. No impact :(

I was ok with a 3570k at 4GHz and GTX970 OC for a while until I upgraded, so you should be fine, assuming nothing is running in the background sucking up any power? Weird and its a shame you still haven't got it properly fixed.
Yeah I should be exceeding the recommended in total by a fair bit- especially for pretty basic stuff. That's what I really don't get- going from a 780 to 1080 really did nothing with regard to this issue.
Not sure about the general perf issues you've been having but Job Sim recently got an update you can get from the beta branch (it's labeled "perftest" in the drop down), that game was giving me a lot of grief, on an i5-3570k myself, and that update has now shot me up to consistent 90 with no judder or slowdown in any of the various job environments. Props to Owlchemy for taking the time to improve it so much. Hope that helps you.
Thanks, I grabbed that. Will test it out later.
Also maybe already mentioned but have you updated your firmware for everything? In addition might want to try hopping on the beta branch of SteamVR if you haven't already, sometimes there's some perf improvements in there not apparent in the main branch. Good luck!
Yah, firmware is all set and I'm on the VR beta. Appreciate it!

2 Questions!

Haha, uh, if you solve this please report detailed instructions

Like a display Gamma setting. I was wondering about this too but I haven't seen it anywhere. The default brightness actually seemed pretty decent to me to begin with though :(

SomTervo

2 Questions!

Thanks.

Funnily enough I have these issues, too.

However, for me, the head-tracking is only an issue in particular situations. When I'm on the SteamVR 'moon' arena or during loading screens for certain games.

Also had a crazy situation in Lightblade VR last night where the game was running in slow motion. Every other game was running fine. But Lightblade was super slow and made blocking every laser blast super easy. I beat the Master challenge with ease because lasers travelled at like 2mph.

Feels like I cheated :(

Anyone seen that in any other games

Just ordered some prescription lens inserts for my Vive. Cost $108 because I needed a strong prescription. Still surprisingly cheap given how much I pay for my normal eye glasses.

This should make my Vive much better, I think. I've actually been using it without my glasses lately, because it makes the headset MUUUUCH more comfortable.

Zalusithix

Funnily enough I have these issues, too.

However, for me, the head-tracking is only an issue in particular situations. When I'm on the SteamVR 'moon' arena or during loading screens for certain games.

Those aren't tracking issues, but performance ones. Tracking issues would manifest in an experience that was consistently bad across anything and everything you threw at it. Situations that spike CPU/GPU usage can cause frames to drop which will cause the tracking to skip a beat and thus jump when it catches up. Edit: Rather, it's not the tracking itself that skips, but the frame drop(s) causes the image to jump as the next updated position is further than ideal from the previous.

SomTervo

Those aren't tracking issues, but performance ones. Tracking issues would manifest in an experience that was consistently bad across anything and everything you threw at it. Situations that spike CPU/GPU usage can cause frames to drop which will cause the tracking to skip a beat and thus jump when it catches up. Edit: Rather, it's not the tracking itself that skips, but the frame drop(s) causes the image to jump as the next updated position is further than ideal from the previous.

Makes perfect sense. Really obvious. I think it's RAM related. Thinking back, it only ever happens when I have Google Chrome open with like 30 tabs, and that must be taking up unspeakable gigabytes of RAM.

So is anybody else still having the issue where you have to launch Steam VR twice? I swear since launch Steam VR has never actually turned on my headset the first time.

Zalusithix

So is anybody else still having the issue where you have to launch Steam VR twice? I swear since launch Steam VR has never actually turned on my headset the first time.

I've never experienced that. Heck, I don't remember people talking about always having to double start SteamVR back at launch, so it must have not been that pervasive even then. Plenty of people having issues with lighthouses not turning on/off back then, but that's an entirely different issue from the headset itself. The most I can claim recently is SteamVR sometimes turning off the lighthouses before actually being exited. Thankfully it never happens in game - just in the hub. Still throws me for a loop when it happens though.

RedFox85

I gotta say, I really like the vive hardware and the idea behind it all but the occulus has the actual games I want to play. I just recently picked up chronos to run on revive and the game is freaking fantastic.. I can't believe nobody has made an OT for this. I also have my eye on edge of nowhere, I am half tempted to make a 1:1 trade for an occulus at this point (only half serious ;-)).

I really hope we start seeing experiences like this make their way to this side of the market as I am getting pretty tired of shooting gallery after shooting gallery. Also, screw dreadhalls.. that was horrifying.

I've never experienced that. Heck, I don't remember people talking about always having to double start SteamVR back at launch, so it must have not been that pervasive even then. Plenty of issues with lighthouses not turning on/off, but that's an entirely different issue from the headset itself. The most I can claim recently is SteamVR sometimes turning off the lighthouses before actually being exited. Thankfully it never happens in game - just in the hub. Still throws me for a loop when it happens though.

Yeah I know at least one other person in one of these threads had the issue. It's not terrible since it happens 100% of the time and I can just open Steam VR, close it, and reopen it before even trying the headset.

I also had the issues with the lighthouses turning off/not turning off. The experience was horrible when that happened so I just turned the automation off. Might be fixed by now, but it's honestly not worth the risk. I'm fine just unplugging on of them after each session.

I have so many great HTC Vive experiences to play now, thanks to the Steam Summer Sale!

My birthday was the day after the Steam sale started, so my girlfriend bought me Catlateral Damage and Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, & Hand Grenades.

For myself, I bought HoloBall, Pool Nation VR, The Gallery - EP1: Call of the Starseed, Vanishing Realms, HordeZ, Space Pirate Trainer, Apollo 11 VR, and Battle Dome. I also bought Firewatch so I can fully experience Will Smith's The FOO Show.

Today I bought The Brookhaven Experiment. Just waiting for it to unlock to download. It'll probably be too scary for me, but I want to try and push through it.

I have one pole and clamp setup for one of my lighthouses and it's working out great, so I ordered another set today for the other one. No more Room Setup or moving the tripod anymore for me soon, hopefully.

When browsing VR stuff, I also downloaded some free games/experiences: Waltz of the Wizard, InCell, and The Cubicle.

So, yeah, I have plenty to keep me busy for a while. The sale was good timing with me getting my replacement Vive and settling into my new house as it started.

jaypah

I asked earlier but nobody wants me to give me major keys. They don't want to see me shooting skeletons in Spell Fighter.

But really, can anyone tell me how to reload the pistol in Spell Fighters?

Zalusithix

For myself, I bought HoloBall, Pool Nation VR, The Gallery - EP1: Call of the Starseed, Vanishing Realms, HordeZ, Space Pirate Trainer, Apollo 11 VR, and Battle Dome. I also bought Firewatch so I can fully experience Will Smith's The FOO Show..

Is there something I'm unaware of here? The episode works fine without the game. All the assets are independent from the game itself.

I asked earlier but nobody wants me to give me major keys. They don't want to see me shooting skeletons in Spell Fighter.

But really, can anyone tell me how to reload the pistol in Spell Fighters?

According to this Steam thread, they are two shot and throw away which is why there's so many of them lying around. Haven't played it myself but a quick google gave me that thread.

Leatherface

So it looks like I am going to be a proud Vive owner tomorrow. Woot!! I finally had a chance to try VR last week at a friends house (who recently bought a Vive) and it was really a game changer for me. When reviewers say you just can't comprehend how immersive and mind blowing it is, they really mean it. So obviously I had zero self control and bought it. I would have punted a baby for this honestly. lol. Good thing I had a credit card. :p But yeah, it is all true and there are no videos or pictures that can help you understand the grandeur and spectacle of it all. Even the lamest looking games that you would never imagine could be any good are a whole other level in VR. Blown away. I'm ready GAF. >:)

Anyhow I have a couple questions for those who recently purchased.

1. Motion Sickness- I know this varies based on the person, but there are a few games I bought that I am curious about. I've mostly played wave shooter type games and have had zero issues. However, Project Cars and House of the Dying Sun are a little different. Have any of you had issues with motion sickness with either of these games? I'm not sure if there are certain things that trigger it more than others? I know framerate can be a factor, but I also heard motion in general can be a problem. Can someone clarify? What should I avoid when it comes to purchasing games for this thing?

2. Did I draw the short straw or is HTC customer service a new level of hell? So I've had a couple issues with them so far. First and foremost they shipped with FedEx and require a signature on delivery. FedeX will not let me change or reroute the shipping, leave a sig at the door so they can leave it, or even let me pick it up. WTF? This is all due to the will of HTC, so I called them to see if they would work with me. NOPE. I basically have to take a day from work to get this or go through FedEx missed my package hell. My other option is AFTER they attempt to deliver 3 times I will need to pick it up....from the fucking airport. Can HTC be any more annoying? Why YES, they can!

So part of the deal of buying the Vive is that it comes with a STEAM code with 3 free games. They sent me the code but when I tried to claim it, STEAM tells me it is being used by another user. Awesome.. So I email HTC support, they get back to me a day later and tell me that they need my order number. No problem. Done (even though I sent it to them originally, but okay..). Another day passes. Now they want my serial #? REALLY? You can't ask for all the stuff you need at the beginning? Not only that but I clearly stated that I just ordered the Vive so why the hell would I have a serial number?!!
I am so annoyed at this company who are apparently intent on making it pure hell for me to actually get said device and enjoy it. They had no problem taking my money instantly though.. :\
So now I'm left here half excited and half rage filled. I am trying to stay focused on the end game here but damn. I feel like these fuckers are getting in between me and gaming bliss. I'LL CUT YOU! >:|

Brookhaven comes out in less than an hour, its 25% right now which i believe goes away once it releases. If youre gonna buy it may wanna do it now.

Zalusithix

1. Motion Sickness- I know this varies based on the person, but there are a few games I bought that I am curious about. I've mostly played wave shooter type games and have had zero issues. However, Project Cars and House of the Dying Sun are a little different. Have any of you had issues with motion sickness with either of these games? I'm not sure if there are certain things that trigger it more than others? I know framerate can be a factor, but I also heard motion in general can be a problem. Can someone clarify? What should I avoid when it comes to purchasing games for this thing?

2. Did I draw the short straw or is HTC customer service a new level of hell? So I've had a couple issues with them so far. First and foremost they shipped with FedEx and require a signature on delivery. FedeX will not let me change or reroute the shipping, leave a sig at the door so they can leave it, or even let me pick it up. WTF? This is all due to the will of HTC, so I called them to see if they would work with me. NOPE. I basically have to take a day from work to get this or go through FedEx missed my package hell. My other option is AFTER they attempt to deliver 3 times I will need to pick it up....from the fucking airport. Can HTC be any more annoying? Why YES, they can!

So part of the deal of buying the Vive is that it comes with a STEAM code with 3 free games. They sent me the code but when I tried to claim it, STEAM tells me it is being used by another user. Awesome.. So I email HTC support, they get back to me a day later and tell me that they need my order number. No problem. Done (even though I sent it to them originally, but okay..). Another day passes. Now they want my serial #? REALLY? You can't ask for all the stuff you need at the beginning? Not only that but I clearly stated that I just ordered the Vive so why the hell would I have a serial number?!!
I am so annoyed at this company who are apparently intent on making it pure hell for me to actually get said device and enjoy it. They had no problem taking my money instantly though.. :\

1) Nausea is caused by movement in game when the body is still. All movement can cause it, but rotation is the big problem causer. In the case of cockpit type games like you mentioned, this is offset by having a fixed frame of reference - the cockpit. The cockpit remains stationary in relation to your body, so you can get away with rotation. For most people at least. I wont put anything in absolutes other than roomscale walking. That is pretty much guaranteed to not cause problems because it's exactly the same feedback loop as real life.

So no, you're unlikely to get nauseous from playing either of those games, but at the same time, it wont feel as natural as roomscale type games. Even if the worst case basis happens and you turn out to be super susceptible to even cockpit games, you can always get a refund on Steam.

2) Yes, HTC's support is known to be less than stellar for the Vive unfortunately. The only saving grace for them is Oculus support also sucks. Otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot big time there.

I think Out of Ammo is the most fun I've had in VR to date. There's a co-op beta branch available if anybody wants to give that a go with me at some point!

I'd definitely be down to play some Co-Op at some point.

I've always loved tower defense games so this was one of the first games I bought when I got my Vive and I've already gotten more than my money worth from it, Co-Op is just icing on the cake :D

Brookhaven comes out in less than an hour, its 25% right now which i believe goes away once it releases. If youre gonna buy it may wanna do it now.

I loved the demo so much that I picked it up even though I probably won't make it past a few minutes each time I try to play it :p

I really hope they implement multiplayer support if possible as that would go a long way in making the game easier to play in terms of being too overwhelming to play alone.

Leatherface

1) Nausea is caused by movement in game when the body is still. All movement can cause it, but rotation is the big problem causer. In the case of cockpit type games like you mentioned, this is offset by having a fixed frame of reference - the cockpit. The cockpit remains stationary in relation to your body, so you can get away with rotation.

I think you are right on the money. I just found a very interesting video to help reduce motion sickness in Project Cars. Very interesting. Have any of you tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHx9qQkYvY

I watched Portugal - Poland through Virtual Desktop in the cinema room and it was awesome. I wish it could be done with a social element a la Rec Room, it'd be amazing.

I wouldn't expect a legitimate social experience for something like this to happen for awhile. The legality of it is pretty murky as a lot of sports/live event content has stuff against public display without having a license.

Helznicht

I would have punted a baby for this honestly.

Have at it!

1. Motion Sickness-

Be wary of standing and using touch or sticks to move. Seated may feel weird at first but after a couple days they should not cause you hardly any issues from my experience.

2. HTC customer service a new level of hell?

I have no experience here, everything has been fine for me.

I feel like these fuckers are getting in between me and gaming bliss. I'LL CUT YOU! >:|

Deep breaths man, nothing to get worked up about. Nothing but demos and science projects on Vive-Steam anyways.
Vive is all I ever play anymore

where did you get it printed? I'm in the UK too.

edit: Glam's post reminds me I need to redo setup - I bumped into a wall playing Final Approach even though the chaperone said I was still in the safe zone. Has anyone had theirs drift?

I will send you a pm with the details as I have a referral link you may be able to use to get it for free. No idea if it will work, haven't read the small print. Worth a shot though. If not, the details will be there for you to order regardless.

artsi

Many have been complaining about HTC's support, especially regarding the RMA process.

I'm definitely going to buy my next Vive from a local retailer (they have stock at last) so I never have to do business with them directly again.

I gotta say, I really like the vive hardware and the idea behind it all but the occulus has the actual games I want to play. I just recently picked up chronos to run on revive and the game is freaking fantastic.. I can't believe nobody has made an OT for this. I also have my eye on edge of nowhere, I am half tempted to make a 1:1 trade for an occulus at this point (only half serious ;-)).

Just keep using ReVive. It works on virtually everything now that Oculus removed that hardware check from the DRM.

As I've said before in this thread, I agree that Oculus has the better lineup of polished/finished games atm, and they deserve a lot of credit for that.

Metal B

Does running on the spot really fix whatever it is that makes people not like artificial movement?
Yes it does. I tried the "Controller in Pants"-Demo and i worked perfectly, even so i am very sensitive for motion sickness.
Working on the spot is only hold back, through the limitation of sensors and controllers. It's really time, that HTC begins selling Lighthouse sensors to third-party developers or sell basic sensors to consumers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spell fighter VR update
Finally I caught up with my regular job and found some time to work on Spell Fighter. What's new:

- permanent item-hand snapping - you can now just single-click the GRIP button, which snaps an object to your hand, until you clik GRIP button again. Just holding the GRIP button works as before.

- grabbing stuff from the ground - your real world floor level is now always a few inches below the VR ground. You are a little shorter in game, but this way big Vive controllers don't block your hands from grabbing things from the ground.

- turning with the right trackpad, when in teleportation mode, is now possible only after clicking and holding it for 2 seconds. This should prevent accidental pressing.

- teleportation system - you now point on the ground with an "arc", instead of directly. You still need to wait for your avatar to get to the spot you pointed.

- fixed a bug where you couldn't shoot the second bullet from a pistol with your other hand.

cool idea. Wonder how "sensitive" the motion is

Someone's finally making the Road Rash in VR game I've always wanted. Coming Q1-Q2 2017.

MonoWheels VR

9PcuLFR.jpg

EDIT:

More awesome concept art:

Leatherface

Many have been complaining about HTC's support, especially regarding the RMA process.

I'm definitely going to buy my next Vive from a local retailer (they have stock at last) so I never have to do business with them directly again.

If only I could turn back time, I would do the same. They are a nightmare. Hopefully this is all sorted out by tomorrow evening and I can put that experience behind me. But definitely noted for future purchases. I really never want to deal with these people again if I can avoid it. Once they have your money they really just don't give any shits at all.

How many rounds are there in the Brookhaven Experiment demo? Seriously not sure I can handle anymore.

The end of that demo was straight up stressful the first time. :'(
Tbh I absolutely love this game, but the demo is child's play compared to the real game. Way smaller areas makes it so you can't see them coming as far away.

If the demo is too much for you i wouldn't buy this

Be careful with flashbangs. That shit sucks when you hit yourself with it. Couldn't see shit and had tons of enemies right by me. Just started firing blindly.

Leatherface

Tbh I absolutely love this game, but the demo is child's play compared to the real game. Way smaller areas makes it so you can't see them coming as far away.

If the demo is too much for you i wouldn't buy this

Nah i loved it. It was just my very first VR experience and the scale and creepiness was startling at times. It was that wtf moment at the end that got me the most. All in good fun though. I already bought the game and can't wait to try it when my Vive arrives tomorrow. I find the demo way too easy now and go straight to Space Pirate trainer for a challenge. I'm betting that the full game is going to kick ass though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom